Quantcast

» «
Photo

Fight Net Neutrality, Save the Internet!

97 replies to this topic
Jarlaxle
  • Jarlaxle

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

I do not need the same bandwidth and consistency to load this webpage or an email that I do to watch Netflix in HD or play GTA Online.

If ISP's want to offer a better option for services that need a bigger pipeline let them offer it!

This net "neutrality" thing is just more big government intervention where it's not needed, and will have unintended consequences. Scrap it.

• Skeever and Ivan1997GTA like this

zanesix
  • zanesix

Stupid Malaka

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:54 AM Edited by zanesix, 13 July 2017 - 02:54 AM.

I don't think you have any understanding what net neutrality actually is. I recommend you watch this video:

• Moonshield, Exkabewbikadid, Tchuck and 21 others like this

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

I do not need the same bandwidth and consistency to load this webpage or an email that I do to watch Netflix in HD or play GTA Online.

If ISP's want to offer a better option for services that need a bigger pipeline let them offer it!

This net "neutrality" thing is just more big government intervention where it's not needed, and will have unintended consequences. Scrap it.

giphy.gif

• Moonshield, Exkabewbikadid, Tchuck and 12 others like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Portugal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:18 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 13 July 2017 - 03:29 PM.

So, from the depths of your innocence, you believe the abolition of net neutrality will allow ISPs to increase the bandwidth for websites that require it the most due to increased users and heavier content, is that it? So, you truly think ISPs would take this as an opportunity to take the effort of selecting the websites that need more bandwidth based on an equity principle, all of this with as a solely altruistic move to provide a better service to everyone?

From all the narrow-minded, naìve arguments I've read so far against net neutrality, yours has to break all the boundaries. Big corporations don't do anything to truly improve their services unless that means profit. Most likely, by now your ISP has a detailed profile of yourself, with all your networking habits, usage data and more because the US government also believes stopping ISPs from collecting users' data is just "big government intervention where it's not needed"; do you think that's to improve the service provided to you to make it better to your personal needs? Of course no, rather it's to auction all the data and stats to the highest bidder (which can be an advertising agency, the government or who knows else). If you investigate the power it gives to ISPs to control the bandwidth of each site, you can easily wonder all the curious ways they can make money out of that.

Edit: I tried to guess OP's state, I had "bet" for either Texas or Alabama, wasn't that far.
  • Finn 7 five 11, Evil empire, thehambone and 1 other like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Hic sunt dracones

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

I think you got it the wrong way around. 

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:56 PM Edited by The Yokel, 14 July 2017 - 07:19 AM.

Congratulations on being brainwashed.

Just when I though that people on the internet couldn't get any dumber. I guess it's a good thing that I can still be surprised, even if the surprise is negative.

• Niobium, Cripto136 and Shaytan like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • France

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:57 PM Edited by Evil empire, 14 July 2017 - 01:07 AM.

Our bosses and corrupt politicians already control the traditional medias so this attempt to give a different bandwidth to the different websistes doesn't suprise me, it will make their opponents sites out of range for the average citizen and make our countries closer and closer to North Korea or USSR.

Hayduke
  • Hayduke

Rat

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Holy sh*t brainwashing genuinely works. I was skeptical until this day. Net Neutrality, or rather not having net neutrality is an issue that has such massive ramifications for the internet as a whole that even some more new school tech corporations are in favour ofnet neutrality.

What Net Neutrality actually does is ensure that ISPs cannot restrict bandwidth based on the size, funding, google ranking etc of a webpage, not allowing faster speed for bigger websites.

Scrapping Net Neutrality is literally information control and you support it because 'ain't gonna affect mah netflix', are you really so vapid and uncaring about your own liberty and the information you receive that your only concern is NETFLIX!?

• Tchuck, anus, Finn 7 five 11 and 4 others like this

ShadowPerson
  • ShadowPerson

Intergalatic Empress of Evil.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

2FABA0FC00000578-3377831-image-a-14_1451

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

This is what happens when you leave your Intelligence attribute points at zero.

• Moonshield, El Dildo, Exkabewbikadid and 15 others like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

dance to the tension of a world on the wane

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2017
    Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:19 AM

• Niobium, Femme Fatale and The Deadite like this

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

soy boy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

And here I thought net neutrality was something everyone but wealthy Republican politicians and ISPs supported...
  • Moonshield likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:38 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 14 July 2017 - 04:39 AM.

LOL

Can't be much older than a 10 year old... Hell, some 10 year olds are pretty smart, so maybe I'm being too generous.

If they were to remove net neutrality, then you'll have to buy a package, along with just getting basic internet, to play games online, watch Netflix, use Google, log into Facebook, read up on Wiki, etc. Those will all add up, especially since they can charge you whatever they want and let alone, have a data cap to go along with it - unless you want to buy more..

So, that's a big No from me to remove net neutrality. If you want your internet restricted as'f, go live in North Korea

P.s - Be more educated on a subject before you make yourself look foolish next time. :^:

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

OK, I think people have made their point, maybe it's time to stop insulting the OP's intelligence and rather show and present evidence. Attack the argument not the person. 

• Moonshield, Star-Lord, Finn 7 five 11 and 5 others like this

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

OK, I think people have made their point, maybe it's time to stop insulting the OP's intelligence and rather show and present evidence. Attack the argument not the person. 

I agree with the need to cut out throwing sh*te at him, but I don't really think you can present evidence to someone who has a complete misunderstanding about what they're talking about. Really seems like he's got the wrong end of the stick and ran with it.

• Mister Pink and Inttelix like this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

I don't want to sound like a tin foil hat guy but seriously what is wrong with government. In Australia the exact same thing is happening this phenomenon where the government is taking away more and more consumer rights and giving large corporations more power for profit. It's despicable and I have been getting more and More motivated to perhaps one day move into politics. I'm still pretty young and have a lot of growing up to do and learning of course but it's so frustrating feeling powerless when everybody is getting screwed.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

if it weren't for your join date being two years ago, i would have believed thay you were either a bot or a troll getting paid by ISPs to spread this nonsense.

yes, ISPs have resorted to this tactic now.

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

what did he mean by this

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Mark of Eloquence [The Pit™]

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:08 PM Edited by Argonaut, 14 July 2017 - 05:14 PM.

Services that require a "bigger pipeline" deal with it themselves when required due to demand and the like. As others have said, you have completely misunderstood what this is about and how the Internet works; sites are all not hosted in one group as you seem to presuppose in a system that has levers to restrict bandwidth on certain ones. All are hosted independently, which highlights how ISPs in this proposal are trying to artificially change how the Internet works based on whether site owners can cough up enough money for "fast access".

Oh, and Trump appointed the guy who wants this to happen, which should particularly sting Trumptards who may often champion equal free speech and highlight leftists who restrict it.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

That's a pretty weird and disgusting idea big guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:27 AM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 22 November 2017 - 05:28 AM.

Thought I'd bump this thread since it's kinda relevant now: https://www.battlefo...less-we-stop-it

"This is your last chance to stop ISPs from messing up your Internet.
The FCC just announced its plan to slash net neutrality rules, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. They vote December 14th. But if Congress gets enough calls, *they* can stop the FCC."
  • Moonshield likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thought I'd bump this thread since it's kinda relevant now: https://www.battlefo...less-we-stop-it

"This is your last chance to stop ISPs from messing up your Internet.
The FCC just announced its plan to slash net neutrality rules, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. They vote December 14th. But if Congress gets enough calls, *they* can stop the FCC."

This post should be stickied, this is a very important issue which will negatively effect US internet users if net neutrality is taken away. There's still time to let your voice be heard.
  • Moonshield, Star-Lord and Richard Power Colt like this

TheFranchise
  • TheFranchise

Criminal Kingpin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Call your local reps. You can do so through this site which will link you to them and their offices https://www.battleforthenet.com/
  • Moonshield likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Another wrong move by the Trump administration. I hate this Trump guy more than ever before. Net neutrality seems a matter of little interest to him,since he had earlier opposed it as well. He is going to face serious repercussions from as many people as possible, if the government really scraps net neutrality

E•MO•TION
  • E•MO•TION

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

As a Canadian, what can I do to help?

TheFranchise
  • TheFranchise

Criminal Kingpin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:34 AM Edited by TheFranchise, 23 November 2017 - 06:35 AM.

As a Canadian, what can I do to help?

Start admitting American refugees.

In all seriousness though, we need to contact our local reps, and we need to protest on the streets. Take to the streets and make yourself visible. This cannot happen. Enough is enough. As a working man, Im tired of the rich making yet another shameless cash grab on MY back. As if the zillions theyre making isnt enough.

WE MUST STAND UP. YOU CAN SIGN A PETITION HERE https://www.savethei...et.com/sti-home
  • Jamilian_Gaming likes this

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

soy boy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

And in a stunning turn of events, Trump fans have no problem with the destruction of Net Nuetrality.

I swear, that man could say cyanide is good for you and his supporters would believe him.
  • Tchuck likes this

Not A Nice Person
  • Not A Nice Person

Bad boy down

• BUSTED!
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

The people in this thread man.

There would literally be little difference.
  • Skeever likes this

Blaze
  • Blaze

conspiracy clunge is useless clunge

• Super Sleuth Deadass
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Sleuth Deadass 2018
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Imagine you want to pull up GTAF to do some sh*tposting or load up whatever website you use when you're about to rub one out and you can't because the ISP has decided "nah we don't like this". ISP's heavily throttling connections and blocking content they don't want you to access isn't "little difference" - whether they be blocking pirate services or anything that doesn't agree with the ISP's political compass, the fact the movement to block is spearheaded by someone from the Trump administration is something you can chalk up to "little difference" is astounding.

• Not A Nice Person, Femme Fatale and TheFranchise like this

Not A Nice Person
  • Not A Nice Person

Bad boy down

• BUSTED!
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:28 PM Edited by Nice Person, 23 November 2017 - 02:30 PM.

So many claims very little sources
https://www.bloomber...nd-of-the-world

Also many corporations are leftists so I ain't worried, Mark Cuban bought up a good point about Trump too.
https://www.cnbc.com...-and-trump.html

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2017
    Best Poster in Gaming 2017
    Best Topic 2017 [Microtransactions]
    Most Helpful Member 2017
    Most Helpful GTA Member 2017
    Campaign Poster Winner 2017
    Best Certified Crew 2017 [The Daily Globe]
    Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

First link: focuses entirely on share prices and sidesteps pretty much the entire argument.

Second link: Trump is bad, therefore anything under state regulation will be bad and we should hand them over to the nice corporations that aren't Trump and are therefore good. If, well, you only focus on the bit talking about two tweets.

...yeah, not very convincing.
  • Ruin, Alvarez, thehambone and 1 other like this

Not A Nice Person
  • Not A Nice Person

Bad boy down

• BUSTED!
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:29 PM Edited by Nice Person, 23 November 2017 - 06:30 PM.

I doubt there's any legitimate sources on the other side.

Also boom.
https://www.bloomber...y-already-ended

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users