Quantcast

» «
Photo

How awful is the PS2-to-PS3 port.

12 replies to this topic
SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

Every single day, every time I pray, I'll be missing you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:35 PM Edited by SMACKED!, 12 July 2017 - 02:43 PM.

It's a major challenge to me to get the game running at over 30 fps and a miracle to get it running more than that. At most of times it lags the hell out of it, when I'm doing the Avenger sidemission at Staunton it mostly freezes and the screen goes black, forcing me to restart my PS3.

Has anybody ever experienced this and fixed it by any means? if so, could you share your solutions?

Fooking
  • Fooking

you fooking w0t m9?

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

Can any 3D era GTA on console even run at more than 30 fps??

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

no, every is lock at 30FPS (25 in pal regions)

also it's not ps3 emulation fault the game runs like garbage, the PS2 port from PSP is garbage and runs like garbage on real PS2

• ClaudeIzABadAzz likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:05 PM Edited by MorsPrincipiumEst, 12 July 2017 - 03:07 PM.

The Stories GTA's are just "bad" in terms of performance.  It doesn't matter what Port it is, digitally or through a Disc.  They all suck.  If anything, PSP is the better of them all, but even that has its issues.  Watching people's Videos on Youtube who play on PSP, I can see a Mission taking like 45 Seconds to load and when you cross Islands, it's much longer on PSP, as well.  Furthermore, PSP has issues with fixed Spawn Located Vehicles, like an Ambulance at a Hospital, for instance, won't spawn.  Always needing to drive away, come back just for it to spawn.  Some of these issues also carried over to PS2/3, however, the Loading Times are a bit quicker.  I am not too concerned over how quick something loads, though...

I play the PS2 Version Disc on my PS3, but it's still really bad.  The good thing is, I never got spoiled by PC Versions of any GTA and been playing Nintendo 64, PS1, 2, and 3 since the beginning of their inceptions, so it doesn't bother me too much...

About Freezing/Crashing, it doesn't happen EVER for me, but the Frame Rate does drop down in certain areas.  Blame Rockstar for adding literally 10X Traffic to PS2.  The more traffic around, the worse the Frame Rate is.  The more traffic around an area when wanting to go grab a Fire Truck, Ambulance, Police Car, etc, the more likely it WON'T spawn...

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:40 PM Edited by SMACKED!, 12 July 2017 - 03:58 PM.

I don't really give a hell , I just want it to run decent goddamnit as a well-mannered console peaseant I am.

also it's not ps3 emulation fault the game runs like garbage, the PS2 port from PSP is garbage and runs like garbage on real PS2

well, i've seen people like gtaseriesvideos and gtamissions having no issues at it.

The Stories GTA's are just "bad" in terms of performance

i hadn't any trouble at gta vcs, maybe once but i was playing the game straight for like 4 hours in a rainy day

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Try turning off Anti aliasing, or smoothing or how the hell it's called in PS menu, when you are in game.

Fooking
  • Fooking

you fooking w0t m9?

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

GTA Series Videos are most likely recording it on PPSSPP or PCSX2, as that's way less sh*tty than the physical console.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

>480p
>from era when ppsspp didn't exist and PCSX2 was full of graphical bugs
nah they PS2/fat PS3 with component cable for sure.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:17 PM Edited by SMACKED!, 12 July 2017 - 04:20 PM.

fact is, there isn't anything determinated to fix this, it's just how badly they ported the game to ps3, just like gta iv in pc (but worse and in pc there's plenty of patches) i'll try turning smoothing off and see if it does something.

thanks everybody.

>480p

>from era when ppsspp didn't exist and PCSX2 was full of graphical bugs
nah they PS2/fat PS3 with component cable for sure.

agreed. and gtamissions most likely runs both games in a legit ps2 as he uploaded stuff for the first time back 10 years ago.

i'm pretty sure it's just the port, as i remember i used to play gta lcs in ps2 and i can't relate to anything connected to performing issues.

vcs, in other hand, has no porting issues and i can run the game easily

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

It's not a port, it's an emulation.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

Description says it's from PS2. Also i can clearly see slow downs in the video. As i said, the PS2 port is sloppy. The one you got from PSN is emulated PS2 version as Ash stated.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Well, I guess that emulation doesn't have the makings of a varsity emulation.

Ghost Pulaski
  • Ghost Pulaski

Pulaski's Ghost

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:49 AM Edited by Ghost Pulaski, 14 July 2017 - 10:50 AM.

The PS3 "port" just shows how lazy they are. They didn't change anything, they just emulated it.

And the fact that it is lagging is even funnier, because my PC (cheaper than a PS3) can handle the PS2 version with no lag at all.

• SMACKED! likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users