Photo

GTA Online AFK - The experiment

93 replies to this topic
Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:12 AM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 12 July 2017 - 07:13 AM.

I've had this in my head for a while, but it's happening today.

I'm going away for a few days and will be leaving my guy stood in Legion Square with the controller plugged in and the right stick rubber banded (so no kick for idling).  I'm also going to put $1,000,000 in his pockets so that people considerate enough to mug me will be justly rewarded.  In total it'll be just over 5 days before I come back.

The main stats I'll be looking at are bank balance and number of deaths, but if anyone has any requests for specific stats before and after then you've got a few hours to let me know.

Here's a picture to make the OP more interesting :)

mB2ZBc6s2E6YemG_BlbeVw_0_0.jpg

• livejoker, Carrythxd, Solid Scorpion and 20 others like this

Mayochiki
  • Mayochiki

︻デ═一

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

I request photo of your electricity bill when it comes.

• MrGrandis, livejoker, Mattoropael and 15 others like this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

What ifs are a waste of time

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

Are you on Ps4 or Xbox? I could use some money :D

• Coleco, alkaline_ and KWF1981 like this

alkaline_
  • alkaline_

the fluffy penguin

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

but your crunchy K/D will sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how will you handle this?????? :lol:

it would be funny to have it all sparkly recorded and then go through the longly material and edit a hicksy video out of it hihihi

• V4S, Carrythxd, Solid Scorpion and 12 others like this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

Are you on Ps4 or Xbox? I could use some money :D

I'm on PS4.  If you can find me, have at it :D

but your crunchy K/D will sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how will you handle this?????? :lol:

it would be funny to have it all sparkly recorded and then go through the longly material and edit a hicksy video out of it hihihi

I've never cared for my bubbly K/D so I think I'll see it afterwards and just uiuiui!

Recording is a lovely idea.  I'm gonna check how much space I have on my PC and see if there's enough to record the whole 5 days.

• gtafan26, gizmonomono, alkaline_ and 2 others like this

Parth13
  • Parth13

Hooligan

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

but i don't think there will be enough space to record whole 5 days, cause i have recorded some clips in the past ranging around from 30sec to around 45sec and a full recorded clip has a size of 96-98MB, on pc the maximum storage allocation is 50GB don't know about consoles. if he records 45 minutes of gameplay it will have a size of 980mb, let's round it up to 1GB if he records just a day it will be around 24GB and he will be able to record 2-2.5 days .

and what about network errors or just normal errors that we get even if there is no problem on the client side? how would you get back into online? since you won't be home? that is the hurdle that comes to my mind if i want to leave my character online, cause if i'm not there i will probably find my self in SP when i comeback. you would have to assign someone to check if your character hasn't been kicked to sp. and if that person has any interest in games s/he won't be able to control him/herself from playing when they see a game running in front of them.  :lol:

nevertheless good luck OP. on your passive adventure. :santa:

• No display name = This, alkaline_ and kenmy13999 like this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:03 AM Edited by Quinn_flower, 12 July 2017 - 08:08 AM.

Why?

Those on his friend list vote kick him

Also ur bill I mean u must be wealthy to do this
  • Sky_Light12 and Happy Hunter like this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:04 AM Edited by Sanches, 12 July 2017 - 11:08 AM.

>Leaves house with character walking around
>Comes back 5 days later
>Finds out that he lost connection to GTA O servers like after 1 hour he left.

• Turbulence, Carrythxd, SkylineGTRFreak and 36 others like this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

but i don't think there will be enough space to record whole 5 days, cause i have recorded some clips in the past ranging around from 30sec to around 45sec and a full recorded clip has a size of 96-98MB, on pc the maximum storage allocation is 50GB don't know about consoles. if he records 45 minutes of gameplay it will have a size of 980mb, let's round it up to 1GB if he records just a day it will be around 24GB and he will be able to record 2-2.5 days .

and what about network errors or just normal errors that we get even if there is no problem on the client side? how would you get back into online? since you won't be home? that is the hurdle that comes to my mind if i want to leave my character online, cause if i'm not there i will probably find my self in SP when i comeback. you would have to assign someone to check if your character hasn't been kicked to sp. and if that person has any interest in games s/he won't be able to control him/herself from playing when they see a game running in front of them.  :lol:

nevertheless good luck OP. on your passive adventure. :santa:

The maximum file size on an NTFS formatted Windows 10 PC is at least 16TB.  I only have 1 to spare on my current internal HD, so I don't think file size will be a problem :p

I need to plug my capture device back in and fire up the software as it gives you a very simple and clear "n hours of recording space available".

And it has crossed my mind that I may end up on a screen saying I've lost connection and to hit X to join online, so I'm going to check in once a day to make sure that's not happening, but not do anything else.  I'll either take my PS Vita or make sure my phone is able to connect before I go.

• alkaline_, Goingcrowd9 and Parth13 like this

alkaline_
  • alkaline_

the fluffy penguin

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

- crunchy content by fluffy parth13 hihihi - 

and what about network errors or just normal errors that we get

- more of crunchy content by fluffy parth13 hihihi - 

maybe you have to have someone pearly who visits your home here and then to check the connection if its all ui ui ui... like momma needs their son to water the plants when she is on shiney holidays hihihi!!!

• V4S, Solid Scorpion, Furry_Monkey and 6 others like this

Parth13
  • Parth13

Hooligan

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:26 AM Edited by Parth13, 12 July 2017 - 08:30 AM.

The maximum file size on an NTFS formatted Windows 10 PC is at least 16TB.  I only have 1 to spare on my current internal HD, so I don't think file size will be a problem :p

I need to plug my capture device back in and fire up the software as it gives you a very simple and clear "n hours of recording space available".

And it has crossed my mind that I may end up on a screen saying I've lost connection and to hit X to join online, so I'm going to check in once a day to make sure that's not happening, but not do anything else.  I'll either take my PS Vita or make sure my phone is able to connect before I go.

Wait, ah, smart, so you will be recording with external software and not R* editor, yeah recordings will be limited but at least you will have recordings, 

there is one more idea if you're willing to do it,  since the recording through the R* editor is limited by the game to 50GB max ( I think) you can just move those files from that documents>GTAV>Clips folder and store them somewhere else and you will have more 50GB to record, i also think you can just move those .clip files without closing the game. just try to do it before the main days. as you will only have to do it twice or thrice since as i mentioned early a day's recording wont be bigger than 24GB.

Edit: oh so you're on PS4, is there any way to move those R* clips on consoles? if not then the external recording is the only way.

• Furry_Monkey and alkaline_ like this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:58 AM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 12 July 2017 - 08:58 AM.

Spoiler
Wait, ah, smart, so you will be recording with external software and not R* editor, yeah recordings will be limited but at least you will have recordings, 

there is one more idea if you're willing to do it,  since the recording through the R* editor is limited by the game to 50GB max ( I think) you can just move those files from that documents>GTAV>Clips folder and store them somewhere else and you will have more 50GB to record, i also think you can just move those .clip files without closing the game. just try to do it before the main days. as you will only have to do it twice or thrice since as i mentioned early a day's recording wont be bigger than 24GB.

Edit: oh so you're on PS4, is there any way to move those R* clips on consoles? if not then the external recording is the only way.

Yeah I'm on PS4 so it's all going to be recorded via my Elgato.  I have found a problem though.  When I connect with the PS Vita it turns my PS4 controller off, so when I disconnect the Vita I'm left with this screen...

19983444_1785128291779353_39900759042612

Not sure what to do about that, but I think not using the PS Vita and just leaving it and hoping may be my only option.

• TheKingChivas likes this

Mattoropael
  • Mattoropael

Proud Killer of Rate The Car Above You

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

I'd be interested to know how long it will take before you get hit by something like Unknown Network Error, and get stuck in the limbo for the rest of the run, but that seems impossible to measure without you staying.

• Goingcrowd9 likes this

REXX
  • REXX

REXX | ALEXA - Content Creator & GTA Photographer

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Is it possible to remote play from a distance? Perhaps that way you can keep an eye on things and also fix any time outs.

Either way, very interesting experiment indeed :)

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

Is it possible to remote play from a distance? Perhaps that way you can keep an eye on things and also fix any time outs.

Can't you play remotely on Ps4? With an Xperia smartphone.

Jon Jon
  • Jon Jon

Jonny Boy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Leaving your console constantly on for 5 days is bad for your console. I hope you have the money to get a new one should yours die. Good luck on your experiment and have fun on your five-day vacation.
  • Goingcrowd9 likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

HYPOCRISY IS THICK HERE.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

I bet you will lose all of it and be killed at least 500 times.

I would go the other way and do the afk capture glitch.

But I wish you the best.

jollythecat
  • jollythecat

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:50 AM Edited by jollythecat, 12 July 2017 - 09:51 AM.

You are on my friends list, I will check your K/D from time to time. lol

Also there is the problem of being kicked from session by other players. :)

• Goingcrowd9 likes this

Parth13
  • Parth13

Hooligan

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Leaving your console constantly on for 5 days is bad for your console. I hope you have the money to get a new one should yours die. Good luck on your experiment and have fun on your five-day vacation.

i once left my pc on and the gta running, with my character in office in invite only session. and that was for 3-4 days after the i/e update, and my pc is still fine. i guess console would be fine as well since it's just a hardware+software locked pc.

though i did play 6 hours a day on those 3-4 days in public sessions to fill up mc supplies and do mc/import sales. so i actually never got a network error of any kind when i did leave my character afk, but nowadays you're bound to get one at least once while in public session. happens to me everyday.

• alkaline_ likes this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

i once left my pc on and the gta running, with my character in office in invite only session. and that was for 3-4 days after the i/e update, and my pc is still fine. i guess console would be fine as well since it's just a hardware+software locked pc.

though i did play 6 hours a day on those 3-4 days in public sessions to fill up mc supplies and do mc/import sales. so i actually never got a network error of any kind when i did leave my character afk, but nowadays you're bound to get one at least once while in public session. happens to me everyday.

The console will probably be fine. But in the summer, in this heat, I wouldn't risk it.

• Jon Jon likes this

Jon Jon
  • Jon Jon

Jonny Boy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

^ Definitely. Even with my 8yr old PS3, I still turn it off regularly and wait for it to cool down before turning it back on again. I personally am too scared to leave it running for several hours at a time. I know I'll be the same way if I ever get around to buying a current gen console.
  • gizmonomono likes this

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

I'd love it if friends logged into the session and set up a cordon around legion square with APCs, tanks, snipers and Hydras to protect the endangered monkey :D

Nothing to see here folks, move along... you have 20 seconds to comply

• FlacidJack, gtafan26, Furry_Monkey and 4 others like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

I hope you don't have a lot of apartments and running businessess, those daily costs can ramp up pretty fast. 

• Ker Juice, Parth13 and kovaandr like this

Mrs. Buzz
  • Mrs. Buzz

Formerly godtrams | forever helisexual ;)

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

Interesting idea - wish you the best for that. Next to the number of deaths and robberies I'd like to see your last spawnpoint when you're back. Considering you start at Legion Square - I'll bet you make it over half the map (without network errors or similar interuptions). :lol:

• Perez84, gtafan26, alkaline_ and 1 other like this

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:16 AM Edited by Xiled, 12 July 2017 - 10:17 AM.

I bet psn has magic "maintenance" out of nowhere when they let the ddos attacks get the best of them again.

Also someone could park there moc next to you and enter with nearby players and take you for a ride somewhere.

• Furry_Monkey likes this

III-Ari-III
  • III-Ari-III

Corporate Warlord

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hahaha the things people want to do when they are bored : P

3 things with happen:

-You'll lose money, ratio and waste electricity.

Nothing too great to make the experiment valuable.. all negative things.

In short, a waste of time, but heck it's your time so bring it.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:30 AM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 12 July 2017 - 10:35 AM.

Can't you play remotely on Ps4? With an Xperia smartphone.

See this...

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069716896

I have a PS Vita but it disconnects the console's local controller when you use remote play, leaving it with no controller when you exit remote play.

Re. Overheating - meh.  If it happens it happens, but I have faith in the console.  I've done a 24 hour gaming marathon for charity the last 2 Christmas days and it's not even got warm.  If anything did happen I'd just go back to The Division on Xbone until the end of the month and buy another PS4.

And that ^^ comment about it being a waste of time?  Er lol?  It's gonna waste several resources, both real and imaginary, but time is not one of them.

• hei3enberg, gizmonomono, Cant-B-Faded and 3 others like this

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:32 AM Edited by CrysisAverted, 12 July 2017 - 10:33 AM.

You'll find yourself in an empty session 1 hour away from your controller, check that, you'll find yourself in an empty session 30 minutes after going afk.

• Furry_Monkey likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:39 AM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 12 July 2017 - 10:39 AM.

You'll find yourself in an empty session 1 hour away from your controller, check that, you'll find yourself in an empty session 30 minutes after going afk.

That is my most common connection issue, but it does fix itself eventually.  I usually find a new session when it tells me everyone left, but if I don't then it does fill up again eventually.  As long as it doesn't kick me out of online completely then it should be okay.  Time will tell.

• marshallbslayer and alkaline_ like this

Mexicola9302
  • Mexicola9302

Trick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:52 AM Edited by Mexicola9302, 12 July 2017 - 10:54 AM.

You should join a full session for this to minimize the risk of being kicked. Because it takes at least 50% of the players to votekick you out. If you really gonna record the whole thing it`s gonna be hard to filter out "the best of" or "greatest hits". Is the game in 1080p on ps4? If so you should limit the recording quality to 720p i think.

I think it`s just a waste of electricity and ingame money and stats in overall.

You should send a link to the video after that to greenpeace or whatever showing how your wasting ressources for absolutley nothing.

But i want to see the results of it. :D

Edit: I hope your NAT Type is Open.

• Goingcrowd9 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users