Extremely old article predicts GTA's future

8 replies to this topic
D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Some of you may remember this article being posted here several years ago, long before release. I went back to read it not too long ago and was completely taken aback. Almost everything in here was completely on point.

GTA V: 10 Reasons It Will Definitely Suck

A few notable examples.

Rockstar will likely feel the need to give us more, whilst actually giving us much less in terms of a memorable, atmospheric experience. Cue endless faffing around buying houses and micro-managing restaurants or whatever.

Even though I don't like multiplayer and avoid online gaming in particular, developers are shoe-horning it in aggressively with increasing regularity to increase the shelf-life of their game and keep its value from plummeting after a month in the charts. GTA V will do this as well. What started as an interesting (for some) take-it-or-leave-it diversion in the last game will become a more invasive part of the sequel. It'll link into the main story in some sort of annoying way that'll force me to play it, or else you'll have to play it for 20 hours straight in order to unlock the best ending - or some such contrived, unnecessary ball-ache. I don't want to be forced to do so as it would drain the experience of the fleeting sense of fun that it might otherwise enjoy.

Rockstar will no doubt boast of "improved [car] handling" this time around - by which they will almost certainly mean "easier handling (so please stop yelling)". GTA V is sure to be less Michael Mann and more Michael Bay.

GTA IV marked the next evolution of the series, taking it into high definition. So GTA V coming out on these creaky consoles seems like a premature rush-job, however lucrative it's going to prove for publisher Take-Two Interactive. I suppose the PC release, which will probably not be for some time after console launch, will boast improved visuals - but won't it be hampered by the fact that the game has been designed for comparatively ancient hardware? I can't see GTA V representing the same leap forward as either of its direct prequels in terms of visual splendor.

Moving the series out West, as fun as it can be, will lead to obvious jokes about Hollywood and celebrity - which is fine, but I can't help but feel the series' cynicism is better when saved for juicier, less safe targets. There will be jokes about breast implants. There will be a movie producer who thinks he's a big shot, but who isn't actually as big a big shot he thinks he is. There will be a comedy mission during which a character cries that he didn't win a Golden Globe, whilst your character looks on with a face that says "your pathetic" and yet still goes on to exact petty revenge on his behalf. It seems impossible to imagine GTA V going to Tinseltown and for that not to steal focus from some of the bigger, slightly less predictable themes and ideas played upon in GTA IV.

Allowing the player to fetishise a collection of hats and fine home furnishings - as they inevitably will - means Rockstar lose the right to make that sort of commentary. Particularly if they try and sell lots of it as DLC (you know they will).

• B Dawg, thehambone and Payne Killer like this

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Mind=blown

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

- There was no micromanagement in story mode as described in the article.

- GTA Online isn't forced upon you during the story, in fact, there is no direct link to it other than it's a prequel.

- Handling is purely personal opinion.

- PC was not limited by last gen, and the next gen versions look much better. If you don't see 'visual splendor' between LG and NG you may need some glasses.

- No sh*t about the Hollywood jokes if the game is set in LA. Those sound like reasonable things to joke about in a game set in LA.

- No DLC is paid, much less the cosmetic DLC's they used to release (Beach Bum Pack, I'm Not a Hipster pack, etc.)

Doesn't seem like the article got it very right, no.

• Officer Ronson, SmokesWithCigs, AUScowboy and 1 other like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

i'm still playing it. I don't care.

• AUScowboy likes this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:36 PM Edited by D T, 11 July 2017 - 09:40 PM.

- There was no micromanagement in story mode as described in the article.
- GTA Online isn't forced upon you during the story, in fact, there is no direct link to it other than it's a prequel.
- Handling is purely personal opinion.
- PC was not limited by last gen, and the next gen versions look much better. If you don't see 'visual splendor' between LG and NG you may need some glasses.
- No sh*t about the Hollywood jokes if the game is set in LA. Those sound like reasonable things to joke about in a game set in LA.
- No DLC is paid, much less the cosmetic DLC's they used to release (Beach Bum Pack, I'm Not a Hipster pack, etc.)

Doesn't seem like the article got it very right, no.

- The micromanagement found its way into Online, big time. Buy security upgrades for your interior under the map, or imaginary NPCs will raid it. In the meantime, make sure your other imaginary businesses are safe!

- It may not force you to play GTA Online during the story, but it DOES force you to play to enjoy new content. Very close prediction.

- We both know handling was made easier in this game. It's a simple fact.

- PC was completely limited by last-gen. Look at the amount of trees that were deleted for old-gen consoles and never brought back. You know this better than anyone else.

- When you have a vast open-world at your disposal, where you control every bit of in-game dialogue and writing, it's pathetic your main targets are celebrities, Call of Duty, and hipsters. Regardless of the setting, Rockstar could've touched on far more important issues.

- The majority of the game's playerbase does not own nearly enough cash to enjoy the latest DLCs. They are priced in a way that almost forces you to buy shark cards. Come on now. Fast-track Research. Worse than paid DLC.
  • simonp92, Fubbick and Payne Killer like this

polaris23
  • polaris23

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:48 AM

You sure it wasn't written by R* themselves?!

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

Boring guy

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

It's magic!

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:19 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 12 July 2017 - 03:23 PM.

big deal Nostradamus predicted the bans on modders in Gta5

Pestilences extinguished, the world becomes smaller,

for a long time the lands will be inhabited peacefully.

People will travel safely through the sky (over) land and seas:

then wars will start up again.

• SmokesWithCigs, AUScowboy, Jlindstead and 1 other like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

If anything, the only point that sticks out is minimizing SP content to focus mostly on GTAO after release. As disappointing as that is, R* and T2 are running a business after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users