***ATTENTION EVERYBODY, Do not use Photobucket to upload images***

89 replies to this topic
Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Do people even still use it? this move is probably a response to that.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

I've always seen photobucket as the scum of the internet

yeah you know I've never really thought about it, but I guess Photobucket and GodHatesFags.com are pretty much on the same level.

• ten-a-penny, Cripto136, Femme Fatale and 1 other like this

Day Reaper
  • Day Reaper

Executioner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

I remember when Imageshack did the same thing. I lost so many old GTAV pictures since that is where I would save them and it pissed me off because I would have paid the $30 that one month just to get my images and save them on my PC but I missed the deadline. The way things usually go, it will only be a matter of time before Imugr does the same thing. Remember, like R*, these are For-Profit companies at the end of the day.

• DieselFuelOnly likes this

Rafae
  • Rafae

Boss

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Imgur bb for life
  • Zello likes this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

I've never liked Photobucket anyway. Maybe it's just me, but everytime I would use it 40% of the results would be blank.

This just gives me even more of a reason to not use it.

Notcher
  • Notcher

(formerly Imposssible)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

Imgur is better anyways

Sadly, I suspect imgur, along with dozen other sites, will follow suit and do the same thing. Perhaps not as harsh as Photobucket's "Embedded image for ransom" cash grab policy, but something similar... I hope I'm wrong. 😞

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:07 PM Edited by We Are Ninja, 30 June 2017 - 09:08 PM.

I wondered what was wrong with my signature. Guess I'd better check on the Official Dewbauchee thread...

EDIT: OMG. The horror.
  • gtafan26, ten-a-penny, Scaglietti and 3 others like this

Pißwasser Time
  • Pißwasser Time

"Better than Miller Time"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

I switched to Imgur a while ago because of their weirdness at photobucket.

SoDank_ItPainsMe
  • SoDank_ItPainsMe

I found a use for the safe

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Spoiler
you start criticizing people who have legitimate beefs with those who use unfair business practices.

How is withdrawing a free service unfair business practice?

If you used a free image host for things related to work or your business all I can say is I hope you make a better choice in future.

Many people are angry that photobucket did this without any type of warning. It would have been nice to have seen something pop up upon logging in that stated "in 30 days from now all third party site usage will no longer be free and we will now be charging 399.99 dollars per year, you may lose access to your photos if you do not upgrade". Many people do not have access to their photos at all on the PB site and they are not allowed to gain access unless they pay to upgrade. Many already pay PB for their service and they too can not access photos and all their links are now broken. Also the fact that its 400 dollars or the highway is somewhat outrageous. Not everyone uses that site for their business and they should offer a cheaper option for casual users like myself for example, of course they do not have to but that is just bad business on their part.

I don't stress over stuff like this. I simply close my account and have moved on. I do feel bad for those who have lost 1,000's of photos without warning however that is a sad risk of using free host sites run by greedy corporate pr!cks. 

I agree that this being done to paying customers is a trough of fresh manure, if I was a paying customer I would try to pay 1 month of their monthly rate of $39, dump any non backed up materials, cancel and then use a new hosting provider.

They have no obligation to keep free users on forever, since 2003 they must have amassed so much data that a purge is necessary. I expect the vast majority of data in their datacenters is from free users.

OP is learning the hard way that trusting strangers who operate a business to always maintain a free service to keep his photos available is subject to this type of thing. I understand being annoyed that they just pull the plug and don't say anything beforehand, yeah it's sh*tty and unfortunate, but calling it extortion is hilarious.

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

I'm downloading all my files and clearing my PB account, then shutting it down. Sounds like lots of other users are doing the same.

Oh well, onward and upward!

• gtafan26, ten-a-penny, Rafae and 1 other like this

REXX
  • REXX

REXX: The cyborg from Humane Labs. | ALEXA: The Hotchick.

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Flikr FTW :D
  • Notcher likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:07 PM Edited by trip, 30 June 2017 - 10:16 PM.

Why is this such a thing?

What do you expect from a free service?

jswPBIu.jpg

• ten-a-penny, Notcher and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:08 PM

On the topic of image hosting sites, does Imgur not exist in Russia? I swear, every mod from Russia I see here has it's pictures hosted on some site that isn't imgur and it's a pain to get everything to load.

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Lad it's 2007 who still uses Photobucket

Coleco
  • Coleco

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

Lad it's 2007 who still uses Photobucket

After today, nobody :D

• gtafan26, ten-a-penny, We Are Ninja and 3 others like this

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up, downloading some of my albums and then deleting my account, havent used PB for hosting purposes in a long time after using imgur.

• gtafan26, ten-a-penny, Notcher and 1 other like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

There should be laws to prevent the thief bosses from doing this kind of things.

It reminds what imageshack did some years ago, another shameful scum of internet.

• ten-a-penny, Notcher and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

Coleco
  • Coleco

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:06 PM Edited by Coleco, 30 June 2017 - 11:07 PM.

I don't mind migrating to another service - that's how it is when things are offered for free - but right now I swear they're just giving me one final 'f*ck you' before I go for good.

Photobucket is being a pissy little bitch right now as i'm trying to download my pictures. 'Trying' being the operative word - all the popups and ads that plague their site are slowing everything to a crawl and timing out my attempts to save my stuff nine times out of ten.

I swear it's like trying to retrieve possessions from a bitter ex-lover

• ten-a-penny, Notcher, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and 2 others like this

TankGirl
  • TankGirl

Follow me get a proxy for free

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

Why is this such a thing?

What do you expect from a free service?

jswPBIu.jpg

No one told them to make it a free service that was their choice and trust me they made money even off the free users, they were not running a charity. Many also do pay some type of money for different services they offer. Yes its their choice to end it but the way they did it was wrong and what they are asking is nuts.

• Notcher likes this

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

ネオ トッキオ

• Daily Globe
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

Photobucket in 2017... lul

Imgur is meh, they compress your images. Cubeupload however... 👌

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:04 AM Edited by Prince_Polaris, 01 July 2017 - 03:09 AM.

I've always seen photobucket as the scum of the internet

yeah you know I've never really thought about it, but I guess Photobucket and GodHatesFags.com are pretty much on the same level.

Lol what a website, also, I did edit my thing to say that I actually meant scum of image hosting websites, I'm sure there's a lot worse out there than photobucket or...  that.

Am I the only one who uploads my sh*t to discord and links it to here from there?

EDIT: This right here is the f*cking reason I hate photobucket, I'll be in an old thread that's like "Oh, I fixed this obscure PC problem you're having, and it's in this screenshot" and all I see is this bullsh*t here:

unboxing-beauty-a-potpourri-of-beauty-fi

• SkylineGTRFreak, ten-a-penny and AlbanyEsperanto like this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:11 AM Edited by AiŽaŠobŽa, 01 July 2017 - 03:12 AM.

I just went to PB to see if i could get some of my pictures from a long time ago and this popped up.

5b7546f80cd2cef276c2d9666114f654.png

So are they offering to let you keep your pictures and hosting for $9,99 or just to give you access to pictures and that's it? 

• ten-a-penny likes this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

RAD XTREME LEFTIST

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

***ATTENTION EVERYBODY, do not take the brown acid.

• Jolly Swagman and Femme Fatale like this

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

The c*nt of the thing is Ive been uploading photos to the same account since about 2006, and many of them are still linked and viewed in a lot of my modding threads. Its a major pain in the ass now that a few thousand photos I took for granted as being uploaded are now gone. No way in hell im paying $400 a year though I consider this the death of photobucket.
  • SkylineGTRFreak, ten-a-penny, Notcher and 1 other like this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

The c*nt of the thing is Ive been uploading photos to the same account since about 2006, and many of them are still linked and viewed in a lot of my modding threads. Its a major pain in the ass now that a few thousand photos I took for granted as being uploaded are now gone. No way in hell im paying $400 a year though I consider this the death of photobucket.

I just went to PB and my photos are still there and still able to be downloaded.

I know it's no fun having to download thousands of photos but you still might be able to save some of them

-Paradocx-
  • -Paradocx-

Peduli Setan

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

imgur of flickr  :^:

• ten-a-penny likes this

Notcher
  • Notcher

(formerly Imposssible)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:47 AM Edited by Notcher, 01 July 2017 - 03:51 AM.

So are they offering to let you keep your pictures and hosting for $9,99 or just to give you access to pictures and that's it? 

Access to pictures for 9.99 a month and 100GB, that's it... AND every link to your photos ever posted on websites, blogs, and forums for as many years as Photobucket's inception, are disabled unless you pay them $400 bucks a year.

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:09 AM

Honestly, I've been eagerly awaiting the death of Photobucket for a long time now, so while I am sorry to those affected by this I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad that this will likely be the final nail in their long overdue coffin. I'm f*cking tired of looking up a picture of something to link to someone else, and finding the perfect picture, only to realize it's hosted on Photobucket. If you're on a desktop? Sure, you can view it no problem, but we'll be damned if we're going to let you hotlink it like literally any other image on the internet. They aren't seeing sh*t without visiting our full site so that we can cripple their browser with ads. What's that? You're on mobile? Well, f*ck you then, because we're just going to link you to the front page of their gallery. Yeah, that picture you wanted to see is probably several years old and buried under hundreds of more recent photos, but why should we give a f*ck? That's just more pages full of ads you have to sift through.

I'm sorry to anyone affected by this, but I genuinely hope they stick to their guns and don't backtrack so that they can finally go out of business once and for all.
  • gtafan26, ten-a-penny, Notcher and 2 others like this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:22 AM Edited by AiŽaŠobŽa, 01 July 2017 - 04:23 AM.

Access to pictures for 9.99 a month and 100GB, that's it... AND every link to your photos ever posted on websites, blogs, and forums for as many years as Photobucket's inception, are disabled unless you pay them $400 bucks a year.

I wonder if direct posting of pictures is still allowed.....

Edit: this is a picture from my PB account and i direct posted it by right clicking and copying image 

B284C342-5B7F-4171-9166-074EC8AB26F1_zps

• Notcher likes this

xFluttershy
  • xFluttershy

Classic car enthusiast

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

well, guess it's time to finally say goodbye to my Photobucket account....not that I've used it recently...I somehow have 2 different Imgur accounts that I've made at the same time....dunno how that happened but yay for two accounts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users