Photo

Erase one game from your memory..

53 replies to this topic
fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:39 PM Edited by fashion, 29 June 2017 - 03:42 PM.

Imagine you had the power to somehow remove everything you've learned about a game and experience it all over again from the start.

Video games burn out quickly. In most games, even your favorite games, you've had enough for years after one playthrough. There's a handful of special games out there with enough replayability to keep you going for months. Still, once you've seen everything 5 times, you simply can't go through it again, no matter how much you want to. The excitement of every title fades away.
So, if I could erase everything I know about one game, I'd choose:

1. Fallout New Vegas. Definetly number one spot for me. Before I played it, I wasn't even a huge fan of RPG games. FNV pretty much started it. The addictive gameplay with player choices, different outcomes was something new to me and I loved it. I remember not being able to get into it at all. I switched the difficulty to very easy and almost gave up on it.
But now I know pretty much everything about NV, have done like 6 playthroughs and a sh*tload of new characters I didn't get far with because of the burnout. It was my first step into the Fallout universe, now one of my favorite franchises as you can probably tell. There's nothing quite like visiting the mojave in this insane post-apocalyptic world for the first time.

2. San Andreas. If I only could go back in time. Playing SA for the first weeks was insane. It seemed like the game was f*cking infinite and you could do anything.

Honorable mention: No Mans Sky. If I could replay the first 4-5 hours over and over again while erasing my memory of it every time, I wouldn't need another game in my life.
  • V4S, Mister Pink, livejoker and 2 others like this

Mitsuha
  • Mitsuha

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:58 PM Edited by Mitsuha, 29 June 2017 - 04:01 PM.

Definitely The Last of Us. I would like to replay the game again. However, since I have finished the game already, I couldn't see any reason why I should play it again unless if I play at a harder difficulty. 

Story is really great but I lost motivation to play it because I already know what would happen if I replayed the game. Better wait for TLoU 2 I guess.

Erasing it from my memory would make me play the game without having any clue on what I'm doing, which adds the thrill to it.

Also most Pokemon games, especially Pokemon Emerald. 

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:57 PM Edited by Street Mix, 29 June 2017 - 06:12 PM.

That wouldn't work without erasing the memory of all other, newer games. Certainly I'd still love GTA San Andreas but if I played it first time in 2015 I'd like it differently; some things wouldn't impress me like they did in 2005 - graphics, underwater, shooting, physics. Same with GTA 4, AC 1, Portal, CoD4.

Although I have 1 game as of 2017 - Sleeping Dogs. I'd enjoy it now the same way I did in 2012.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:22 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 29 June 2017 - 05:24 PM.

Skyrim

no other game gave me that wow factor like elders scroll Skyrim, that start when some guy is going to chop your head  and a dragon shows up is epic, well at least when it was released lol

Honorable mention: No Mans Sky. If I could replay the first 4-5 hours over and over again while erasing my memory of it every time, I wouldn't need another game in my life.

i would erase it to and not for the best reasons

edit: nevermind, better not erase or i could fall on the same mistake twice

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:36 PM Edited by fashion, 29 June 2017 - 05:38 PM.

@Street Mix: I thought the same when writing about San Andreas. But I guess both gaming amnesia and time travel works in ths topic :D

@Hardstyle: Ah, Skyrim. I love both Fallout and TES equally but Vegas was my first Bethesda RPG. I'd love to erase my memory of that too. Even in the Special Edition, the dragon scene makes me wanna puke by now. It's still outstanding and I'm jelaus of people who played it for the first time when SE released.

NMS started so good but developed into hate and disgust for the game way too fast. If only they'd manage to keep the sense of discovery for the game longer. But I'm with you on your point as well. I sold this sh*tty game a while back and regret wasting my money on it.

Efreet
  • Efreet

'Jabalous' in a previous life

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Red Dead Redemption 

• trip, Android, The Deadite and 2 others like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2 are the two games that spring to mind for me, probably my two favourite single player campaigns from last-gen. Portal 1 and 2 are two others as well.

Synthol
  • Synthol

Just touch uranus someplace else

• Members
  • Namibia

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Mass Effect 1 and Deus ex Human Revolution.

• Mister Pink likes this

quxxo
  • quxxo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

GTA V

• Sunrise Driver likes this

Davo the Assassin
  • Davo the Assassin

Andolini Mafia Family - Blood is thicker than Water

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Honestly, either Life is Strange or Spec Ops: The Line. 

Because I hate myself.

• PoeticWhisper, Fallcreek and DieselFuelOnly like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

GTA IV. Whilst starting a new game is still pretty epic I wish I could go back to the morning of April 29 2008 and experience it all over again.

• V4S, Sunrise Driver, m8son and 2 others like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

Tomb Raider.

The first time that I played the original Tomb Raider (back in 1996) there were genuinely moments when I totally forgot to breathe. It was so huge, the levels were so complex, the challenges were so stimulating...

I would love to experience that sensation again.

• DieselFuelOnly likes this

DieselFuelOnly
  • DieselFuelOnly

"What impertinence! I shall purge you at once!"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

System Shock 2. Something about being perched on the edge of a very uncomfortable office chair in my old room at 3AM, scared sh*tless to the point that I was hiding in a virtual corner playing Swinekeeper on a virtual Gamepig because I didn't have the stones to venture down a poorly lit hallway until I pulled myself together after the last batch of scary sh*t - in a damn computer game - was just fantastic. Beautiful even.

• HaythamKenway likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:30 AM

GTA Online.

Erase that and return my time spent in it as well.
  • m8son and zoso80 like this

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

amigo

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

Probably The Witcher 3 or Skyrim, so I can experience them yet again.

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

Resident Evil 2. It's one of those things you wish could just last forever.

Can't really go wrong with GTA: San Andreas too. Incredible game.

• Stormingz likes this

V4S
  • V4S

🌸 Nt pⱻssⱻɹdɯᴉ 🌸

• The Yakuza
  • Japan
  • 14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

GTA IV. Whilst starting a new game is still pretty epic I wish I could go back to the morning of April 29 2008 and experience it all over again.

Its the first and only game where I waited in line for its midnight release, then proceeded to play it till 7am that same day -good times.

For me it would be Final Fantasy VII.

250px-Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

The story, characters, world map, bosses, the grinding, music; oh how I love the sound track! I recently bought the ported version of it for the PS4 and played it all over again and it brought me back to 97' when I was still in elementary school and my characters were named after my classmates. I bought a PS4 just so I could play the remake of it whenever they decide to release it...

On the flip side, if there was a game I wish I could erase from my memory for good. It would be this game:

Spoiler

• , alkaline_, -LN- and 3 others like this

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

Silent Hill 2. I think if I were to play it now without knowing anything about it, I'd still be blown away by all the twist and turns in the story (despite the crappy voice acting), and all the disturbing psychological and sexual undercurrents and symbolisms - subtle enough that they're not beating you over the head with them, but enough to hit you on a subconscious level, you know there's something about the way that monster gyrates that really bothers you, but you can't quite put your finger on it...

• The Deadite likes this

livejoker
  • livejoker

October 1st

• Van Society
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:25 AM

I'm EXACTLY in the same boat as you, fashion. Fallout New Vegas is the game that I played through so many times. I actually had this concept in mind for F:NV where I could erase it and experience it all over again. Hardcore mode was amazing and just the way you're left to really wander after leaving the first town (forgot the name, been ages since I played!). Not to like toot my own horn but I did a forum game with the G.O.A.T in mind but it does have some F:NV themes in mind as I'm more a NV fan. You're either NV or FO3.

Other mention? Probably GTA IV. My all-time favorite game but I know it's fueled my nostalgia. Memory erase wouldn't work as its the times I had with friends on there that made it amazing. I need a machine to go back in time for this one where I rented it on a Wednesday (when the local shop got it), got some Subways, two Monster drinks (I was cool back then) and I had the most amazing night. And yeah, I remember the details so well. That's how much I love GTA IV.

• Algonquin Assassin, The N. Bellic Man, HaythamKenway and 1 other like this

jrl51592
  • jrl51592

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:54 AM

Easy! Red Dead Redemption... or The Witcher 3.

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

@ GTAIV discussion: I jumped late to the party as I got my 360 around 2010. It was the second game I've purchased after Burnout Paradise, which was included on my xbox. Still had these old as f*ck tiny AV televisions with no HD support. I thought Burnout looked great on it but when I started playing IV for the first time, during the intro, I was literally sweating and shaking out of excitement. Really. I almost f*cking sh*t myself. It was an incredible game I didn't 100% because of the pigeons but played through it 6-7 times and still want to play it again. It's my favorite GTA and it was a masterpiece back then. Definetly more atmospheric and has a better story than V. This game made me skip school and play all night. Something I don't experience on my PS4 anymore.

@V4S: I played Pimp my Ride as a kid. Come on, it wasn't that bad. I actually liked it.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

(...)
Other mention? Probably GTA IV. My all-time favorite game but I know it's fueled my nostalgia. Memory erase wouldn't work as its the times I had with friends on there that made it amazing. I need a machine to go back in time for this one where I rented it on a Wednesday (when the local shop got it), got some Subways, two Monster drinks (I was cool back then) and I had the most amazing night. And yeah, I remember the details so well. That's how much I love GTA IV.

Yeah, I don't believe erasing IV would work for me either. The times, accumulated experience, the conditions we were in, the culture and influences surrounding us - those are also major contributors to the impact any given game makes. While I'm certain that IV would hold up just as well now as it did nine years ago, a kind of magic would undeniably be lost in the process. IV has been a watershed moment for me back in 2008 and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I guess I could say the same for any other of my favorite games, really. Not to mention that there are games like Team Fortress 2 or Halo 3, where it's just impossible to go back to the version or state of the game I fell in love with or once more assemble the community that I played the game with every day and that made it such a blast.

Two instances where the memory erase would actually be beneficial is either when you have a great game that nonetheless disappointed you on a first playthrough due to the specific circumstances it came out in (the real life making an impact in a negative way, the hype poisoning your appreciation of the game, other games stealing the time and the spotlight away) or if you have a game that just works much better on a first playthrough or when you go into it blind. I suppose I could name Assassin's Creed III for the former. I wish I could play it for the first time without my expectations negatively coloring my assessment of it. It's now one of my dearest games, but I used to dislike it quite a lot, to put it mildly and with the hype and the proximity to the Ezio trilogy removed and the state of the series in general changed, I'd perhaps be able to judge the game for what it was right the first time,saving myself a lot of unnecessary grief.

• livejoker and Wu-Tang Forever like this

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:49 AM Edited by thatstupidbug, 30 June 2017 - 10:53 AM.

Vice city

my first real gta game, but after all those years the magic isn't totally there anymore.

I want to recapture that moment when the game start for the first time, and now you're on your own. 

the sense of freedom, danger, and the awesome ride ahead of you...

Damn you, nostalgia!!!

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-11-700x524.jp

On the other hand... a game i want to forget because I wasted money with him? Easy...

MGS4. Not the worst game ever, mind you, but the thing i didn't like (and STILL don't like) are too much to count.

Overall, it's my personal "bad deal"

Even snake is ashamed 

snake_1.jpg

• Sunrise Driver, Candy_Licker and The Deadite like this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

This was tough one to call...

IF we get to go back to the time period as well I would go for super Mario 64, playing it fresh today with no memory of it would be pointless but back then when Mario first popped out of that tube in third person it was amazing and I remember it so vividly. I spent so long just playing around with the 'tutorial' area before even entering the castle to begin the game. I think the Orcarina of Time was just as (if not more impressive) but that third person wow momnet was stolen by Mario for me as I played it before OOT.

However if we do not get to go back to the era the game was from with the memory wipe it would be Wind Waker as it has stood the test of time so well, I played it through a few times first time around and the HD version too. Playing that fresh would be great fun.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Was going to actually start the same exact topic the other day after reading an IGN article about the nostalgia we have when returning to old games, but never got round to creating the topic.

Personally, for this topic to work correctly, I think it would have to mean going back to our initial first time we played it, at the time when the game itself was fresh, rather than meaning just picking the game up in current time and playing it for the first time ever...if that makes sense. As others have said, sometimes it was the period around the game itself that made it all the more memorable - the news articles, the hype leading up to the game release, the marketing for the game, post-release controversy/articles/news...hell, some games seemed to influence the world around us to an extent. A lot of gaming nostalgia for me comes from taking me back to when the game was brand new - the excitement I felt playing through it for the first time, having groups of friends all huddled around one TV because you were the only one who'd got the game and everyone wanted to experience it...tons of reasons.

Anyway, enough blabbing on, for me;

[01] The GTA Series - From the early days of top-down GTA on the PSx, to the latest, fully-blown HD 3D worlds we have today, there is no denying that every entry in this series has amazed me in some way or another. GTA3 was one of the first titles I owned for my PS2, after begging my mum to go buy me it due to the age restriction, and I instantly fell in love with it. At a time when games were still majorly linear due to technicalities, this game felt like a truly massive, open world sandbox where you felt like you had the power and freedom to do anything. Back then we didn't care about not been able to jump over a miniscule wall, or the death by falling in a puddle etc...we were too blown away by what the game did give us. It was the first game I had felt truly immersed in in many years, even to the extent of thinking (to this day, silly) daft things like you would actually be able to find Lazlow talking to pedestrians on the street if done at correct time of day etc, or that riots would take place due to the Liberty City Survivor. Believe this was down to the fact the internet was not a big thing back then, so rumours etc couldn't destroy your immersion.

For me personally though, Vice City still holds up as the game I'd love to go back to and re-live the time again. I was one of the only kids in my village who owned the game, so my bedroom would be permanently full of people crowded round the game, and we were blown way by it. The game had blown the freedom factor yet again, with the inclusion of helicopters/planes, and much more stuff to do in the world. Voiced by one of my favourite actors as of that time helped too. The story itself was absolutely top-notch, and the (at the time) amount of weapons, properties, clothing options, vehicles...the game was massive in every sense.

Like I said, a major factor in VC is the life around me at the time. I'd be going to school, then coming home and coming on to GTAForums to talk about the game, then spent remaining time on the game itself. It also introuduced me to 80's music, as again the internet wasn't a massive thing and radio only played chart music etc. The game was everywhere at the time - media were all over it like a rash due to what the game contained...and some of me still to this day believes it was majorly influential in the release of many 80's themed music compilations been released at the time. Couldn't get enough of the game, and it's still one I love to play through to this day.

San Andreas yet again upped the bar majorly in every way possible. Not only did the map feel insanely massive for the time, but the story was great and immersive, and the side-missions were great too. Hell, even to this day I still have it clear as day in my head the first time I walked out of a Burger Shot and a plane fell from the sky to the road and blew up just feet away from me...some of the amazement dimmed when I saw that it was an actual normal occurrence when there was a storm, but it as still amazing. Running over peds with a combine harvester, modding your vehicle to the max like some type of NFS game, customising your character to be the next OG from some low-budget gangster film...the game had it all.

GTA: IV is still to this day my favourite of the series, for may reason I won't go in to. The day I booted up the game and witnessed the graphics of the game was amazing...some of the features that were present weren't as amazing on my first playthrough due to them appearing in the earlier titles, but still, the whole game was absolutely breath-taking on the first play-through...even to this day certain stuff within the game looks great, such as flying over the city at night and seeing all the lights below in the massive city.

GTA: V is a game I'd only like to forget about and replay again so I wouldn't know how disappointing the game would be after completing the story.

[02] 007: Goldeneye (N64) - This was the first ever 3D shooter I had ever played, and had spent about a year begging my mum to buy me an N64 for Xmas just for this game alone (been the star she was, she got me the Goldeneye package for Xmas)...It didn't disappoint when I got my hands on it either. The game felt so true to the movie that the immersion was high, and for the time, the graphics were over-the-top, even so much I remember my mum been on the phone to her sister and telling her how realistic the game was because there was bullet hole in the wall next to me. I played this game non-stop from start to...well, not finish as I have yet to this day never completed the game, but I just couldn't get enough of it. As if the campaign wasn't brilliant as it was, you had this multiplayer game that never ceased to be fun. The amount of options it offered and the levels within always kept me and my mates playing it...We all remember barring our friends from picking OddJob...I still own the game to this day, and still is a blast to play through, and I'd still class it in my top 5 of all time shooters...back then, the game was so overly immersive that I wish I could re-live it again just to feel that blown away affect the young me felt.

[03] The Zelda Series - I bang on about these games far too much, I know, but I believe it's all justified, and still think Ocarina Of Time is what made me fall in love with gaming. I was only a kid at the time so money was sh*t, so I'd actually rent the game every weekend from a shop (which is amazing in itself due to the fact the game saved to cartridge, so was never able to just pickup from my last point) just to play through it, up until my mum bought me it for my birthday since she found it pointless how much I'd spent on renting the game anyway. The internet was non-existent to me at this point, so after becoming stuck early within the game, I borrowed a mini-guide from one of my mum's friends, and had a sneaky peak through the whole guide, and remember been blown away by what the game was going to offer me. Been the first Zelda game I had ever played, literally everything within fascinated me, from the first time I stepped outside my tree and was presented with Kokiri Forest, the first boss/dungeon, the first time I stepped in to Hyrule Field, meeting Ganondorf for the first time...etc. Ocarina Of Time is truly deserving of the perfect scores it received, and even the fact 99% of sources still say it's the best game of all time, with many people not been able to disagree.

Every game in the series that I've played has blown me away on first play-through in various ways. Whilst Wind Waker was my least favourite, it's still an amazing game. The traversing of the sea is the let down for me, and took away a lot of immersion.

Very few games ever make me want to visit every little nook and cranny of the map without fast travelling, enjoying the views at all times, wanting to talk to every single NPC I come across just to feel the story.

I'm hooked on Breath Of The Wild right now, but I know when it ends it will be a game I'll wish I could re-visit for the first time ever again, but for me, Ocarina Of Time will be my number 1 game of all time that I wish I could re-visit for the first time ever.

[04] Far Cry 03/04 - I'd never even heard of this game till I randomly decided to pick up Far Cry 03 in some random charity shop. Whilst Far Cry 03 definitely holds up as the one that had the best story to play through, I actually preferred the world of 04 and the missions it offered. Actually felt weird when I no longer had any temples to take over in 04...first time I came under a mortar strike whilst trying to take down said tower...It was a game that was fun to stand back and watch the world and inhabitants interact.

Now, I'm probably missing a lot of titles off this list, but for me these stand out as major ones I wish I could re-visit again for the first time, rather than games I know I can just put in and play any time of the day.

• Algonquin Assassin and Neon_Dreaming like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

DONT YOU WANT A 🅱ALLOON???

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:55 PM Edited by The Deadite, 30 June 2017 - 11:57 PM.

I'd rather be a kid again instead of erasing my memories.

Grown up me appreciates and is overall a better at games, but i honestly don't enjoy gaming as much as i did when i was a kid, i don't spend hours either brawling with the VCPD or killing zombies in dead rising anymore. I doubt i would enjoy my all time favorites so much if i played them fresh today.
  • livejoker, KilnerLUFC, HaythamKenway and 1 other like this

Synthol
  • Synthol

Just touch uranus someplace else

• Members
  • Namibia

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:40 PM Edited by Synthol, 30 June 2017 - 08:10 PM.

Honorable mention goes to TBoGT. I remember watching the first trailer and sh*tting my pants in awe, only to realize the game was an xbox 360 exclusive, it was f*cking devestating knowing I'd probably never play the game. Thankfully it was only timed. the day my brother walked into the house with the game's copy, I was thrilled. 

Seriously, the game is awesome, it literally let me do all the things I wanted to do in IV but couldn't, except for maybe diving. The amount of content that the game had was astonishing, and it's depressing knowing R* will NEVER produce quality content like this again, courtesy of retarded 12 year olds stealing their parents' credit cards. f*ck.

Found it.

• Sunrise Driver, fashion, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

Boss

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

San Andreas hands down
  • Sunrise Driver likes this

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:01 PM

Probably L.A Noire. I dunno, it's just the whole experience of being a detective in the 1940's that really does it for me. Especially with their facial capture dealio, and the game mechanics. I've never played like it since.

• Rafae likes this

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Thunderstorm

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:41 PM Edited by Ertan Soner, 03 July 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Gta vice city...The atmosphere, the feeling, the city, story, characters, it was amazing experience. Played it for hours and never got bored. Best gta along with gta 4

• Candy_Licker likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users