Photo

Merge two or more posts & Delete last post

4 replies to this topic
kosticn101
  • kosticn101

Rat

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:04 PM Edited by kosticn101, 24 June 2017 - 04:10 PM.

I generally use edit feature to add updates to my posts but sometimes I want to notify other users of some update that is worth noticing, so I send a new post.

It's a cosmetic change but I think that space will be less cluttered if you show it like this

Spoiler

instead of showing it like this
Spoiler

And maybe allowing users to delete their posts if their post is last one (there are no more replies to the topic) isn't that bad idea. It may be good in case of double posting or something like that.

• HalfOfAKebab and The_Human like this

Kerimbjk
  • Kerimbjk

Hello there!

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:58 PM Edited by Kerimbjk, 15 July 2017 - 08:36 AM.

And what if I change only 1 letter in my post? Does this function need to duplicate my whole post and paste the duplicated version below the original version?

What about posts that have a sh*t ton of words (let's have the old SeaWallTX threads in our minds), I can imagine that he changed his posts a lot of times, so that would just cause a lot and I mean a lot of texts for just some small changes to the post.

What if we change your idea a bit, maybe we should allow users to click on the "Edited by kosticn101, 4 days ago" text and redirect them to a page where you can see all the changes that has been made in a post, just like how Stack overflow made it (see screenshot).

7aIOWNl.png

2pVbdVg.png

But I think this feature should be a staff only feature, it isn't really an important thing for regular users.

Anyway, this was not really your point, so let's get back to the topic.

I kinda agree but also disagree with the "notify users about my changes", I assume you mean that your thread goes up in the list of threads and shows "kosticn101 updated 2 weeks ago" instead of "kosticn101 2 weeks ago". (see screenshot to see where this should be displayed)

120F1CN.png

But then you get this situation where people only change a couple (or maybe even 1) small thing(s), this will cause the topic list to change every second on popular sections (for example the GTA Online section).

And then there's also people who bump there threads, those people will annoy other people (because people think the post contains new (important) information, but it does not) this is where I go to the next subject "allowing users to delete their posts if its the last post in the thread". People will then bump their thread and immediately delete their last post so that their thread gets to the top without any changes. Also, I like to see threads where 90% of the posts are just bumps, it shows how unprofessional the thread is (let's take this one as an example http://gtaforums.com...entry1069718429).

TL;DR: nice idea, but you should think about situations that can happen when these ideas made it into the final product (the website).

kosticn101
  • kosticn101

Rat

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:02 AM Edited by kosticn101, 15 July 2017 - 04:19 AM.

It's not my original idea, I saw this on other forum. :D

This is what's shown:
yAkmzXp.png

This is what I get when I want to edit that post:
aU99NSH.png

So posts are actually merged in a database if you reply to your own post.
Space is saved, users are notified and all are happy.

What if we change your idea a bit, maybe we should allow users to click on the "Edited by kosticn101, 4 days ago" text and redirect them to a page where you can see all the changes that has been made in a post, just like how Stack overflow made it (see screenshot).

I'm in condition to edit my post 100 times before I'm happy with the result.

Also, I like to see threads where 90% of the posts are just bumps, it shows how unprofessional the thread is (let's take this one as an example http://gtaforums.com...try1069718429).

OMFG o.O

People will then bump their thread and immediately delete their last post so that their thread gets to the top without any changes.

I don't know how it is checked here what topic should be on top of the list, but I think that if someone replies and then deletes his post, topic should go to where it was before.

This is what I do if a forum doesn't have "updated" feature and I have an important edit to make and my post is last: I copy original post and then I delete it, after that I add new content and I repost it with those important edits. So it would be nice if at least this feature is added, nevermind the "updated" feature.

Kerimbjk
  • Kerimbjk

Hello there!

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:38 AM Edited by Kerimbjk, 15 July 2017 - 09:42 AM.

So posts are actually merged in a database if you reply to your own post.

So if I understand it correctly, then it would be something like this:
- Jack posted something an hour ago and he wants to add more information to his post.
- Jack can manually add it by selecting the edit option, but he can also notify users by selecting the reply option.

- Jack goes for the reply option.

- How would Jack's new reply in his own post notify users? Only by showing "----------- Napisano: 18 Apr 2011 23:43 -----------" ? That's the same thing as the function we currently have "Edited by Napisano, 4 hours ago".

From what I understand from this is that the reply and edit options are exactly the same thing, except you get the "----------- Napisano: 18 Apr 2011 23:43 -----------" part when you choose the reply option, right?

I'm in condition to edit my post 100 times before I'm happy with the result.

Yeah, let's forget about that. I don't know how Stack Overflow handles that, but then the site has to show your post 100 times. So that isn't a great idea.

People will then bump their thread and immediately delete their last post so that their thread gets to the top without any changes.

(1): I don't know how it is checked here what topic should be on top of the list,
(2): but I think that if someone replies and then deletes his post, topic should go to where it was before.
(3): This is what I do if a forum doesn't have "updated" feature and I have an important edit to make and my post is last: I copy original post and then I delete it, after that I add new content and I repost it with those important edits. So it would be nice if at least this feature is added, nevermind the "updated" feature.

(1): Well when there's a new reply in a topic, the topic moves to the top of the list (see screenshot 1). Because the list of all topics in a section is sorted by "Recently Updated".
screenshot 1
uPUrUyM.png
(2): But that won't change the situation.
Ok, so Jack wants to bump his topic, here's what Jack would do (and also annoy people) when your idea made it into the final product:
- Jack posts a "bump" reply to his topic.
- His topic goes all the way to the top of the list, because a new reply just got posted in his topic.
- Users are looking at his topic, but still don't want to reply because they are not interested.
- After a week (with no new replies from other people in his topic), Jack's topic goes down the list because no one replied to it and other topics got new replies.
- So Jack deletes his last post (because the last post was his reply, so he has the right to remove his post (comes from your idea)) and posts a new reply.
- His topic goes all the way to the top of the list and then repeat the whole process.

The only thing that changed this situation is just the fact that Jack can keep his topic clean, because he is able to delete his last post (from your idea).
(3): 2 problems;
1: "Napisano: 18 Apr 2011 23:43" shouldn't be plain text in a post, users shouldn't be able to edit that bit of text otherwise the whole idea behind that is just useless in some situations.
2:

And how would you notify users? Just by adding "Napisano: 18 Apr 2011 23:43" to your post? If so, then that is just the same thing as how it is right now: "Edited by Napisano, 4 hours ago".

If that's not how users get notified then:
What if I change my post from 2 weeks ago and there are 100 more posts after mine (for example the bitch and moan topic from GTA Online section), how would my post get attention so users know that I edited my post?

Unfortunately the staff needs to change a lot of things in order to achieve your idea and they are probably doing their job (as a staff member on GTAForums) in their free time so unless you hire 1 or more developers that can do this for GTAForums, you won't see this idea anytime soon even when the staff likes your idea. :/

A bit off topic: I hope the staff made a to do list so they can add the things in the list to the website after upgrading to IPB4 and I hope there will be a team of developers that only have one job and that is to keep the website updated. I'll be happy to help GTAForums, but I don't have any experience with IPB, however I can write scripts with a couple of programming languages. 

kosticn101
  • kosticn101

Rat

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:00 AM Edited by kosticn101, 15 July 2017 - 10:42 AM.

What if I change my post from 2 weeks ago and there are 100 more posts after mine (for example the bitch and moan topic from GTA Online section), how would my post get attention so users know that I edited my post?

Oh, I wasn't clear enough :D.

Often my post is last one in the topic :(. I have some important info to add to that topic. Yes, I could edit that post of mine but nobody would notice that. That's why I send a new post. But now we have two posts of mine together. After some time I have more info to add so I send another post and now we have three posts of mine together. That way you could compose whole page with just my posts.

So..what I was proposing is to take new post of mine and merge it with my last post.

How would Jack's new reply in his own post notify users?

Topic gets to the top.
So internally it's an edit (to original post you add UPDATED (or not) and then new content) but topic gets to the top.
I repeat, this can be applied only if your post is last and you reply to it.

Btw "Napisano: time" means something like "First post written at: time". "Dopuna: time" means something like "New content written at: time".

"Napisano: 18 Apr 2011 23:43" shouldn't be plain text in a post, users shouldn't be able to edit that bit of text otherwise the whole idea behind that is just useless in some situations.

It's no problem. You can delete it from your post if you don't want that to be shown, but it's automatically added when you reply to your own post. So it's just like a special BBCode that shows line and then some text on it. It doesn't play any other role.

To summarize:
1. my post is last
2. I reply to that topic
3. my original post is edited: new content is added
4. "Edited by kosticn101, 1 second ago." (they could introduce an "updated" flag and show "Updated" instead of "Edited", but that's cosmetic).
5. topic gets to the top

Difference between
- editing my post that is last one in a topic, and
- replying to a topic where my post is last one
is: topic gets to the top. In both cases my post contains more info.
Check out the pictures again.

RHBraLX.png

The only thing that changed this situation is just the fact that Jack can keep his topic clean, because he is able to delete his last post (from your idea).

That's the whole point..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users