Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think I agree. Couldn't read because it crops up in the Online section so much my mind is numbed to the subject, but my feeling is that they tend to lead nowhere good.

Scott Stapp
  • Scott Stapp

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Scott Stapp, 2 weeks ago.

The loumouths and losers playing music through the mics are worse than ever. I guess the hackers/griefers had a purpose after all. Purging the game of whiney bitches. 

Who wants to pay for that? I'm going to pay $100 to unlock .0000000008% of the polygons on a map in a game I already paid $60 for? And then mute every player?

And half of the lobbies sound like an angry Black Lives Matter rally. 

• Arrows to Athens likes this

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

These companies should be shamed and shunned by the gaming community.

someone needs to take this information and give a f/cking speech at the next Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas or the next E3 in LA. where are these kinds of hard-hitting articles on influential gaming news outlets? most big industry gaming reporters are too attached to the industry itself (the access, the exclusivity) to risk doing any kind of important journalism like this.

I been mulling around ideas in my head to make a meme out of Strauss Zelnick chopping wood in reference to his statement on micro-transactions. If no one else will start one then by god I will come up with one myself, it should send a pretty strong message.

• Darealbandicoot likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 2 weeks ago

People are ragging on micro transactions left and right; players and journalists let's not jump on a non existent high horse here. But quite simply: people will continue paying, it will continue to happen. The people who are shelling out hundreds for Shark Cards are not the type to read essays on why micro transactions are bad. 

Scott Stapp
  • Scott Stapp

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

People are ragging on micro transactions left and right; players and journalists let's not jump on a non existent high horse here. But quite simply: people will continue paying, it will continue to happen. The people who are shelling out hundreds for Shark Cards are not the type to read essays on why micro transactions are bad. 

No one's writing their complaints to those people, so that's a red herring. 

They're not the majority, yet R* is clearly pandering to them. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Leftist Bastard, 2 weeks ago.

It's not a red herring. I'm referring to this particular post by Diablo:

someone needs to take this information and give a f/cking speech at the next Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas or the next E3 in LA. where are these kinds of hard-hitting articles on influential gaming news outlets? most big industry gaming reporters are too attached to the industry itself (the access, the exclusivity) to risk doing any kind of important journalism like this.

Which ignores the gaming media and it's persons constant ragging against micro transactions. Jim Sterling's practically made a career out of it, for one. This is not a problem of exposure and the minority you speak of made R* some half a billion dollars over the course of 3 years. Angry forum posts simply don't matter when shark cards still sell and when we're all going to stay up overnight in front of GameStop or your retailer of choice to grab Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018. 

Snap poll: how many of you still play GTAO despite your grievances with R* and the way they've run its service?

zoso80
  • zoso80

I didn't leave GTA, GTA left me.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by zoso80, A week ago.

Excellent thread and I applaud you Red. I like that you're thinking long term and foreseeing the disastrous affects this business model will have on GTA as a franchise and gaming in general the more content serves what I call macrotransactions, instead of serving gaming. Content is becoming the bastard child indeed. 

There is nothing "micro" in a $100 cash card. I personally know of people who have a 50 dollar a month cash card habit.  Insane! The gaming industry is heading for an Atari style crash if it disregards innovative and compelling content to the extent that we eventually get E.T. level crap. People will just stop buying. 

I know I will not support R* going forward. I know Red Dead will be laced with this toxic business model. The single player content will suffer mightily for it and the online portion will just be there to pick your pocket. That's not an evolution in the gaming industry I want to support.

Cheers.

• Street Mix, RedDagger, thehambone and 2 others like this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I been mulling around ideas in my head to make a meme out of Strauss Zelnick chopping wood in reference to his statement on micro-transactions. If no one else will start one then by god I will come up with one myself, it should send a pretty strong message.
Gotta chop that wood and lie about nickel and dimeing the player base am I right?

Niobium
  • Niobium

fu*k dick two and fu*k cockstar.

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted A week ago Edited by Niobium, 6 days ago.

very good read red dagger. gonna give you a "like" because you deserve it with all that effort put into your post.

too think that many players think the DLCs in GTA:O are acceptable because you can get them for free.... and to think that many players say it's easy to earn money in GTA:O (lol GTFO with that bullsh*t.)

remember when rockstar released DLC that was actually worth your money? EFLC gave us two new campaigns, two new protagonist, a whole new bunch of weapons and vehicles (without having to buy shark cards lol. just call terry/armando and clay/henrique), new interiors, new side missions, and more... and you don't even need IV to play it!

also, who could forget undead nightmare, which also has a sh*tload of content, and was dirt cheap when it came out (only 10 dollars!) $10 in GTA V will give you what? a bull shark card? that's worth 500k in online? what can that buy you? maybe one sports car and some upgrades. yeah, totes worth it. /s

interesting to see how much cockstar has changed in terms of how they handle their DLC.
  • MiamiViceCity, B Dawg, RedDagger and 2 others like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

also, who could forget undead nightmare, which also has a sh*tload of content, and was dirt cheap when it came out (only 10 dollars!) $10 in GTA V will give you what? a bull shark card? that's worth 500k in online? what can that buy you? maybe one sports car and some upgrades. yeah, totes worth it. /s

interesting to see how much cockstar has changed in terms of how they handle their DLC.

To put a little more perspective on this, the most expensive shark card is the $100 Megalodon card, which gives you $8 million in-game. The most expensive item Online is that sh*tty gold jet, which costs $10 million.

So, you can basically spend almost twice as much money as the game itself costs, and still not have enough money in-game to buy a single, particular vehicle.

For that same cost, you could buy EFLC and Undead Nightmare, and still have about $50-$60 left to spare; enough for a whole other game.
  • B Dawg, RedDagger, Niobium and 2 others like this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Kings and Thieves

• Members
  • England

Posted 5 days ago

And this is why IV was a better game.

• Niobium, thehambone and Professional Amateur like this

zoso80
  • zoso80

I didn't leave GTA, GTA left me.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago Edited by zoso80, 3 days ago.

At very least there was no heavy hand nickle and diming with you non-franchise advancing repetitive mechanics under different pixels to drain your in-game money in the online portion. No de-facto paywalls either. ;)

GTA IV got real single player additions that were content driven.  Not to mention, those single player add-ons - each had unique features to their online modes that differed from the others.

It was a GAME and the GAME came first. Such a strong contrast to what we have today with GTA:O. Without The Benz, GTA VI will be a hot mess. You don't take the spiritual father out of it, the creator of much of the franchise wickedness and have it as good. Plus the whole macrotransaction business model will result in the next iteration being built as a macrotransaction machine from the ground up.  V has been morphed into it, while it's backbone is still not of that toxic business model. VI will be designed around it. Thus, we're square back to RedDagger's excellent essay.

Excellent point Athens.

Cheers.

And this is why IV was a better game.

• B Dawg, thehambone, Arrows to Athens and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users