Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

I think I agree. Couldn't read because it crops up in the Online section so much my mind is numbed to the subject, but my feeling is that they tend to lead nowhere good.

Scott Stapp
  • Scott Stapp

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:23 AM Edited by Scott Stapp, 03 July 2017 - 08:24 AM.

The loumouths and losers playing music through the mics are worse than ever. I guess the hackers/griefers had a purpose after all. Purging the game of whiney bitches. 

Who wants to pay for that? I'm going to pay $100 to unlock .0000000008% of the polygons on a map in a game I already paid $60 for? And then mute every player?

And half of the lobbies sound like an angry Black Lives Matter rally. 

• Arrows to Athens and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

These companies should be shamed and shunned by the gaming community.

someone needs to take this information and give a f/cking speech at the next Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas or the next E3 in LA. where are these kinds of hard-hitting articles on influential gaming news outlets? most big industry gaming reporters are too attached to the industry itself (the access, the exclusivity) to risk doing any kind of important journalism like this.

I been mulling around ideas in my head to make a meme out of Strauss Zelnick chopping wood in reference to his statement on micro-transactions. If no one else will start one then by god I will come up with one myself, it should send a pretty strong message.

• Darealbandicoot likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

People are ragging on micro transactions left and right; players and journalists let's not jump on a non existent high horse here. But quite simply: people will continue paying, it will continue to happen. The people who are shelling out hundreds for Shark Cards are not the type to read essays on why micro transactions are bad. 

Scott Stapp
  • Scott Stapp

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

People are ragging on micro transactions left and right; players and journalists let's not jump on a non existent high horse here. But quite simply: people will continue paying, it will continue to happen. The people who are shelling out hundreds for Shark Cards are not the type to read essays on why micro transactions are bad. 

No one's writing their complaints to those people, so that's a red herring. 

They're not the majority, yet R* is clearly pandering to them. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:53 AM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 04 July 2017 - 12:54 AM.

It's not a red herring. I'm referring to this particular post by Diablo:

someone needs to take this information and give a f/cking speech at the next Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas or the next E3 in LA. where are these kinds of hard-hitting articles on influential gaming news outlets? most big industry gaming reporters are too attached to the industry itself (the access, the exclusivity) to risk doing any kind of important journalism like this.

Which ignores the gaming media and it's persons constant ragging against micro transactions. Jim Sterling's practically made a career out of it, for one. This is not a problem of exposure and the minority you speak of made R* some half a billion dollars over the course of 3 years. Angry forum posts simply don't matter when shark cards still sell and when we're all going to stay up overnight in front of GameStop or your retailer of choice to grab Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018. 

Snap poll: how many of you still play GTAO despite your grievances with R* and the way they've run its service?

zoso80
  • zoso80

I didn't leave GTA, GTA left me.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:47 PM Edited by zoso80, 10 July 2017 - 04:52 PM.

Excellent thread and I applaud you Red. I like that you're thinking long term and foreseeing the disastrous affects this business model will have on GTA as a franchise and gaming in general the more content serves what I call macrotransactions, instead of serving gaming. Content is becoming the bastard child indeed. 

There is nothing "micro" in a $100 cash card. I personally know of people who have a 50 dollar a month cash card habit.  Insane! The gaming industry is heading for an Atari style crash if it disregards innovative and compelling content to the extent that we eventually get E.T. level crap. People will just stop buying. 

I know I will not support R* going forward. I know Red Dead will be laced with this toxic business model. The single player content will suffer mightily for it and the online portion will just be there to pick your pocket. That's not an evolution in the gaming industry I want to support.

Cheers.

• Sunrise Driver, RedDagger, thehambone and 7 others like this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

I been mulling around ideas in my head to make a meme out of Strauss Zelnick chopping wood in reference to his statement on micro-transactions. If no one else will start one then by god I will come up with one myself, it should send a pretty strong message.
Gotta chop that wood and lie about nickel and dimeing the player base am I right?

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:53 PM Edited by Niobium, 15 July 2017 - 02:30 AM.

very good read red dagger. gonna give you a "like" because you deserve it with all that effort put into your post.

too think that many players think the DLCs in GTA:O are acceptable because you can get them for free.... and to think that many players say it's easy to earn money in GTA:O (lol GTFO with that bullsh*t.)

remember when rockstar released DLC that was actually worth your money? EFLC gave us two new campaigns, two new protagonist, a whole new bunch of weapons and vehicles (without having to buy shark cards lol. just call terry/armando and clay/henrique), new interiors, new side missions, and more... and you don't even need IV to play it!

also, who could forget undead nightmare, which also has a sh*tload of content, and was dirt cheap when it came out (only 10 dollars!) $10 in GTA V will give you what? a bull shark card? that's worth 500k in online? what can that buy you? maybe one sports car and some upgrades. yeah, totes worth it. /s

interesting to see how much cockstar has changed in terms of how they handle their DLC.
  • Mister Pink, Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and 7 others like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

also, who could forget undead nightmare, which also has a sh*tload of content, and was dirt cheap when it came out (only 10 dollars!) $10 in GTA V will give you what? a bull shark card? that's worth 500k in online? what can that buy you? maybe one sports car and some upgrades. yeah, totes worth it. /s

interesting to see how much cockstar has changed in terms of how they handle their DLC.

To put a little more perspective on this, the most expensive shark card is the $100 Megalodon card, which gives you $8 million in-game. The most expensive item Online is that sh*tty gold jet, which costs $10 million.

So, you can basically spend almost twice as much money as the game itself costs, and still not have enough money in-game to buy a single, particular vehicle.

For that same cost, you could buy EFLC and Undead Nightmare, and still have about $50-$60 left to spare; enough for a whole other game.
  • B Dawg, Kevert, RedDagger and 8 others like this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Kings and Thieves

• Members
  • England

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

And this is why IV was a better game.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Kevert and 8 others like this

zoso80
  • zoso80

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:26 PM Edited by zoso80, 17 July 2017 - 08:34 PM.

At very least there was no heavy hand nickle and diming with you non-franchise advancing repetitive mechanics under different pixels to drain your in-game money in the online portion. No de-facto paywalls either. ;)

GTA IV got real single player additions that were content driven.  Not to mention, those single player add-ons - each had unique features to their online modes that differed from the others.

It was a GAME and the GAME came first. Such a strong contrast to what we have today with GTA:O. Without The Benz, GTA VI will be a hot mess. You don't take the spiritual father out of it, the creator of much of the franchise wickedness and have it as good. Plus the whole macrotransaction business model will result in the next iteration being built as a macrotransaction machine from the ground up.  V has been morphed into it, while it's backbone is still not of that toxic business model. VI will be designed around it. Thus, we're square back to RedDagger's excellent essay.

Excellent point Athens.

Cheers.

And this is why IV was a better game.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Kevert and 6 others like this

Kevert
  • Kevert

Isn't criminality exhilarating?

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:58 PM Edited by Kevert, 23 July 2017 - 01:00 PM.

I've already been boycotting EA for over three years now because of this nonsense and their sh*tty support of their games too. If I ever want to buy an EA game in the future, it will only be bought second hand from a local shop or a friend. They will never see a single cent of my money ever again. My friends have been constantly trying to get me to buy Battlefield 1 since they all have it but I refuse to give in.

I'm considering this approach with R* after the microtransaction mess GTA V has turned into. We didn't get even ONE good dlc for SP or MP from this game never mind the fact that we had to wait for over two years for the bloody heists to come out, something that was advertised pre-release ffs. What's funny is that V needed a solid SP dlc much more than IV ever did because it's original SP content is so short, limited and weak. My boycott may extend to R* depending on the nature of RDR 2 so I suppose time will tell.

Props to you RedDagger for expressing what many of us have felt but never have taken the time to write about ourselves. Your post encompasses everything that needed to be said so well, I'm considering adding it to my signature as many others have done to increase its exposure. How I arrived here was through yours after all.  ;)

• Mister Pink, Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and 8 others like this

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:55 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 07 August 2017 - 08:47 AM.

Wish I'd clicked on this thread earlier.  From now on if I see someone defending this sh*t I'm just going to post a link to this topic and let them educate themselves.  It's a bad system and exactly as you say, everything bad about it flows from the initial decision to sell in-game currency.

I've already been boycotting EA for over three years now because of this nonsense and their sh*tty support of their games too... I'm considering this approach with R* after the microtransaction mess GTA V has turned into.

Same here.  And it's a shame.  I mean really, I got 100% on every GTA game since 3 (in fact I got 100% on 3 and San Andreas twice each).  I loved GTA V.  I've played unholy amounts of GTA Online despite my problems with it.  And Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite games of all time.  Yet I've reached a point where I feel like it's morally irresponsible to support them as a developer, so long as they're doing this.  I don't think I can not play RDR2, but wait to get it used?  Maybe.

The really messed up thing is that about a month after GTA V came out, I bought a $20 shark card because I wanted to show my support of a developer and game that I loved; I didn't particularly need the money.  Almost 4 years later, I feel exactly the opposite.  There's a lot of good stuff in this game still, but it's buried under a mountain of greed, and they need to be punished for it.

It was a GAME and the GAME came first. Such a strong contrast to what we have today with GTA:O. Without The Benz, GTA VI will be a hot mess. You don't take the spiritual father out of it, the creator of much of the franchise wickedness and have it as good. Plus the whole macrotransaction business model will result in the next iteration being built as a macrotransaction machine from the ground up.

I keep pointing this out every time his name is invoked, but once more with feeling: The Benz is largely responsible for GTA Online (and probably for shark cards too), if his lawsuit is to be believed.  He describes himself as the entire driving force behind it and that the Housers had no interest, and just wanted to make another single player game like always.  Now the thing has taken on a life of its own.  But let's not anoint the man as a saint when he has claimed responsibility for the very thing that is slowly draining the life from the classic GTA experience.

• Mister Pink, Shaundi., Journey_95 and 6 others like this

zoso80
  • zoso80

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:59 PM Edited by zoso80, 05 August 2017 - 09:40 PM.

I don't appoint him to the Priesthood, but I do recognize he favored a balance approach that kept the content front and center while having the macrotransactions in the background.

I'm not going to fault him for inventing the model. Just as I don't blame scientists who invented the atomic bomb. What happened after it was out of their hands is not their fault.

This is an important point.

Spoiler
  • thehambone, DangerZ0neX and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Anasterian
  • Anasterian

Harbinger of Revenge

• Members

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

inb4 "its optional"

Yeah, it's optional. You don't "have" to buy sharkcards. But the devs are going to pull every possible trick in the book to make sharkcards more attractive. They'll make sure to constantly give you nudges towards the store, put the store link in an easy to find and accessible place, put it in as many places as possible, send you in-game messages about new content, in-game calls about new content, loading screens about new content, newswire posts, emails in your actual inbox etc.

And aside from those tricks, of course, prices are going to keep going higher and higher to push people to buy shark cards. This results in $10,000 T-shirts that are no more difficult to create and texture than the $700 T-shirts.

And since this is all pixels, you can't even say that they'll last longer, or that the material's better quality, or that they're a limited edition brand... they're not. They're infinite, they're all equal other than the visuals. They have no real collection value. Nothing. You're paying over ten times the price just because it was added later in a 'DLC'.

Also $100 'micro' transactions in a $60 game. I cannot, and will not, take seriously anyone who thinks this is anything but madness. $100 in a $60 game can get you a Yacht, or a couple of high end cars. We've let this get to the point where people are being pushed towards $100 transactions giving them access to a couple of cars in a game that was originally $60 and released with hundreds of cars to begin with.

Now I'm simply afraid that it's too late. That this will just continue on, and get worse. It's been getting worse for the last 4 years for this game alone, and 'micro' transactions weren't even new at the time.

• Cratoz, thehambone, zoso80 and 2 others like this

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

The game was good at the start tbh...

Ok i am lying, but the first year or so i did had the intention they actually tried to fix sh*t.

Now how ever...meh...

In general how ever i do miss the times when a game just was what you bought at the start though. :/

But to be honest, in general i still overall prefer this model then the model with payed DLC, at least when talking about online, because that can split up the player base.

• Voodoo-Hendrix likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:38 AM Edited by Journey_95, 05 August 2017 - 03:40 AM.

Fantastic post, sadly won't have much effect and the Online kiddies will still keep buying shark cards.

Microtransactions are probably the worst thing that has happened to gaming.

• Mister Pink, zoso80 and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:30 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 07 August 2017 - 09:00 AM.

Dunno if this has been discussed much already, but Overwatch does microtransactions just fine imo. I think you can get a decent amount of cosmetics just by playing the game and they release new free gameplay content pretty frequently. 

Hearthstone on the other hand...

edit: Also I didn't read the entire OP, but I read enough to give it a like.

Devs of Middle-Earth: Shadow of War just announced that the game will have a loot box system and yes you can buy those loot boxes with real money:

https://community.wb...ket/m-p/1611183
Yay you can get orcs from loot boxes. A fully priced singleplayer game is pretty much the last place you should put micro-transactions in.

I hope WB does the same as SE did with Mankind Divided's pre-order system by taking this sh*t out after seeing the sh*tstorm it creates.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Since the decision would inevitably only be fuelled by money, they only way they'd remove it is if they could reasonably expect the removal to increase profits, i.e. the sh*tstorm eats sufficiently into the expected revenue brought about by the microtransactions. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't budge and gamble on it being a net plus, considering how absurdly successful they are for other games.
  • Pedinhuh and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Loot boxes in a single player only game is what happens when a publisher is so desperate to get in on the micro transaction mega money but they don't have a popular multiplayer franchise to add it to.

Craycray to think that they now have to balance single player drop rates and loot tables because they added loot boxes.

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Remember when R* itself used to mock both microtransactions and overly militarized games with ingame commercials like Digifarm and Righteous Slaughter 7?

Then GTA Online came and eventually became the very own thing that R* used to mock but in steroids, how ironic...

• Mister Pink, zoso80 and Sentinel Driver like this

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:02 AM Edited by Cheesy_wotsit, 13 August 2017 - 01:16 PM.

Good post there OP but you missed one key downside to all this micro transaction nonsense and it's one that is starting to heavily affect GTA Online now, it's also one that I have touched on in my latests rant in the bitch and moan thread.

The requirement to keep pushing out DLC after DLC in a bid to generate Shark Card returns now means we are hitting a situation of degradation of quality and variety of content. By this I mean GTA online now has so many factors, missions, vehicles, weapons and things to do, interacting with each other, combined with the ever constant requirement to keep forcing out more and more DLC it has become clear that Rockstar are not putting anywhere near the Q and A needed to ensure that all this new content is functionally up to standard, that the cars, equipment and game play elements are of a high enough quality that they function within the many varied aspects of the games mechanics. I harp back to this one example as it is a real focal bug bear of mine just now but certain cars simply do not work in certain stunt races while using certain game mechanics / racing options. That's a day one core game mechanic / game option (catch up) linked through not one but two new content updates (the X80 Proto on the Green Machine race) and if these updates had been quality checked to the degree they should have then their is no way that the last run of stunt races would have made the cut and this is a problem that will only continue to get worse as Rockstar add more and more content, Of course their is a more worrying issue, that they WERE checked that the issue was spotted but Rockstar decided that the time and effort needed to fix the issue wasn't worth the delay, part of me suspects this, given that the issue has been reported and so far has not fixed just seemingly pushed to the sidelines by Rockstar's Q and A department... people... uh person... monkey?

The variety of content issue is one that is becoming more and more of a problem as well, not withstanding that just about everything since the first stunt race series has been a vast departure from the tone of GTA with the Gunrunning DLC being frankly insulting, sorry the Oppressor and Stunt Races takes GTA from having a semi realistic feel to it and puts it firmly in the realm of Saints Row levels of stupid and silly.

Look at the Super Car roster, you have the best part of 2 dozen cars but when you go to a race you will have maybe 3 or 4 of those cars and usually those cars are the most recent releases. Rockstar have become so creatively bankrupt that the only way they can sell a Super Car now is to give it a marginal advantage in one of it's mechanics and then hope that the racers will buy it before some Youtuber tells you it's actually rubbish. Remember when cars were released in packs of 5 or 6, each one a bit different, with some feature to justify buying and now what we get is a drip feed of cars, starting with a must buy slightly better than the current run of Supercars running over two months and then ending with another Supercar that is a little bit better than the one they started the dripfeed with.

By doing this they have taken what could have been a fantastic opportunity to have races of 30 players all using a vast and huge variety of cars with all the mods on them and shuffled it down to each race being made up of four or five car types, seriously when was the last time anyone saw one of the original cars in a current race? and this is where the two factors link together nicely, the fact that Rockstar don't test the new content to the extent it needs, the fact that the content is often associated with whatever new vehicle is being released along side it means you have an example where the reason you don't see older cars in current run of stunt races is not just because Rockstar have made the older cars redundant via their policy of we have to justify someone wanting to spend big bucks on this car, make it a bit faster than the last, but most likely because the older cars wouldn't even be able to physically run a lot of the stunt races. The issue do not stop there though. The reason why we haven't had any new dedicated missions is because Rockstar have weaponised and armoured so many cars since the original missions launched that not only are the original missions devoid of ANY challenge now, the only way to make any new missions a challenge now would be to give every NPC a rocket launcher. Freeroam events, remember those, A dozen or so challenges which all required slightly different vehicles to make real headway in, now you can easily win at least half of them using just the Oppressor and not just win them easily in the case of longest jump i mean win them to a degree that conclusively proves that Rockstar don't have a f*cking clue what they are doing when they release the new content. What worries me more is that someone DID Q and A this combo of vehicle and event and despite being told it was broken someone somewhere Ok'd it.

The game is in a constant arms race between the players, being fuelled by Rockstar's desire to keep funding Shark Cards, and the result is that you barely see ANY of the cars that came with the game originally, they simply can't keep up in races, the same will eventually happen with the weapons MK2 vs the older weapons, for many it has already happened with the likes of many helicopters and planes. If Rockstar had the skill and the time to actually balance the new content to give it a compelling must have twist as opposed to 'it makes a bigger explosion','it does more damage', 'it goes a little bit faster', i.e they put some creativity in to the end product then you would have a much much more varied game, a game in which every player is being truly unique rather than just being part of the must have the latest more powerful thing to play with because I have to keep up with everyone else.

The weird thing is they managed to do this with the bikes, for the most part most likely because the bikes aren't as big a seller so haven't had the driven in to the creative wasteland focus that cars and other aspect of the game has had but it's possible to take part and win most races against the newer more expensive bikes using the $9,000 Akuma. Okay this is mostly due to abusing a broken game mechanic (the wheelie effect) but some how Rockstar managed to get this bit right.... then again that is also why I haven't bought either of the stupidly priced newer bikes, apart from the Trike which I bought because I liked the look, see unique and creative wins out over this thing goes a bit faster.

We also have the issue of the new content as well, pathetic new modes for existing game types 'Advisory Modes', Tiny Racers anyone? You can see they were thrown together in minutes and pushed out with the minimal amount of effort, in Rockstar's defence I can't see how these would generate much in the way of Shark Card money but I suspect they are being used as a deflection tactic, here look at the new game mode we have given you, try and forget that we haven't released ANY new missions or ANY new heists since the game launched, here's a new stupid variant of an existing game mode that will hang around for a few weeks before being forgotten, please don't focus on the fact that death matches and races, with a bit of focus and time spent on them could have built a real and celebrated community, that the many many faults could have been fixed, that the game mechanics could have been tightened up and made to be truly brilliant but we can't do that we have to spend all our time making the latest shiny must have super car while tossing you yet another factious and forgettable game mode that no one gives a f*ck about.

Let me just have your attention for a little bit longer, imagine if Rockstar hadn't given us the Stuntraces and the Tiny racers and that stupid sumo thing and that stupid overdrive mode that's currently doing the rounds and had instead spent some of that time firstly making the vehicles more balanced to encourage different driving styles giving a greater variety of vehicles at the start line, if they had then spent some time focusing on a real street race theme, with pink slips, proper betting, league tables, a sort of kudos system (think the JP system but it actually has a f*cking point) A community driven player rating system backed up by a combination of stats pulled from the racer so that when you're sitting in a lobby you can tell if that level 212 is actually a decent serious racer or just another f*ckspit that wants to spend his time trolling the race going the wrong way. If they fixed the physics engine so that the cars handled like cars rather than what Rockstar thinks a car handles like after having their tech team listen to a blind man who heard a car pass by him once in 1987, imagine what the racing scene in the game would be like and now imagine if they had pulled that amount of attention in to the Deathmatches, or the Missions or Heists and imagine what the game could have been like rather than whatever the f*ck the game is meant to be now... oh yeah it's about stupid neon coloured wall riding tubes, booster ramps, stupid jumps and broken races.

• RedDagger, Piggsy pls, D9fred95 and 4 others like this

zoso80
  • zoso80

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Only socially.  There are a couple people I enjoy playing with and they happen to still play GTA:O a bit. 

If I'm on my own, I'm working on Just Cause 3 or rocking some Toejam and Earl.

Cheers.

Snap poll: how many of you still play GTAO despite your grievances with R* and the way they've run its service?

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Look at the Super Car roster, you have the best part of 2 dozen cars but when you go to a race you will have maybe 3 or 4 of those cars and usually those cars are the most recent releases. Rockstar have become so creatively bankrupt that the only way they can sell a Super Car now is to give it a marginal advantage in one of it's mechanics and then hope that the racers will buy it before some Youtuber tells you it's actually rubbish. Remember when cars were released in packs of 5 or 6, each one a bit different, with some feature to justify buying and now what we get is a drip feed of cars, starting with a must buy slightly better than the current run of Supercars running over two months and then ending with another Supercar that is a little bit better than the one they started the dripfeed with.

By doing this they have taken what could have been a fantastic opportunity to have races of 30 players all using a vast and huge variety of cars with all the mods on them and shuffled it down to each race being made up of four or five car types, seriously when was the last time anyone saw one of the original cars in a current race? and this is where the two factors link together nicely, the fact that Rockstar don't test the new content to the extent it needs, the fact that the content is often associated with whatever new vehicle is being released along side it means you have an example where the reason you don't see older cars in current run of stunt races is not just because Rockstar have made the older cars redundant via their policy of we have to justify someone wanting to spend big bucks on this car, make it a bit faster than the last, but most likely because the older cars wouldn't even be able to physically run a lot of the stunt races. The issue do not stop there though. The reason why we haven't had any new dedicated missions is because Rockstar have weaponised and armoured so many cars since the original missions launched that not only are the original missions devoid of ANY challenge now, the only way to make any new missions a challenge now would be to give every NPC a rocket launcher. Freeroam events, remember those, A dozen or so challenges which all required slightly different vehicles to make real headway in, now you can easily win at least half of them using just the Oppressor and not just win them easily in the case of longest jump i mean win them to a degree that conclusively proves that Rockstar don't have a f*cking clue what they are doing when they release the new content. What worries me more is that someone DID Q and A this combo of vehicle and event and despite being told it was broken someone somewhere Ok'd it.

And now to the surprise of nobody, both the Vagner and the XA-21 are the fastest cars on a track (according to broughy1332).

Remember the Zentorno? The T20? The RE-7B? The Nero Custom?

God I hate power creep.
  • Coleco likes this

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Remember the Zentorno? The T20? The RE-7B? The Nero Custom?

Lol I remember when the Entity was the Supercar to use.

• Kevert, thehambone and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Anasterian
  • Anasterian

Harbinger of Revenge

• Members

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

Power creep may be an issue. What's even worse, they go and nerf the downforce effect so the end result is... you want to go as fast as your RE-7B used to? Buy the new 2+million car!

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

Haven't played GTAO since shortly after they introduced the RNG pay-to-skip research mechanic. I used to be in the "you don't have to" camp when it came to macrotransactions (sic), but as time has gone on it has become more and more evident that they are designed solely in such a manner that the player is being psychologically pummeled to give in and pay up. Sure, you don't have to pay, but you ultimately have less fun if you don't.

Kind of a shame, because I did initially enjoy the resupply missions, but they ultimately became nothing more than excessive busywork for (in my case) absolutely no gain. I am pretty much done with GTAO as a result, and have no desire to go back to it anytime soon, if ever.

I am now at the stage where the announcement of macrotransactions in a game is, for the most part, a complete turn-off. In fact, the only reason I'm interested in Gran Turismo again is because they've recently announce that GT Sport won't have them. Whether that remains true six months after release is another matter, but I'm prepared to give PD the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Mister Pink and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Daedalheidis
  • Daedalheidis

The Owner Of "S"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

GTA Online is the reason I stopped paying for microtransactions in video games.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:39 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 19 August 2017 - 06:13 PM.

I have many games that I play in rotation but only finish the a small percentage due to time constraints. However, lately I'm learning to go back to the time when I would mostly play one game and stick with that.Some times I get bogged down about what game I should try finish next. Microtransactions in games is good filter for me now. GTA used to be a perma-installed game for me. A few weeks back I uninstalled it. I'm done with it. From now on I'm going to just play games in order of my preference but If a game is pandering to pre-order/microstransactions sh*t, It's going to the bottom of my list. Therefore, it will most likely be purchased second hand. 

I know I'm in a minority but it makes me feel better. I don't think that what I'm doing will change the gaming industry. No. But I can't be a hypocrite, denouncing micro-transactions then rushing out and supporting these companies by buying their game new or pre-ordering. 

It's not going to be easy all the time. I all ready promised myself I wouldn't buy RDR2 new if it has micro-transactions. I'll wait until it comes down in price second-hand and then buy it. I also don't mind if I'm not playing a game with everyone else during the initial buzz. I'll just be playing something else at my own pace. 

Microtransactions annoy by their presence. I just can't enjoy a game with the nagging reality they're there and others use them. I don't want to be in the same lobby as someone who's bought all their stuff with real cash. 

• B Dawg, Kevert, RedDagger and 4 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users