Why microtransactions are bad for consumers AKA free content can be sh*t

221 replies to this topic
Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

I honest to god thing despite all that gaming is at an all time high.

Care to elaborate? 

Everything's just pretty bloody great, man. Game variety is just through the roof. There is something for absolutely everyone somewhere; and with the rise of digital distribution and the internet there are more ways to get your hands on the games you want, old classics or new hits. Indie development is booming with game design moving towards artistry and thoughtful design over the hard programming of the old days [basically anyone can make a game now]; technology is obviously at its best with production values getting higher, writing and story telling in video games is growing and evolving with developers looking for ways to turn the medium's interactivity into an asset and DLC when done right can really elevate a game [look at The Witcher 3, New Vegas or Dark Souls and Dark Souls II] and as another user noted here games are more accessible now and it's more socially acceptable as a hobby. 

There is always something I want to try out or want to play. For all the industry's fault I think things are on the whole better.

• RedDagger, HaythamKenway, Wu-Tang Forever and 6 others like this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

This sh*t will exist as long as there are stupid kids in the world and parents dumb enough to let them have access to their credit card. The only way to prevent this sort of thing is by simply not buying into it. Literally.

I never really experienced such a negative microtransaction experience before playing GTAV. I bought 1 or 2 outfits in Defiance. I had bought a couple of pointless Xbox Live avatar items and other meaningless sh*t in worthless DLC packs. But I really have never bought much from microtransactions. But up until before GTAV, it didn't bother me that much as generally most content were optional cosmetic items that once you bought you owned. You simply paid straight up money for an in game item. It was a purchase. It may be stupid to many people but it was still a purchase I wanted. But GTA on the other hand is a whole other world of sh*t.

Obviously most of it is probably already brought up. But it really hit me when during the GTAOnline closed beta and during the early days of the online mode. That it was obvious the game environment was out to rob you. The game that was literally designed around stealing cars now forced you to f*cking buy them, ingame and out. Shark cards didn't exist in the early weeks and months of the game but the infrastructure was there and in place. The simple realization that the highest payout for a mission barely offset your Adder getting destroyed in a tiny stream of water. The fact you drop money upon death, the fact you had to bank that money to ensure it's safety. The fact you had to pay for your own f*cking ammo. In the early days it was a lot worse as so many bugs and problems caused the loss of not only massive assets but characters too. sh*t that we never got refunded for. A mass community refund of a measly 500,000 wasn't nearly enough to fix what was lost. In one second a 1,5mil tank disappeared into oblivion, or the wrong type of purchase of a house made it not recognize the 400K purchase.

But as mentioned, the game is DESIGNED to rid you of your cash. But not only that, the game is DESIGNED to waste your time. There is NO reason why having a "replay mission" button isn't a thing other than just down to wanting to stop your earnings per hour. We originally had it but in a patch they removed it as apparently it "wasn't meant to be there on missions". Well why the f*ck not? Well because of money. Even when you don't care at all about money, even the simple things such as wanting to stay with your group of friends you were just playing with in the same session doesn't work and never has. How hard is it just to put all your friends into a session together? How about letting us TURN OFF THE f*ckING PHONE? Or letting us boot up the game and automatically go into a private session instead of a public one? All these things among much more can only be summed up to wanting to waste our time and prevent our rate in which we can earn in game cash. If you add up the time it would take to earn every asset in the game I highly doubt anyone would be even close to doing it just by missions alone. They used to have a sh*t payout but we could spin mixed up with coke in 46 seconds with a good team. Then they changed it so that money is only earnt from time spent and not by the mission itself or speed. So it made it all redundant. You could play a piss easy mission and just sit there at the end and earn way more without even paying attention. How is that good for gameplay?

Some games, it's not too bad, some stuff in Rainbow Six Siege is fine, and it does mean you don't have to pay for maps and it keeps the community together. But its all mostly cosmetic aside from the characters. But I loved the game enough to pay for them. That is the problem. I highly doubt many people wouldn't have paid money for small DLC packs for GTA. But expecting me to pay for sh*t that is earnable for free is just something I won't do. Especially when that content sucks.

The biggest joke of all is the value of this content. Nothing in ANY game should have a real world value more than the price of the game itself, unless it provides an entire game's worth of content. I have no problem supporting a game I love. But I am sick to death of season passes and pointless DLC to later find out it sucks anus and is barely a DLC to begin with. Buying content before you even know what it is is NEVER a good idea. Even Fallout 4 showed that. With only 2 out of 5 DLC's being worthwhile at all.

So yeah, f*ck microtransactions. They kill games. It is essentially legalized gambling and it preys on kids that have no value of money in the real world. If you want to straight up buy something outright, fine. But anything that has an RNG applied should be f*cking banned. And with GTAV you may be able to buy what you want, but how you get it may require much more money, and it is still possible to lose it. Real money spent on in game money can still be lost. That should never happen.

Anyway I have become bored of typing and have trailed off but you get the jist.

If all mainstream games end up with microtransactions or subscriptions or some other bullsh*t I will be plenty fine just replaying Snes roms on an emulator until I am 90 years f*cking old.

• El Diablo, Mister Pink, B Dawg and 29 others like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:59 PM

also, "videogamers" as a group of people tend to have little backbone.

they talk about boycotting certain companies or certain developers. they get ripped off and vow NEVER AGAIN... yet the cash just keeps on rolling in. the games keep on selling. nobody is actually following through with their little revolts and so these executives have little reason to change their policies. for example everyone is so understandably upset with Take2's actions against the GTA modding community. so everyone raced over to their Steam review page and gave GTAV a bunch of negative reviews. AFTER the game has already sold billions of dollars. smooth move guys. way to hit em' where it hurts.

if that's the best strategy we've got, we're going to lose this battle.

We've already lost. The moment these schemes become commonplace and normalized, it's over. Which is happening right now.

What we'll see in the next few years, at very best, is the companies correcting and adjusting their models based on the pushback once the market gets overloaded and even your average consumer starts picking up on how dishonest and damaging these tricks are to the games themselves and their wallets. If things line up, microtransactions may be phased out by different means of making revenue (just like microtransactions in shooters are replacing paid map packs now). But wholesale, they are not going away. The Pandora's Box has been opened.

Did DLC go away? Did pre-order bonuses? Did Season Passes? No, no and no. They all became sort of more mitigated. Devs learned what DLCs sells and what not, what they can cut for pre-orders without people crying foul. Games like GTAO will continue to be microtransaction galore, because these systems work so successfully there and the games are built around them from the ground-up, but they'll likely disappear from singleplayer titles and become increasingly irrelevant in competetive ones as well as you can't force them on the player without completely breaking the game in the process. Which means that people will probably start spending less and less and that, in turn, will reduce the wórth of retaining these models in the game in the face of the negative image they create, forcing the execs to look for other ways to bleed us dry instead.

• RedDagger, ClaudeSpeed1911, sebcreed and 3 others like this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

GTA Online is definitely one of the examples where it makes the gameplay substantially worse (and I'm sure there's a lot more out there), but there's also a lot of them that do not ruin the gameplay as much as GTA Online, though as expected these are from smaller/indie studios.

Probably the biggest and best example of where microtransactions have kept a game alive for years without ruining gameplay is Path of Exile. It's not like they're not making profits, but they're not ruining their entire game by being greedy and maximizing them with more. This is (for me atleast) proof that it does come down to the developers and not just the consumers, because A LOT of people would instantly buy a ton of Path of Exile sh*t if they put features behind a paywall or made it pay-to-win.

I just wanted to throw a positive game/developer in the mix here. :p

• RedDagger, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud, DimitriFaustin and 1 other like this

jyssys
  • jyssys

I like passive mode

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

I think SCS Software, the guys who makes Euro/American Truck Simulator does it right. They have quite a bit of micro-transactions in the form of truck skins in the game, but they also have proper expansion packs that introduces a lot of content. And I'm pretty sure that while we pay for (most of) these expansion packs, the majority of the investment in developing these expansion packs actually comes from those truck skins.

Basically, we pay for "low" quality content (nevermind that many of the skins are pretty good) to support the developer to make high quality content in a way that probably couldn't have been done if they had to rely on the income from the high quality content itself.   

• lpgunit, BlackScout and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

sebcreed
  • sebcreed

Player Hater... Not!

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Best Event 2014 [Van Society Meets]

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

RedDagger, thanks for taking your time on writing this. You hit the nail right on the head with every point. I pretty much agree with every post on here too.

I don't post on here very often, but with your permission, I'd like to link this thread on my signature. More people should read this. :^:

And with GTAV you may be able to buy what you want, but how you get it may require much more money, and it is still possible to lose it. Real money spent on in game money can still be lost. That should never happen.

I can't wrap my head around this fact. You can, literally, spend $100 on in-game money and loose it all, in one way or another, and have nothing to show for it at the end. It doesn't make any sence to me at all. 

• Daz, Arrows to Athens, wosniies and 1 other like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

This sh*t will exist as long as there are stupid kids in the world and parents dumb enough to let them have access to their credit card. The only way to prevent this sort of thing is by simply not buying into it. Literally.

I never really experienced such a negative microtransaction experience before playing GTAV. I bought 1 or 2 outfits in Defiance. I had bought a couple of pointless Xbox Live avatar items and other meaningless sh*t in worthless DLC packs. But I really have never bought much from microtransactions. But up until before GTAV, it didn't bother me that much as generally most content were optional cosmetic items that once you bought you owned. You simply paid straight up money for an in game item. It was a purchase. It may be stupid to many people but it was still a purchase I wanted. But GTA on the other hand is a whole other world of sh*t.

Pretty much the same here. Apart from DLC packs and various sh*tty items for my avatar and whatnot, I think the first major game I started getting sucked in to microtransactions for was Fifa 16. They suckered me in with the deals they did on packs, but after spending somewhere around £50 and not getting anything decent from it, I gave it up as a bad job. EA had won. Thing is though, I knew what I was doing, and knew the chances were going to be sh*t because it's a business model, the consumer is always going to have the lower hand or the whole business model wouldn't be working. Up until GTAV though, microtransactions were never a major annoyance to me as it tended to be mainly exist in mobile gaming, something I've strayed away from because of the whole model..."Send 50 game invites or spend £10 to unlock this tree"...

GTAV is the first game that truly hit me how bad microtransactions had become, and from a company that I've pretty much trusted up to this point. GTA:IV was brilliant, the money you paid in to the game gave you 2 brand new SP games, 2 games that were actually worthy of every penny due to all the new content. But then came along GTAV, and the whole thing changed. Me and a mate grinded away for days to get through multiple heists and missions, and it felt like an achievement when we had done the final heist...until it came to wanting to spend that cash. The vehicles were well too overpriced, and in a matter of minutes could be blown up by some annoying little f*cktard, only for me to then have to spend more cash to get it back again. Bearing in mind I only own the 360 version of the game, there has been a f*ck-ton more content added to the game, and I've seen the prices of these items, and instantly knew it was just becoming a more pay-to-win game, rather than rewarding the casual gamer for their hard work.

I gave up with the whole Online game, let alone GTAV altogether...think the last bit of respect went when I saw that they had added car thefts as a DLC pack, requiring yet more cash for the insanely priced items...a game that had car thefts as a side mission as a staple of the series (it's called GRAND THEFT AUTO ffs) had suddenly only added it in as another microtransaction BS DLC add-on...

I admit, to this day I'll still put money into games for daft sh*t, but that's MY choice and I know I'm doing that. But I give up on games that are purposely made to exploit gamers who feel like the only way to feel some type of progression is to pay, what a sh*tty business model that is. DLC packs I'm happy with, I know what I'm getting and I get the full content for the stated price...

• Daz, Mister Pink, RedDagger and 6 others like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

I don't post on here very often, but with your permission, I'd like to link this thread on my signature. More people should read this. :^:

Thanks, go ahead - no need to ask permission :p
  • sebcreed likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

GTA Online is actually the Degenatron as heard in Vice City

"Degenatron GTA Online bringing arcade realism to your home!

It even takes quarters $100s and a strange sweaty man comes empty the machine on Fridays any time of the day or night!"

They've actually become parodies of themselves. 

• lpgunit, B Dawg, HaythamKenway and 8 others like this

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:54 PM Edited by lpgunit, 24 June 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Pay-to-win or what I term as the "Candy Crush model" is indeed insidious (considering how this paywalling thing makes supposedly free games a lot more expensive than their paid/retail counterparts), but now that you elaborated it, Rockstar's practise of allegedly free yet deceptively expensive content is not only insidious, but outright lowbrow.

It isn't surprising if this accounts for the ban on modding as it allowed access to DLC content, only to end up in a public relations disaster and eventual retraction.

Shame that only a number of studios still have their ethics with them and aren't just a bunch of money-minded goons. :/

GTA Online is actually the Degenatron as heard in Vice City

"Degenatron GTA Online bringing arcade realism to your home!

It even takes quarters $100s and a strange sweaty man comes empty the machine on Fridays any time of the day or night!"

They've actually become parodies of themselves.

Talk about pot calling the kettle black. :p
  • Mister Pink, Audi and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:22 PM Edited by luisniko, 24 June 2017 - 02:23 PM.

Anyone here played Gran Turismo 6?

That game was treated exactly the same as GTA online with all the cashcard, high price, new cars in every updates, except one thing: Fairness.

In GT6, they had a reward multiplier that you can build up to 5 times (I think the highest multiplier was 2.5x) simply by running the game everyday while connected to PSN. That's it.

The result? You'll be stacking lots of money while you are trying to get your ass in the 1st place.
  • Mister Pink, ClaudeSpeed1911, Pedinhuh and 2 others like this

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck you microtransactions

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:30 PM Edited by fashion, 24 June 2017 - 02:31 PM.

Shame that only a number of studios still have their ethics with them and aren't just a bunch of money-minded goons. :/

As if making the best selling game of all time wasn't enough for them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it took CoD's number one spot. I bought the game twice myself, ob old and next gen.

The upgrade was honestly worth it and there's quite a large difference. Still feeling a little bit ripped off as they could've announced it earlier then I'd end up buying the next gen version only. I certainly didn't expect them to pull of the shark card scam later on after giving them 140 euros. f*cking hell, I even bought another copy as a gift for my bro.

That's what you get for almost two decades of loyalty.
  • B Dawg likes this

thehambone
  • thehambone

Don't remind me of home Or I might notice where I am

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:25 AM Edited by thehambone, 25 June 2017 - 06:19 AM.

Well said. Very well said.

Something that stuck out to me after reading the OP is the fact that Rockstar released pretty much A FULL GAME (twice) for just $20 back in 2009. Now, $20 will buy you GTA$1,250,000, which isn't even enough to buy you a supercar in may cases.

• Daz, lpgunit, BlackScout and 3 others like this

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Well said. Very well said.

Something that stuck out to me after reading the OP is the fact that Rockstar released pretty much A FULL GAME (twice) for just $20 back in 2009. Now, $20 will buy you GTA$1,250,000, which isn't even enough to buy you a supercar in may cases.

That sure is a cynical way to gouge the living daylights out of players. Such a model is counter-productive since it actually encourages cheating for you to earn that supercar in question, or practically anything else for that matter.
  • CGFforLife likes this

wosniies
  • wosniies

Viking

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:02 AM Edited by wosniies, 25 June 2017 - 11:04 AM.

What really bothers me with GTAO, is how they, in a sneaky way, steal money from you. You lose ammo if the cops kill you, so if you hold your upgraded heavy sniper with explosive rounds and you lose a whole clip, you have to go back to your MOC to fill up ammo. And of course, you have to pay a lot. 
In Rockets vs Insurgents with forced and pickups ONLY, myself and some friends of mine have experienced to come back to freemode with ALL of the RPG, minigun, grenade launchers empty for ammo. And of course you have to buy that back. 

And the logic Rockstargames have with the CEO update, where you get REWARDED for destroying someone`s hard earned money. Its enough that an a**hole that gets a jet and blow up every single delivery plane or whatnot, they get rewarded money and ammo for it. But god forbid destroying someone`s PV up, because YOU pay for it and the owner can ANYTIME they want call it back and it will be delivered to at any time. Badsport should be for those who destroy crates, cars and gun deliveries.
Rockstar wants us to grief, ruin someone`s work and want people to buy shark cards so they can get some extra cash in their pocket. And it saddens me to see a game who have sold the most copies worldwide, and own, after almost four years, the most played game, have this kind of game logic. I could understand on PS3 where you had a very small choice of vehicles etc.

There is no way for new players to catch up on PS4/XB1. And now you cant empty a lobby anymore, so you are forced to deal with the d*ckheads who loves to ruin someone else`s work. 

Two thumbs up for the OP, I cant be more agree with thats written. And with good humor as well ;)

• Kevert, Niobium, sebcreed and 4 others like this

Dee.
  • Dee.

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

giphy.gif

Excellent post, Dagger. Took me a while to finish reading it but it was worth it. You seamlessly encapsulated the thoughts of most of us into one short essay.  :beerhat:

• lpgunit, zoso80, DimitriFaustin and 3 others like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:39 AM

RedDagger, you totally have my respect for the essay you fleshed out. I absolutely, whole-heartedly, agree with the entire thing.

As Mister Pink pointed out, Rockstar managed to do something that, back when they made II and the 3D GTAs, only a collect few would've imagining them doing.

I also agree with whoever it was that said they wanted to go back to the 1990s.

All I can say here is that capitalism's a dirty business, my friend.

• Mister Pink likes this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

spot on. 11/10! 11 because ffffff dat effort!

well we all know why sh*t like that fly with the gaming society, because f*ck YOU, you piece of sh*t, you keep buying that sh*t and finance these policies! yeah stupid us, eh? but really are we to blame?

it's the time we live in.....just take a look, at your glorious smartphone, it's already in your hands...look down, see? the president of the united snakes states of america just tweeted.  he thinks democracy blows and wants to grab your bitch by the PUSSY. lel, right? no seriously that's happening!

we, the GAMING people, ("they took our jooooooy") against the moneymaking machinery, the INDUSTRY? in times like these?

/touchè

• fashion likes this

Scott Stapp
  • Scott Stapp

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

They should have a flat fee for the DLC's. You don't get everything, but you get your choice of one of each of any one property (ie office AND a warehouse) which occupies a single slot that can be interchanged at any time. All the vehicles, weapons clothing, tattoos, hair, masks, etc are included.

What isn't included are any upgrades. None at all. That's how you get people to play the game. They get to unlock upgrades for things they actually paid for. But then Cackstar would have to actually produce content. They couldn't slowly releases crappy vehicles over the course of a month to try and extend sales of shart cards. They'd have to create more survivals, contact missions, and create engaging PvP modes and keep races fair. Instead they create gimmicky modes that will die in a week, and rehash a Vice City vehicle which should have been included with the friggin' game. 

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck you microtransactions

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:39 PM Edited by fashion, 26 June 2017 - 03:40 PM.

Exactly my thoughts. GTAO would have been worth it if they created reasonable priced DLC mission packs where the player has to earn the new vehicles and features by completing tough missions. You know, like in an actual GTA game. GTAO protagonst is definetly the dumbest protag in a GTA game ever. Spending a fortune on sh*t instead of earning it the smart way.

Lowriders are probably the worst of them all. To make a decent lowrider you need a million at least. The prices are completely ridiculous.
  • Niobium, thehambone, Audi and 1 other like this

Modojo
  • Modojo

DVA 1 Bad Guys 0

• Members
  • United-States
  • GTAF Snapmatic Logo Winner

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

Ever since the release of Heists DLC, it was obvious that there is a severe imbalance of microtransactions for every update being distributed. They should at least come up with a sort of compromise for players to somehow earn these expensive items instead of buying our way around it. Ex: Give us several challenges similar to the ones we complete in heists so that we can increase our payout for missions related to CEO activity. 

Most of their DLC nowadays are simply themed based and it does improve anything upon the core gameplay value. 

• Audi likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

I think SCS Software, the guys who makes Euro/American Truck Simulator does it right. They have quite a bit of micro-transactions in the form of truck skins in the game, but they also have proper expansion packs that introduces a lot of content. And I'm pretty sure that while we pay for (most of) these expansion packs, the majority of the investment in developing these expansion packs actually comes from those truck skins.

Basically, we pay for "low" quality content (nevermind that many of the skins are pretty good) to support the developer to make high quality content in a way that probably couldn't have been done if they had to rely on the income from the high quality content itself.   

I agree!

Yes, you have DLC but that adds a whole new stuff to the game just like Heavy Cargo, liftable axles, new maps... Also, if you don't want the country's skins, don't worry, SCS gives you all the tools you need so you can make your own skins and mods.

• jyssys likes this

thehambone
  • thehambone

Don't remind me of home Or I might notice where I am

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

Ever since the release of Heists DLC, it was obvious that there is a severe imbalance of microtransactions for every update being distributed.

I agree, that's around the time I stopped playing GTAO altogether.

gtafan26
  • gtafan26

Burnt Spy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:06 AM

Buckle up chucklef*cks,

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, on topic, I think you nailed it, well said.

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

The gist is that it follows the model of having in-game currency, and then microtransactions that give you more in-game currency. It's important to note here that GTAO, unlike other microtransaction-laden games, has only this; no boosts, no fast-tracks, no paywalls. This makes things simpler, plus things like fast-tracking mostly apply to this bit as well, so we can throw two stones at one bird. 

With the release of Gunrunning this is not even true anymore, the research mechanic officially introduced the Fast track into the game. As I am sure you are aware weapon and vehicle modifications are locked off behind a research mechanic. Your options are either to wait out the very long timer for each upgrade or pay 225,000 in the fast track to skip it for one upgrade. Thats what its even called, fast track.

So even if you spend millions buying your bunker, mobile command center with weapon/vehicle stations installed, and spent several more million buying the vehicles guess what? Take Two is not done trying to strip every penny out of your wallet just yet.

I don't accept the "they gotta pay the bills" as a valid excuse for a lot of the shady things they pulled. The biggest sin being they are severely overcharging with those micro-transactions as I am also sure you're well aware. Its been estimated to cost over four hundred dollars in shark cards to get the good stuff in Gunrunning alone. I don't know about you but I believe no content, no matter how good the update, is worth nowhere near that much. Thanks to this system your options are either a grind over the span of several months or spending hundreds on the shark cards. This is not someone just looking to pay the bills, this is someone looking to exploit its consumer base for all its worth.

As Strauss Zelnick himself made it clear in that one statement he made awhile back, to him, we are all just a bunch of wood needing to be chopped.

• Kiyone_Alien_Cop, RedDagger, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 5 others like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:00 AM

Wait is that a genuine line of thought? do people really think Take Two, owners of R* and a bunch of other profitable IPs are actually starved for money?

GTA V alone as a game has made enough money to run a small country.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Niobium, Pedinhuh and 3 others like this

Audi
  • Audi

Don't Pray For Me, Homie Pray For The Weak

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Slovenia
  • Best Turbo Quattro 2017

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

Surprisingly yes, that is a one excuse used to defend the microtransactions in GTAO. It's not as common as the others though.

• Kiyone_Alien_Cop, ClaudeSpeed1911, Niobium and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:17 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 02 July 2017 - 11:24 AM.

I can't even stand Online there's just too many things over all the DLC's I could never afford unless I grinded like a North Korean forced laborer on a Polish construction site. Micros-transactions created a two-tier GTA gamer. The haves and the have-nots. It's unfortunate because Online has some interesting games. I just can't stand knowing that even if I turn up to a car meet that cars that people owned may not have been acquired by playing missions and completing objectives but by spending real money.

Does anyone agree that they would prefer an Online where items can only be bought by with cash earned in game? Unique items could exist by people willing to go extraordinary lengths or by doing super-hard challenges. That way you could earns some "stripes" and sort of show off to people that you're a good player or at least dedicated player.

Never mind the horribleness of money and such commercialism seeping in to the thing you are supposed to be playing for fun and escapism. I play games to forget about money issues. I don't need to be reminded of ways to lose my real money, thank you. Quite frankly it's disgusting and it pisses me off.

Make paid DLC again!  I don't mind paying for quality DLC and will continue to do so if there's enough content. If it also means leveling the Online playing field, I'll be happy.

If RDR2 has the same model, I just wont play it. Simple as. If I can avoid buying the game new, I will. I'd much rather support companies that don't treat their consumers like mindless numbers with wallets.

• thehambone and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

MatthewH
  • MatthewH

Dewbauchee CEO

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:39 PM Edited by MatthewH, 02 July 2017 - 03:40 PM.

Very well written RedDagger. I enjoyed reading that and agree with pretty much every point.

To buy the shiny new toys you need lots of in game money which for long term players generally isn't much of a problem.

If your new to the game or just don't play much your options are far more limited. You can either grind to earn cash in forced public lobbies with a massive target painted on your back plus the game notifying every other player to try and destroy your hard work. Or you can buy a shark card for x amount of real money which gives you a frankly pathetic amount of in game currency that is barely enough to buy a couple of new high end cars. 

In the early days of GTAO shark cards were still expensive but $100 for $8m GTA you could get a reasonable amount of content because the prices weren't

beyond ridiculous. Now though $100 for $8m GTA is frankly an insult. 

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

Very well written RedDagger. I enjoyed reading that and agree with pretty much every point.

To buy the shiny new toys you need lots of in game money which for long term players generally isn't much of a problem.

If your new to the game or just don't play much your options are far more limited. You can either grind to earn cash in forced public lobbies with a massive target painted on your back plus the game notifying every other player to try and destroy your hard work. Or you can buy a shark card for x amount of real money which gives you a frankly pathetic amount of in game currency that is barely enough to buy a couple of new high end cars. 

In the early days of GTAO shark cards were still expensive but $100 for $8m GTA you could get a reasonable amount of content because the prices weren't

beyond ridiculous. Now though $100 for $8m GTA is frankly an insult. 

Except for those who found tricks to get their own solo sessions like me. They recently patched the playlist method on Xbox one so a lot were not happy about it but I use an ethernet cord to get my own solo sessions. Most are not even aware of this trick and just discovered it myself through a brief stroke of genius. I try to tell who I can so their money flow is not interrupted. I believe its impossible to patch my method cause its something I do in the real world, and not some exploit in-game. They basically would have to send someone to break into my home and slap the ethernet cord out of my hand to stop it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users