Can we get a 'Comics' section?

14 replies to this topic
Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:08 PM Edited by Homemade Dynamite, A week ago.

It'd be pretty nice to have a dedicated place to discuss comic books. Things like recent comics, recommendations, and general discussion of Marvel/DC/etc. would be neat. I'm sure a lot of people here like comics, or would like to get into them. Does anyone agree?

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hmmm. I don't read comics myself, but now it's been brought up It makes sense as we have sections for music, movies, tv, gaming etc. I'd be down.:)

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I've thought before about whether we should have some kind of Writing/Books/Comics/Literature subforum under Off-Topic, but then we have the Expression Forums with writing themed stuff already so not sure how it'd work out or if we'd need to reorganise all the sections completely.

Comics on its own would be a bit pointless as I can't see that there's already many topics about them, so it'd have to include general books too. Anyone else got any feedback on this? 

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:41 PM Edited by Homemade Dynamite, 20 June 2017 - 12:42 PM.

Yeah, that could work. A section dedicated to books and comics would be nice to have.

Similar to 'Movies & TV', the section could be called 'Literature & Comics'.

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

I'd be all for another section dedicated to books of all kinds, including comics. There seems to be a gap for that sort of thing.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:39 PM Edited by Achlys, 20 June 2017 - 01:39 PM.

We have a thread for books, and one for comics.
  • AlienTwo likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

We do, but I feel like it would open up more of a discussion than if we just left it to one topic. There's a lot that could go on, just like there is in the music section. It would be like if we didn't have a section dedicated to music and just expected everything to be talked about in one topic.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

The idea of a books/comics/literature section has been brought up many times before:

http://gtaforums.com...terature-forum/

http://gtaforums.com...new-forum-idea/

http://gtaforums.com...scussion-forum/

http://gtaforums.com...ture-sub-forum/

http://gtaforums.com...316-books-talk/

http://gtaforums.com...omics-sections/

http://gtaforums.com...rature-section/

The recurring theme seems to be one of concern over inactivity. Music is always going to be a more varied platform for topics of discussion due to the myriad genres and tastes that folks like to chat about.

At the end of the day, books are books and comics are comics but it would be good to see discussion of authors, genres and styles of published literature.

Would it be possible to expand "Writers Discussion" to include all types of literature: published and unpublished.... in other words "Literature Discussion"?

• Kirsty likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

Would it be possible to expand "Writers Discussion" to include all types of literature: published and unpublished.... in other words "Literature Discussion"?

Yeah this is something else I've chewed on before which might better than a whole new subforum considering there might not be any activity with it (changing Writers' Discussion to "Writing and Literature" or something of the sorts and moving it to Off-Topic) but some felt it might deter people from submitting their own writings if the section got taken over by lots of topics about X book or X series. I think it'd improve the activity personally, perhaps we could start with this to see if a dedicated subforum is even needed, but moving it might disjoint the whole Expression area.

I've wondered before about moving all of Expression to Off-Topic by merging GFX Requests into Visual Arts to streamline everything but sometimes it's a case of "if it ain't broke...".
  • ~Tiger~ likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

Arts and GFX requests work really well as separate subforums as they serve fundamentally different purposes. The GFX section is a Help and Support section whereas the Arts section is a showcase for members own work as well as an arena for General Arts topics. Both exist side by side and could be a suggested format for the future of a Literature Forum.

It would be good to hear Mokrie's opinion of course....

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Sorry, I meant put GFX Requests as a subforum of Visual Arts, not merge all the topics into one. If we went ahead with the idea of putting Expression forums into Off-Topic that is. As it stands now they're fine separated.

The thing is, there's barely any activity for there not to be a good reason to move those novel and book topics over and try it out.
  • ~Tiger~ likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:28 PM

It'd be nice to see, I'd be all for an expansion on that particular section. It'd be an ideal place for users to post reviews, recommendations and hold general discussion for books/comics. If that was to happen though, I don't think it would be a good idea merging the topics from WD into one big subforum shared by book/comic discussion. It's a quiet place, sure, but I think enough separates them to justify separate sections.

Unless fiction was to be tagged as such?

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Sorry to bring this up, but I see that most people here agree that a section where people talk about written fiction would be good, but we never advanced beyond ideas and we kind of just stopped posting. I think a section to talk about it would be nice, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to talk comics in a place where people like me get together. Since there's already a lot of geeks on this forum that likely enjoy them, it only seems natural to have its own place. I guess General Chat could serve that purpose, but it's just that, general. That, and I'm worried that trolls will harp on comic fans if discussed there.

So, considering we have section for just about everything else, are we yay or nay to a Literature & Comics section?

Sandpanther
  • Sandpanther

For I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 6 days ago

I'd vote yay. Got over 20,000 comics, so I could talk about them all day.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 4 days ago

Lets just give it a shot?

If it generates some discussion, great. If it's dead going into the new year, we'll get rid of it and rename Writers' Discussion to allow more book talk.

http://gtaforums.com...1-books-comics/

• RedDagger, Android and Uncle Sikee Atric like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users