10 years ago - GTAIV related memories

24 replies to this topic
Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

It might be a little early 4 this but f*ck it. This topic is intended for GTAIV related memories, especially weird ones, not in-game events. It  might be 2 early but it's  6 - 8 months or so before 10th anniversary and this time goes past without noticing.

I remember seeing a video on Youtube of a guy burning the GTAIV disc in his microwave. For some reason he was really pissed @ the game.

Then I got rickrolled a few weeks ame officiallly came out. The guy got me (and thousands of others) good. He presented official looking disc, slid it in his xbox - next thing you saw was "never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.." Early delivery my ass!

Damn, and then I remember those early pirated gameplay streams and people getting arrested for it.

• hei3enberg, Payne Killer, TheOriginalGunslinger and 1 other like this

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

I bought it a few days after it released and I remember how hyped I was.

Then I came home with the game.

My PC couldn't run it.

Then I spent the next few years inside the local arcade playing LAN with my friends. Good times.

• Ivan1997GTA and TheOriginalGunslinger like this

TakeshiSantos
  • TakeshiSantos

O Partner, Where Art Thou?

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

In 2009, I was getting an X360 after so many years with a PlayStation 2. My first game? Grand Theft Auto IV.

Simply amazing. The enhanced graphics, the characters, the details, gameplay, everything.

• Wu-Tang Forever, Will Lorenzo Cooper, Pavle and 2 others like this

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

I purchased the game on the weekend after the game was released. I still remember popping that disc in, and a few moments later "Daddy's back you bitches".  The smirk on my face, I knew this was a R* game.

• TheOriginalGunslinger and MrBellicLC like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

A long time ago I never knew myself.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

I bought it on 360 around 2011 lmao. Bought EFLC around 2014 still my favorite games of the series, I never felt dissapointed with these games and I feel they still deliver very well.
  • The Happy Clown, Ivan1997GTA, Mr_Rager and 1 other like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Home, like no place is there

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

I remember the preorder bonus stuff like the duffel bag, keychain, soundtrack, art/development book, IV was a game I put a lot of hope on, had high expectations and man was I blown away with what I got. Even better, a good portion of the internet and people I knew didn't like the game, so for awhile it felt like I got something that others didn't in a way lol. As we entered the new decade people started to appreciate it.

I'd say IV and RDR are the last two games that I had a sort of childish, giddy feeling when playing them for the first time.
  • Zello and TheOriginalGunslinger like this

Nico
  • Nico

We were all equal in the end.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

I got a cracked version of the game shortly after the release, in early 2009. My PC could barely run it, and me and my brother were constantly begging mom to upgrade our PC. Around mid 2009 we could finally play the game with a decent framerate, it wasn't spectacular but it was good enough for us. And then, the usual: shootouts in the hospital, swingset glitch, trying to surpass the roadblocks on the bridges, etc. We purchased the game legitimately in 2010, along with EFLC.

Man, I miss those days.
  • TheOriginalGunslinger likes this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Thug

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

In 2009, I was getting an X360 after so many years with a PlayStation 2. My first game? Grand Theft Auto IV.

Simply amazing. The enhanced graphics, the characters, the details, gameplay, everything.

This post is crazy! I was almost the exact same way. Played on the PS2 for years until I finally bought an Xbox 360 but in 2008. The last Rockstar title I played on the PS2 was GTA Vice City Stories from 2006 til about 2007 and then I decided to go with the Xbox 360 and my first purchase wasn't a "typical" Halo or Gears of War game (around that time those two were huge on the Xbox 360) but my first purchase was GTA IV.
  • TakeshiSantos likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:03 AM Edited by Zello, 20 June 2017 - 01:03 AM.

I picked it up at Best buy in December 2010 after a long two years of plotting to get the game I was underage at the time. I managed to get my uncle to buy it for me.

I tried to hide my smile as I left the store

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:03 AM

My experiences with this game from 2008-11 were Ben Buja's 'Bloopers, Glitches & Silly Stuff' series.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:03 AM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 20 June 2017 - 01:04 AM.

Seeing the graphics and driving physics for the first time.... that was... unforgettable.

• Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:24 AM

First I walked out of the Hove Beach safehouse and walked around to stare at the Algonquin skyline... :inlove:

• Wu-Tang Forever, ROCKSTAR MANIC, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Since I'm not popular, I'll post on a video game forum

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

I was late to the party, but bought it on March 24th, 2009 (the day Quantum of Solace came out on home video, which is how I'm able to bring up the specific date... I can just look up when QoS was released on DVD). I went to McDonalds while I was out and ate in, and remember eating my burger and fries while looking through the manual and getting more and more excited to play it. So I finally get home and start playing, and... wow. The graphics, physics and atmosphere just blew me away. It just felt so real - I'd been playing a lot of Saints Row 2 at the time, and I remember thinking "Jeez, this makes SR2 feel like playing with Lego". And yeah, I'd come to agree with some of the criticism about it being too repetitive (I don't agree anymore, mind you), but even if the game wouldn't really CLICK until my third playthrough (to the point where I have very little criticisms regarding the game and have embraced it wholeheartedly), I had a lot of fun on my first. 

I specifically remember being surprised by the humor in the game; I'd heard so much about GTA IV being grey and depressing and 100% stone-faced and serious that I was pleasantly surprised to find it the funniest of the series (I still do!). And I found the story to be very involving, and instantly loved Niko. He's always been my favorite GTA protagonist.

As for weird memories... hmm. While I was doing the sniping portion of "Deconstruction for Beginners", I was enjoying a nice cold Snickers I'd put in the fridge, so I'll always associate that segment with Snickers bars :p And due to me getting McDonalds after getting the game and reading through the manual during my meal, I'll always associate the whole game with Mickey Ds. Which is appropriate I guess, seeing as how it has the biggest emphasis on fast food in the series. Oh, and for some reason, I thought Vlad was gonna be the main antagonist hounding you through the whole game, like a Tenpenny or Sonny. So when Niko shot him in the eye and caused an Old Faithful of blood to come geysering out, I was... pretty surprised :p And no, I didn't even suspect Dimitri. In fact, I actually remember reading one magazine article with a screenshot of Niko and Dimitri sitting on the bench, and the caption horribly mistook Dimitri for Roman! So before playing the game, I assumed Roman was gonna be this skinny well-dressed nerdy guy, and was kind of surprised when this tubby guy in a gaudy-ass shirt showed up, haha.

• Algonquin Assassin and Margaret- like this

Kipsta
  • Kipsta

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:23 PM Edited by Kipsta, 20 June 2017 - 12:23 PM.

GTA 4 was probably my most hyped game of ever. It was early in the new generation and knowing that IV was coming I was going crazy imagining the graphics in the vast open world and everything. I watched the trailers over and over again. And when the day finally came and I got it, that sweet, sweet day in April of 2008, man, I was awe-struck, the driving, physics, graphics, everything really.. IV will always have a special place in my heart, and in my eyes, it's a masterpiece.

• Algonquin Assassin, Wu-Tang Forever, Journey_95 and 1 other like this

Margaret-
  • Margaret-

Fidget Killer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

I remember seeing this ad on TV all the time and I was damn near salivating at it for weeks until my pre-order finally came in the post. The walk from the Hove Beach safehouse to Roman's cab depot still amazes me with the dawn colours. the views of Algonquin in the background and all the (mostly) unique peds just going about their daily routine. The graphics are holding up pretty damn well IMO as is the rest of the game.

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:44 AM Edited by JuniorChubb, 22 June 2017 - 11:44 AM.

I remember being disappointed by so many things compared to San Andreas and never actually finishing the game.

However being able to play online was awesome, I remember using traffic lights to start street races, trying to land motorbikes on moving lorry's and an online PvE mission I don't think I ever completed.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Still remember that R* TV thing they started on the social club. I remember going in there and watching the videos. Role-play before it became a thing in the GTA universe apart from SA-MP.  Getting "pulled over" for speeding, doing fight clubs with bare fists, discovering the Tuned import for the first time.

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

Van Society Member and Lucid Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Got it on May 20th 2009, my birthday, along with my X360... I was f*cking amazed, the graphics, the physics, it was just f*ckING AMAZING. I remember stealing a car, and the owner of the car trying ot get it back, so when he tried to open the car door I just tried to get away and there he was, hung up the door, I was really amazed.

• JuniorChubb and TheOriginalGunslinger like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

I still remember buying this on release day, i was living in Canada then, i was blown away by the graphics and i didnt want to do the first mission i just wanted to get out of the car and walk around.

Playing it online was great back then, it was actually fun, i remember finding the swingset glitch, that still makes me laugh to this day, i dont know how many times i got killed trying to climb on the swingset, or got catapulted into the sea.

I remember laughing at the peds, the homeless guy when i had the rocket launcher for the first time " Thats one big pipe cleaner"

The police " Oh yeah now youve done it, im that bad ass N your mum warned you about" " Helllooo where do you think your going ? dont you run now"

Throwing sticky bombs into middle park lake, watching the peds run.

It doesnt look dated even now, i dont think i will ever put it away for good and stop playing, but then i have all my GTA's loaded on my machine for that day i just want a quick play.

I will end with this quote " What ? Its only a gun "

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Thug

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

Speaking of the infamous swing set glitch, is it really possible to actually land into Algonquin? Has anyone ever landed there that far?

CJPNE
  • CJPNE

Special T-shirt enthusiast

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

I don't remember where I bought it but I had it at release. One thing that sticks out is watching a youtube video of someone who got it a few days early, he was driving around the streets near Nikos first safe house. I specifically remember him saying how hard it was to play the game and record at the same time.

TWIST_OF_HATE
  • TWIST_OF_HATE

Thug

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:18 PM Edited by TWIST_OF_HATE, 24 June 2017 - 08:18 PM.

Well, IV was lagging on my PC in 2008, same thing in 2017 ))

But game is awesome anyway ))

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

A long time ago I never knew myself.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:39 PM Edited by Payne Killer, 24 June 2017 - 08:40 PM.

image.jpg
Of all the things that blew me away my first time playing this game, these physics are at the top of that list. Probably the best we still have of the series.
  • hei3enberg, JuniorChubb, Mr_Rager and 1 other like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

Lagging and glitching are all part of GTAIV but you live with the issues and see past it and realise its a great game

• (Ambient) likes this

Domand
  • Domand

Its Wanting That gets So Many Folks In Trouble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:58 AM

I played it first time in 2010 when a friend gave me the game. I had seen him play it, but I never heard of it before. Then when I played it for the first time I was amazed by the graphics and that first experience of the game made me love it. I enjoyed the cutscenes, characters, humor, and took my nice time taking it all in as I played through the game. Too bad I don't get that nostalgic feel when seeing it for the first time but the game is still fantastic. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users