GTA Mods Spotlight
268 replies to this topic
Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:10 AM

Rockstar are in contact with OpenIV developer to "resolve the issue" of its takedown

This is confirmed as legit as Rockstar retweeted the article on their official Twitter account

https://motherboard....v-modders-alone

I will hold my breath here, but if we get a reversal of the inititial decision this won't just be a victory for GTA modding. It will be a victory for common sense. Everyone involved can take something from that. Don't trivialise that for a moment.
  • Nem_Wan and Raxp like this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:46 AM

Seems like map modding will be restricted, so no third party custom map (ex: Skyrim map) and you can't port Rockstar's map asset into GTA V.

This f*cking sucks man.
  • Sunrise Driver likes this

zanesix
  • zanesix

Stupid Malaka

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:03 AM

Eh. If the ransom is OpenIV, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

• Rachel Amber likes this

LaBombaRomba
  • LaBombaRomba

Straya. "Fear denies faith", ⌐■_■

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:19 AM

I'm just glad everyone in the modding community can (for the most part, anyway) get back to what they love most - for the time being!

Some Toast
  • Some Toast

Call me bread one more time...

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

As of 6/23/[email protected]:26 AM PST Rockstar has confirmed that they are reversing Take Two's decision and are allowing singleplayer mods to continue through OpenIV. Motherboard tweet retweeted by Rockstar Games:  https://twitter.com/...318442826289152      MotherBoard article:  https://t.co/ueSs705o46

We did it!!

• Hullian111 likes this

Urban Legends
  • Urban Legends

Innocent Hood

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:58 AM

No one posted that Quarterback from the Washington Redskins? Huh

Maksim45
  • Maksim45

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:55 AM Edited by Maksim45, 24 June 2017 - 07:14 AM.

WIN  :lol:  :santa:  :colgate:  :happy:  :pp

2uF6J.png

• Rachel Amber likes this

Great Britain
  • Great Britain

★ ✯ ♔ ✯ ★

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:25 AM Edited by Great Britain, 24 June 2017 - 09:11 AM.

..."don't f*ck with my family...or I will f*ck with yours..." -Gerry

If they try to limit our rights again, we'll get them on their knees again just like the community did now. The power of a consumer is a wonderful thing indeed. If they plan to "avenge" this "humiliation" in the future by any means, then they better be ready for the consequences.

P.S - If this doesn't showcase the awesomeness of modding, then I don't know what does lol

https://www.gta5-mod...sive-billboards

Bishie
  • Bishie

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:14 AM Edited by Bishie, 24 June 2017 - 09:15 AM.

If they try to limit our rights again, we'll get them on their knees again just like the community did now. The power of a consumer is a wonderful thing indeed. If they plan to "avenge" this "humiliation" in the future by any means, then they better be ready for the consequences.

Oh give over! They didn't bend to the will of the community, just look at their statement, or did you gloss over it?

This is not a license, and it does not constitute endorsement, approval, or authorization of any third-party project. Take-Two reserves the right to object to any third-party project, or to revise, revoke and/or withdraw this statement at any time in their own discretion. This statement does not constitute a waiver of any rights that Take-Two may have with respect to third-party projects.

The community has zero rights as far as Take-Two is concerned. They could pull the plug tomorrow and the community wouldn't have a leg to stand on! I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but you are in the minority. The modding community is a drop in the ocean compared to their target demographic.

• Unruly and Biter like this

Great Britain
  • Great Britain

★ ✯ ♔ ✯ ★

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Oh give over! They didn't bend to the will of the community, just look at their statement, or did you gloss over it?

This is not a license, and it does not constitute endorsement, approval, or authorization of any third-party project. Take-Two reserves the right to object to any third-party project, or to revise, revoke and/or withdraw this statement at any time in their own discretion. This statement does not constitute a waiver of any rights that Take-Two may have with respect to third-party projects.

The community has zero rights as far as Take-Two is concerned. They could pull the plug tomorrow and the community wouldn't have a leg to stand on! I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but you are in the minority. The modding community is a drop in the ocean compared to their target demographic.

Reversing the decision and bringing back OpenIV speaks volumes about how much they are concerned with their consumers bashing them and their products. They thought they are invincible but guess what, that's not quite the case anymore. Had it not been for us, they would not have bothered to take second look at this situation with the notion that we will keep sucking them off no matter what they do. They obviously had to draft their so called statement in a way that saved them some amount of respect while trying to convince us that even though they can still f*ck with us, but for now we have what we wanted. An obvious move by an otherwise obviously arrogant company. If what just happened still makes you think that our voices don't matter then you are a hopeless case. Keep on being scared of "what they might do tomorrow" because you may be in constant fear of not being able to abandon this series as a whole but me and a whole lot of others have no problem in doing so if that is what it comes down to. This is what kept us motivated and this so called "small drop in the ocean" modding community is what they kept in mind when they decided to reverse their decision. Don't be a pessimist and don't under-estimate the modding community. You'll be better off that way. 

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Oh and I think everyone got some reviews to leave on Steam... :p

I'll get around to that... well, hey, no rush eh? :p

Not sure why so many people are complaining about wanting R* to show "more" support. I definitely don't want them to turn into f*cking Bethesda governing the mods and trying to turn it into an extra way for them to gain some money or act like saints for doing nothing.

I'd rather they'd stay R* and keep "supporting" in the same way they have for the entire life of the GTA series - just leaving modders the hell alone unless they want to spotlight a certain thing. We mean no harm.

I get that they're still going to have to enforce against modding for Online, but that's fair enough. Simply letting the SP game be free to modify again is a rather big victory, especially considering all those people who were saying it wouldn't happen because TakeTwo/R* care more about profits than criticism. R* are trying to keep up the image they've built over decades as nice guys so hopefully we've reminded them that hostile stances against modding won't bode too well.
  • Great Britain likes this

JON22
  • JON22

FECK U ALL >:(

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

.......I want to be able to eat that hotdog from the first page in-game instead of f*cking sweets to refill my character's health up.

I'll go now.

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Rockstar selling our mods to the console players if that would mean letting us mod in peace.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

https://support.rock...es/115009494848

"After discussions with Take-Two" LOL, looks like Rockstar is fighting Take-Two this time xD

That is kinda serious. Can you imagine R* actually had fights ith T2? R* knows GTA is the most biggest franchise ever and a lot of people

wants to play the game with SP mods to enhance gameplay, physics and install their favorite carmods. All these do NOT harm any other player.

R* knows it all so the only way might be to fight T2.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:22 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 24 June 2017 - 12:37 PM.

I think it's difficult to say how much of it is Take2 and how much of it is R*

It makes sense from a PR perspective to protect R*s image as that's the brand people buy into. So anything good that they do out if this would be wisely attributed to R* and anything bad shouldered by Take2.

In reality the initial decision to have a C&D order put on Open IV will have been made by one person, and I suspect not without some internal disagreement. The fact is not everyone in a business agrees with all of its decisions all of the time.

It's rare however for companies to make a U turn like this, even when they acknowledge privately and internally they got it wrong - normally they sit these things out and hope they blow over.

I know there's been some talk about "we are the many" but actually I'd politely disagree with that. 75k signatures of course does not sound like a small number, but relative to the size of the console player base who have never been near Open IV, it is. There is no doubt in my mind in the short term Take2 and R* could have sat this out and their profitability survived.

However, I'd argue that in the long term, Open IV users are the few - the few that really matter. It is they who produce the new and exciting content that is effectively free advertising and has built the franchise to what it is. If you take that away, then it risks slowly dwindling and declining. Perhaps that's the argument that's ultimately won through.

• Sunrise Driver and DieselFuelOnly like this

DavidBeavis
  • DavidBeavis

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

LOL

jojo337
  • jojo337

Dingo !

• Members
  • France

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

I'm afraid that they said to T2 : "Anyway, our next GTA will be fully online, so no worries about mods for GTA V and others RAGE games, because it will not last a long time, and it will not be possible to mod our next game, so let's them for this time..."

Anyway it's a good move from R* and T2. I hope the next GTA will get a single player mode... and if so separated from the online.

JRC99
  • JRC99

Needs an truck

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

We won! We did it! 

KratosDrake
  • KratosDrake

Snazzy and shiny that's how I roll

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

There. Everybody happy now? Can we end this?

Also, to the one above me: tf, why ever would GTA be a online-only game? Sure, they don't give a royal damn about SP, but they won't give it up either.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016
    Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

There. Everybody happy now? Can we end this?

Also, to the one above me: tf, why ever would GTA be a online-only game? Sure, they don't give a royal damn about SP, but they won't give it up either.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it.

A naive part of me still believes they can deliver a SP narrative like GTA iv, with the scope and fun of SA, the style of VC or IV, and the technical evolvement of V, WITH the online mode. Certainly with their billions of earnings there's little excuse not to.

But do I think they will? No. I don't think red dead will be as much a saga as the last. That's just my two cents.

I'm happy that this issue was resolved, even if it's in an unofficial sense, in a way. Gaming has become too market driven, too consumeristic for my liking, it doesn't feel like there's that many games that are not just catering to the masses.

Score one for the modders!
  • lpgunit, Mega, Shaundi. and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Fair play to Rockstar for taking the criticism on board and doing something about it. I'm happy for the modders. 

Great call to get this fixed Rockstar.  :^:

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Xenon Brothers)

• Feroci
  • Mars
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:42 AM Edited by X-Seti, 25 June 2017 - 01:15 PM.

I've been sitting on the sidelines observing before adding my comments to this. I am impressed with a lot of the comments I've read here and some well written posts from our Admin Kirsty that clearly shows our passion for modding.

I would never want anything to happen to the modding community as this is a passtime I've done for many years even before GTA.net came into existence. I had posted my own thoughts on C&A's but I am not going to post links here. this is easy to find for yourselves and there is something we can all learn from the past events and maybe have a rethink on what is good, acceptable, common sense modding.

Nice move from Rockstar BTW. Big congratulations from all of us.

• Flucado, Kirsty, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and 1 other like this

livejoker
  • livejoker

October 1st

• Van Society
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:42 PM Edited by livejoker, 26 June 2017 - 10:52 PM.

wait wait wait, it's back?! Did we do something awesome?? I NEED TO READ BACK THE PAGES.

holy sh*t.

After reading up, we did it! Woah. I'll refer to my first post on the first page about R* using T2 as the messenger. What if they saw how big of a backlash it was? Why are T2 going after mods without discussing with R* on which mods to take down? Why is R* posing as the f*cking hero in all this? OpenIV may be back but R*, for me, is not. It seems fishy.

• Noclue_42, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and CRAZY AL WARD like this

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

Hello everyone! My name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

For once though R* sided with the GTA community against T2.. That's a shocker!

• CRAZY AL WARD likes this

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Greats news. :panic:
Thumbs up to everyone who supported the cause and a respectful salute to :r*: .

Victory to the people..
  • Sunrise Driver, Stryfaar, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and 1 other like this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Has there been any word from GooD-NTS yet since R* reportedly changed their stance?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

From the TTWO vs Modding thread:

It's just a combination of real life work, wanting to rest and general de-motivation (since the team were really hoping to push LCiV but that has had to cease no matter what), GooD-NTS is also being asked a lot on his personal Twitter instead of the @OpenIV account, so it's just a lot of attention to deal with and the other things stacking. A statement will come when he feels he can do it justice.

He'll respond soon.

• Jimbatron likes this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:08 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 27 June 2017 - 10:14 PM.

^ Yeah I can understand the de-motivation bit. Firstly it's not exactly nice to have lawyers sent after you, even if the company rescinds their decision, and also there's all the effort sunk in the LC for V mod. I could see why the dev team might consider jacking it in for good, despite the victory of overturning the intial C&D - although obviously I hope they don't.

I can't remember such a ridiculous month for GTA with the Open IV debacle, and now a faulty ban wave with legit players getting whacked (although fortunately now appear re-instated). It's about time deepthroatgta4 turned up with a cryptic message about VI given how surreal everythings been going.

• Spider-Vice and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:21 PM Edited by D T, 05 July 2017 - 03:21 AM.

sweet, rockstar hired GooD.

Well if you must know, he's in between moving house, so statement stuff has been put off for a week.

edit: ah, just a coincidence.

In order to qualify all of the questions we had received during past weeks, we make some explanations:
Unfortunately, we were unable to answer those questions earlier due to real life (yeah we have some).

The community
First of all, we want to say "Thank you" to everyone who supported us in this tough situation. We’re very grateful for your support; for demonstration of the fact, that modding community is still a minority, but very vocal, creative and determined minority. You made the impossible and this story is already scribed into the history of PC gaming and the Internet itself.
Yes, this is your victory! Congratulations and many thanks once again!

OpenIV and modding
The development of OpenIV will be continued as before. OpenIV never supported GTA Online modding and will not support it in the future. Our work will be continued within the Rockstar modding policy.

Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto V
Unfortunately, our highly anticipated mod “Liberty City in GTA V” will not be released because it clearly contradicts with Rockstar modding policy. Liberty City mod is a big loss for us, since it was a huge part of our motivation to push OpenIV functionality.

If you are wondering what is next, well, we are currently revising our plans for the future.

Sincerely,
OpenIV Team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users