Take Two vs. Modding

4,594 replies to this topic
OutragedMetro
  • OutragedMetro

OutragedModding

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:51 AM

That's it, I'm not play any more GTA V (or any other Rockstar game) until they go back on this.

Uninstalled all my GTA games as well.

I hear you on this its ridiculous how they could of done this. Long live the modding community!

• DarkSavageDeathlyCloud likes this

Starkka15
  • Starkka15

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:54 AM Edited by Starkka15, 16 June 2017 - 03:55 AM.

Modding will continue... and I doubt OpenIV will actually need updates for the life of GTA V.. They may encrypt future dlc's but who needs them for Single Player anyways... I'm going to continue using OpenIV, and let Take Two do what they want, even if I have to keep rolling back to 1.0.1103 of the game... (XD I just looked it up...)

• The Lundy, DidSomebodySayYouga, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:54 AM

The people upset with Rockstar are not "kiddies" (not sure what you imply with this), they are paying customers who are upset with their business practices. I've said my piece on this and dont plan to argue this much longer, suffice to say that anyone still defending this action and thinks its just poor poor Rockstar being victimized by Take 2 has some serious nostalgia blinders on.

I dont take pride in being correct when I say Rockstar has become a shady, greedy company. In fact it deeply saddens me. But I also do not fear the truth.

When it comes to GTA V, you and I don't agree on...well, much of anything, really. But this I completely agree with you about.

As I posted in another thread about this, I will quote it here:

On a more serious note, Rockstar has really taken their douchebaggery to a higher level. I almost (and I mean almost, as in barely) understood them deciding against SP DLC. I mean, all the Freemium/IAP money they can make on shark cards means that getting people tired of SP as soon as possible, seems to be a viable strategy to entice more and more players online, where they might be tempted to buy the Idiot-Bucks.

If I had to guess, and this really is just a guess, making mods illegal is yet another dirty trick, modeled after typical freemium thuggery, to manipulate people into growing  tired of SP as well.

I mean, think about it for a sec. Modding adds an absolute ton of fun and many, many hours of SP entertainment. These people (people like me and many others who love V's mods) are proportionally less likely to go online, and thus also less likely to spend money on shark cards. So pulling the plug on modding, is an intentional move to siphon fun from SP to manipulate us into going online.

Well, to be honest, I have absolutely no proof of this. It is all supposition on my part. Suffice it to say, I have lost a great deal of respect for Rockstar. I mean, when is the money enough? Not that companies shouldn't try to make as much as possible. But using typical freemium thuggery and disreputable tactics to do it is a new low for Rockstar.

Note: I probably misspoke in that post, citing Rockstar, as this is probably a Take2 decision, not a dev decision.

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:01 AM Edited by Yinepi, 16 June 2017 - 04:18 AM.

The end of GTA is imminent. This is what the online mentality does to companies and how it only negatively effects the quality of the series, causes anger and resentment in the user base and forever changes public perception and reputation of the developers. I've seen this happen numerous times with most every series I loved from my childhood. Déjà vu, Been There Done That, etc.

Can't create a better reponse right now. I'm busy Installing mods into GTA San Andreas. ;)

• AboveAndBeyoncé and Maibatsu545 like this

MrDrCold
  • MrDrCold

Kr4zY

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:15 AM

I dont think ill be buying games from R* or Take Two anymore if their going to do this 

Mods were the main reason i still play GTA V 

• adub, nm69, Maibatsu545 and 2 others like this

The Wandering Hunter
  • The Wandering Hunter

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:17 AM

f*ck sake

i wanted to buy sp gtav on pc so i could mod it with a10 warthogs and sh*t

well f*ck you cockstar i'm not buying it.
  • assCRACK_98 likes this

LennyH
  • LennyH

Yeah boiii

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:18 AM Edited by LennyH, 16 June 2017 - 04:18 AM.

Update: Take Two Interactive has responded. The company states, "Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody.

WTF?

• Alvarez, Niobium and Maibatsu545 like this

FlyeThemoon
  • FlyeThemoon

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:18 AM

“When Take 2 gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make Take 2 take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?! 

• Claude_Lib and Yinepi like this

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

If you're trying to do a fresh install of OpenIV and the installer simply fades away or disappears there's a way to get it to install,PM me if you encounter this issue.

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Members
  • Russia

Next thing you know, Take Two is probably going to ban mods for GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas in the near future.
  • Maibatsu545, DidSomebodySayYouga and IrisOA like this

Starkka15
  • Starkka15

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

Next thing you know, Take Two is probably going to ban mods for GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas in the near future.

Highly doubt it... the backlash would even be worse and I'm pretty sure they would lose all their PC fan base.... all of it..

zanesix
  • zanesix

Stupid Malaka

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:22 AM Edited by zanesix, 16 June 2017 - 04:22 AM.

It wouldn't make any sense why Rockstar/Take Two would try and take away 3D era mods since all of those games are way over a decade old and have no threat on their sales. But you just never know with these people...

• AboveAndBeyoncé likes this

N R G
  • N R G

cla$$y lady

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:24 AM

Update: Take Two Interactive has responded. The company states, "Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody.

WTF?
Source?

BorisVorontsov
  • BorisVorontsov

Mahou Shoujo

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:25 AM

take 2 meeting about what to do with the cheaters

R* dev: sir we are losing income due to mod menus on pc 

Straus: fk the board is going to be pissed

R* dev: well we can probally put a anti cheat system 

straus: how much we are talking here?

R* : writes a number on a paper

straus: too much what are the cheapest options

R*; well we can kill open iv and put a nice warning message about cheating when everyone loads in for the first time

straus: excellent! Do that so the board can shut up about profits. ha proper anti cheat haha not in my budget

No, making anticheat is not costly. All support of the game after it's release as additional programming and bug fixing is very cheap and rarely many people involved in to this process, because it's easy.

• Sunrise Driver and ExTerminator like this

zanesix
  • zanesix

Stupid Malaka

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:27 AM

WTF?
Source?

http://www.pcgamer.c...uffer-pcgamertw

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:28 AM Edited by Yinepi, 16 June 2017 - 04:32 AM.

It would hard to do that though. Sure, they can claim they do not want people to mod any GTA game, but implementing that practice would be tough for games that are not being hand-held by internet connectivity. They would have to take extreme measures to prevent it. Likely requiring spending millions of dollars on lawsuits to scare the public into submisson.

GTAV is like an under-developed country with a fascist dictator.

• Sunrise Driver and Ivan1997GTA like this

LennyH
  • LennyH

Yeah boiii

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

WTF?
Source?

http://www.pcgamer.c...uffer-pcgamertw

Here as well:

https://www.engadget...t-from-take-tw/

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
  • Best Tool 2016 [OpenIV]
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]
    Major Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

POPULAR

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

Here is my comment on this Rockstar's statement:
OpenIV, Liberty City in GTA V and all other mods/projects from my team and me are only specific for Single player. Rockstar must be well aware about the fact that you cannot access GTA Online while you have installed any OpenIV mod:

01.jpeg

The statement "Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody", is just wrong and they know it. OpenIV does not allows or supports any kind of GTA Online mods. We always supported Rockstar in their right to protect GTA Online from hacks and cheats. But, Take-Two's C&D was specific for out Singleplayer mods and have no mentions about GTA Online.
  • PatrickJr., K0ol-G-R4P, adub and 78 others like this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

redy 2 die

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Character 2016 [Niko Bellic Ped]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

So how do the OIV team feel about people tinkering with OpenIV to continue using it?

Fuzz_ball
  • Fuzz_ball

Snitch

• Members

I don't know if anyone has said it anywhere in the 60+ pages of comments.

Is there a way where people behind OpenIV work with R*/T2 on making an authentic modding tool for GTA:V. Something what Bethesda have for Fallout4, minus the pay part. Thus keeps the modding life alive for future R* games, people can make their own mods, no cheating devices in Online, and everyone wins. R* already stated in one of their newswire back a year or so ago, regards of mods. They don't care if you mod Single Player, but you can't touch Online. So R* knows how big the modding community is for the games. I know they seen how long GTA:SA is still alive and they had no issue with GTA: VC and GTA:SA in the RAGE engine. That was using the OpenIV.

I think what ticked them, was someone copy everything from GTA:IV and pasted them into GTA:V. That is my only guess.  

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:35 AM Edited by Street Mix, 16 June 2017 - 04:39 AM.

That's their reply?

REALLY???? That's piece of dog s**t, not a reply.

Remember that C* hates PC gaming?

The only reason GTA 5 is on PC with Online updates because it has high sales figures on PC, higher than on Xbox One.

But for C* consoles are still better. Despite high # of PC sales they still don't care about it. Hence why RDR3 is for consoles only.

F**k Turd2 and C* - the worst companies out there.

• nm69, Niobium and DangerZ0neX like this

Mid Night Club
  • Mid Night Club

Cridgey Enge Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:37 AM

Oh, Okays. Now Take-Two's trying to hide the bad reviews lest risking their stock plunge.

DCZJAw6XkAILWrN.jpg

• Rented, Arman Ossi Loko, UltraGizmo64 and 6 others like this

Fuzz_ball
  • Fuzz_ball

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

So how do the OIV team feel about people tinkering with OpenIV to continue using it?

That is a big no-no. T2 will attack if anyone who takes OpenIV and alters it.. Legal side, it is illegal.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

redy 2 die

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Character 2016 [Niko Bellic Ped]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

Shows the reviews on my end. 24% Positve. Mostly Negative.

• Kajjy, UltraGizmo64, Niobium and 2 others like this

Mid Night Club
  • Mid Night Club

Cridgey Enge Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:40 AM Edited by Mid Night Club, 16 June 2017 - 04:41 AM.

That is a big no-no. T2 will attack if anyone who takes OpenIV and alters it.. Legal side, it is illegal.

Haha, I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to China. ;)

Perks of a communist government. Will move there soon for other purposes, if what I think is true, then that will be an added bonus. :)

• Sunrise Driver and AboveAndBeyoncé like this

LennyH
  • LennyH

Yeah boiii

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:41 AM

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

Their main intention was to get rid of a way that people create/import modifications into the game so that they can increase their player base which is completely idiotic.

Mid Night Club
  • Mid Night Club

Cridgey Enge Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:41 AM Edited by Mid Night Club, 16 June 2017 - 04:42 AM.

"If you can't mod the game, then mod the logo."

• K0ol-G-R4P, jim_1989, Rented and 13 others like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:43 AM Edited by Yinepi, 16 June 2017 - 04:46 AM.

You sure? Because Rockstar don't own the source code of OpenIV. The team could distribute the code to the public in a "as-is" state, to allow users to develop their own modding tools from it.

Thus, even though it is OpenIV code, they would then have no further involvement regarding this "illegal modding" and are not directly encouraging it. They (OpenIV team) would simply be sharing something that is their property to the public domain, which I'm sure is not illegal.

• Sunrise Driver, Ivan1997GTA and DubHaMlg777 like this

Fuzz_ball
  • Fuzz_ball

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:45 AM Edited by Fuzz_ball, 16 June 2017 - 04:46 AM.

Oh, Okays. Now Take-Two's trying to hide the bad reviews lest risking their stock plunge.

DCZJAw6XkAILWrN.jpg

RECENT:
Mostly Negative (19,650 reviews)
OVERALL:
Mostly Positive (208,643 reviews)
  • DidSomebodySayYouga likes this

Wakka387
  • Wakka387

Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

WTF?

I said exactly this earlier... yet theres still bitching about take two being "Fun Police"

People only want to hear what they want... so they created an echo chamber and now look... all those fake negative reviews to try to destroy a companies revenue stream for a simple and understandable f*cking reason...

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users