Photo

Take Two vs. Modding

4,591 replies to this topic
SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

You can import LC from GTA IV to GTA V but only for your private use. As long you are not distributing it you should have no problems with all that copyright sh*t.

That's exactly what LC in V project did, and what OpenIV Team thought, but not to be, and now here we are.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground]

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

You can import LC from GTA IV to GTA V but only for your private use. As long you are not distributing it you should have no problems with all that copyright sh*t.

That's exactly what LC in V project did, and what OpenIV Team thought, but not to be, and now here we are.

But weren´t they planing to distribute some IV stuff with the mod.

• AboveAndBeyoncé likes this

SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:28 PM Edited by SMG, 10 July 2017 - 09:29 PM.

nope. 100% a conversion tool from original GTA IV files with additional license checks to make sure they are genuine to boot.
  • CartmanKusanagi likes this

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground]

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:51 PM Edited by cj2000, 12 July 2017 - 01:51 PM.

nope. 100% a conversion tool from original GTA IV files with additional license checks to make sure they are genuine to boot.

Than I really don´t see the problem.

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Republic of Kekistan

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

Than I really don´t se the problem.

Exactly. There isn't one. Unless T2 are going to send me a CnD for converting the map off my own back for personal use they shouldn't be sending one to the OpenIV team either.
  • cj2000, CartmanKusanagi and MrBellicLC like this

Sharkiller
  • Sharkiller

Player Hater

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

but GTA4 and GTA5 are the SAME IP. So whats the problem? there is no rule broken.

• cj2000 likes this

southparkmayor
  • southparkmayor

Derp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:13 AM Edited by southparkmayor, 14 July 2017 - 01:26 AM.

but GTA4 and GTA5 are the SAME IP. So whats the problem? there is no rule broken.

OpenIV does not want to risk it. 

i personally think there has been a huge misunderstanding of the modding policy though. 

lostmeogaccnt04
  • lostmeogaccnt04

Player Hater

• Members
  • Wallis-And-Futuna

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

They're not going to risk having their reputations and revenue destroyed by vengeful mob mentality for too much longer.

Everyone who review bombed GTAV needs to fix their review. You got what you wanted, now hold up your end of the bargain.

Their reputation was sealed with V pc release. GTA V does not deserve any praise from pc players. It is their worst game to date, which left me with 0 confidence about any future GTA games.

Besides the graphics, GTA V is a mediocre game with forgettable characters and a forgettable story. Bought it on a release day.Could not play until forced 5GB slug download was completed.Constant lock outs from SP forcing me to connect to internet, updates I did not want or need.Played it for a month, did not mod it at all, uninstalled it to never play it again. At least I got a nice looking box and a poster. Reminds me of my wasted money and wasted bandwidth.

Came back to GTA series only due to good memories from VC/SA/IV/EFLC. And since I still got my disks, back here and to gtagarage to mod them up with mods I do not have. And to grab few tools. Open IV is a good tool. Gta modding crowd from around the world has been and still is one of the best on the net.

If it can be imported, maybe I might reinstall V again one day.

• B Dawg likes this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

OpenIV does not want to risk it. 

i personally think there has been a huge misunderstanding of the modding policy though. 

I agree with you there. They had an issue with RDR V because it was a different title. We have had a tone of GTA map conversions. Rockstar and Take Two didn't give a sh*t about those.

But there is one I wonder about. GTA Underground.

Remember folks, it is always about money. They are probably going to be remastering RDR and GTA IV. GTA IV's 10th Anniversary is around the corner. I'm a little doubtful that it would get a mobile version (if it did, it would require a powerful phone). But since IV is in the HD era, there could be an expansion for GTA Online. If so, we will just load the map in SP using mod menus. lol. Just like all of the map changes that have been made for Online.

Also, don't be surprised if there are people working on one or more Liberty City ports as we speak. Once they are satisfied with their results, they may be released to the public. If Take Two shuts them down, it will be too late. Strauss may have a temper tantrum and break something in his mansion/penthouse or on his yacht though. lol

• MrBellicLC likes this

Renazor
  • Renazor

Player Hater

• New Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:35 PM Edited by Renazor, 16 July 2017 - 01:44 PM.

Well, that's only our human practical perception/coincidence, technially legally it may not. The trademarks are separate, I still think they're treated as a separate IP as well.

Rememeber the Duke Nukem Forever thing, where it was all split up, even if Gearbox has the main part, there's still other DN games in-dev by Apogee and other studios that 3DRealms outsourced to.

wTLsVHF.jpg

• SMG and UltraGizmo64 like this

Aleksey321
  • Aleksey321

Player Hater

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

So, they allowed modding, but disallowed mods.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

You know I still don't understand this. They have a problem with distributing it but it's not like anyone is in this to profit from it. Would they really have a chance in court pulling this BS?

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

can i pls just die already

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Best Character 2016 [Niko Bellic Ped]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:15 AM

Yes, because it is their property, and they've also got a lot of lawyers and money.

• RedDagger likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:00 AM Edited by Niobium, 30 July 2017 - 04:07 AM.

i was not following this thread when take two released their statement regarding modding. i just wanted to say f*ck take-two and their non-apology.

"Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects"

i'm no lawyer but "generally" is f*cking vague as sh*t. a loophole waiting to happen.

"This does not apply to... use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project."

great... so if i am reading this correctly, that means no hulk mods or ironman mods or anything like that. that just killed a lot of these mods.

"Take-Two reserves the right to object to any third-party project, or to revise, revoke and/or withdraw this statement at any time in their own discretion."

this speaks for itself.

zanesix
  • zanesix

Stupid Malaka

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:27 AM Edited by zanesix, 30 July 2017 - 04:30 AM.

"This does not apply to... use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project."

great... so if i am reading this correctly, that means no hulk mods or ironman mods or anything like that. that just killed a lot of these mods.

I honestly think they don't care about any of that stuff, they only care about importing/exporting their IP from game to game. If that was true JulioNIB probably would have gotten a cease and desist by now, they're just saying it to cover their bases if you know what I mean.

R2star
  • R2star

Player Hater

• Members
  • Algeria

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

i stopped playing gta 5 the moment i heard the news.

is there a chance open iv can be developed by other team who dont care about copyright laws ? since gta 5 is a pirated game anyways.

rollschuh2282
  • rollschuh2282

Grove street for life !!!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:32 AM

i stopped playing gta 5 the moment i heard the news.

is there a chance open iv can be developed by other team who dont care about copyright laws ? since gta 5 is a pirated game anyways.

you're late, the Problem is already solved, and the openiv team continue to work on openiv
  • R2star likes this

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Republic of Kekistan

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you to everyone who took part (and the thread has already been necro'd...so why not). What happened two months ago was truly a watershed moment. Rockstar and Take2 will not forget this in a hurry. The next time they, or any other company, consider doing something like this...they will remember the fallout...they will remember us...they will remember the power each of us wields as a consumer. Hold your heads high my friends. It has been two months...and GTA 5's steam reviews...still haven't recovered.

rHnxAJd.png
  • JuniorChubb, R2star and Joel3541 like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 4 weeks ago

IMO R* deserves the bad ratings and they should continue for the sole fact that they decided to pull this sh*tty move and dont give a damn about the consumer to start with, sadly in a couple of months the general rating will go back to normal

z06z33
  • z06z33

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Now the nice people have stolen millions of legit dollars from online players. They hate pc plain and simple.

R2star
  • R2star

Player Hater

• Members
  • Algeria

Posted 3 weeks ago

guys i dont get it open iv is not dead right ? 

• Davve95 likes this

OpenIV Team
  • OpenIV Team

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

OpenIV is not dead. But, it is current on hold because GooD-NTS' PC is broken and he is not able to work on it right now.

My home PC is broken now. So, no updates.

• Remix1994PL and MrBellicLC like this

Remix1994PL
  • Remix1994PL

Maniac of Realism

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

OpenIV is not dead. But, it is current on hold because GooD-NTS' PC is broken and he is not able to work on it right now.

Do you know anything about Script Hook V updates?

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Glad the project is alive. I wish GooD-NTS the best of luck in getting his PC up and running smoothly.

Davve95
  • Davve95

CJ - You wanna get back down so?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 3 weeks ago

Sorry if I have missed, but I have not been following the topic for pretty long.

I'd read if I know where..

But anway: So what's happening with this project?

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

Sorry if I have missed, but I have not been following the topic for pretty long.

I'd read if I know where..

But anway: So what's happening with this project?

Its alive, but mostly inactive. The progress will take time.

• Davve95 and MrBellicLC like this

R2star
  • R2star

Player Hater

• Members
  • Algeria

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yes , new update is up @remix

@ open iv guys you have all the support of the community keep it up ! u rock !

• Remix1994PL likes this

Remix1994PL
  • Remix1994PL

Maniac of Realism

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

I see that scripthook has been updated, but from what the native trainer sees is not updated and unfortunately can not weld him in the latest vehicles.

• R2star likes this

Squad
  • Squad

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

about the liberty city project from los santos side will still be added?

• Joel3541 likes this

RoscoeHussein
  • RoscoeHussein

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

about the liberty city project from los santos side will still be added?

no.

• Squad likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users