Take Two vs. Modding

4,594 replies to this topic
dekash27
  • dekash27

LS Saints

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:09 AM

In order to qualify all of the questions we had received during past weeks, we make some explanations:Unfortunately, we were unable to answer those questions earlier due to real life (yeah we have some).
 The community
First of all, we want to say "Thank you" to everyone who supported us in this tough situation. We’re very grateful for your support; for demonstration of the fact, that modding community is still a minority, but very vocal, creative and determined minority. You made the impossible and this story is already scribed into the history of PC gaming and the Internet itself.
Yes, this is your victory! Congratulations and many thanks once again!
 OpenIV and modding
The development of OpenIV will be continued as before. OpenIV never supported GTA Online modding and will not support it in the future. Our work will be continued within the Rockstar modding policy.
 Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto V
Unfortunately, our highly anticipated mod “Liberty City in GTA V” will not be released because it clearly contradicts with Rockstar modding policy. Liberty City mod is a big loss for us, since it was a huge part of our motivation to push OpenIV functionality.

If you are wondering what is next, well, we are currently revising our plans for the future.

Sincerely,
OpenIV Team.

I am happy to see this news, not too happy the Liberty City mod not being given the greenlight though. Still, we have to be grateful that OpenIV lives

RoscoeHussein
  • RoscoeHussein

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

Why no LibV & RDRV? I though they wouldn't mess with GTAO.

IP policies and what not

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

And what's the point of banning maps ? what a load of sh*t.

• Jeansowaty, LokDog, comanche93 and 1 other like this

Automan
  • Automan

Grandfather Modder

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

Right, great choice! :D

Is July 4th The Indipendance Day! :D

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:16 AM Edited by Mr.Arrow, 05 July 2017 - 09:16 AM.

And what's the point of banning maps ? what a load of sh*t.

You can still make maps, you just can't import maps from other games including R*'s games.

wootwoots
  • wootwoots

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:08 AM Edited by wootwoots, 05 July 2017 - 10:09 AM.

indeed sad to loose the LC GTA5, but well, at least OPENIV keep goes on, modding still a thing, and R* ( maybe ? ) will consider way more modding in the futur 

Or who know if they are just looking for a way to even more lock down the content from their sh#tty online / fk down modding from their next games.

But Well, still a really great new overall.

scalliano
  • scalliano

Undermonetized Minnow

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Common sense prevails.

My negative review remains in place, however. If the FiveM devs are unbanned, I might reconsider, but I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.
  • CartmanKusanagi, comanche93 and MrBellicLC like this

nm69
  • nm69

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Unfortunately, our highly anticipated mod “Liberty City in GTA V” will not be released because it clearly contradicts with Rockstar modding policy. Liberty City mod is a big loss for us, since it was a huge part of our motivation to push OpenIV functionality.

That's f*cking sad. I still don't understand what does R* have against it specifically, since it would benefit all sides.

My only guess would be that R* will go back to Liberty City with the next GTA game and since R* has the habit of using the game engine for 3 games(III-Vice City-SA), they'll use the RAGE engine going forward and will probably end up doing the same thing OIV Team were doing i.e., porting majority of the assets(buildings, vehicles and stuff) from IV/EFLC while then adding more content to the map to make it bigger than it already is. 

Also about that no importing other IP into R* games, does that mean most of the vehicle models that come from other games are also a No-No? 

• 3Doomer likes this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

It is great news to have an official statement to back up the overwhelming success here. I remember going to sign up on the petition when it was about 2,000 signatures and thinking 'is this worth it, nothing is gonna change' and here we are with a happy ending.

Well done to all those who put the effort in.

Timetraveler
  • Timetraveler

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:08 PM Edited by Timetraveler, 05 July 2017 - 12:09 PM.

If you are wondering what is next, well, we are currently revising our plans for the future.

you can release it separately from OpenIV, so as an new project that have nothing to do with OpenIV...

Spoiler

Ned Flanders
  • Ned Flanders

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Great to hear the positive news from OpenIV.

I think we might either see a GTA IV Anniversary Edition next year or they will use Liberty City as a part of GTA VI.

• SMG likes this

KevFB
  • KevFB

Tu bluffes pas Martoni !

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

Glad to see that OpenIV is finally back! Congrats guys!

But sad about the fate of Liberty City in GTA V (and other similar projects that could have been achieved).

That's f*cking sad. I still don't understand what does R* have against it specifically, since it would benefit all sides.

Maybe we will discover the reason later... Like this October, for the 20th anniversary of GTA...

• killso likes this

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground]

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

indeed sad to loose the LC GTA5, but well, at least OPENIV keep goes on, modding still a thing, and R* ( maybe ? ) will consider way more modding in the futur 

Or who know if they are just looking for a way to even more lock down the content from their sh#tty online / fk down modding from their next games.

But Well, still a really great new overall.

May be someone else will make a mod bringing LC from GTA IV to GTA V.

killso
  • killso

When this baby hits 88Mph you're gonna see some serious sh*t

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Yeah but as someone said, IP means a new series, no ?

So gta IV and V are the same IP ( gta ), aren't they ?

And considering that there are references ( as olders characters like niko ) in gta 5, then it is another proof that they are the same IP.

I would even say that Read dead and gta is the same IP because there are read dead references in gta.

I'm not sure though, what IP means is pretty unclear.

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

GooD, did you actually ask R* about it or did you just assume they wouldn't allow it to pass because of the policy?
Either way, if not you, someone else will do it, like this one here. Maybe you can help this guy, but without getting directly involved into the development process.
  • CartmanKusanagi likes this

RoscoeHussein
  • RoscoeHussein

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Yeah but as someone said, IP means a new series, no ?

So gta IV and V are the same IP ( gta ), aren't they ?

And considering that there are references ( as olders characters like niko ) in gta 5, then it is another proof that they are the same IP.

I would even say that Read dead and gta is the same IP because there are read dead references in gta.

I'm not sure though, what IP means is pretty unclear.

IP = intellectual property

cgmpowers
  • cgmpowers

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:35 PM Edited by cgmpowers, 05 July 2017 - 03:40 PM.

Try a different perspective....I think its actually something that 'could' work out.

OpenIV has invested an enormous amount into GTA V: Liberty Cities...  but now say it is killed because of the modding parameters that Take2 and Rockstar will not allow...  However, its it something they'll allow to be licensed as an add-on?

Back when I was younger, many--many years ago, when the first Duke Nukem 3D came out...there were dozens of add-on titles that were NOT made by 3d Realms or Id Software and some sold rather well, and also boosted the sale of Duke Nukem.

OpenIV should continue the discussion with Rockstar about the content and hours of work that went into that content and how it shouldn't be 'simply tossed in the trash'. At the end of the day, Rockstar and Take2 want their IP to not be infringed upon as well as they want to make money. However, I for one would pay $ to have a story mode mod release by Rockstar. Unless they're already working on one, which I seriously doubt as they've claimed to not be since forever... I wonder how profitable it would be for OpenIV to sell an addon (with Rocktstar's licensing the IP for the add-on). 

I believe I saw a number over 500k people who are registered on the GTA5 Mods website, I could be mistaken, it might be less. Even if its half of that its still a pretty large number. After all, over 1.8 million people have downloaded Script Hook V..an essential tool for modding in the GTA community. So its not unreasonable to say we're talking about a LOT of people on the PC. Not to mention, an add-on would bring people BACK that have since abandoned the game because they're not modding it, it would also sell GTAV-PC copies to the people on the consoles who haven't gone to the PC platform. 

Seriously, this should be a discussion at least with Rockstar and OpenIV to have. Its entirely possible we're talking about a lot of money to be made by both companies with an expansion. I know mods have generally been "free" with the exception of a few add-on peds via Patreon.

Anyway, that's my thought.  Back in the 80s and 90s, 2nd publisher add-ons weren't uncommon... Hell even Microsoft allowed it and still do I believe for their Flight Simulator game.

• Ned Flanders, CartmanKusanagi and AboveAndBeyoncé like this

ikt
  • ikt

_

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

So you mean outsourced development of official DLC? Because that's not an unusual thing.

A proper R* supported SP DLC to bring LC into GTA V would be neat yes, but I doubt they give a rats ass about SP at this point in time. Mind you, all the work that went into this was probably with converting IV assets to V assets and re-discovering and re-documenting formats, something R* should not have to do themselves. Adding traffic paths was a hell, probably, for example, but I doubt with official tools these things would be hard or cumbersome.

There's no real point in R* support for the current state of the project as far as I see, they could (SHOULD!) probably do a cleaner job themselves converting this.
  • UlquiorraS4 likes this

UlquiorraS4
  • UlquiorraS4

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

That's very sad.. I Think by myself, why R* does not do a Liberty City map expansion via DLC (paid) for itself? :/

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

An interesting note, Rockstar statement regarding IP is pretty similar to Bethesda modding policy https://community.be...tart=0&tstart=0 )

tjpc5ni.png

• MrGTAmodsgerman, raburs and zanesix like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Yes, this is pretty commonplace in games with large modding communities.

XMAX1941
  • XMAX1941

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

I'm crying right now....

MrGTAmodsgerman
  • MrGTAmodsgerman

Inventor

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

What if the OpenIV converter gets transformed into a Map converter that blocks any GTA IV original map content? I mean for GTA IV Map mods. Will this against the rules?

Its a huge useful converter.

• nkjellman likes this

rollschuh2282
  • rollschuh2282

Grove street for life !!!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

What if the OpenIV converter gets transformed into a Map converter that blocks any GTA IV original map content? I mean for GTA IV Map mods. Will this against the rules?

or they release the converter for converting gta 4 map mods, but then some "evil" guys, use it to convert liberty cty, then it isn´t the fault of the oiv team. :)
  • nkjellman, MrGTAmodsgerman, Jeansowaty and 1 other like this

MrGTAmodsgerman
  • MrGTAmodsgerman

Inventor

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:00 AM

or they release the converter for converting gta 4 map mods, but then some "evil" guys, use it to convert liberty cty, then it isn´t the fault of the oiv team. :)

Yea, i was meaning for using the converter only for Map mods like French Riviera...

rollschuh2282
  • rollschuh2282

Grove street for life !!!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:27 AM Edited by rollschuh2282, 06 July 2017 - 06:27 AM.

Yea, i was meaning for using the converter only for Map mods like French Riviera...

i know, but the oiv team can officially release it to port map mods, and it isn´t there fault when some randoms use this converter to convert the gta 4 map. you understand ;D

• MrGTAmodsgerman and MrBellicLC like this

PatrickJr.
  • PatrickJr.

SFM Artist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

The problem is you're all discussing this in public where anyone from Rockstar can read this perfectly fine.

• Mercury Reborn likes this

mm2mm1fan
  • mm2mm1fan

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

So would it be illegal if I download a mod with a Forza model or a real life car brand? Can I be arrested or banned from Social Club for having those mods installed? Can they detect the mods in the game files?

Cysiek
  • Cysiek

1+1=69

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

I do not know what they're upset about. Modding in the SP mode does not violate any goods.

• Jeansowaty likes this

scalliano
  • scalliano

Undermonetized Minnow

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

An interesting note, Rockstar statement regarding IP is pretty similar to Bethesda modding policy https://community.be...tart=0&tstart=0 )

tjpc5ni.png

True, although when it comes to games like the original Doom (which Bethesda now own), neither party seems to take any heed. For example, I can think of at least 4 "Doom 4 in classic Doom" mods that are currently floating around, but there seems to be a very "don't ask, don't tell" mentality.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users