Take Two vs. Modding

4,594 replies to this topic
PatrickJr.
  • PatrickJr.

SFM Artist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

No, I don't know who he is, and I don't care because I don't idolize people who happen to have some sort of clairvoyance in regards to this game. That kind of information is almost never obtained legitimately.

But I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm saying that until he provides proof that this information is factual (prior to an official confirmation by OpenIV), then it can ONLY be considered guess work.

And to that end, what I suggested is just as likely. He probably HAS been advised to STFU, before he says something else he can't take back.

Clairvoyance? No. Well informed and well connected. Yes. I can't be bothered to argue with you on this...so I'm just going to close with this; Ash_735 is in direct communication with the OpenIV team; something which has already been proven in this thread. He knows what he's talking about...and you would do well to believe him.

I'd say let him do what he wants, we know Ash is a great source, It does not matter if he does not want to believe him or not, his loss.

• SMG, MeatSafeMurderer, zanesix and 1 other like this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:23 PM Edited by CarnageRacing00, 01 July 2017 - 08:43 PM.

No, I don't know who he is, and I don't care because I don't idolize people who happen to have some sort of clairvoyance in regards to this game. That kind of information is almost never obtained legitimately.

But I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm saying that until he provides proof that this information is factual (prior to an official confirmation by OpenIV), then it can ONLY be considered guess work.

And to that end, what I suggested is just as likely. He probably HAS been advised to STFU, before he says something else he can't take back.

Clairvoyance? No. Well informed and well connected. Yes. I can't be bothered to argue with you on this...so I'm just going to close with this; Ash_735 is in direct communication with the OpenIV team; something which has already been proven in this thread. He knows what he's talking about...and you would do well to believe him.

Like I said, I wasn't arguing against what he said. Just that, to my knowledge, it was guess work. He, and you, apparently, just assumed I should know who he is. That's some kind of arrogance right there if you ask me.

You're the one that decided to pick a fight because I dared to question the logic of someone who, to me, was just another GTAF user.

But it doesn't surprise me, the zealotry on display in defense of OpenIV and its team is both apparent and significant. Don't dare question or disrespect the venerable GooDNTS, or for that matter, alleged members of his team or people who are apparently in contact with the team for any reason or ye shall suffer the wrath of the followers.

Ash was a dick to me out of the blue. Uncalled for. Don't dog pile on me when I defend myself and then run away from the discussion once you declare it a waste of your time. You chose to stick your neck out. Don't act like I'm burdening you with argument.

• Jinx. likes this

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Story continues. PS2 GTA roms got pulled out from emuparadies (except for LCS one)
https://www.emuparad..._(v3.00)/150570

This game is unavailable (?)

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Story continues. PS2 GTA roms got pulled out from emuparadies (except for LCS one)

Roms, as in, download for free and play the entire game for free roms?

Choose your battles, man..

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

>roms of 10+ years old games
>available for years
>used by modders who already bought the game many times for checking version differences

Yes those. I doubt that it massively helps piracy.

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

They want to sell you the sh*tty PS4 emulated version. They f*cked up Emuparadise as well.  :angry:

• CartmanKusanagi likes this

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Republic of Kekistan

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

Like I said, I wasn't arguing against what he said. Just that, to my knowledge, it was guess work. He, and you, apparently, just assumed I should know who he is. That's some kind of arrogance right there if you ask me.

You're the one that decided to pick a fight because I dared to question the logic of someone who, to me, was just another GTAF user.

But it doesn't surprise me, the zealotry on display in defense of OpenIV and its team is both apparent and significant. Don't dare question or disrespect the venerable GooDNTS, or for that matter, alleged members of his team or people who are apparently in contact with the team for any reason or ye shall suffer the wrath of the followers.

Ash was a dick to me out of the blue. Uncalled for. Don't dog pile on me when I defend myself and then run away from the discussion once you declare it a waste of your time. You chose to stick your neck out. Don't act like I'm burdening you with argument.

I tried to tell to you that he was a trustworthy source. Sure...then you're trusting me as a source for the fact that he's a trustworthy source...but you have to stop somewhere and say "There's no smoke without fire". You chose not to listen...and whether you think we're being zealous or not doesn't change the facts...anyway, since you seem so keen to make that hole a little deeper I'd like to offer you a conciliation gift of a shovel.

Oh no...not illegal download links! Why on earth would they target illegal download links!? It's not like they're infringing on their copyright or anything...

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

So how long do I have to wait between each frame?

This is why GTA IV still exists

And your point is? I'm pretty sure it applies to GTA IV too. 

Nobody is going back to work with IV anymore for modding.

• Jinx. likes this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:18 PM Edited by CarnageRacing00, 01 July 2017 - 10:19 PM.

I tried to tell to you that he was a trustworthy source. Sure...then you're trusting me as a source for the fact that he's a trustworthy source...but you have to stop somewhere and say "There's no smoke without fire". You chose not to listen...and whether you think we're being zealous or not doesn't change the facts...anyway, since you seem so keen to make that hole a little deeper I'd like to offer you a conciliation gift of a shovel.

I'm talking about the first instance, dude, where he got snippy with me for no good reason and I snipped back. I didn't know who the dude was then, it was just assumed that I SHOULD know.

went through and looked at his post history. I've never seen him before, but now I'm aware, he's legit. The "Thanks" message from OpenIV with his name listed is about as clear of proof of that as it gets.

We're sitting here arguing over a throwaway comment I made to someone who told me to f*ck off for no reason, because you wanted to white knight him. Let's just drop it, because..

Oh no...not illegal download links! Why on earth would they target illegal download links!? It's not like they're infringing on their copyright or anything...

...because based on this, and many of your other posts, it sure appears that you and I agree on many things. Probably better allies than enemies.

• Jinx. and MeatSafeMurderer like this

Frank30
  • Frank30

Not a step back

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:32 PM

6 hours 1 minute Ascension right 14 degrees declination 22 minutes, Yuriy still not talking anything  :O  :O  :O 

PatrickJr.
  • PatrickJr.

SFM Artist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

6 hours 1 minute Ascension right 14 degrees declination 22 minutes, Yuriy still not talking anything  :O  :O  :O 

I believe it's because he's moving home and stuff right?

gts.
  • gts.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

Well, sh*t. That explains why I can't download the Japanese version of VC.

AboveAndBeyoncé
  • AboveAndBeyoncé

Yonce Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:07 AM Edited by AboveAndBeyoncé, 02 July 2017 - 04:09 AM.

Well anyone who has a computer that can run the pcsx2 emulator should know their hardware is more than capable of running the PC version of GTA San Andreas which would be more ideal than trying to download the ps2 version of it for an emulator
  • Hans-Hermann Hoppe likes this

SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:44 AM Edited by SMG, 02 July 2017 - 09:45 AM.

So how long do I have to wait between each frame?

Apparently they were getting between 3-15 fps, which is pretty good considering that they got it running at all without crashing and being able to actually make your way around the game world.

If you have been following their progress over the months this is actually spectacular, given that they were stuck on the loading screen and then the Intro without being able to actually see much (but could still tell it was running because of the sounds), and then being able to run around with heavy graphics corruption for a few minutes at 1fps.

This is a significant milestone. Their emulation is only going to get better from here.
  • Tomasak, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, wapster and 1 other like this

LC-DDM
  • LC-DDM

Player Hater

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Emulation goes beyond a mere boogieman regarding 'The illegals', mind you - it's about preservation of game libraries as well, throughout the ages. I can understand Rockstar's reasoning by doing this, in a sense. 'Why are you purchasing (or pirating) a copy of a game for a console that is now defunct?' But on the flip side of the coin, this is still their IP. I'm sure there's some clause, somewhere, that can say they'll lose rights to things if they don't do what they did. And, keeping in mind Nintendo also pulled something similar with their own games recently, 's all about the benjamins - that's why you see updated re-releases on the PSN classics, or the Virtual Console, or what have you. It's all about re-releasing the games for modern systems to give people back their need for playing that game without having to hook up an old machine (or sail the seas to play it on your computer through alternative means). And, really, it's only EP getting affected; arguably the most reliable and safe ROM distribution site people know. Others may not have been hit by it at all.

Furthermore, I unashamedly like emulation and piracy, so long as it's for the right reasons. For every NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1 gem being released, there's a licensed game in the middle that can't get renewed and is lost to the annals of time; the same goes for games that never got a Steam release, or worse -- did get a Steam release, but the licensing expired, or the games are too old to continue supporting, and they're pulled from the store. Or, alternatively, the latter can be used to demo a game, if the game itself doesn't have the option to do so.

I guess my final point that I'm trying to make here is... yes. Rockstar pulling old games from EP is a sudden move that leaves a bitter taste in our mouths, but a necessary one for them. We should concede them this one act, because if we raise hell for this we lose all reason we once had and it's all back to square zero. Act reasonably, my friends.

• Tomasak likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm talking about the first instance, dude, where he got snippy with me for no good reason and I snipped back. I didn't know who the dude was then, it was just assumed that I SHOULD know.

Well I apologise for snapping at you in that post, but considering I posted an update on the previous and then you started with this conspiracy hot take it did leave me thinking "seriously?".

As for not knowing who I am, etc, that's cool but in a thread as heated as this one and people looking to spin as much as they can, I'd at least expect people to read the few previous pages to see what updates there have been and you would've seen my posts regarding GooD-NTS current situation, followed by people accepting that information.

Mis-information can ruin a situation like this,so we'd just prefer to be clearing what's happening both here and in the media.
  • SMG, PatrickJr., Jimbatron and 4 others like this

Starkka15
  • Starkka15

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:03 PM Edited by Starkka15, 02 July 2017 - 12:05 PM.

Well I apologise for snapping at you in that post, but considering I posted an update on the previous and then you started with this conspiracy hot take it did leave me thinking "seriously?".

As for not knowing who I am, etc, that's cool but in a thread as heated as this one and people looking to spin as much as they can, I'd at least expect people to read the few previous pages to see what updates there have been and you would've seen my posts regarding GooD-NTS current situation, followed by people accepting that information.

Mis-information can ruin a situation like this,so we'd just prefer to be clearing what's happening both here and in the media.

You should know by now that nobody reads... it's unfortunate, but nobody does, I'm learning that slowly in EmergeNYC's discord. "Don't tag the developers".... guess... people tag the developers... it's annoying, but you just can't expect everyone to read, lol. I do though, I've read every page of this Topic, and so far, it's been interesting following.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Well anyone who has a computer that can run the pcsx2 emulator should know their hardware is more than capable of running the PC version of GTA San Andreas which would be more ideal than trying to download the ps2 version of it for an emulator
Yeeeee, but do you know many files in those mods are converted from ps2 version

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Republic of Kekistan

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:44 PM Edited by MeatSafeMurderer, 02 July 2017 - 01:47 PM.

They could well have been pulled from the creators PS2 disc. There is nothing to suggest they come from pirated content at all...I'm sorry...but stop trying to attack Take Two for taking down files from a site that, like it or not, specializes in illegally distributing copyrighted content. I think these sites should exist for the sake of preservation (some of my PS1 games are beginning to succumb to disc rot...soon enough PS2 games will too) but if a company wants to protect their IP...that is their choice.

Frank30
  • Frank30

Not a step back

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

I didn't know he was going to move.

PatrickJr.
  • PatrickJr.

SFM Artist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

I didn't know he was going to move.

Should read the thread more. Ash mentioned it before.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

They could well have been pulled from the creators PS2 disc. There is nothing to suggest they come from pirated content at all...I'm sorry...but stop trying to attack Take Two for taking down files from a site that, like it or not, specializes in illegally distributing copyrighted content. I think these sites should exist for the sake of preservation (some of my PS1 games are beginning to succumb to disc rot...soon enough PS2 games will too) but if a company wants to protect their IP...that is their choice.
i wouldnt have problem with x360 or ps3 games with active marketplace. But ps2 games? Which technically arent available except for used copies where r* doesnt get any penny, or emulated psn, which lacks part of soundtrack cuz they didnt renewed it, or removed haitan references. +ps4 might still have bugged aiming in vc where u auto aim at street lights.

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:20 PM Edited by CarnageRacing00, 02 July 2017 - 04:20 PM.

I'd at least expect people to read the few previous pages

Unfortunately due to the nature of posting behavior on this site, one becomes conditioned to not bother reading back several pages. If, for example, you spend any reasonable amount of time in the "Next DLC" speculation thread, you know that there will be one little nugget of information, followed by 5 pages of random bullsh*t and banter. God KNOWS where the conversation began, could be 1 page back, could be 10, so sifting through a 148 thread page to pick up where the tangent began is typically not something I'm going to waste my time doing.

Yeah, I suppose that's true, however it goes both ways. I feel like there was a LOT of misinformation that led to the review bombing of GTA V. I mean, I understand the modding community was in outright panic mode, justifiably, but at the same time.. is it not true that OpenIV was discovered to have been manipulated into affecting GTAO, or at the very least, discovered that it was POSSIBLE that it could be manipulated into affecting GTAO, and therefore TakeTwo's action was at least SOMEWHAT justified, regardless of how badly they mishandled the situation from a PR perspective?

I consider GooD-NTS' original post and his accusations leveled at Rockstar to be very short sighted and intended to incite backlash at T2 and Rockstar. I think a more reasonable approach from his standpoint would've been extreme diplomacy and professionalism, so he'd come away from this situation "smelling like roses", as they say. Instead, he's got a little bit of egg on his face (even though most people don't realize it), and what he said about Rockstar could have quite easily tarnished any future working relationship with Rockstar and doomed OpenIV for eternity.

Thankfully, and I sincerely hope people realize this, Rockstar was not only forgiving, but they were understanding and willing to look past how GooD called them liars in order to do what was right for the GTAV community as a whole. 

But unfortunately due to the wording of GooD's post, the community was set on a war path seeking revenge. The damage has been done and the community have no intention of reversing it - Steam reviews still sit at Overwhelmingly Negative. They felt oppressed by T2's actions, and GooD's words, specifically the following statements:

"We feared that this day would come... And now it's here.
The day, when GTA modding was declared illegal."

"Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don't even bothered with proof-reading the text)."

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

"The statement "Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody", is just wrong and they know it. OpenIV does not allows or supports any kind of GTA Online mods. We always supported Rockstar in their right to protect GTA Online from hacks and cheats."

He starts off by establishing that the community has been oppressed. 

Then, he takes a dig at the grammatical clarity of the letter, adding that they didn't even bother to proof read. My guess as to why he did even bothered to say this is that he was trying to dehumanize T2 by suggesting that they care so little about US that they couldn't even be assed to proof read, like it was scrawled on the napkin of the CEO while he chowed down on $100 sirloin on the top floor of his ivory tower.

Then, "so long and thanks for all the fish". Establishing himself as a sympathetic figure, an oppressed individual that we should rally behind because he represents we, the oppressed.

Then he makes a potentially factually incorrect statement, suggesting that Rockstar's statement that OpenIV ENABLES recent malicious mods is flat out false.. but later states that it's possible, so he wasn't being entirely truthful here. He could have said "yes it's possible but there's no evidence that it actually happened" and that would be not only been more honest, but far more diplomatic.

Considering that he does pay lip service to the fact that 

the modding always was a "gray zone" -- a battlefield between lawyers and PR...

...he seems clearly aware that OpenIV was always in danger of this action being taken, yet the rest of his post signals that he was completely taken off guard, and that this was an unexpected and unjustified move by TakeTwo/Rockstar.

So in other words, his post was not diplomatic at all, it was written in such a way to incite retaliation by the community, and therefore I have no trouble believing that somebody - someone at Rockstar, someone on the OpenIV team, or even just a casual friend, told him that he should probably stop saying things off the cuff so he doesn't accidentally damage his relationship with Rockstar and doom OpenIV forever.

But yes, you could say it's guess work. I would call it a hypothesis. 

Either way, I wasn't trying to be destructive with it. It was the logical conclusion that I drew out of the situation.

And I accept your apology, and I apologize as well.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

The ONLY reason Rockstar reacted was because of negative attention they were getting in the media. Rockstar did lie initially and agreed with Take-Two until they were forced to face the impact of this choice. You might think the action of the community was "harsh" but if there is one thing I've learned about Rockstar it's that they really don't like the media when they can't manipulate it, which is why I helped with websites this time make sure the correct info was being put out AND keep on it. If the Steam reviews are a sacrifice for this then that will be a reminder to Rockstar what happens when they tried to be ok with banning Single Player Modding.
  • SMG, nkjellman, Automan and 7 others like this

Rizaki Koizumi
  • Rizaki Koizumi

Weeb

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

The ONLY reason Rockstar reacted was because of negative attention they were getting in the media. Rockstar did lie initially and agreed with Take-Two until they were forced to face the impact of this choice. You might think the action of the community was "harsh" but if there is one thing I've learned about Rockstar it's that they really don't like the media when they can't manipulate it, which is why I helped with websites this time make sure the correct info was being put out AND keep on it. If the Steam reviews are a sacrifice for this then that will be a reminder to Rockstar what happens when they tried to be ok with banning Single Player Modding.

You can't manipulate people like us. We usually see through the bullsh*t. What did Rockstar expect? Also helped you kept on top of things. :lol: :miranda: 
It's nice to see that things did come back to fruition (sort of, sucks to see the LC in V project had to be sacrificed). I think I'll come back now since this whole sh*tshow is about to come to a close... Just waiting on GooD-NTS's statement to see what's really happening.

I still stand on my statement on how much of a headache it is to navigate through GTA V's file structure and how it turns me off from modding it.

• cpufreak101 likes this

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground]

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:26 PM

Haven't heared something stupier than this, 10 years R* had no problems with this tool, and now want to forbid it.

MGgames100
  • MGgames100

MG, not MC...

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Concept 2016 [Tuner DLC]
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Photoshop Winner
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

^ You're kinda late on this...

• MrGTAmodsgerman, MeatSafeMurderer and RM76 like this

Jon Jon
  • Jon Jon

Jonny Boy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Shhh he still believes it's the year 2000, hence his username. ;)

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

Shhh he still believes it's the year 2000, hence his username. ;)

No, I believe it´s year 51592, hence your username. :D

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Let's create, write and do the biggest petition in the world to restore the ability to create and use OpenV for modding purposes. Get a lot of votes against Take Two and show them as a response to players and the entire GTA community and other rockstar games.

Perhaps there is a chance yet to change this stupid, sh*t decision.

@GooD-NTS

What do You think about it? Let's not give up quickly.

If you create such petition, I´ll sign it, even I am not a big fan of HD era modding.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users