Photo

The Official GunRunning Weapons Thread

418 replies to this topic
We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Told Y'all That Liberty City DLC Would Never Happen... -_-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:16 PM Edited by We Are Ninja, 15 June 2017 - 11:06 PM.

I was fumbling around the new content and happened upon the weapons upgrade section in my MOC. It's literally like Benny's Customs, but with guns. There aren't any new weapons per se, but several of your old guns can be upgraded in literal Benny style; the guns appearance changes completely. It's not a skin or a livery, it's an entirely different weapon model.

Some of the mods are locked, but some aren't. The difference in appearance, damage, etc. is incredible. They even SOUND different. Think how fearsome guns sounded in Red Dead Redemption. It's like that. I'm only a little bit in, and I've invested several hundred thousand dollars into each gun... Barrels, muzzles, liveries, etchings, camo, tracer rounds, armor-piercing rounds, full metal jackets. It is insane.

Mod-able weapons so far:
  • Pistol
  • Assault Rifle
  • Carbine
  • Combat Machine Gun
  • Heavy Sniper
  • Sub-machine gun

Mod-able parts:
  • Scopes
  • Flashlights
  • Grips
  • Barrels
  • Muzzles/Suppressors/Compensators
  • Clips
  • Magazines
  • Livery
  • Tints
  • Revert (For when you wanna go back to your mk1 weapon)

I had to log off and go to work, so I couldn't get all the details I wanted, so this thread is a work in progress. Please feel free to contribute any knowledge and experiences. That said,  I was on the fence prior to this DLC dropping, but the gunplay looks to be seriously changed.
  • HometownLC, Pedinhuh and El-Gaddafii like this

Jakemo
  • Jakemo

FrostyGen

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

Just got a holo sight and incendiary rounds for my AK mk2, pretty stoked about it  :lol:

• HometownLC and We Are Ninja like this

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

I Left My Heart in Liberty City

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:19 PM Edited by HometownLC, 13 June 2017 - 01:30 PM.

PSA: Be aware that while most specialty ammo upgrades increase the damage you deal they severely limit your ammo capacity and are unable to be restocked normally.

I haven't had a chance to research any additional ammo types but tracers were unlocked from the start.

When you switch ammo types, the gun draws from a separate pool than the rest of the weapons in the same class.

Ex. The Combat MG with tracers no longer shares ammo with the regular MG or the Gusenburg.

This separate ammo pool has a lower cap than regular ammo; the tracers had a cap of 500 rounds. I'm a pretty sure the other specialty rounds will work the same way.

You also can't restock special ammo from the interaction menu or ammunation stores either. You have to restock from the MOC. I'm assuming they did this for balancing purposes since in the stats screen it shows that specialty ammo increases gun damage.

Side note: Tracers are pretty disappointing to be honest. The visual effect is underwhelming, even at night. Since it doesn't even increase your gun's damage it's essentially just a nerf to your ammo capacity lol.

• We Are Ninja, Fathead4A, DentureDynamite and 1 other like this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Just got a holo sight and incendiary rounds for my AK mk2, pretty stoked about it  :lol:

I didn't have time to play around at all. How do you unlock mods?

Jakemo
  • Jakemo

FrostyGen

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:22 PM Edited by Jakemo, 13 June 2017 - 01:23 PM.

^ seems like even less than that depending on the gun. Its only letting me hold 240 rounds total with incendiary rounds for the AK. As far as unlocking mods you have to invest and make your staff do Research in the bunker. Research can be fast tracked by paying an extra couple hundred thousand.

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

Rest easy, Chester.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Does anyone know the best weapon to upgrade? I've already upgraded the AK btw.

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:25 PM Edited by HometownLC, 13 June 2017 - 01:26 PM.

I didn't have time to play around at all. How do you unlock mods?

Mods are unlocked by clicking on the "Manage Staff" tab on the bunker computer and selecting "Research".

Instead of using supplies (ala biker business) to create weapon stock to sell, they'll use it to research upgrades for your guns/vehicles.

I'm not sure if you can pick which projects you want to research first or if they randomly choose for you. It didn't give me an option.

You can also "rush" projects by paying cash, although that will probably get pretty expensive; "rushing" MOC guns would have costed me $225k.

• We Are Ninja likes this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:26 PM Edited by We Are Ninja, 13 June 2017 - 01:27 PM.

Does anyone know the best weapon to upgrade? I've already upgraded the AK btw.

I modded them all, but I did up carbine and the assault machine gun first as they're my go-to's 9 times out of 10.
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan likes this

update_lsc
  • update_lsc

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

The combat mg reels so much better now. Seriously. It feels like there's no recoil whatsoever. I'm loving it.

• We Are Ninja, Unruly, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 6 others like this

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

If you upgrade a weapon, do you keep the unupgraded one also, or does it get replaced?
  • El-Gaddafii likes this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:30 PM Edited by We Are Ninja, 13 June 2017 - 01:33 PM.

PSA: Be aware that while most specialty ammo upgrades increase the damage you deal they severely limit your ammo capacity and are unable to be restocked normally.

I haven't had a chance to research any additional ammo types but tracers were unlocked from the start.

When you switch ammo types, the gun draws from a separate pool than the rest of the weapons in the same class.

Ex. The Combat MG with tracers no longer shares ammo with the regular MG or the Gusenburg.

This separate ammo pool has a lower cap than regular ammo; the tracers had a cap of 500 rounds. I'm a pretty sure the other specialty rounds will work the same way.

You also can't restock special ammo from the interaction menu or ammunation stores either. You have to restock from the MOC. I'm assuming they did this for balancing purposes since in the stats screen it shows that specialty ammo increases gun damage.

Side note: Tracers are pretty disappointing to be honest. The visual effect is pretty underwhelming, even at night. Since it doesn't even increase your gun's damage it's essentially just a nerf to your gun's ammo capacity lol.

So, I'm guessing that when you run out of special ammo, it doesn't switch back over and draw from the "old" pool... I guess that means it'd be smart to carry your upgraded weapon (if you equip the perks), and a regular "old" weapon as a backup. Especially since you can't refill from the Interactive Menu. Can you buy ammo at Ammu-Nation, or do you have to go back to your bunker/MOC to re-up?

Delaware
  • Delaware

MartZ2

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

If you upgrade a weapon, do you keep the unupgraded one also, or does it get replaced?

It gets replaced I think, but you can modify it back to the original version later on.

• J1M likes this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

It gets replaced, but you can revert it back to "stock" if you wish. I don't remember if there's a cost (though I'd imagine that there is).

Jakemo
  • Jakemo

FrostyGen

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

It gets replaced and you can't rebuy the normal version while having a mk2 in inventory

• We Are Ninja and DentureDynamite like this

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:34 PM Edited by HometownLC, 13 June 2017 - 01:35 PM.

So, I'm guessing that when you run out of special ammo, it doesn't switch back over and draw from the "old" pool... I guess that means it'd be smart to carry your upgraded weapon (if you equip the perks), and a regular "old" weapon as a backup. Especially since you can't refill from the Interactive Menu. Can you buy ammo at Ammu-Nation, or do you have to go back to your bunker/MOC to re-up?

Nope, special ammo can only be restocked from the MOC's gun workshop. Because the magazine itself is changed, it won't switch over back to regular ammo.

Holding onto a backup weapon is most likely the wisest course of action, while keeping your specialty guns for emergencies or specific situations tailored to the special ammo you picked.

• We Are Ninja, El-Gaddafii, Jakemo and 1 other like this

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

Ah ok thanks all. Looks like im only upgrading my the "AK" and the heavy sniper maybe also the carbine. But i wont upgrade the other 3 guns because I do not like their new look.

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Ah ok thanks all. Looks like im only upgrading my the "AK" and the heavy sniper maybe also the carbine. But i wont upgrade the other 3 guns because I do not like their new look.

I'm on the fence with my Combat MG. I use it a lot and wouldn't have a backup that would fill its role.

All of the other guns, except maybe the Heavy Sniper, have similarly performing counterparts in their individual weapon classes, and in the Heavy's case I'm planning on using it sparingly as an anti-jet weapon once I unlock explosive rounds, assuming they work as advertised.

The regular MG and Gusenburg can't really compare to the Combat MG in terms of accuracy and damage so limiting it's ammo so much and turning it into a niche weapon stings a bit.

• Forza Harrd likes this

ManassaxMauler
  • ManassaxMauler

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:42 PM Edited by ManassaxMauler, 13 June 2017 - 01:43 PM.

So I haven't done thorough testing, but the explosive rounds for the heavy Sniper seem okay. One shot to most normal cars, two to blow up my weaponized Tampa with armor. Haven't had a chance to take on any aircraft yet

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Really? I thought that the new upgraded pistol and machine gun are GORGEOUS. They sound fantastic, too. The pistol sounds substantially better than the old Desert Eagle.
  • HometownLC and Ya Boy Punk Fan like this

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:46 PM Edited by HometownLC, 13 June 2017 - 01:50 PM.

So I haven't done thorough testing, but the explosive rounds for the heavy Sniper seem okay. One shot to most normal cars, two to blow up my weaponized Tampa with armor. Haven't had a chance to take on any aircraft yet

Do you mind if I ask what the ammo cap for the Heavy Sniper is with explosive ammo?

I'm wondering if it will be practical as an anti-materiel rifle.

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:49 PM Edited by We Are Ninja, 13 June 2017 - 01:51 PM.

Do mind if I ask what the ammo cap for the Heavy Sniper is with explosive ammo?

I'm wondering it will be practical as an anti-materiel rifle.

Werd. I'm anxious to see what kind of damage it does to the jets. If it'll end a car in one hit, it's like a long-range, high-precision rocket launcher. Even if it doesn't put a jet griefer down with one shot, but it'll send him/her off for a new jet quick, fast, and in a hurry.

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:52 PM Edited by HometownLC, 13 June 2017 - 01:55 PM.

Do mind if I ask what the ammo cap for the Heavy Sniper is with explosive ammo?

I'm wondering it will be practical as an anti-materiel rifle.
Werd. I'm anxious to see what kind of damage it does to the jets. If it'll end a car in one hit, it's like a long-range, high-precision rocket launcher. Even if it doesn't put a jet griefer down with one shot, but it'll send him/her off for a new jet quick, fast, and in a hurry.

That's the hope.

With most of the AA vehicles requiring two people to use effectively, it would be nice to have a viable solo option.

Even if it doesn't insta-gib jets, if nothing else, it'll be one hell of a deterrent.

ManassaxMauler
  • ManassaxMauler

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:58 PM Edited by ManassaxMauler, 13 June 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Do you mind if I ask what the ammo cap for the Heavy Sniper is with explosive ammo?

I'm wondering if it will be practical as an anti-materiel rifle.
36 rounds if I'm not mistaken. Now, I don't know if this game has damage drop off at range, I just popped a cop car that got upset that I destroyed my Tampa. Hit it on the nose and it went boom.

Edit: just called a backup helicopter. Two shots to kill the buzzard.
  • HometownLC, We Are Ninja and Ya Boy Punk Fan like this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Do you need a MOC to upgrade weapons? Or is there a way to upgrade weapons from the bunker?
  • El-Gaddafii likes this

HometownLC
  • HometownLC

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:06 PM Edited by HometownLC, 13 June 2017 - 02:07 PM.

36 rounds if I'm not mistaken. Now, I don't know if this game has damage drop off at range, I just popped a cop car that got upset that I destroyed my Tampa. Hit it on the nose and it went boom.

Edit: just called a backup helicopter. Two shots to kill the buzzard.

Ah, thank you. That's good to hear.

It sounds like it's quite effective. Ammo is very limited but that's to be expected I guess.

Definitely turns the Heavy into a much more specialized and effective anti-vehicle support weapon.

As a side note, I feel bad for the Helisexual group since this is essentially everything they feared, if all the enhanced AA options weren't enough. Helicopters just can't catch a break between groundpounders and jets.  :/

• Prince_Polaris and U.S.S Luxington ATT-16 like this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

Rest easy, Chester.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

Do you need a MOC to upgrade weapons? Or is there a way to upgrade weapons from the bunker?

I believe it's just the MOC

• Stormingz likes this

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hmmmm....RIP helicopters.
  • ragedandcaged and U.S.S Luxington ATT-16 like this

Gridl0k
  • Gridl0k

hortif*ckingculturalist

• GTAF Crew
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:14 PM Edited by Gridl0k, 13 June 2017 - 02:14 PM.

Explosive Ammo omfg

more like Ragdoll Ammo

Single shot kills.

Run, Maverick, run.

• Kesha_F1, Unruly, Forza Harrd and 1 other like this

Schumy7
  • Schumy7

Social Club number 1 World Rankings.

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

The ballistic equipment is added under 'inventory' you have to buy for a create drop and pick it up... damn.

Jaydawg47
  • Jaydawg47

Player Hater

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

I have two questions:

I just read you can only upgrade your weapons through the weapon workshop in the MOC, does the same go for upgrades on your vehicles through the vehicle workshop? (I'm afraid so because the workshop in the bunker clearly indicates you can only modify the MOC and the AA trailer.)

And are you able to store a normal PV/weaponized PV inside the the MOC vehicle workshop? In other words; does the MOC vehicle workshop have the functionality of the personal vehicle storage you could otherwise get for bay nr. 3?

Thanks in advance!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users