63 replies to this topic
uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:34 AM

Is this worth getting if I don't have a lot of time to pour into?
  • Official GTAF Crew likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

Depends - it's a bit like GTAO in that regard, but with the grind being less about wearing down players' willpower in order to get them to fork out real money, and more simply because ...if you want a 150-million-credit gunboat, you're going to need to put in the hours. :p

I have a few hours every other evening to play ANYTHING, and I play more than one regular thing at the moment, so the only way Elite works for me is if I can maybe log in for 30 minutes to an hour, and feel I've had a rewarding time. Fortunately, it does let you do that - I can do a salvage mission in no time and make a tidy million, or something like exploring the scenery on a moon somewhere, and I don't need to plough hours into the game to do so.

Main thing is that aforementioned long-term progression - if you can't put in masses of time, you either need to play more efficiently, or just put the big ships out of your mind as anything other than a long-term goal. I'm saving for an Anaconda, but I've got a reliable trio of entry-level ships (Eagle fighter for light 'space cop' stuff, Dolphin 'space bus' for passenger trips, and my mini-shuttle Hauler for ...most things) that didn't cost much, even to upgrade, so it's definitely possible to get some cheap, versatile craft early on, and not need anything bigger to have a good time.

Grae
  • Grae

¯

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

For me, it's mainly about having the consistently rich freedom of an RPG, so it taking hundreds of hours to get the best ships is fine, wanted, but the content along the way should be deep as said.

Got enough time with the game and DLC on a friend's account. Played open and solo, BTW.

Character customisation choices are very lacking - it's weak fluff, even FTL offers more character choices/depth (generally, Arcanum is my favorite game for that, many choices that affect so much, and liven up rather than be obtrusive). I did different types of missions, but they didn't offer near the choices I want. They're like Bethesda's radiant missions...which I avoided or used commands to skip. What I saw in videos before, I mistook that as tutorial/early-game stuff. Google told me bounty hunting is the most popular activity by far, yet it's merely destroying ships with stat bounties and collecting from a menu, rinse and repeat.

It's badly limited. Disappointing from my earlier post, tho I wasn't very hyped. Not denying its status as a space sim, as I have no experience on that (I doubt FTL qualifies), but as an RPG it's extremely lackluster, soulless. To properly roleplay, I want to use my imagination as well as have the freedom of rich design to play with on several levels. The space sim-ness is cool, but otherwise it's like Bethesda's "RPGs" - wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.

purevil101
  • purevil101

Homeboy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Afghanistan

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

It's a must purchase if you are into open world sand box games.    I spend most of my limited game time mining or running errands between various space stations.   Sometimes get into the odd dog fight now and then if I forget to pay a fine. 

GG and cheap.  Go for it., 

Official GTAF Crew
  • Official GTAF Crew

Home Team

• GTAF Crew
  • Burkina-Faso

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

Is this worth getting if I don't have a lot of time to pour into?

First off, let me get my biases out up front: I have loved Elite since 1986, and E:D is a great continuation of what I enjoyed back then.

That said, the common belief is that, as a sandbox, it's a mile wide and an inch deep. I can't argue with that too much. The fun is what you're going to make of it, and a lot of that is going to mean RP'ing in your own mind as public sessions will inevitably have it's share of griefers and douchebags who won't let you have your fun without murdering you, because their sole amusement is derived from ruining others' fun.

There's a rich, deep lore going on and a developing story but the chances of you actively being a part of that story or impacting the lore is minimum to none. That said, you can still enjoy all of what's happening, you just won't be the one who gets to make the difference, although there's a lot of player-groups who are making that story or opening up the lore, and you can always join into one of them.

There's a fully running background simulation in effect, with multiple powers vying for position. You can join and help them, but how much of an impact that makes versus how much is simply the BGS is debatable, but the various powers can, have, and do continue to shift things like star system ownership around.

Which is important to bring up that a lot of people have made their own RP in it. The various science groups, the mercenary wings, the guys who literally fly around and rescue fellow pilots when they run out of fuel, none of them were created by FDev, they were organic creations from players and for players.

There is a certain amount of grinding built into the game, but once you reach a certain point you can coast and just enjoy the stuff you like to do. There are ways to cheese your cashflow (if you buy, send me a PM or post in the GTAF thread and let me know) so that you can sort of jumpstart your cash and get to that point.

IE, if you're really into combat, once you build a combat ship you can go PVE all day long and your bounties will keep you afloat. Or, the same applies if you want to trade, mine, or whatever.

However, realize that while that's true, there's also just a lot of time spent flying around from place to place. While there's faster than light travel in both jumping from planet to planet and flying aroudn systems, it can still take an inordinate amount of time to get to destinations (one of the space stations is famously 90 minutes of flight time from where you enter the system, and that's at FTL speeds), some people are really into that and some people are not.

The original Elite was mostly based on flying around and trading goods. That was it. Yeah, you would get chased by pirates and the aliens eventually, but it was all about trading. 34 years later and E:D is mostly more of the same, except now you branch into a few more directions to go in, it's still the same basic thing. Mile wide, inch deep.

But, for all of that: It looks amazing, it sounds amazing, and I find that it's very relaxing and fun for me to play. They promise some immense changes to the way it works. YMMV.

• Mister Pink and Commander S like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:30 AM

See, I went into it knowing that it's not some hugely story-driven thing, or anything really like an RPG. I'm reminded of the Errant Signal video on Alien: Isolation, where it compared the game to a handful of very specific moments in the original movie (but not the entire experience of the movie) - and I tend to think the same of the likes of FTL (which does a really good job of replicating the feel of certain bits of Star Trek, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, etc.).

With E:D, there's a reason why you're not able to do the EVE thing of being able to shape entire governments/conflicts, or anything like that - it's because it's basically 'Han Solo simulator', or 'Mal Reynolds simulator'. Or more specifically, 'Han Solo/Mal Reynolds just before we see the story kick off in earnest' - i.e., Han doing a smuggling run for Jabba, but ditching his cargo when he gets jumped by an Imperial patrol, or Mal paying off bills to some backwater contact by taking on passengers (made more complicated by the fact that a bunch of salvage wound up being marked goods, and now needs offloading somewhere discreet...). You don't get to be the Greatest Hero In Deep Space Ever (along with everyone else playing the game - hello, Destiny... :p), because space is bigger than you. I get how that's a very niche appeal, but I do find it refreshing, compared to so many games that want to put the player on a pedestal.

That, and it's the only space game that takes the wonder of space and puts a properly 'NASA-meets-Star Trek' spin on it. My current goal is to chip away at enough salvage and passenger runs to get an Anaconda by the end of the year, then kick off 2018 by pointing out at Ceti Alpha 5 (because you can actually visit it!), and then ...keeping going until I run out of space, and then report my findings. In other words, 'seek out strange new worlds', and 'boldly go where no man has gone before' - again, that's a massively niche approach to game design, but hey, it just happens to be a niche that works for me... ;)

• Mister Pink and Official GTAF Crew like this

Official GTAF Crew
  • Official GTAF Crew

Home Team

• GTAF Crew
  • Burkina-Faso

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:55 AM Edited by GTAF Crew Events, 30 November 2017 - 04:00 AM.

The 'Conda flies like a barge in supercruise (and regular thrusters), if you haven't experienced it yet you may not like it.. I was quite excited when I got mine, and I flew it for like an hour and promptly parked it.

DNH-j_NXkAIIZdP.jpg

Now it's literally the smallest sheild gen and all cargo (and a docking computer) and I use it literally for trade CGs and only trade CGs. Which is why I want the DC, because I'll sacrifice 2 tonnes of capacity for the ability to point-and-shoot once I drop out of SC next to a station.

Frankly, if you wanna do major exploration, you want a medium ship: The DBX or the AspX. The DBX will carry everything you need, the AspX has some additional slots to expand to everything you may want, but it's range isn't as good as the DBX.

I think my DBX gets 58ly jumps, with the same FSD my AspX is somewhere in the low 40s. To be fair, the AspX is multirole, the DBX is exploration only, so extremely lightweight. I vastly prefer it in that role, despite the general preference for most commanders to prefer the AspX for everything.

• Mister Pink likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:28 AM

Thing is, it's more symbolic - same way as I've been using a Hauler for SRV recon and salvage missions, even though it's an entry-level cargo ship on paper: for me, it's a perfectly-serviceable miniature space shuttle. ;) So by the same reason, my plan with the Anaconda is to treat it like 'Star Trek meets Space Battleship Yamato', give it enough kit to keep it self-sufficient, point it at CA5, keep going in that trajectory until I find at least one new discovery (an Earth-like would be ideal, obviously!), and then head back to Galileo with the accumulated data.

Asps and Diamondbacks are technically better for raw, efficient long-range exploration, but again, I'm less bothered about the best thing in Elite, more about living out the things I enjoy watching  on film/TV. Can't really get on board with the Lakon design aesthetic, either - bit too 'geometric' for my tastes. 'Form follows function', sure - but you don't have to throw out form completely, guys... :p Besides, as long as the good ship Musashi gets 'good enough' range ('better than my A-rated Dolphin' would be good - not sure how much patience I have with the RNGineers...), that'll do - I'm really more interested in making these kinds of grand trips with a set purpose (and returning home afterwards), rather than constant exploration in the long run.

Official GTAF Crew
  • Official GTAF Crew

Home Team

• GTAF Crew
  • Burkina-Faso

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

I've never gone looking for RNGineering materials, with the exception of Arsenic for the G5 FSD and even that I only did once. With few exceptions, I take the first roll for my engineering and most of it is G3 stuff, for PVE I don't need much more.

For 'Conda jumprange, don't forget stuff like engineering your D class sensors and life support, you can cut off another 40-70% easily of their weight and allt hat crap adds up.

My 'Conda is somewhere around 30ly with no cargo. I know there's lots of people who are pushing 60ly in that, too, but like you I don't have the paitence to hunt for the materials.

Your Hauler is actually a pretty capable little explorer if you don't mind travelling light. It'll carry a scoop, ADS, DSS and you can sheild it with a 2D generator, even without engineering you're close to 30ly jumps. I went to Sag A in an unengineered DBX, you could do it with your Hauler and when I came back I had enough money to outfit a very basic 'Conda (I went for a Python and FdL instead).I know what you wanna goto Ceti Alpha V in the big guy, but you can certainly take in some other sites and make a boatload of cash without even going for the big boy, then come home and "do it right."

I couldn't even tell you what the dash of my AspX looks like, it's forgettable. The FdL is goddamned gorgeous, though, and a joy to fly in every way and the DBX's dash looks like a Chevy 3500 cargo van, and lemme say after about 85K Ly it not only bores you to tears but just starts to look like sh*t with wear, it's like it almost needs a pull out ashtray spilling over with butts to complete the scene.

How many other people are actually playing this on PS4? I've wanted to wing up or multi-crew for awhile now, but the only other guy on my list who plays this has been absent for probably like a month.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

See, the other big benefit to my current 'take every 1+ million salvage operation that I can knock out in 10 minutes' strategy is that it's a surprisingly good way to get your Exploration rank up - anything between 6% and 12% (possibly more) per run, on average. That, and since I'm doing everything out of Federation space, they're all contributing towards my Fed rank grind, too - after I've built the Trek-ish all-round Anaconda, then probably a decent Fer-de-Lance gunboat for more robust bounty hunting, I'm probably looking at chipping away at a Corvette, as a more straight combat alternative to the Musashi.

As for my Hauler, again, so long as the jump range is decent, I don't mind about using it simply as a utility runabout, rather than making most efficient use of it as an explorer or cargo ship. Like I said, I got the dippy idea of turning it into a one-man space shuttle - and thanks to the Black Friday discounts on paint jobs, I finally got around to making that more literal:

cjpc4mj.png

:colgate:

Spoiler

Grae
  • Grae

¯

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

Just a bit more.

Arcanum has both a bigger world and far more depth than Skyrim, and has way better depth than ED, but that doesn't say much. Being able to do lots of different activities generally isn't special either. The priority for me is the same as any RPG - playing my character satisfyingly. ED is far, far bigger, and the priority is the same.

The faction stuff didn't interest me. Just wanted a very solo play style with mainly missions and exploration, but not power-fantasy design, which I'm sick of these days, and I didn't expect something awesome to pop up every few minutes in exploration like an ADHD kid. I looked past the severe lack of core character choices/depth, but the missions are so poor that I wouldn't want to do any of them more than a few times ever, and hours of exploration didn't yield anything meaningful.

Even some shooters' missions are deeper than ED's, whereas no shooter comes close to Arcanum on any of that. Arcanum is a good RPG because I can satisfyingly play my character however I want, which ED doesn't allow as said. Heavy LARPing is a thing, but I can do that in Far Cry if I wanted. Hell, I could even roleplay a wee bit in Call of Duty, like I could make up a voice for my silent protag for random talk to their self, and create a little backstory where they were traumatised by an evil drill sergeant who had an unhealthy obsession with shotguns, so I avoid using shotguns and go berserk whenever I see a shotgun-wielding enemy :die:

I'll get my coat.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:27 AM Edited by Commander S, 25 December 2017 - 08:48 AM.

...well, it's taken months on and off, but I'm finally sitting on 140-ish million creds, and ready to get that Anaconda - going to wait until January 1st to mark the occasion, take it out for some test flights, then point it at the unknown reaches of space, and:

Update: and a quick handful more passenger jobs in the Dolphin, and I'm now safely above 152 million, which means I'm pretty much set including insurance (because I'd probably just snap my controller in half if four months of savings went up in smoke because of a mishap!). Roll on January - and thank you, trusty Hauler/Dolphin combo! ;)

TizOHBC.png

• bloatedsack, elfoam and deadx23 like this

Official GTAF Crew
  • Official GTAF Crew

Home Team

• GTAF Crew
  • Burkina-Faso

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

...well, it's taken months on and off, but I'm finally sitting on 140-ish million creds, and ready to get that Anaconda - going to wait until January 1st to mark the occasion, take it out for some test flights, then point it at the unknown reaches of space, and:

Have you used Coriolis ship builder? https://coriolis.edcd.io/

You can spec out what you want, then use a link (dollar sign in the upper right) to find the closest station to your point to purchase the complete build at. So, at that screen (eddb.io) you to select Li Yong Rui from the dropdown and receive a 10% discount on your ship and modules.

• Commander S likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:51 PM Edited by Commander S, 29 December 2017 - 09:52 PM.

Coriolis is just so good - goes without saying, but being able to plan builds ahead of time, factoring in power allocation and mass/jump range, is invaluable.

Elite Dangerous Database is great, too - if you need to find specific goods, or which stations sell what (including ships), it's so very handy. I always keep it in my saved tabs on my console browser, in case I'm doing something like a quick delivery, and feel like flogging some salvaged goods at the best price. :pp

Can't get the discount, because 1) I'm steering clear of Powerplay at the moment in general, and 2) I'm more likely to pitch in with Felicia Winters eventually. Was hoping to have done more salvage jobs to get my exploration rank up, and get discounts at Jameson Memorial, but eh, all in good time. I imagine this maiden voyage for the new boat will probably help bump that up...

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:24 AM

No Power Play needed, any Li Yong Riu controlled station gives a flat 15% bonus across the board to anyone who buys from it regardless of faction, or lack there of. It's actually better than Jameson because Jameson is only 10%, the difference being that Jameson has all modules in stock where as you'll have to find the right LYR station for the 15%.

I have Jameson and I still do an initial fitting at a LYR station, at least for as many parts or big ticket items as I can. Keeps insurance costs lower, too.

Also, https://edcd.github.io/is the hub for most of the ED tools out there.

• Commander S likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

...holy sheet - that knocks the Anaconda down to 125 million, plus most modules, and Ray Gateway in Diaguandri is only 127 ly away from Sol (and the station's only a short distance from Diaguandri A, too)!  :panic:

Thanks for that - I can probably at least D-rate a bunch of things to lighten things up and get going, if not flat-out A-rate the essentials on Day 1...

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

Rememebr not all modules may be available at all stations. As I said, I usually build it out on Corolios, then take the space taxi to the LYR station with most of the stuff I want (there's always a few little things that won't be there).

After that, I either take off to Jameson and outfit the rest with the 10% or if it's only a couple of things I'll just pay for them outright.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:50 AM Edited by Commander S, 02 January 2018 - 07:50 PM.

Ray Gateway apparently sells most things to A-rate an Anaconda most of the time - only thing that people report having trouble with is a power distributor.

If the discount also affects insurance, I'm now tempted to take my handful of small ships (Hauler, Eagle, Dolphin), ...gut them completely (or at least any maxed-out kit, where I'm unlikely to find something better later anyway), then get them delivered to Ray Gateway and buy everything back for cheaper, thus getting back 15% on all of the gear (good thing upgrades sell for 100%!), and lowering the rebuy costs. And good thing you told me about this before I started dabbling with expensive medium/large ship builds...!

...and a quick update: the Musashi, launched January 1st, 2018 3304:

PfJVlSH.png

Since I wanted to go all-in with the Yamato homage, it's currently kitted out with a whole bunch of (cyan!) pulse laser turrets - makes combat feel less like a big fighter, and more a proper capital ship. Also helps with taking down fighter-sized enemies, being able to shoot anything coming in from above/the sides. Lots of fun - although I did have one hairy moment where a full wing of elite/master NPCs decided to gang up on me, and I had to bail (with a big hole blown out the side - gotta love the Anaconda model damage!), rather than lose 6 million creds on an embarrassing rebuy mere hours after buying the ship...  :*(

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

What kinda janitor carries a gat

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:21 AM

What are you guys most looking forward to in beyond? For me it's galnet audio and the planet facelift/terrain changes.

I know it's been said time and time again but this game really needs improving in terms of immersion and lore, things like voice acting, which we are getting seeing these new IRNA bases, and more with galnet audio. Though while we have these things like IRNA bases, the only way people would know about them is if they lurked the subreddit or the forums, there needs to be someway to find out about these locations ingame, not through galnet, but perhaps some sort or in-game "rumor" system throughout the galaxy, governments not involved, and no reason for any player too go do some google searches.

Also looking forward to the planet facelift stuff, new terrain generation, lighting, color, and other changes will make exploration a lot more fun and make the galaxy feel more unique, vast and will also open the door for atmospheric planets later down the line also holding over anyone who really wants atmo. Thinking a little far off but hopefully we get gas giants in 2019, not expecting space legs or any proper atmospheric planets for a while. But who knows, maybe we will get mars like planets along with gas giants, we already have them just without atmospheres.

Glad things are going to be picking up with 2018, it's free too.

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:30 AM

If you don't have the SLF for your Anaconda, you're missing out. It's the only thing that I really enjoy about mine, otherwise I only take it out for trade CGs where I have it stripped back to 448 tonnes of cargo capacity and just make hauls to hit the 10-25% tiers.

I find the most joy in the little Imperial ball, the Federal one was awful. I've never tried the third model or it's AX variant.

I don't care about space legs. Community is just chasing Star Citizen, and for the amount of effort there's little real payout.

I look forward to whatever their exploration changes are, and I'd like to do something with gas giants, although I don't really know what.
I'd like "easy" Thargoids, too. I know that you can't solo the big boys, but i'd like to start seeing scouts pop up that can be soloed effectively with high end medium sized ships.

They need a way to lock planetary POIs or a way to lock coordinates in so you can jsut fly to it. Using a 3rd party tool is the only option and it's still super complicated and needlessly difficult.

• Commander S likes this

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

What kinda janitor carries a gat

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:35 AM

I look forward to whatever their exploration changes are, and I'd like to do something with gas giants, although I don't really know what.

I'd imagine there would be similarities to mining.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:59 AM

If you don't have the SLF for your Anaconda, you're missing out. It's the only thing that I really enjoy about mine, otherwise I only take it out for trade CGs where I have it stripped back to 448 tonnes of cargo capacity and just make hauls to hit the 10-25% tiers.

I find the most joy in the little Imperial ball, the Federal one was awful. I've never tried the third model or it's AX variant.

Ah, see, I bought the Black Friday paint for the Condor fighter, since it's the only S-LF that looks like a traditional starfighter to me. :pp  In fact, with the matte black, it's like a weird mini A-Wing with First Order overtones - slightly jarring, to say the least.

I'm tempted to take it out with me for this long voyage into the unknown with the Musashi - only thing is that I'm not sure if I can afford the extra bulk, since I've not got the creds to A-rate enough modules yet. D-rated most things instead, got a good fuel scoop, and then it's just a case of moderate weight reduction so that I'm not stuck doing every consecutive system (even though I've got no set destination or time limit, so maxing out range isn't a priority).

Once I get back, though? I'm ages from getting the Corvette (which will end up being my carrier/gunship/Star Destroyer thing, also in matte black!), so I'll probably use the 'Conda to mess around with the Condor (that's not going to get confusing...), then work on incremental things like perfecting my SBY build, maybe trying out an FdL as a dedicated bounty hunting patrol ship, etc.

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

SLF is so much fun, even if it's the unfun version. :)

I'm extremely adverse to cheesing it, but at the very least hitting up Trappist-1 and maybe a couple other steps on the "Road to Riches" style flight plans can get you some easy cash. As much as I'm not telling you how to play, I'd at the very least do enough for an A-rate FSD, D rate teh rest of your sh*t (or even smaller module size where possible) just for sheer weight savings and then do a 5K Ly shakedown cruise then pop back to sell your data to Farseer and unlock her engineering.

Then take advantage of as much of her as you can to get increased FSD ranges, lightened sensors, the high speed DSS, etc and once you're there then go back out for your five year voyage.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

I'm currently on D-rated everything, but with higher-grade (can't remember which, haven't been able to touch my console for over a week...) fuel scoop, sensors (got the ones that'll honk an entire system in one go - perfect for finding out if anything's been discovered already and can be ignored! ;)), plus a basic suite of laser turrets and a wave motion gun rail gun. An ideal Exploraconda would probably ditch the guns, but that's not in keeping with the SBY/BSG feel I'm going for - it's part of the whole vibe to go out there with clunky old warship that's been hastily-refit and thrown out into the black half-prepared, until it finds what it's looking for. :pp

Ultimately, the fuel scoop is the big life-saver for me - jumping from system to system ends up feeling the same, whether it's 17ly or 37ly, but nothing puts the brakes on quite like an entry-level fuel scoop, and having to spend a good few minutes topping up (and overheating). The one I've got on the Musashi fills the entire tank in seconds (so much better than my Dolphin), so that, combined with being able to rule out already-discovered systems, means I can hop around efficiently, rather than the irritating stop-start-stop-start that I used to have to sit through with long trips.

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

Are you looking to maximize your exploring profits, or immerse yourself into the RP concept?

If you're looking to maximize cash, don't ignore already explored systems. The big group (WW, ELW, AW, and terraformable HMCs) can really add up even without the 50% first find bonus. The best key is to focus on a couple of star types (IIRC, I chose either K or G exclusively) and learn the golden zone for terraformables.

I also only scanned big ticket planets, or likely HMCs, and just left everything else untagged. I eventually decided that if I was going to be compared to anything, it was the early pioneer mountain men who saw everything beyond the Mississippi but only carved their names in the really good sh*t. :)

Trust me on this advice: If you don't have Farseer yet, do your shakedown cruise then pickup a metaalloy from Darnielle's Progress in Maia, goto her base and unlock her, trade in your data (exploration data counts for unlock ranks, too, so the more the merrier!), then pick up the best FSD you can afford and then let her do the following mods: Increased range FSD, Lightweight Sensors, Dirty or Clean thrusters, and Fast Scan DSS all to the best ranking you can do.

That'll make your next trip out infinitely more satisifying. You'll get to the untapped fields quicker (FSD and sensors), have more fun flying around in regular power (thrusters) and the Fast Scan DSS will give you hours of your life back instead of waiting for the scanner to finish.

Finally, exploring is going to tax your paitence. The SLF and SRV will both spice it up a bit. You cannot refuel the SRV (I may be wrong, check the synthesis menu), so taking the bay with 2xSRVs isn't such a bad idea. Again, you could pick this stuff up if you're cash strapped after a short cruise and witht eh cash you make from selling your data to Farseer.

• Mister Pink likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:36 PM Edited by Commander S, 10 January 2018 - 08:10 PM.

Oh, definitely just the RP. :pp That's the main reason I decided to push for an Anaconda ASAP, rather than working up through other things I want to get eventually, like the FdL - I suddenly had the idea of doing something along the lines of SBY's 'leave Earth to find the macguffin, then come back with the data' premise, combined with BSG's 'find a new planet (specifically Earth in BSG)' mission. Even the name, dark grey/dark red paint, and cyan lasers (had to spend real money for maximum immersion! :beerhat:) are a nod to Yamato:

18cyfa3ya7hs8jpg.jpg

battlestar-galactica-ships.jpg

But that's what I like about ED, aside from the specifics - even with all the in-game fiction, and things like the Thargoids (which I'm completely ignoring by doing this - amusing to think that there's some idiot going on a LARPing expedition like a Civil War reenactment, while there's an actual invasion by hostile aliens elsewhere...), there's something cool about being able to think of most classic spaceship scenarios (aside from the really specific stuff - there's no Death Star or anything like that), and being able to do something very similar, just because the game's toybox covers all of that good stuff.

...okay, turns out my jump range was still a bit rubbish - 16.58 ly, and 19 jumps to get from Sol to Menkar? Considering my Dolphin (with a max jump of about 24 ly) could do that in more like 10-12, I popped back to Ray Gateway (having sold the last of my obsolete modules), forked out for a 6A FSD, and got it up to about the same as a fully-upgraded DBS (30-ish ly), which cuts the 9-jump trip from Galileo to Ray Gateway in half. Considering my 'Conda now has a rebuy cost of 7 million, and I've got 9-ish million left, that'll do - I reckon I'm in a position to make a proper go of this expedition...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:42 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 15 January 2018 - 12:43 AM.

I'm a total noob to this game and this type of game bar a few hours of Rebel Galaxy. It seems kind of overwhelming the things you need to learn. I know it's what makes it fun too. Unfortunately, I don't have lots of time to steep myself too deeply into it but I would like to be able to play it for a couple of hours here and there and get some value from it. 

I had to try some of the training missions a few times to get it past them which was a bit crushing. 

Anyone any advice for anyone starting off like me? I'm a bit confused as to where to go first. I suppose there's some radio signal thingy I need to explore. What I'm asking is, can anyone point me towards some sort of structured approach so I'm not wasting time next I sit down? :p For example, you may decide to go mining or exploring a signal. I presume you would stock up on fuel first. I'm not even sure where I get fuel. I remember stupidly just going to one place I thought was closer and then ran out of fuel, lol. That was me gone. Going to start a new game when my course assignments are done. 

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

I'm a total noob to this game and this type of game bar a few hours of Rebel Galaxy. It seems kind of overwhelming the things you need to learn. I know it's what makes it fun too. Unfortunately, I don't have lots of time to steep myself too deeply into it but I would like to be able to play it for a couple of hours here and there and get some value from it. 

I had to try some of the training missions a few times to get it past them which was a bit crushing. 

Anyone any advice for anyone starting off like me? I'm a bit confused as to where to go first. I suppose there's some radio signal thingy I need to explore. What I'm asking is, can anyone point me towards some sort of structured approach so I'm not wasting time next I sit down? :p For example, you may decide to go mining or exploring a signal. I presume you would stock up on fuel first. I'm not even sure where I get fuel. I remember stupidly just going to one place I thought was closer and then ran out of fuel, lol. That was me gone. Going to start a new game when my course assignments are done. 

Find a decent station or planetary outpost, ideally not too far from the local sun (because it gets really boring having to make a 10-minute flight in-system, just to get home! :p), and do missions to get simple, structured activities - it's as near as you'll get to some kind of baked-in progression curve. If the station is a few planets away from the first star (I'm working from a station orbiting the Moon, for example), that's a nice, convenient base of operations.

Do more missions/passenger jobs/etc. using starter-grade ships (Hauler, Eagle, Viper, Adder, Dolphin, etc.), and you can quickly get to cordial/friendly status with the local factions, which opens up better job opportunities - if you get to allied status, you're unlikely to get scanned going into any station owned by that faction, too. You can easily wind up with some really lucrative salvage missions and the like that way, which'll help you get better stuff for your ships, before moving up to better ships entirely.

On that note, getting most internal systems up to D rating from the starting E will make a significant difference to how much you can get out of your ships, and the game - you can jump further, for one thing. A fuel scoop will come in handy for longer trips in the fullness of time, but when you're just doing odd jobs in-system or in adjacent systems to your home base, you can do without, and manage perfectly fine refuelling at stations.

• Mister Pink likes this

Official GTAF Crew
  • Official GTAF Crew

Home Team

• GTAF Crew
  • Burkina-Faso

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:13 AM Edited by Official GTAF Crew, 15 January 2018 - 03:18 AM.

Anyone any advice for anyone starting off like me?

Trading and missions are your opening bread and butter.

You already have a mission, so find out where it goes. You can see that in your transaction screen or on the galaxy map.

Now, take a look at the missions available. Any of htem going to the same place? Great, take them.

Get some cash in your hands.

Take your ship, and gut th esh*t you don't want. You don't need weapons, you'r ebetter just running int eh Sidewinder. You may need a docking computer if you want the help. You certainly want max cargo.

Now, start running those missions back and forth, if your form a little circle of places you'll get rep at each station and be able to get better missions.

A-rate your Frame Shift Drive ASAP, too.

D rate everything else.

You'll get back what yous pend on modules. Just collect cash til you want a bigger ship. I held out for a Cobra, but an Adder or a Hauler is perfectly acceptable, too.

PSN or XB?

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, Commander S and Offical GTA Crew. Very useful info. Seems like I have plenty to do. It's interesting to get an idea of people's little routines and tips to optimize how time is spent in game rather than just trying to do a bunch of things or nothing and then just getting distracted. Now I can go approach it a better understanding of what I should be doing.  Normally, I would love to just explore and get dug into a game and uncover it myself but for this one, I really needed a those few pointers to get me in the right direction. Haven't got to play since my last post but will boot it up now. 

I'm on XBL, GT on my profile. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users