Photo

Elite: Dangerous coming to PS4

24 replies to this topic
C64fanatic
  • C64fanatic

Remember to have fun!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:30 PM Edited by C64fanatic, 11 June 2017 - 10:49 PM.

Anybody exited about this? :)

I can't wait. I played the sh*t out of Frontier: Elite 2 from 1993, and I have been following Elite: Dangerous for a long time - and now FINALLY we'll get it on PS4 the end of this month. For me it's the ultimate space sim..

You can preorder it now on PSN.

• Furry_Monkey likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Yes, I'm well excited about this.  Before GTA became 3D, Elite was probably my most played game ever.  In my teens I used to get in from work and switch on the BBC Model B and play Elite until far too late, almost every night.  I was pumped when it was announced it's coming to PS4.  I've had £50 sat in my PSN wallet since my last birthday so it's been pre-ordered. It's gonna be a long couple of weeks :D

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

Won some fancy boxed copy of Elite Dangerous in a random tournament, but I've never even opened it. Never quite understood what it is.

C64fanatic
  • C64fanatic

Remember to have fun!

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Glad I'm not alone :) . I am sure Frontier: Elite 2 is my most played game ever. Probably played it way more than what was healthy.

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Soldier

• GTAF Crew
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

I might take a gamble on this as it looks more polished than No Mans Sky

marmoo
  • marmoo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

I might take a gamble on this as it looks more polished than No Mans Sky

It is a gamble worth taking Pete

I don't play consoles (PC gamer here) and have played the game since December 2015. Pleased it is coming to PS4 for you guys. Hate it when a platform is left out  / delayed.

IMHO one of the greatest games ever played. Yes, it does have a sh*t load of grinding etc but it is worth it

Played the original Elite on the ZX Spectrum in the 1980's and loved that also :)

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Soldier

• GTAF Crew
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

For £20 I might just give it as go :)
  • C64fanatic likes this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:14 AM Edited by fashion, 28 June 2017 - 03:09 PM.

Can you walk around and explore in this game or are you stuck to your ship? I'm all in for a better executed NMS type game but control of your player character is a vital part of a space explorer I wish to play. If it's just ship control then I'll pass.

Edit: I haven't found a clear answer on the net. There's a DLC that lets you explore planets?
How much of an RPG is this game?

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:07 AM Edited by deadx23, 29 June 2017 - 05:13 AM.

Can you walk around and explore in this game or are you stuck to your ship? I'm all in for a better executed NMS type game but control of your player character is a vital part of a space explorer I wish to play. If it's just ship control then I'll pass.

Edit: I haven't found a clear answer on the net. There's a DLC that lets you explore planets?

you are stuck to your ship,I believe you need the season pass for the updates like planet exploration (if I read it right)
And you basically deploy a rover you drive around the planet to explore but you can't walk around ship or out side :(

Ok I bought the commander version,I didn't want to get into it cause I have too many games but since a game im waiting for got another delay *cough sig cough*.
so far I have no idea what im doing,had a hard time with the camera only to find out the ps controller controlled it itself.i jump somewhere (no where) I'll have to do some research Before I run out of fuel.i did spend some time on the Character creator and like the outcome.
kItDsBB.jpg

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:06 AM Edited by fashion, 29 June 2017 - 09:06 AM.

Did some more research on this game and I'll rather pass for now. It seems you'll need the 50 euro edition for the best experience and the game is either loved or hated. Never played a spaceship sim before and I'd rather play a space explorer where you can walk and do stuff. I might buy it once it's discounted. Beyond Good & Evil 2 aims exactly at what I want from a spaace game so I'll wait for that.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

I've only been able to bring myself to play for about 3 hours.  I am so disappointed with this game.

I'm glad others are enjoying it, but it's just not happening for me.

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Soldier

• GTAF Crew
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

I'm just scratching the surface of the periphery by doing data collection. There is a lot of depth but it is a game that requires patients

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:44 PM Edited by fashion, 01 July 2017 - 06:45 PM.

I'm just scratching the surface of the periphery by doing data collection. There is a lot of depth but it is a game that requires patients

I agree. God forbid someone healthy plays this game.
Spoiler

Still haven't bought this. I hear a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff about it. It's still tempting. PSN's bullsh*t purchase policies won't let you get your money back and I really, really don't want to waste my money on sh*t I won't play.
Is a digital download the only option? Haven't seen a physical copy anywhere. I could always trade it back if I don't like it after one day.

JON22
  • JON22

FECK U ALL >:(

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:43 PM

I've only been able to bring myself to play for about 3 hours.  I am so disappointed with this game.

I'm glad others are enjoying it, but it's just not happening for me.

I play the Xbox One version on an off. Can be fun but gets boring if you're not following the main story (which I'm not doing because I have no clue. I just fly to random places and look at shiny things while space trucking cargo. Plus I like space).

You should check Obsidianant on youtube. You need third party tools to find half of the sh*t added in some updates. Currently people are trying to find some alien sh*t and the only way to find it is if you can convert sound from some alien technology into a map which you then have to try and figure out what it means. You can't convert the sound in-game.

I only know that because of Obsidianant.
  • Mister Pink and Furry_Monkey like this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Spoiler

I play the Xbox One version on an off. Can be fun but gets boring if you're not following the main story (which I'm not doing because I have no clue. I just fly to random places and look at shiny things while space trucking cargo. Plus I like space).

You should check Obsidianant on youtube. You need third party tools to find half of the sh*t added in some updates. Currently people are trying to find some alien sh*t and the only way to find it is if you can convert sound from some alien technology into a map which you then have to try and figure out what it means. You can't convert the sound in-game.

I only know that because of Obsidianant.

Thanks - that sounds quite interesting.

I just need to make myself play it more, I think.  I've had this with a few games before and ended up loving them once I got past a steep learning curve, or shifted the way I think about playing.  In this case it's definitely a steep learning curve.  I'm hoping once I get past that I can start to enjoy it.  25 years is too long to wait for a game and then not like it!

• Mister Pink likes this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Ok I admit I can't land I can't do anything without landing aaaarrrggggg!!!!

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:19 PM Edited by bloatedsack, 05 July 2017 - 03:29 PM.

I can't wait. I played the sh*t out of Frontier: Elite 2 from 1993, and I have been following Elite: Dangerous for a long time - and now FINALLY we'll get it on PS4 the end of this month. For me it's the ultimate space sim..

With a username like C64Fanatic, I'm surprised you didn't find Elite 'til 93. I remember playing this back on a Commie in 1985 when it was shiny and new.

I ended up buying this the other day. It's certainly not the same as the old game, you start out with no frame of reference and no direction, suggestions, guide, valid tutorial or even documentation to fall back on. I don't appreciate being forced to run to the Internet every 5 minutes to learn teh next feature, or when something doens't go right, but whatever.

It's certainly got the stink the classic about it, which is nice. I've got my Cobra mk3 and I'm happily space truckin' through the galaxy which is nice. Like the original, once you reach a certain point there's not much to it, but the shine hasn't worn off yet.

It's either the ultimate RPG, or a dismal failure. It depends on what you consider a RPG.

To me, a classic pen and paper RPG'r, its the ultimate RPG. I think most video games that define themselves as RPGs are not, because you're forced to take on whatever character they give you.

It's a completely open concept. You take your spacecraft and do whatever you want. Wanna be a trader? Would you prefer being a pirate? A privateer? A bounty hunter? An explorer? A guy who flies around and fuels up lost idiots? All of those? None of those. Sure. Do it.

Want to help one colony grow? Want to help one of the interstellar empires? Want to do the opposite? Want to be a free agent or just not care? Sure. Do it.

All the options are yours to pursue. There's some sort of massive, overarching, story line happening around you. You can try to partake or you can outright ignore it. It's whatever you want.

Exploring planets:

If you have the "Horizons" version (what the PS4 release is), you can land on planets and deploy a cart to explore it. Will you get to name sh*t and allt hat? No. But you can have the pleasure of being the first one to find a new system or planet, and you get your name stuck on it. NMS seems like an extension of what Elite is if it focussed firmly on landing on worlds and naming flora and fauna.

Ok I admit I can't land I can't do anything without landing aaaarrrggggg!!!!

The old game you only ever docked on space stations. They spun much faster and it was hard to line up and get the spin to zip in. I was delighted in ED when I popped into that first station's entrance with minimal hassle only to find out Ihad to put it on a pad now.

Nope. $4500 on a docking computer. Blue Danube gives me classic feels, evokes 2001, and means I can scratch my junk while it autolands. You start with a free ship and a $10K mission to a neighbouring system. You only gotta land once and you can afford the docking computer. :)

• Mister Pink and deadx23 like this

Slynke
  • Slynke

"Forum Cool Guy"

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Mars

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:04 PM Edited by Slynke, 06 July 2017 - 05:06 PM.

Been playing for a couple days now, and I'm loving it! Already made about $40M in less than a week, although I've spent about $20M of it on ships lol The first few hours were pretty painful as the learning curve is STEEP, but once you get it down it's a pretty interesting game.

I highly recommend doing the training before ever hopping into your game. It will teach you how to land, combat basics, etc. Who starts a game without running the tutorials first, anyways? Noobs.

I only use a docking computer on my transporter ships, as they are quite large and handle like sh*t. But when it comes to my Vipers and Cobra, it's manual landing all day. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, aside from the occasional try-to-deploy-landing-gear-but-boost-instead. If you're having trouble aligning over the landing pad, make sure you are ultilizing your alt controls (click L3). This will change your right stick left-right from turning to strafing. A combination of both controls is the only way to land manually.

• Mister Pink likes this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:22 PM Edited by deadx23, 31 July 2017 - 08:24 PM.

Well so far I'VE bought a ship uh viper mk-something I think (about $300+ k in price) and made over $800k in credits,but I'll be honest im not liking this game .it just feels too grindy and so empty.i haven't been on much but for the sake of spending money on it I will still go on....

Also I refuse to use a docking computer I need all the modules I can use

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:07 AM

-shrug-

I'm having a ball. I've visited the supermassive blackhole in the center of the milky way, the first discovered Thargoid "base" on a planet, discovered and tagged probably over a thousand planets, black holes, neutrons, and made enough that I'm almost ranked Elite in exploration and brought home 260MM credits when I was done.

I'm debating a run to the Zurana, the last discovered generation ship, but am currently dicking around Thargoid space hoping for either an interdiction or at least enough new discoveries to rank up as Elite for Exploration and drop another 50MM or so into my account.

Spoiler
  • Slynke likes this

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

DGmb-qvXoAEu_O_.jpg

That was a few days ago, I'm now alternating between raising my Trading up with a multi-role Python and raising my Combat up with a dedicated Fer de Lance, with all FdL time at the current CGs, I'm up to "Novice' in combat. Once this CG ends I'll probably go back to opportunity based wrecking house at USSes while trading in the Python again.

Still couldn't be happier with ED. This came at the right time when everything else has gotten stagnant or polluted by a sh*t playerbase.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Work hard, mustard big

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Finally hopped aboard earlier today, and wow. So much of the look and feel reminds me of Wing Commander (particularly the dogfighting), and I love all the pedantic little details like having to get clearance for landing/docking, air traffic control nagging you about your flight speed or not having your landing gear down (it's almost like I suck at landing or something! :p), and ...getting fined 50 credits nary five minutes into the game, when I accidentally fired my lasers (into open space - no harm done! :whistle:) near the starting spaceport. :turn:

I've been taking it slowly so far - seeing which missions require stuff dropping off in the next system over, and hopping from port to port in order to stay within fuel range, while I get the hang of things and scrape together enough credits to get a proper ship. The Hauler looks like my kind of thing, and I'll probably pick up an Eagle after that for some light law enforcement duty...

(and whoa, is the camera suite nice - not just for pic-taking, but also just to be able to admire all the visuals from every angle)

Commander S
  • Commander S

Work hard, mustard big

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:36 AM Edited by Commander S, 20 August 2017 - 01:11 PM.

...ooh, neato!  :orly:

New hairstyles (including a whole bunch of long tied/curly styles - take that, GTAO! :p), some as-of-yet-unrevealed outfit options (wonder if that's new outfits entirely, or just new accessories over the top of the base Remlock suit), and that nifty thing that Saints Row did, and more games need to include: slots to save multiple custom characters!

Heck, I've not even gotten around to fiddling with my character - haven't even resprayed my ship yet... That's going to be so very, very cool when 2.4 goes live across the board.

Just picked up a Hauler - haven't gotten around to repainting it yet (might hold off on skin packs and suit colours until the inevitable Black Friday discounts), but it's going to wind up looking like a mini Space Shuttle when I'm done with it...

ktIbDcP.png

GameChristopher
  • GameChristopher

Cayne

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by GameChristopher, 4 weeks ago.

Oh man, I'm excited that a lot of my friends get to play this now. I love Elite. I was streaming it earlier today (www.twitch.tv/filthyandfree -- just gameplay, no commentary, hate that garbage) and it's crazy how even the simplest missions can take on a somewhat epic tone halfway through just because of the atmosphere.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Work hard, mustard big

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's what I'm enjoying about it - aside from the 'Firefly meets BSG meets Wing Commander' feel of everything, it's the emergent stories that come out it, like the time I had to pick up some landmines for a station, only to be told the were illegal in that station. :dontgetit: Cue me throwing speed limits out of the window, and just barging through the mail slot at 200 to avoid the scans and inevitable fine...  :miranda:  That, or a bounty hunting job where one of the backup thugs dropped into orbit near the beacon I was scanning, clearly hadn't noticed me (normally they wait until you're in supercruise and interdict you), and I ended up getting the drop on him.

Really enjoy some of the views, too - like the different flavours of station interior (everything from full Mass Effect Citadel vistas to something more like a scene from Blade Runner), or getting to play around with the SRV. Need to mess around with the camera options a bit more, but it's so good for space tourism - and I like being able to play with the camera settings in-game, rather than having to record footage and do so afterwards, like with Halo/GTA:

6dmLQcm.png

mDbkbUP.png

^ Latest new toy - and a quick visit to the Leonard Nimoy memorial station, which was so very cool. At some point I have to make the journey to both Pratchett's Disc and Fisher's Rest, too...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users