Assassin's Creed: Origins [2017]

89 replies to this topic
DerangedCrackhead
  • DerangedCrackhead

punk de molde

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Assassins Creed made me lose almost all interest when they downgraded the controls. In a game where climbing plays such a big role, simplifying every move, from jumping to gripping, into just pressing a key kills half of the gameplay.

I think AC III was the first installment that implemented the simpler controls, I remember getting bored of it real fast in consequence.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

Assassins Creed made me lose almost all interest when they downgraded the controls. In a game where climbing plays such a big role, simplifying every move, from jumping to gripping, into just pressing a key kills half of the gameplay.

I think AC III was the first installment that implemented the simpler controls, I remember getting bored of it real fast in consequence.

Literally every AC game has been holding one button and the joystick to free run.

• El Diablo and MrBellicLC like this

DerangedCrackhead
  • DerangedCrackhead

punk de molde

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Literally every AC game has been holding one button and the joystick to free run.

The first AC games had a little more complex parkour system if I recall correctly; you frequently had to jump manually, move horizontally or grab to overhands to avoid falling. There was a little more freedom of movement when you were doing parkour, now the game automatically does everything for you, you feel much more directed than before.

• HaythamKenway likes this

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

Choose your enemies carefully because they will define you

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

I just don't want those stupid Unity and syndicate jumping animations in Origins. Arno and Jacob can beat long jump and high jump records in Olympics. Also that stupid scrambling on vertical walls looks more like spiderman.

DexPac
  • DexPac

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

The first AC games had a little more complex parkour system if I recall correctly; you frequently had to jump manually, move horizontally or grab to overhands to avoid falling. There was a little more freedom of movement when you were doing parkour, now the game automatically does everything for you, you feel much more directed than before.

Originally it was hold RT to run hold RT and A to climb. AC III got rid of the hold A part. It didn't really change much (I still held A out of instinct anyway) but it cut down on the amount of times the character would just leap off to his death.

I really like the current system where you still hold RT to climb but now hitting A has you climb up and B has you climb down.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, at the time it was rather frustrating as it seemed like half of the time, Ezio had his own mind and just wanted to commit suicide the amount of times he would jump in the total wrong direction to where I was pressing, but I did seriously miss it when it was dumbed down in the series.

My interest in AC weaned after AC2/Brotherhood - Just became yet another current gaming series that felt over-saturated - different settings etc, yet the gameplay and everything within just felt so samey, and often enough was laden with bugs or annoying features.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:45 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 13 June 2017 - 10:49 PM.

Originally it was hold RT to run hold RT and A to climb. AC III got rid of the hold A part. It didn't really change much (I still held A out of instinct anyway) but it cut down on the amount of times the character would just leap off to his death.

I really like the current system where you still hold RT to climb but now hitting A has you climb up and B has you climb down.

There was a certain rhythm to freerunning in pre-AC III games. It was just basic input and it wasn't anything to master, but having to time jumps, grab ledges, weave through the crowd or do leapgrabs was something to break the monotony of just pushing a button and tilting the analog stick and letting the game do everything for you.

III and then Unity made movement more responsive, but also removed that basic level of player interaction. The drastic reduction of climbing puzzles only exacerbated that. You don't really need to maintain even just that basic awareness while running or pay attention to the structure of the building you're climbing on.

And now Origins is taking it to the next level by emulating Breath of the Wild. Fine, traversal will be faster, more seamless. No more obstructions. I grew tolerant of III's changes over the years and freerunning in these games is still fun after all. Especially Unity's revamped movement gave a tremendous feeling of gracious elegance, speed and control while bolting across the rooftops. But it wasn't always like this, the PoP roots of the series used to be quite noticeable in the first couple of games.

• Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:00 AM

This game looks good I don't really play a lot of AC but I might get this

also...

Spoiler

• El Diablo and Stellasin like this

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:59 AM Edited by Stellasin, 14 June 2017 - 05:59 AM.

This game looks good I don't really play a lot of AC but I might get this

also...

Spoiler

They seriously need to change his face a bit lol. His face literally shows no emotions. At least Connor showed anger.

MrBellicLC
  • MrBellicLC

Crackhead

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:26 PM Edited by MrBellicLC, 14 June 2017 - 12:27 PM.

Nine Cool Things I Noticed While Playing Assassin's Creed Origins

http://kotaku.com/ni...cree-1796071356

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:48 PM Edited by Stellasin, 14 June 2017 - 12:48 PM.

The apple was possibly built in the nose of the sphinx and the enemy boss broke it and took it? Just a speculation 

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:18 PM Edited by Versous, 14 June 2017 - 03:20 PM.

Impressed by how good this looks. Of course makes one wonder how it'll compare to RDR2. Gameplay needs that upgrade though. Animations and combat aren't the best.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:30 PM Edited by The Yokel, 15 June 2017 - 01:32 PM.

Hopefully the final product will play better than this, because frankly this looks abysmal for a AAA title just a few months from release:

It just looks clunky, half-assed and nowhere near as good as the first E3 gameplay footage that they've shown.

• Payne Killer likes this

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hopefully the final product will play better than this, because frankly this looks abysmal for a AAA title just a few months from release:

It just looks clunky, half-assed and nowhere near as good as the first E3 gameplay footage that they've shown.

They are trying to make the game more like an RPG. It's not like the standard Assassin's Creed where you press a button and a string of animations follow which kills the enemy. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

They are trying to make the game more like an RPG. It's not like the standard Assassin's Creed where you press a button and a string of animations follow which kills the enemy.

I get that and I do appreciate it. But this is just subpar. The animations are bad, sometimes it appears as if they're missing, there's a lot of clipping and a lot of problems with the camera. Also it looks like lock on doesn't work very well, the guy keeps missing and swinging in the direction completely opposite of the enemy. I can only hope that they'll fix these things by the time the game is out.

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

I get that and I do appreciate it. But this is just subpar. The animations are bad, sometimes it appears as if they're missing, there's a lot of clipping and a lot of problems with the camera. Also it looks like lock on doesn't work very well, the guy keeps missing and swinging in the direction completely opposite of the enemy. I can only hope that they'll fix these things by the time the game is out.

Have you played Skyrim?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

Have you played Skyrim?

That's a game from 2011.

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

Have you played Skyrim?

That's a game from 2011.

Okay what about Fallout 4?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

Have you played Skyrim?

That's a game from 2011.

I played it for about 15-20h and never touched it again. It's a piece of sh*t.

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

Have you played Skyrim?

That's a game from 2011.

I played it for about 15-20h and never touched it again. It's a piece of sh*t.

Maybe you're not used to RPG's. People are appreciating the new combat system of AC origins. 

• MrBellicLC likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • Cook-Islands

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

I don't want AC to become more RPG-oriented but I'll judge upon release.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Maybe you're not used to RPG's.

That's funny.

• Turan likes this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

The combat doesn't look polished enough, but I certainly like it a lot more than the boring combat in the previous installments. Kudos for them trying something new, I hope it works out. 

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:12 PM Edited by Versous, 16 June 2017 - 02:14 PM.

I don't want AC to become more RPG-oriented but I'll judge upon release.

Well RPG oriented in terms of side content like quests and so on is not a bad thing... but combat wise I want them Soul Calibur mechanics from 3rd person view lol. Now THAT would be fun ..ehrm to me at least

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Stellasin, 4 weeks ago.

Nothing Ive seen so far stood out. The eagle is literally a copied and pasted drone from watchdogs, the combat looks clunky as sin, and the world design looks extremely uninspired in every way possible

Well Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed are completely different games. They wanted to give a new feel instead of the same old eagle vision. Only the movement of the eagle is same as the drone. Combat was made to be more RPG style. It just needs to be polished a little bit. Games like Witcher and Dark Souls have a similar style of combat. World design is very good tbh. I don't really understand how you hate it.

they wanted to give players new creative experiences by....using mechanics from other Ubi games? The combat shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as those games. Its (again) uninspired and extremely janky. Theyre gonna have to do a lot of work to get rid of that jank.

---------------------------------------------------------

So you're saying that Egypt looks uninspired? There are pyramids, the Sphinx, the nile river and tons of other stuff. How exactly is that uninspired and janky? It's very accurate to ancient egypt. Combat once again is more RPG style and needs to be polished. The eagle doesn't have four propellers and a remote control to fly. It's a living thing. The mechanics are not the same. They only move in the same way. Fly higher, lower, left, right, front and back. Is an eagle restricted to do that? Also there is no range limit like the drone. You can fly anywhere you want.

highzman420
  • highzman420

What we lose in the fire, We will find in the ashes.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Nothing Ive seen so far stood out. The eagle is literally a copied and pasted drone from watchdogs, the combat looks clunky as sin, and the world design looks extremely uninspired in every way possible

Well Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed are completely different games. They wanted to give a new feel instead of the same old eagle vision. Only the movement of the eagle is same as the drone. Combat was made to be more RPG style. It just needs to be polished a little bit. Games like Witcher and Dark Souls have a similar style of combat. World design is very good tbh. I don't really understand how you hate it.

they wanted to give players new creative experiences by....using mechanics from other Ubi games? The combat shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as those games. Its (again) uninspired and extremely janky. Theyre gonna have to do a lot of work to get rid of that jank.

So you're saying that Egypt looks uninspired? There are pyramids, the Sphinx, the nile river and tons of other stuff. How exactly is that uninspired and janky? It's very accurate to ancient egypt. Combat once again is more RPG style and needs to be polished. The eagle doesn't have four propellers and a remote control to fly. It's a living thing. The mechanics are not the same. They only move in the same way. Fly higher, lower, left, right, front and back. Is an eagle restricted to do that? Also there is no range limit like the drone. You can fly anywhere you want.
The eagle us nothing new for Ubisoft games its just a drone from Ghost Reacon, the combat will be moves from For Honor. Ubisoft open wirlds are so bland and dull. Nothing innovative at all. Same graphic level for the last 3 games? Cmon bro

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

The eagle us nothing new for Ubisoft games its just a drone from Ghost Reacon, the combat will be moves from For Honor. Ubisoft open wirlds are so bland and dull. Nothing innovative at all. Same graphic level for the last 3 games? Cmon bro

Didn't you read above? An eagle is not a drone. Eagle is a bird and drone is a gadget. For Honor and Origins don't have the exact same moves. The wilds of the Far Cry games are one of the best. You're saying that Watch_Dogs 2, Ghost Recon etc don't look good? You can't expect CGI graphics in games. Graphics in gaming are slowly developing. Even RDR2 doesn't look extremely real. If they would make super real graphics, people with low end PC's can never play the game.

• MrBellicLC likes this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by DeeDogg_, 4 weeks ago.

ever play prince of persia? And besides, location doesnt matter when its basically the same game as previous entries. And by copy pasted drone, I mean it controls EXACTLY like the drone in watchDogs. They straight up ripped the mechanic from WatchDogs and Wildlands. Yes they are the same. What eagle can stop mid air to spot enemies? Have you even watched the gameplay vids before posting?

Ohhh you can fly everywhere now? Now thats creative! Pats on the back Ubi. I dont see the need to fly everywhere with a bird thats only purpose is to mark people

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

ever play prince of persia? And besides, location doesnt matter when its basically the same game as previous entries. And by copy pasted drone, I mean it controls EXACTLY like the drone in watchDogs. They straight up ripped the mechanic from WatchDogs and Wildlands. Yes they are the same. What eagle can stop mid air to spot enemies? Have you even watched the gameplay vids before posting?

Ohhh you can fly everywhere now? Now thats creative! Pats on the back Ubi. I dont see the need to fly everywhere with a bird thats only purpose is to mark people

Location doesn't matter? Now you want ezio in egypt? Location is one of the most important thing in assassins creed. Egypt is perfect for origins. How exactly do you want to tag enemies then? If the eagle doesn't stop mid-air you can never tag an enemy. Eagle's can stop in mid air in real life:

Nobody is forcing you to always be with the eagle. It's your wish if you want to fly around. Do you remember the pigeon flight gameplay from Battlefield 1? It looked so good in a war game. Just imagine how it would be to fly around with an eagle in ancient egypt.

• ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 4 weeks ago.

Location doesn't matter? Now you want ezio in egypt? Location is one of the most important thing in assassins creed. Egypt is perfect for origins. How exactly do you want to tag enemies then? If the eagle doesn't stop mid-air you can never tag an enemy. Eagle's can stop in mid air in real life:

Nobody is forcing you to always be with the eagle. It's your wish if you want to fly around. Do you remember the pigeon flight gameplay from Battlefield 1? It looked so good in a war game. Just imagine how it would be to fly around with an eagle in ancient egypt.

Not to mention its much more immersive and cooler than the eagle vision. I don't see the problem if they reuse their mechanics as long as each game feels different and unique. I mean no body is complaining about how RDR and GTA5 is similiar gameplay wise (but GTA5 is a bit worse).

• Stellasin and MrBellicLC like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users