What if GTA III was cancelled?

21 replies to this topic
MythicalCreature
  • MythicalCreature

meh

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

GTA III released only a few weeks after 9/11, and there were a few changes made to the game because of the incident. However from a few old interviews and articles that I'm too lazy to link to here, the housers were originally planning to cancel the game altogether. The whole country was rocked by the incident after all, and the Housers had witnessed the event from their own apartment windows too, so the emotional mindset behind not wanting to release such a violent game after such a horrific event sort of makes sense. Thankfully for gamers they didn't cancel it as Take-Two (was it Take-Two?) convinced them to make a few changes and release the game, and GTA III legendarily broke new grounds in gaming.

But what if Rockstar had cancelled the release of GTA III after all? How would it have impacted their future releases? Would there even be a GTA game after III's cancellation? How would the landscape of the gaming industry be like today?
What do you think?
  • thehambone likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

Osho's Assassin

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:14 AM

This is a good example of the butterfly effect I think.;)

I believe the landscape would be very different if GTA III was cancelled. However I still think the genre would've thrived because games like Mafia would've picked up the ball and ran with it.

• Rafae, thehambone and DimitriFaustin like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:27 AM Edited by universetwisters, 10 June 2017 - 01:27 AM.

I would scream and scream and scream in the middle of Target until I piss myself and get asked to leave by the management.

But seriously tho, like MVC said just because Rockstar didn't do it first that doesn't mean that the whole open world genre would be ruined. Remember that Mafia and even The Getaway were being worked on at around the same time, so they probably would become the gold standard for sandbox crime games, with GTA as we know it being called a "Getaway/Driver/Mafia clone" or just not existing at all.

• Algonquin Assassin, Jinx., Zello and 4 others like this

Ron Horse
  • Ron Horse

What're you doin', givin' birth?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

Maybe the Driver series would have not become total sh*t.

• iLLYHiGHROLLER, ProKiller93 and DOUGL4S1 like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:38 AM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 10 June 2017 - 01:39 AM.

Someone else would've made a 3D open-world game, without this GTA Monopoly, maybe Driver, at least in the begining. And this Forum would either not exist or die a few months after, so it would probably be a good thing to society.

(Joke plz no hate)

• DimitriFaustin and StormBreaker like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

Well, we'd still have the 2D GTAs wondering what could have been, not to mention this forum wouldn't really be buzzing unless it chose to adapt to being just a discussion place for

2D GTA fans. And the Housers/Leslie B./other associated people would be unheard of, let alone be stinking rich.

I'm kind of divided as to if someone else would really pick up the whole concept afterwards, considering very few people would want to deliberately cause controversy the way

Rockstar has with the GTA series to draw more attention and profit. Even Sam Houser was reluctant to allow DMA to continue with the production of the first GTA back then when he

headed BMG Interactive.

Then again, most video game developers are quite frankly too much of a coward to even want San Andreas Hot Coffee mod-level controversy and uproar on their hands,

which says a lot about Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

I don't think Mafia could have caused any controversy. It depicted gangland prohibition-era shootings, unlike GTA where it's just madmen running around the present.

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:50 AM Edited by DimitriFaustin, 10 June 2017 - 10:50 AM.

I don't think Mafia could have caused any controversy. It depicted gangland prohibition-era shootings, unlike GTA where it's just madmen running around the present.

Mafia 2 has been called for to be banned by various people because they were supposedly "unfairly stereotypical." This reminds me of the Yakuza series (Japan's been trying to get rid of all Yakuza

influence, even if that means banning video games portaying the yakuza in any light). From what I've read, Mafia 3 really polarized people for going for a non-traditional setting and an African-American

protagonist.

http://www.eurogamer...or-mafia-ii-ban

https://www.washingt...m=.8e2c7feaed5b

To be honest, the only thing that's "unfair" and really sad is how people are seemingly so polarized these days.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Then there would be no future GTA's. kek.

• DimitriFaustin likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:57 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 11 June 2017 - 01:58 PM.

Then there would be no future GTA's. kek.

Not really, Vice City was probably already being planned around this time, so maybe Rockstar would focus on that and abandon the Liberty City setting until the 9/11 trauma and paranoia isn't as big of a thing. They would have much less budget for the game, so we would probably see another GTA, probably even Vice City, just not the Vice City we have today.

I wish I had Rick's portal gun...

• MythicalCreature and ProKiller93 like this

Ron Horse
  • Ron Horse

What're you doin', givin' birth?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

We'd all be playing Race'n'Chase Online.

• Payne Killer, The Deadite and DimitriFaustin like this

mzt
  • mzt

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:56 AM Edited by mzt, 12 June 2017 - 09:57 AM.

I think that open worlds would be built around functionality rather than environments unto themselves, and probably average at the size of Bully's open world, and the larger ones the size and detail of IV's Algonquin. 

The moral crusaders might be more prevalent if GTA hadn't been around to pull mainstream video games away from those considerations.

• Ryder 12 likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:31 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 12 June 2017 - 10:32 PM.

Poeple would think that Saint's Row is the best.

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:40 PM Edited by Donatello, 13 June 2017 - 08:18 PM.

No Big Smoke memes.
  • StormBreaker likes this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

IV fanboys wouldn't exist and V fanboys won't be crying. And, Online wouldn't exist, if only.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Mr_Rager and StormBreaker like this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Gaming industry: 

There will be a way around sandboxing, maybe not as great... Developers will still see their competition and implement some great parts of their gameplay unnecessarily into their games.

Me: 

My intuition with detecting criminals in real life wouldn't be as great and I would easily fall for any lies the news would provide.

DJThanos
  • DJThanos

THAT'S A MEMBER TITLE

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Driver 3 would have been a better game, but I think Atari would still force Reflections to release it earlier.

Ryhan'ZFX
  • Ryhan'ZFX

Crackhead

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

what if? did you mean that gta 3 is considered as revolutionalized gaming? dunno but these brits brother would've been worked with ea and make a serious sh*tty games, i prefer wonder that i hope Battlefield were published and developed by rockstar...i mean look at it, it has all the ingredients of making such "Revolutionalize" game, for example the vehicle thing and free roam also the craziest online MP i ever had (i also played BF1942 and BF2)...but ea failed to executed it, but well you know rockstar always succeed to execute something, i preffered this WHAT IF theory sorry if a bit off topic and the sh*tty grammar...
Ciao

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

Osho's Assassin

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

IV fanboys wouldn't exist.

We'd still exist just as a different species.
  • Zello and Payne Killer like this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

They said real nikkas was dead but this nikka be alive.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Some people could of had a productive and social life instead. It wouldn't be that bad.

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

the gta series would be 100% benz free
  • DimitriFaustin likes this

NicholasInfante1992
  • NicholasInfante1992

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

The Grand Theft Auto series would of been forgotten and faded into obscurity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users