Theory: Claude doesn't know English?

50 replies to this topic
stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:37 AM

I think that somebody fromghe mods should make a pinned topic with the questions for GTA3 answered by R* in 2011 and make it required fo reading before posting here.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Driver was a crap, driver 2 was nothing like GTA3 you couldnt walk around, only drive.

Also dont get me started on the later driver when he could walk around, he moved like he had sh*t himself, you cannot compare that garbage to gta.

• Dexolux likes this

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

Van Society Member and Lucid Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

I Can re-use my previous post: Was it as massive as GTA 3? Nope!

You know it could've been as massive as GTA 3 without the competition from Rockstar right

What does that even mean?

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

You can find talking main characters in a lot of video games released before GTA 3 without it looks unnatural.

Rockstar's explanation doesn't convince me. Many things make me think they didn't except the game to bring them much money so they didn't spend a lot of money on it.

And yet, people were totally convinced that GTA III was "innovative." To be honest, the only thing "innovative & ground-breaking" was R*'s marketing savvy.

What a load of crap what else was there in 2001 that came close to GTA3? only other games that had hints of gta3 was Body Harvest and Space Station Silicone Valley on N64 and they where made by DMA

This is rather strange - you know of DMA but it appears as if you don't know of the 2D GTAs. The ice cream truck jingle can be heard in the Downtown District of GTA 2.

In fact, I think it originated in the original GTA or some previous game they made. DMA had a history of copying sounds in their games.

Plenty of games came close to GTA III in terms of gameplay and fun factor.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Driver was a crap, driver 2 was nothing like GTA3 you couldnt walk around, only drive.
Also dont get me started on the later driver when he could walk around, he moved like he had sh*t himself, you cannot compare that garbage to gta.

You could walk around in Driver 2

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

This argument of making Claude mute so the player identifies more with him is just crap.

• Jeansowaty likes this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Darealbandicoot, 4 days ago.

I honestly thought he didn't speak for two reasons: He doesn't really have to as he isn't asked outright to talk and that Catalina shot him in the throat. When Vice City came out for a week or two I thought that it was a direct prequel to 3 as in Claude was Tommy 😂

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 6 days ago

I honestly thought he didn't speak for two reasons: He doesn't really have to as he isn't asked outright to talk and that Carolina shot him in the throat. When Vice City came out for a week or two I thought that it was a direct prequel to 3 as in Claude was Tommy

Her name is Catalina and Claude doesn't speak neither in GTA San Andreas even if the action takes place 9 years before GTA 3. :pp

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Darealbandicoot, 4 days ago.

Lol Carolina😂 Auto correct is horrible haha. True he doesn't speak in san andreas but he doesn't really have to since he isn't asked anything and Catalina is doing the talking for both of them but I find it quite funny how on earth he even got into a relationship with Catalina in the first place without ever saying a word 😂

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 days ago

It's not mandatory to have a reason behind Claude's lack of speech. Rockstar have already said it's because they were focused on other aspects and put off a vocal protagonist until the next game. He was not shot in the throat, or retarded, or can't understand English. He just doesn't talk and that's it.

• Leone Family likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 4 days ago

here is Rockstars answer.

Here's the link --> http://www.rockstarg...claude-dar.html

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

It's not mandatory to have a reason behind Claude's lack of speech. Rockstar have already said it's because they were focused on other aspects and put off a vocal protagonist until the next game. He was not shot in the throat, or retarded, or can't understand English. He just doesn't talk and that's it.

But its fun to speculate right? After all R* wanted US to identify with him so whatever in game reason why Claude doesn't speak is up to you, the player. At least thats how I see it.
  • Dexolux likes this

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

Van Society Member and Lucid Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 4 days ago

But its fun to speculate right? After all R* wanted US to identify with him so whatever in game reason why Claude doesn't speak is up to you, the player. At least thats how I see it.

That's one good way of seeing it! :) 

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 days ago

I have trouble identifying with Claude because he's a mass-murdering lunatic in a ridiculous parody world. I never figured that the player was supposed to "be" Claude like the player is supposed to "be" Gordon Freeman (in fact, Freeman was only drawn for the box art when Sierra's marketing department insisted on it). Claude is never in a situation where he has to talk. That's part of his world. If I remember right, Cash from Manhunt didn't find his voice until two thirds of the way through the game, and that was only to explain why he wouldn't leave Carcer City with the Journalist, which anybody in their right mind would do in a heartbeat.

Claude has no room to speak in the game, and if it was shoe-horned in at the last minute via a request from Take 2 or something like that, the game would have suffered as a whole.

• thehambone likes this

G8 B8 M8
  • G8 B8 M8

i r8 8/8

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A day ago Edited by G8 B8 M8, A day ago.

GTA III: 2001

GTA VC: 2002

- GTA 3 Don't have bikes and claude don't talk

- This means rockstar propositally left this two things to GTA VC to cause more impact in the release

Conclusion: GTA 3 just existed to rockstar earn more money, now we know why the game is boring as hell with a mediocre replay value.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted A day ago

Lol Carolina Auto correct is horrible haha. True he doesn't speak in san andreas but he doesn't really have to since he isn't asked anything and Catalina is doing the talking for both of them but I find it quite funny how on earth he even got into a relationship with Catalina in the first place without ever saying a word

Catalina and Claude prefer letting the powder speak.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 19 hours ago Edited by stef_92, 19 hours ago.

I think that GTAForums should consider hiring a special moderator for the GTA 3 forum to watch for any new topics about why Claude doesn't speak and delete them. Also a sticky topic with R*'s official explanation would be a good thing. It's been 6 years since they answered that question, come on... any child born at that day is going to school this year.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 hours ago

- This means rockstar propositally left this two things to GTA VC to cause more impact in the release

Conclusion: GTA 3 just existed to rockstar earn more money, now we know why the game is boring as hell with a mediocre replay value.

so you're telling me they spent four years developing the first proper 3d open world game just to leave out bikes/speech so it could be put in the next game for "impact" which was then rushed out in about 9 months?

• thehambone likes this

G8 B8 M8
  • G8 B8 M8

i r8 8/8

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 hours ago Edited by G8 B8 M8, 3 hours ago.

so you're telling me they spent four years developing the first proper 3d open world game just to leave out bikes/speech so it could be put in the next game for "impact" which was then rushed out in about 9 months?

Yeah, GTA VC pratically has been developed together with GTA 3, GTA 3 don't have bikes and one claude with voice to show a technology innovation in GTA VC, i say the same for the planes, without these GTA VC would be the same as GTA 3 in gameplay.

Also i think four years are too much to develop a basic open world game like GTA III, four years to develop a bug itself, heh.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 41 minutes ago Edited by spaceeinstein, A minute ago.

Why not also apply your logic for VC->SA and say R* held off implementing features for VC? SA was practically developed alongside with VC. Do you consider VC to be mediocre and boring because it lacks features of SA? SA would be the same as VC gameplay-wise without those features. You can apply your logic to all subsequent games and then no game can be considered fun.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 13 minutes ago Edited by blaze, 11 minutes ago.

Yeah, GTA VC pratically has been developed together with GTA 3, GTA 3 don't have bikes and one claude with voice to show a technology innovation in GTA VC, i say the same for the planes, without these GTA VC would be the same as GTA 3 in gameplay.

Also i think four years are too much to develop a basic open world game like GTA III, four years to develop a bug itself, heh.

VC was originally developed as an expansion pack for III which compared to the time between GTA2 and GTA3 had a pretty quick release, to say they'd starve the first 3D open world game of two features to show a "technology innovation" in Vice City is moronic when III literally changed the industry. Technology innovation? Literally every main/sub character in III spoke minus Claude. Four years too much?

CivilianMeteor-GTA2.PNGGTA-3-PC-Game-2.jpeg

yeah that four years of progression aint worth sh*t.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users