Theory: Claude doesn't know English?

42 replies to this topic
stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think that somebody fromghe mods should make a pinned topic with the questions for GTA3 answered by R* in 2011 and make it required fo reading before posting here.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Driver was a crap, driver 2 was nothing like GTA3 you couldnt walk around, only drive.

Also dont get me started on the later driver when he could walk around, he moved like he had sh*t himself, you cannot compare that garbage to gta.

• Dexolux likes this

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

Van Society Member and Lucid Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 4 weeks ago

I Can re-use my previous post: Was it as massive as GTA 3? Nope!

You know it could've been as massive as GTA 3 without the competition from Rockstar right

What does that even mean?

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

You can find talking main characters in a lot of video games released before GTA 3 without it looks unnatural.

Rockstar's explanation doesn't convince me. Many things make me think they didn't except the game to bring them much money so they didn't spend a lot of money on it.

And yet, people were totally convinced that GTA III was "innovative." To be honest, the only thing "innovative & ground-breaking" was R*'s marketing savvy.

What a load of crap what else was there in 2001 that came close to GTA3? only other games that had hints of gta3 was Body Harvest and Space Station Silicone Valley on N64 and they where made by DMA

This is rather strange - you know of DMA but it appears as if you don't know of the 2D GTAs. The ice cream truck jingle can be heard in the Downtown District of GTA 2.

In fact, I think it originated in the original GTA or some previous game they made. DMA had a history of copying sounds in their games.

Plenty of games came close to GTA III in terms of gameplay and fun factor.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Driver was a crap, driver 2 was nothing like GTA3 you couldnt walk around, only drive.
Also dont get me started on the later driver when he could walk around, he moved like he had sh*t himself, you cannot compare that garbage to gta.

You could walk around in Driver 2

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 4 weeks ago

This argument of making Claude mute so the player identifies more with him is just crap.

• Jeansowaty likes this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Darealbandicoot, A day ago.

I honestly thought he didn't speak for two reasons: He doesn't really have to as he isn't asked outright to talk and that Catalina shot him in the throat. When Vice City came out for a week or two I thought that it was a direct prequel to 3 as in Claude was Tommy 😂

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 2 days ago

I honestly thought he didn't speak for two reasons: He doesn't really have to as he isn't asked outright to talk and that Carolina shot him in the throat. When Vice City came out for a week or two I thought that it was a direct prequel to 3 as in Claude was Tommy

Her name is Catalina and Claude doesn't speak neither in GTA San Andreas even if the action takes place 9 years before GTA 3. :pp

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago Edited by Darealbandicoot, A day ago.

Lol Carolina😂 Auto correct is horrible haha. True he doesn't speak in san andreas but he doesn't really have to since he isn't asked anything and Catalina is doing the talking for both of them but I find it quite funny how on earth he even got into a relationship with Catalina in the first place without ever saying a word 😂

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A day ago

It's not mandatory to have a reason behind Claude's lack of speech. Rockstar have already said it's because they were focused on other aspects and put off a vocal protagonist until the next game. He was not shot in the throat, or retarded, or can't understand English. He just doesn't talk and that's it.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Graphics / Visual Arts Staff

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted A day ago

here is Rockstars answer.

Here's the link --> http://www.rockstarg...claude-dar.html

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

It's not mandatory to have a reason behind Claude's lack of speech. Rockstar have already said it's because they were focused on other aspects and put off a vocal protagonist until the next game. He was not shot in the throat, or retarded, or can't understand English. He just doesn't talk and that's it.

But its fun to speculate right? After all R* wanted US to identify with him so whatever in game reason why Claude doesn't speak is up to you, the player. At least thats how I see it.
  • Dexolux likes this

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

Van Society Member and Lucid Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Italy

Posted A day ago

But its fun to speculate right? After all R* wanted US to identify with him so whatever in game reason why Claude doesn't speak is up to you, the player. At least thats how I see it.

That's one good way of seeing it! :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users