Photo

Theory: Claude doesn't know English?

50 replies to this topic
The Lone Spirit
  • The Lone Spirit

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:43 AM Edited by The Lone Spirit, 09 June 2017 - 08:50 AM.

I recently discovered that "Claude" is a common French name, it originates from the Roman emperor Claudius, and according to Wikipedia "Claudius" means "limping" or "stuttering", which is a pretty coincidence because Claude doesn't limp but he never speaks and that to me is roughly similar.

It is possible that Claude may actually be a French criminal who moved to San Andreas, maybe he can understand English, but just cannot speak or pronounce it, like how I can understand Persian but cannot speak it.

I hope this doesn't sound racist but people from France tend to have more higher-pitched voice than the rest of the world, and if you listen to Claude falling or taking damage sounds, when he says "ugh" it does sound high-pitched.

This sounds like a rubbish theory but still, could be possible.

• Leone Family likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

I think if you live in a country for 9 years, you'd probably want to learn the basics of the language to communicate with someone, and he was probably living in San Andreas for longer since he managed to get a romance with Catalina and even managed to buy a garage, not an easy thing to do without saying a word. My bet is that he doesn't speak in San Andreas because that's probably the best thing to do when your girlfriend presents you her second boyfriend and soon to be ex. In III, I think he doesn't speak because Catalina's shot in his throat destroyed his vocal chords.

• Jeansowaty, Leone Family, The_Human and 1 other like this

thehambone
  • thehambone

Don't remind me of home Or I might notice where I am

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:42 PM Edited by thehambone, 09 June 2017 - 03:44 PM.

If Claude didn't know English, how would he be able to understand the orders given to him and complete missions?

In III, I think he doesn't speak because Catalina's shot in his throat destroyed his vocal chords.

Well, I don't know about that. In SA, Carl called him a "mute asshole" and a "motherf*cking snake without a tongue", which would imply that he was mute as far back as 1992.
  • The_Human likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

If Claude didn't know English, how would he be able to understand the orders given to him and complete missions?

In III, I think he doesn't speak because Catalina's shot in his throat destroyed his vocal chords.

Well, I don't know about that. In SA, Carl called him a "mute asshole" and a "motherf*cking snake without a tongue", which would imply that he was mute as far back as 1992.

Carl probably said that because Claude didn't say anything, which doesn't mean that he can't talk.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:43 PM Edited by ViceBoy69, 09 June 2017 - 05:44 PM.

Muteness or mutism (from Latin mutus, meaning 'silent') is an inability to speak, often caused by a speech disorder, hearing loss, or surgery. Someone who is mute may be so due to the unwillingness to speak in certain social situations.

Those who are physically mute may have problems with the parts of the human body required for human speech (the esophagusvocal cordslungsmouth, or tongue, etc.).

Trauma or injury to Broca's area, located in the left inferior frontal cortex of the brain, can cause muteness.[1]

Doesnt state where he was shot, maybe he was shot in the head ?

just my thoughts.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:22 AM Edited by Evil empire, 6 days ago.

It is possible that Claude may actually be a French criminal who moved to San Andreas, maybe he can understand English, but just cannot speak or pronounce it, like how I can understand Persian but cannot speak it.

I hope this doesn't sound racist but people from France tend to have more higher-pitched voice than the rest of the world, and if you listen to Claude falling or taking damage sounds, when he says "ugh" it does sound high-pitched.

This sounds like a rubbish theory but still, could be possible.

Claude's name is Delia Questia which doesn't sound very french.

We don't speak a more high-pitched way than the other people of the world in France.

Maybe do you have this point of view because most francophones stress the vowels more than the consonants.

The lusophones have a very high-pitch voice more oftenly than the others.

Since the 2D-era GTA's didn't meet a great success Rockstar probably didn't want to spend too much money on the n°3 and chose not to hire anyone for the main character's voice acting.

The Lone Spirit
  • The Lone Spirit

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:11 AM Edited by The Lone Spirit, 10 June 2017 - 11:12 AM.

I think if you live in a country for 9 years, you'd probably want to learn the basics of the language to communicate with someone, and he was probably living in San Andreas for longer since he managed to get a romance with Catalina and even managed to buy a garage, not an easy thing to do without saying a word. My bet is that he doesn't speak in San Andreas because that's probably the best thing to do when your girlfriend presents you her second boyfriend and soon to be ex. In III, I think he doesn't speak because Catalina's shot in his throat destroyed his vocal chords.

I didn't necessarily say he doesn't know English, it could be that he may not be able to speak it, or maybe he just doesn't feel the need to speak because he can get along with people just fine, kinda like how Yoda doesn't feel the need to improve his way of speaking English because people can understand him the way he speaks.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Many things make me think Rockstar globally didn't want to spend much money on GTA 3 so I think Claude is mute for financial reasons.

Terrc87
  • Terrc87

Crackhead

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

claude is just a snake without a tounge

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

here is Rockstars answer.

Rockstar says:
It may now seem obvious that people should all talk in games, but this was not necessarily the case in 2001, certainly not in an open world game. We were making up a lot of procedures as we went along, and we decided that the NPCs (Non Playable Characters) should talk and we would have to figure out how to make them talk (using motion captured cutscenes, something that had never really been done before, at least not on the scale we were doing it). So we decided that the game’s protagonist would not talk, partly to aid people identifying with him, but mostly because we had so many other problems to solve and this did not seem like a major issue. We started to discuss introducing a talking lead character when working on Vice City, but it was a lot of work. While the structure of GTA3 may seem obvious or natural now, and the use of cutscenes made in the game’s engine that look and feel like the game may seem simple and easy, it really was not the case back in 2001 when we had to figure out all of these things for the first time. Oh and in San Andreas, CJ calls Claude a mute because he does not talk and CJ finds this unnerving.

• Payne Killer and DimitriFaustin like this

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:34 PM Edited by stef_92, 13 June 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Yes, Claude is pure French name. Claude's origin is probably French-Cannadian but we can only speculate. Yet if he is not Canadian but real French, this is not a reason to believe that he doesn't speak English. And since R* already answered the question why he doesn't speak, there's nothing more to talk about it.

• Leone Family likes this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

My guess is that he was born mute. Really, if Rockstar had the money and resources to create a talking protagonist for III, they would've done so.

People who played III would've probably gone apes**t if Claude talked in San Andreas.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

>doesn't speak because he doesn't understand English

>is able to read letters and otherwise follow instructions given in English

okay

• lol232, thehambone, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:49 PM Edited by Evil-Empire, 13 June 2017 - 09:49 PM.

You can find talking main characters in a lot of video games released before GTA 3 without it looks unnatural.

Rockstar's explanation doesn't convince me. Many things make me think they didn't except the game to bring them much money so they didn't spend a lot of money on it.

• DimitriFaustin likes this

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

Van Society Member and Lucid Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

You can find talking main characters in a lot of video games released before GTA 3 without it looks unnatural.

Rockstar's explanation doesn't convince me. Many things make me think they didn't except the game to bring them much money so they didn't spend a lot of money on it.

Maybe because almost nobody attempted to do a FREEROAM 3D GAME in 2001? And also R* Wasn't as experienced as she was in VC!

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

Maybe because almost nobody attempted to do a FREEROAM 3D GAME in 2001? And also R* Wasn't as experienced as she was in VC!

I mean to be fair there was Driver iirc

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Was it massive as GTA 3? Nope!

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

nobodylikesme

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Catalina talked too much during Claude's appearance in SA, which didn't give Claude a chance to speak.

Then in III, Catalina shot Claude in the throat and he lost his ability to speak.

Simple.

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

To me Claude is the kind of guy who just don't want to talk at all, that way he's trusted by big players and he doesn't bitch every time so that's a plus. I don't really like the idea of Catalina shooting him in the throat which resulted in him being totally mute - though it would be kind of ironic in a way if it was the case - but to me he's just very silent because he doesn't have anything to say or he doesn't even care at all, that's why I love Claude's character, as empty as he is, he is pretty much the "ultimate killer" where he can do everything to everyone and that includes killing those old ladies with a rocket launcher. :lol:

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

But it was a 3D Freeroam game sooooo

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Catalina talked too much during Claude's appearance in SA, which didn't give Claude a chance to speak.

Then in III, Catalina shot Claude in the throat and he lost his ability to speak.

Simple.

Claude doesn't talk neither in GTA San Andreas whose action is set in 1992 whereas GTA 3's action is set in 2001.

Claude speaks in the beta trailer of GTA 3.

Dexolux
  • Dexolux

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:20 PM Edited by Dexolux, 14 June 2017 - 11:22 PM.

But it was a 3D Freeroam game sooooo

I Can re-use my previous post: Was it as massive as GTA 3? Nope!

Simple.

Claude doesn't talk neither in GTA San Andreas whose action is set in 1992 whereas GTA 3's action is set in 2001.

That's a fake!

The Lone Spirit
  • The Lone Spirit

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

This was something I did out of boredom, how did it get this many answers.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

I Can re-use my previous post: Was it as massive as GTA 3? Nope!

You know it could've been as massive as GTA 3 without the competition from Rockstar right

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

And yet, people were totally convinced that GTA III was "innovative." To be honest, the only thing "innovative & ground-breaking" was R*'s marketing savvy.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:04 AM Edited by Evil-Empire, 15 June 2017 - 10:05 AM.

What's the relationship with the freeroam concept?

They made all the other characters talk so they could do the same for the main character.

Simple.

That's a fake!

Proof?

Terrc87
  • Terrc87

Crackhead

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

What's the relationship with the freeroam concept?

They made all the other characters talk so they could do the same for the main character.

Simple.

That's a fake!

Proof?
Rockstar confirmed on 10th Anniversary Q&A that trailer is fake.
http://www.rockstarg...claude-dar.html
  • Dexolux likes this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

I didn't know Claude's voice in the beta trailer was added after.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

And yet, people were totally convinced that GTA III was "innovative." To be honest, the only thing "innovative & ground-breaking" was R*'s marketing savvy.

What a load of crap what else was there in 2001 that came close to GTA3? only other games that had hints of gta3 was Body Harvest and Space Station Silicone Valley on N64 and they where made by DMA

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:48 PM Edited by Zello, 15 June 2017 - 11:55 PM.

What a load of crap what else was there in 2001 that came close to GTA3? only other games that had hints of gta3 was Body Harvest and Space Station Silicone Valley on N64 and they where made by DMA

Driver 2 it came out in 2000...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users