Photo

Judging by this, do you think the nights are going to be as bright as

12 replies to this topic
oglocindahouse
  • oglocindahouse

Lost John

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:44 AM Edited by oglocindahouse, 29 May 2017 - 10:47 AM.

...the nights in RDR1?

d00445b4a48b2c0a2aa8beb8d6e0c9ff74e01ec6

Judging by the lighting here it seems the bright nights from RDR will be returning, something I think is a shame for a western game set primarily in nature. I get that the moon gives light here, but even without it the nights were ridiculously bright in RDR. Even on moonless nights, you could see everything just as good as day and the shadows were just as sharp.

There was never any need for a torch or fire to see anything, a mechanic I think could be pretty neat in a western game set mostly in nature where ambient city light is absent. Compare it to vanilla Skyrim, which is much, much darker at night so it is nice to use a torch if you are outside of towns.

It doesnt make sense in GTA where you have cities that light up everything but in a western game consisting of mostly nature? I think the nights should be a bit darker, it definitely helps with the atmosphere at night. Anyone else?
  • 2281 likes this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

if GTA V is anything to go by, the nights will be dark as f*ck. man, I tried cleaning the cathouse, that mission is at night time only and without a flashlight you can't see sh*t there. in the desert/paleto bay/countryside...where  there is little to no lights

Efreet
  • Efreet

I will keep you in black, on your behalf

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:10 PM Edited by Jabalous, 29 May 2017 - 04:14 PM.

I know where you're coming from and I agree with you. However, that one screenshot cannot tell much about how the nights will really look in the game. If I remember correctly, the nights in GTA V were very dark in areas where there are no light sources, but it's been very long since I played it. 

Untitled.jpg

Dark enough to create an atmosphere while also being playable? That's a better shot from the only trailer we have. 

• JohnWeazel, Payne Killer, oglocindahouse and 1 other like this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

This will most likely be fixed/tweaked given the time period from now until Spring 2018 (or whenever this game gets released). There is plenty of time so I wouldn't worry. Hence why Rockstar stated they want extra time to deliver the best experience possible.

Also, for future threads try making the title not so long because it looks like what you typed didn't finish.

But yeah, to your topic. I wouldn't worry :)

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

I know in RDR if you panned the camera at the night sky the stars and sh*t look more crisp and clear.

OhShitDatBoi
  • OhShitDatBoi

Snitch

• Members
  • Moldova

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

Witcher 3 had the perfect representation of night.It was geniunely 100% night-like in real life,in real villages(without many lights) and forests.GTA V's night time was okay.I even remember there where mods which made the nights darker lol.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

Depends on if there is HDR support for RDR2. And also if you have a HRD capable TV to display on. From the two games I've played with HDR on the PS4 (Deus Ex and Zero Dawn) the dark should be dark enough without it being too hard to see. Also the pic at the top is night during a full moon, which is the equivalent of a cloudy day. So I'd hope that dark will be dark in RDR2.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

I don't suppose we will have xenon flashlight options for our guns :p but a candle or lantern could be an nice accessory for dark places like interiors or mines/caves.  Miners had carbide headlamps back then, I suppose.  

If they want to put more realism in the night scenes, they could have the night illumination proportional to the phase of the moon, which, interestingly, goes from new to full overnight.  Then there would be a range of darkness from starlight (and even worse with clouds) to full moon.  

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

I was pretty impressed by how Rockstar handled nighttime in RDR. Not sure a photo pointing directly at the moon is entirely representative of darkness in the game. I mean I have pretty good eyesight, I like it dark and I'll always try use the brightness calibrator to where I actually can barely see the logo. I take it quite literally.  Moonlight is a powerful thing and having it too dark can be frustrating at times. 

oglocindahouse
  • oglocindahouse

Lost John

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

This will most likely be fixed/tweaked given the time period from now until Spring 2018 (or whenever this game gets released). There is plenty of time so I wouldn't worry. Hence why Rockstar stated they want extra time to deliver the best experience possible.

Also, for future threads try making the title not so long because it looks like what you typed didn't finish.

But yeah, to your topic. I wouldn't worry :)

The post title got cut off and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I made another thread just now and the same thing happened. Is there some character limit for post titles I am breaking? Someone please help.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

Apparently the limit is 69 characters (heh) so just keep it under that.  

IG_
  • IG_

Thug

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:32 AM Edited by IG_, 06 June 2017 - 03:32 AM.

I get that people want actually dark nights... but I'd wager that if Rockstar implemented true nights people would get annoyed of it within 2 hours into the game. First it would be "wow the nights are so cool" but then people would be like "for f*cks sake where's that rabbit I killed"

• tonko, Johnson Johnson and Razmayne like this

Brutal Trout
  • Brutal Trout

Observer to the Obliteration of Planet Earth

• Members
  • France

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

...the nights in RDR1?

Spoiler
Judging by the lighting here it seems the bright nights from RDR will be returning, something I think is a shame for a western game set primarily in nature. I get that the moon gives light here, but even without it the nights were ridiculously bright in RDR. Even on moonless nights, you could see everything just as good as day and the shadows were just as sharp.

There was never any need for a torch or fire to see anything, a mechanic I think could be pretty neat in a western game set mostly in nature where ambient city light is absent. Compare it to vanilla Skyrim, which is much, much darker at night so it is nice to use a torch if you are outside of towns.

It doesnt make sense in GTA where you have cities that light up everything but in a western game consisting of mostly nature? I think the nights should be a bit darker, it definitely helps with the atmosphere at night. Anyone else?

You're judging on a full moon night.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users