FIFA 18

32 replies to this topic
fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

Anyone who buys fifa 18 is getting ripped off. I am getting Football manager this year and f*ck fifa

I'm especially sorry for all the Ronaldo fans out there who buy this edition for the same virtual cards they bought last year and the reskin of the exact same game and trump skin colors.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Jason, A week ago.

It's an iterative franchise, same as CoD, Football Manager, etc. You're never going to see massive sweeping changes as they can't really do them,  instead they all rely on evolutions and slight revisions of the gameplay mechanics and modes, year to year the differences don't feel huge but if you went back and played Fifa 14 or 15 they'd be quite evident. Not defending them by any means, but if you're wanting to get blown away by a game that comes out every year you're probably going to be waiting a long, long time.

Personally I think it plays quite good, better than Fifa 17 from the demo for me, though the demo always plays quite different from the final game. Bigger and heavier players feel more weighty, left trigger shielding has been nerfed quite a bit too so no more shrugging everyone off easily which means you have to be more careful with your first touches as you can easily be robbed - especially in midfield. Gameplay is slower and pace looks to have been nerfed a bit, possession play looks like it'll be more viable again.

Also, crossing is very very easy in the demo and anyone who's a half decent crosser in Fifa 17 will find a lot of success with them in 18 if the demo is anything to go by, front post and backpost crosses are very accurate and carry a lot more pace. Dribbling feels a bit tighter as well, but not by much. Driven shots are still OP and keepers in the demo are struggling with front post low shots again, so I hope that's fixed for the full game as it was a pain in the arse when it was a problem a few years ago.

The big thing and a lot of players are talking about this is they've made defending a lot harder, reverting it back to a more manual style rather than having the CPU be incredible strong like they were in Fifa 17. That alone is probably the best change, as it widens the skill gap back to what it was pre-17 levels.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted A week ago Edited by Mister Pink, A week ago.

Just played a few games of the demo and I'm really enjoying it.  It might be worth noting that I'm coming from FIFA 16, completely skipping 17 which is what I like to do so there is bigger changes and noticeable improvements. 

I pretty much agree with what Jason said. The players feel weightier and so does the ball. This changes everything for me. It feels a lot more realistic and a lot more fun. I feel more in control with the weightier feel of the ball and the players. Also, agreed with the left-trigger shielding. It's actually quite easy to lose the ball. I don't know if it's because I'm against the computer or if it still might work against other real players but maybe they toned it down a bit because it was too good, which I kind of welcome. Gives more of a challenge. 

Game speed was nice and varied. Had some moments where the tempo was nice and calm, great possession play and speedy, end to end stuff, quick through-balls and spontaneous action. Also, FIFA 16 some times I felt that I wanted to move a player one direction but the computer was sort of dragging the player another way. Not sure if that's a sort of by-product of the default game-assists that are there but it didn't feel fluid and in control like an old PES game. This game, I didn't have that disconnect. Players felt very responsive to what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. 

The auto-substitutions feature is great. So handy. But the corning and free-kick functions are different to me. I need to learn how to score free kicks again :(

I have to say I'm very happy. Also, here's a couple of goals I scored. Might turn up the difficulty if I can. It's just on default difficulty. 

• Jason likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users