Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V only 55 FPS with i5 6600 + GTX 1060?

12 replies to this topic
leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:49 PM Edited by leo1lion1, 18 May 2017 - 08:39 PM.

Hey guys, 

as you can see in the title I have a GTX 1060 3Gig paired with an i5 6600 on an ASRock h110m whatever MB and 16GB 2133MHz RAM. GTA is loaded from an SATA SSD.

After some benchmarking i realised the problem is the CPU, since I can turn the graphings settings down to the absolute lowest and still getting 65FPS while the CPU is at 100% usage and the GPU at 20%. In Idle the CPU gets down to 3% so its probably no trojan or something.

In Benchmarks i see around 90 FPS on almost highest settings with same CPU + GPU, while I get up to 55 on highest. VSync isn't the problem either, rarely I get 70 or sometimes even more FPS so it is theoretically possible.

Thermal throttling shouldn't be a problem either as I am runing my CPU on cool 50°C with the Dark Rock Pro3.

I tried the things in the pinned post aswell, but nothing helped at all.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe some weird settings in the BIOS? Maybe something I didn't thought about yet?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

HalfOfAKebab
  • HalfOfAKebab

Help & Support

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award [GTAO]

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

Post some screenshots of all your graphics options. You should use Imgur to upload them, since it offers albums.

leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

I can do that, but do you think it is necessary? As I said, when I turn everything down, as far as possible, the GPU is at 20% load but the CPU stays over 90% and I still get only 65-70FPS.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:09 PM Edited by ACM-Jan, 23 May 2017 - 12:43 PM.

wow that is weird, i get similar FPS on much lower hardware at minimum requirements mostly (gpu is midrange).

CPU is only a pentium, now im thinking if it's even worth upgrading if higher hardware don't change anything (250€ would be useless to waste), only real reason to upgrade would be going over to windows 10!

• leo1lion1 likes this

leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Yep, that's the thing, the bottleneck is the CPU even though a 6600 should be easily enough. Maybe it's some strange thing as MB, but even the worst MB shouldn't bring it down by 50% in performance.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

there must be drivers or software settings issue, cpu is way more than needed for playable fps

• leo1lion1 likes this

leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:31 PM Edited by leo1lion1, 20 May 2017 - 04:35 PM.

Well it is kinda playable but at 40 FPS not enjoyable. (Almost feels like console... :p)

After the "Intel Driver Update Utility" reported two outdatet drivers and updating them it made little to no difference. Now I even sometimes get 40 Fps with Cpu at 70% and GPU at 90%, at lowest settings, the CPU stays at 70% and the GPU goes once again to 20%, just as before. Those extreme slowdowns happen at random for a relatively long peroid of time. 

Any other driver where I could look for an update? Maybe install some Intel drivers manually?

If it gets too bad could a clean install help? I mean, that would probably take hours with all the software, so yeah....

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:09 PM Edited by ACM-Jan, 20 May 2017 - 05:14 PM.

settings man, play with them to find good result! Nvidia control panel has 3d settings to change too - go to 'program settings' tab under 'manage 3d settings' and add 'grand theft auto 5' then change in the list vertical sync to 'adaptive' and power management mode to 'prefer maximum performance'.

you can also enter task manager every time you loaded up game, go to gta5.exe, right click it and 'set priority' to high!

btw when it comes to increasing fps in gta games then its like black magic to get it done, no certain way to do it!

If you don't want to waste nerves you better get used to random fps drops in gta games, they were made for consoles mostly, it's so annoying if people stare at fps and whine if it drops under 60, 30 fps is already playable!

• leo1lion1 likes this

EvoBeardy
  • EvoBeardy

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:56 PM Edited by EvoBeardy, 20 May 2017 - 06:16 PM.

(Sorry I'd written this out yesterday and forgot to post it lol)

Uncertain what you've tried and what you haven't, but have you checked your active clock speed of your GPU whilst running the game/benchmark?

Use a conjunction of either/or/both GPU-Z on the Sensors tab, and MSI Afterburner, see what your GPU is running at.

An old fix for high CPU usage which would often cause stuttering with high CPU usage, was to alt-tab out whilst running GTAV and start Task Manager, look for GTAVLauncher.exe and close that process, tab back into GTAV and it may fix it (I actually had the issue arise recently, even though it's an old problem).

Another thing to try would be to go into nVidia Control Panel> Manage 3D Settings, click on the Program Settings tab, and look for GTAV.exe (or add it if not on the list), look for Power Management Mode, set it to Prefer Maximum Performance, and apply.

Give that a shot and see how it goes.

What PSU have you got, out of curiosity? And is GTAV the only game that does it?

If we knew the active frequency of both your CPU/GPU, we'd be able to better try and troubleshoot, the CPU is in no way a bottleneck for that GPU, it could be a simple driver issue, it could be something else.

Download the latest drivers straight from nVidia and run a custom installation, check the Perform Clean Installation and install whatever you use. (if you did the nVidia CP stuff prior, you'll have to check that hasn't changed with the Driver Update)

If the slowdowns are at random and happen for a long period of time, the hardware is throttling for some reason, or the hardware simply thinks it isn't needed to be that powerful, so is ramping down (as temps aren't the issue) or simply isn't being put to use correctly (drivers).

Also I'm assuming that all the external power leads (PCI-E and CPU) are plugged correctly into the Mobo.

The reason HalfOfAKebab asked about graphical settings screenshots, I think was just to mull over your Advanced and general graphics settings, resolution you've been adjusting to/from etc, as resolution makes a difference on CPU/GPU usage.

wow that is weird, i get similar FPS on much lower hardware at minimum requirtements mostly (gpu is midrange).

CPU is only a pentium, now im thinking if it's even worth upgrading if higher hardware don't change anything (250€ would be useless to waste), only real reason to upgrade would be going over to windows 10!

Honestly it depends on which Pentium you have, the newer ones have four threads, so act more like an i3, but not quite (lacking instruction sets, cache), and more threads really help in games like GTAV (stuttering would be easily shown on GTAV with a 4.5Ghz+ G3258 for example), however GTAV really favours quad cores, as Hyperthreading isn't near as powerful as a full core (think of the extra threads as 25-30% as powerful as an actual core).

With a Pentium or i3 (depending on how old), you're also more likely to have legitimate CPU bottlenecks the higher performance Graphics cards you run, rather than simpy slightly less FPS thanks to generational IPC improvements (the card shown in the chart linked isn't as powerful as todays, as have their been marginal improvements in CPU performance).

Also which resolution you play also makes a large difference on your CPU requirements.

All you'd have to do is Google/YouTube your current model vs the model you'd planned to upgrade, to see the differences in performance (or similar models).

Hope this helps any.

[EDIT: (lol took me over an hour to add stuff to my post)]

btw when it comes to increasing fps in gta games then its like black magic to get it done, no certain way to do it!

If you don't want to waste nerves you better get used to random fps drops in gta games, they were made for consoles mostly, it's so annoying if people stare at fps and whine if it drops under 60, 30 fps is already playable!

I dunno dude, you really do notice drops to 30-40 from 60+, I have all my visuals on max including Grass (love that Ultra Grass man) and whenever I go near the hills my FPS takes a massive hit (naturally) to the 30's/40's I can really feel it, makes me cringe.

Everyone is diffferent, and we as humans adapt to what we're used to afterall. I used to be able to smash out the Xbox360 all day, PS, N64, Snes/Mega Drive, Atari, ZX Spectrum. Now I play older games on older hardware it gives me massive headaches as I've become accustomed to the framerates, smoothness of pixels of my current setup.

I can't even play the PS4/Xbone now without feeling the difference.

You'll always get drops of some extent, be they due to other player interaction, large scale Physics processing, but drops that happen for long periods or severe short-term drops like stutters, are largely hardware/driver based issues and you shouldn't be content playing a game that stutters/drops that consistently/badly (moreso on hardware that should be more than capable) unless it's down to the fact that you simply can't afford anything better, lord knows I've been there. :)

• leo1lion1 likes this

leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:55 PM Edited by leo1lion1, 24 May 2017 - 08:38 PM.

Currently, after an Audio driver update in runs either at 70FPS or 40FPS. So I guess I just need to stand through those 15 minutes sessions of 40FPS (just an feeling, no benchmarks only an estimation and an FPS counter.) to play some 60 afterwards again or sometimes restarting also helps. Seems quite nice now.

@ACM-Jan
As said above its not about raising the FPS in General but about getting rid of random slowdowns for long peroids of time.
But thanks, I'll try that the next time.

@EvoBeardy

I've got an EVGA card so I'm using their OC tool in combination with GPU-Z.
CPU says at 3,57 to 3,63GHz, thought it could go to 3,9 if thermals allow and since its at 45°C why isn't maxing out?
GPU is at standard clocks, OCing at +160MHz on Core and +480MHz on Mem is the maximum i could potentially go without changing Voltage or advanced settings.

Alt+TAB didn't work for me, closing some other stuff (like the launcher) had some minor effect, but i couldn't tell without knowing.

It is already at Maximum Performance in the NVidia Control Panel.

My PSU should be this one: https://www.mindfact...old_976849.html (german site)
I don't play any other Games which are as intenisve as GTA.

Latest Drivers for my Graphics Card are definitly there.

Power Cables are pretty sure all installed since my system won't even try to start with one power cable unplugged.

I would say it is solved, runs smoothly way over 70 FPS, and rarely I guess I have to stand through those low FPS sessions. But that didn't happen in the last hours of gameplay so yeah... Still waaay lower than my expectations but still 60-70 FPS is absolutely enough for me.

Looks like the reason was the adio driver, thanks I guess!

BTW: Sorry for my poor english, I'm German.

leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

Okay... guys, i'm here again.

I have the Problem, that I get additionally to the already existing slowdowns some very very bad ones aswell. They also happen at random for longer periods of time, but bring the FPS down to 5-8. I first thought is was the 3Gig VRAM cap, but after checking the Task Manager and MSI afterburner live, I saw that this wasn't the problem. CPU and GPU both Chill well under 50% and Temps aren't concerning at all. Any ideas? I can not reproduce all this in any other games since GTA is by far my most demanding. Maybe there are some Benchmarks good Benchmarks? 

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:44 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 05 June 2017 - 08:46 PM.

that is very weird indeed, i have the 6600k and it still keeping up with the gtx1080 at 1440p with very high / ultra setting (2MSAA) and still gets 75 fps most of the time, i know that the regular 6600 runs slower Mhz but still... that is just not normal.

CPU says at 3,57 to 3,63GHz, thought it could go to 3,9 if thermals allow and since its at 45°C why isn't maxing out?

i mean it seems that the Cpu isnt even running..

leo1lion1
  • leo1lion1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:40 PM Edited by leo1lion1, 06 June 2017 - 08:07 PM.

Well, it is runnning indeed but not trying to Turboclock. I tried to reset my BIOS settings to factory settings but it didn't help at all. Now, after turning all advanced graphics settings to the minimum the 5 FPSs are away, still, the 40FPS are not fixed, but at least something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users