Niko feels like the only GTA protagonist who is a good guy

39 replies to this topic
lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

Playing all other GTAs, it's kinda obvious you're the bad guy, but Niko feels like he's the only protagonist who is genuinely the good guy.
Trying to escape his past, he runs and promises himself not to kill anyone early on, and he takes no pride in what he does, even expressing how he's getting tired of killing later on in a phonecall with Roman.

He genuinely feels like he's the good guy just trying to survive, hoping to leave the life of crime behind him.

When he feels something is morally wrong he'll do it for free, as seen in Illeyna's random encounter, he gives Marnie cash without hesitating - he is very genuine.

This looks more like a blog post than a thread, but this is just a thought.
  • Journey_95, UltraGizmo64, assCRACK_98 and 9 others like this

TakeshiSantos
  • TakeshiSantos

O Partner, Where Art Thou?

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:49 PM Edited by TakeshiSantos, 18 May 2017 - 10:50 PM.

In my humble opinion, the HD Universe protagonists are more moralists in general, especially Niko as you said.

He only wants to forget all the horrible things he done and the problems of his life so far, and live the "american dream", or at least have some peace. Settle down and stop.

The way he treats the most decent random encounter characters are a good proof of this, like Brian, Badman or Illeyna. He also shows deep care for his friends and family, especially Roman and Little Jacob who stick with him in most situations. 

And of course: "It was you or Dwayne, I choose Dwayne!"

• UltraGizmo64, Payne Killer, NikoB.IV and 1 other like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Victor Vance says hi

• UltraGizmo64, Gummy , Skayz and 5 others like this

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

Victor Vance says hi

No he doesn't.
  • UltraGizmo64, theGTAking101, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

The thing with Niko is that he's portrayed as both good and bad, depending on whoever/whatever he's dealing with. The story makes no secret of the fact that he is a willing criminal. He's a remorseless killer, even enjoying it sometimes given his various quotes.

The bank job shows that he has absolutely no qualms with killing the "good" people to get his own way, he later brags on the phone to Roman about it and tells Gerry that it was fun also. There's many more examples of this kind of thing, he's very far from a good person.

But then there is that other side of him, Marnie's encounter being the prime example.
  • UltraGizmo64, slimeball supreme, Payne Killer and 4 others like this

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:15 PM Edited by lol232, 19 May 2017 - 12:15 PM.

He's a remorseless killer,

False.
https://www.youtube....GdbZjhA#t=9m20s
  • UltraGizmo64, Payne Killer and Vik like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

Victor Vance says hi

Both really care about their families (even tho Lance and Roman are idiots sometimes), but Niko just keeps working for powerful people until he gets what he wants while Vic basically ignores his 'peaceful' manners to make his own empire.

• The Deadite likes this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

He's a remorseless killer,

False.
https://www.youtube....GdbZjhA#t=9m20s

You should play the full game.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Sure.

• Cheatz_N_Trickz, Naroon and SmokesWithCigs like this

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:27 PM Edited by lol232, 19 May 2017 - 01:27 PM.

You should play the full game.

You said he's remorseless, but he clearly shows remorse by the end of the game.

Sure.

Niko doesn't particularly feel bad for Gracie because she's a Mafia brat. She wasn't exactly an angel if you've played TBoGT.
  • B Dawg, Official General, UltraGizmo64 and 2 others like this

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:33 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 19 May 2017 - 01:39 PM.

Sure.

Niko doesn't particularly feel bad for Gracie because she's a Mafia brat. She wasn't exactly an angel if you've played TBoGT.

I know but she's still a woman. I really like Niko and his personality, he's the best video game character ever in my opinion but I don't agree he was a good guy. C'mon he's killed for money.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:41 PM Edited by B Dawg, 19 May 2017 - 01:41 PM.

Gracie deserves far more than what she was already put through :devil:

• lol232 and Payne Killer like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:03 PM Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 19 May 2017 - 05:52 PM.

You said he's remorseless, but he clearly shows remorse by the end of the game.

He also kills very remorselessly throughout it, and like I said even enjoying it:
- In Deconstruction For Beginners, he tells Playboy that he'll save a grenade so he can have some fun with one too.
- Did you not see the part where I said he tells Gerry the bank job was fun?
- When Pegorino sends him to kill Anthony, Niko jokes when switching off the life-support.
- He jokes when the Lost member hits the train.
- He mocks Gracie as he slaps her for the photo. Yeah, Niko is such a "good guy".

You are misinterpreting the remorse he shows. It is more self pity about where it has got him in life rather than actual care or regret about the people he's hurt or killed, he couldn't care less about them.
  • assCRACK_98, slimeball supreme, Naroon and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

You are misinterpreting the remorse he shows. It is more self pity about where it has got him in life rather than actual care or regret about the people he's hurt or killed, he couldn't care less about them.

He doesn't care when he kills random Russian, Italian gang members etc, but when it's more personal and closer to him (so to speak) like killing Dwayne he does show genuine remorse.

Anyway I wouldn't call Niko a good guy in the context of a normal life, but for a criminal he's the closest thing arguably more than any other protagonist.

It's difficult in a series that's known for its chaos and mayhem to have a protagonist so well rounded where you start to feel sorry for them. Niko broke the glass ceiling IMO and will unlikely ever be replaicated.
  • Journey_95, Cheatz_N_Trickz, Niobium and 4 others like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

He doesn't care when he kills random Russian, Italian gang members etc, but when it's more personal and closer to him (so to speak) like killing Dwayne he does show genuine remorse.

Anyway I wouldn't call Niko a good guy in the context of a normal life, but for a criminal he's the closest thing arguably more than any other protagonist.

It's difficult in a series that's known for its chaos and mayhem to have a protagonist so well rounded where you start to feel sorry for them. Niko broke the glass ceiling IMO and will unlikely ever be replaicated.

With Dwayne, I always saw it as Niko simply feeling sorry for the guy more than anything, pity. This situation is seen again with Derrick, made more difficult in that he's close with Packie and Kate but really Niko's only issue with these murders is that he pities the victims.

Genuine remorse imo is CJ's killing of Ryder and Smoke.
  • Naroon and Yinepi like this

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:33 AM Edited by lol232, 20 May 2017 - 07:29 PM.

He also kills very remorselessly throughout it, and like I said even enjoying it:
- In Deconstruction For Beginners, he tells Playboy that he'll save a grenade so he can have some fun with one too.
- Did you not see the part where I said he tells Gerry the bank job was fun?
- When Pegorino sends him to kill Anthony, Niko jokes when switching off the life-support.
- He jokes when the Lost member hits the train.
- He mocks Gracie as he slaps her for the photo. Yeah, Niko is such a "good guy".

- In Deconstruction For Beginners, Niko implies he wants to use it for later jobs.
- At the bank job adrenaline was pumping, he wasn't going in a rampage killing innocents doing stupid sh*t like Trevor.
- Anthony was a threat to Niko because he cut a deal with the FIB and could've potentially ratted him out
- The Lost members took Ray's ergo Niko's money, and he wasn't too fond of bikers either
- Slapping Gracie does make him a good guy. Jokes aside, no, Niko doesn't feel bad for Gracie because she's a Mafia brat and lead to someone who almost killed him in a deal.

I am not, he directly says he's getting tired of killing and wasn't self pity.

And the way Niko kills Dwayne he genuinely shows remorse for what he's doing. If you call Roman afterwards, Niko will once again show remorse for killing Dwayne.
  • Algonquin Assassin, UltraGizmo64, Payne Killer and 2 others like this

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

I have only one point to make here.
I don't rightly remember the mission, but in one mission, Kate asks Niko to go to church and believe in God. Niko's feeling of guilt when he talks to her about the people killed in war proves that he's a good person. He does not want kill people
  • lol232 likes this

Brian Grey
  • Brian Grey

Darksider

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:28 PM Edited by Brian Grey, 20 May 2017 - 02:28 PM.

Niko aint a good guy, but he aint no sociopath, sorta reminds me of a quote from Michael De-Santa "I've done a lot of things that I ain't proud of, and I never claim to be an angel. But you meet Trevor, Franklin, you'll swear I am an angel."

Some of the things he does is actually a good thing from a certain point of view, he doesn't slaughter civilians (which is optional) just all these Gangsters, mobsters, bikers and usually any other filth that terrorises Liberty City, even his motive for coming to Liberty City can be considered morally good considering the guy he's after is responsible for most of his fellow soldiers being killed in an ambush. 

its a very morally grey area, the only reason he resorted to killing people because he hadn't much choice, his Cousin turned out to be in debt, Niko being Niko didnt like people who are a threat to him and his friends so he killed them, Vlad for what he did to Romans girlfriend Mallorie then ended up being forced to work with a Mob bosses which spiralled him down deeper and deeper into killing people and the criminal underworld. in the end he mostly wanted revenge and would work with anyone who benifited that goal to avenge his fallen Brothers in Arms. 

Niko can be seen as a good guy compared to Tommy and Trevor who were obviously Psycho-Sociopaths who did things that benifited them while Niko did it all for his Brothers in Arms and luckily for Niko ended up making it out alive.

• UltraGizmo64, Gummy , Naroon and 1 other like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:35 PM Edited by Achlys, 20 May 2017 - 02:35 PM.

I wonder what Osho would say if he was here.

Gracie deserves far more than what she was already put through :devil:

I assumed someone like you would wanna tap that. :p

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:01 PM Edited by anthony, 20 May 2017 - 03:03 PM.

I would definitely said "Niko is the only one who felt like an human". Anyway, he's not a good guy because good / bad peoples doesn't exist, black and white doesn't exist.

• lol232 likes this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:45 AM Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 21 May 2017 - 12:46 AM.

OP you made some laughable excuses there. He's only tired of killing because it's making him feel bad about himself, not his victims. He's not seeing the faces of those he kills at night. He is a willing criminal, like I said, but unlike Trevor it's not 'for the evulz', it's because he can't do anything else which is what he confirms.

He does "good" things because...why shouldn't he? Just because he's a criminal doesn't mean he can't empathise with others.
  • slimeball supreme, Naroon, Vik and 1 other like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:58 AM Edited by Journey_95, 21 May 2017 - 12:59 AM.

I wouldn't say he is a good guy, that would be too simplistic for an interesting character like him and also kind of wrong since he does a lot of "evil"  things in the story.

He definitely has more likable qualities than the other GTA protagonists and just feels more human, thats why he is by far the most compelling GTA protagonist. 

And as fun as more evil characters like Tommy Vercetti or (in tv shows) Tony Soprano and Walter White can be its just hard to root for them and I prefer someone more relatable like Niko.

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

Define "laughable" and define "excuses".

You should play the full game listen to the dialogue more carefully, again, Niko feels bad about certain victims - while he doesn't give a sh*t about an average goon he kills, he clearly displays remorse for killing certain ones.

Once again, the Pest Control post mission phone call, I keep bringing it up because it's a valid argument.
The way Niko kills him off is done in quite a sad tone, meaning Niko was desperate for the money, but hated the fact the he had to kill Dwayne.

If/When you kill Dardan in Bleed Out, Niko will tell himself "I promised myself I wouldn't kill people here" - once again displaying remorse for killing a man.

Just because he's a criminal doesn't mean he's a bad guy either.
  • theGTAking101, Vik and CarlsonRe like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:18 AM Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 21 May 2017 - 01:23 AM.

"I promised myself I wouldn't kill people here" - because he's trying to escape his past, not because he actually has any kind of remorse for those people. Killing Dardan just made Niko break a promise to himself, that's why he's regretful, and that's your misinterpretation. I'm not the one who needs to pay more attention to the game here mate.

Nobody said Niko liked killing for money. He clearly didn't want to kill Dwayne, but as he says in the call he put him out of his misery. Pity, again.
  • slimeball supreme, Naroon and Yinepi like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

I wonder what Osho would say if he was here.

Probably another 1000 word essay full of incoherent rambling, but I guess we'll never know. ;)

• Tycek, lol232, theGTAking101 and 5 others like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

off topic > writers discussion > red triangle

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:36 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 21 May 2017 - 08:36 AM.

"im just trying to put food in my baby's mouth", a man screams as he runs through multiple bohan alleys

"let's have some fun", niko replies as he murders him and his two friends in their apartment
  • straightupmenace and Naroon like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:46 AM Edited by DimitriFaustin, 21 May 2017 - 09:48 AM.

It's really hard to fault any of the protagonists for all the extreme acts they commit throughout the game's story and whatever the player chooses to do.

There's really no knowing as to how far someone can go when they get pushed to their limit and how much their mind, heart and soul can take.

Niko really came across as someone who was genuinely angry and enraged at Dimitri Rascalov, Ray Bulgarin and Jimmy Pegorino for their treacherous actions against him,

and he stands out in the game as some sort of a beacon of hope and morale despite his actions and general pessimism of American society. A beacon of morale with some

very harsh lessons learned in that when you have a society like Liberty City and Alderney with the exact kind of people Niko faces during his time in America,

it will not be long before major trouble brews and ignites.

• Yinepi likes this

yeeta
  • yeeta

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

Playing all other GTAs, it's kinda obvious you're the bad guy, but Niko feels like he's the only protagonist who is genuinely the good guy.Trying to escape his past, he runs and promises himself not to kill anyone early on, and he takes no pride in what he does, even expressing how he's getting tired of killing later on in a phonecall with Roman.He genuinely feels like he's the good guy just trying to survive, hoping to leave the life of crime behind him.When he feels something is morally wrong he'll do it for free, as seen in Illeyna's random encounter, he gives Marnie cash without hesitating - he is very genuine.This looks more like a blog post than a thread, but this is just a thought.

what about cj??

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

weight of the wind

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:19 AM Edited by Mister Leone, 25 May 2017 - 07:22 AM.

"im just trying to put food in my baby's mouth", a man screams as he runs through multiple bohan alleys

"let's have some fun", niko replies as he murders him and his two friends in their apartment

Weren't they drug dealers in a dope house lmao nothing of value was lost at least the guys Manny has you kill have the decency to have like drug meeting spots not just on the corner

Niko doesn't enjoy killing imo he's very self aware of his contradictions which fuel his dark humor. But he's not a good guy.

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:09 AM Edited by Roger Cheeto, 25 May 2017 - 10:23 AM.

"I always thought I was the good guy."
  • theGTAking101, Payne Killer and Mr_Rager like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users