Photo

Who edited their appearance?

127 replies to this topic
xFluttershy
  • xFluttershy

Classic car enthusiast

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:52 PM Edited by xFluttershy, 17 May 2017 - 08:53 PM.

I tweaked my character twice, once on 360 when they had the free offer for it and again on PC after I transferred the same character (since it game me the option to do so for free). Although, I wish I could change the gender of my character....I'd gladly pay $100k for a sex change. I just enjoy the clothing options female characters have so much more....I have a 2nd female character but...it's not the same. Since my main character has all my stats, unique clothing items from events and other unlocked content that'd take me a long time to reacquire on a 2nd character.

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

I love the feature and I'm glad they listened to the fans. My main character looked unique, but in a bad way. Now she looks more generic, but ultimately better.

the J is for Julia
  • the J is for Julia

Almost a sandwich...

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

Between the 2nd character slot glitch and the new purchase option, several times. I started doing more character snaps and wanted her to look "cuter". I kept working on the face (the editor lies) and using the attractive female guide here on the forum. RIP old Julia.

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

All this talk of character appearances makes me hope we get a better character creator in Red Dead Redemption 2 and Gta 6, cause my god the creator in this game is a train wreck.

• KWF1981 likes this

Zader
  • Zader

cocksucker

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

I used to do the glitch to reset my appearance for free back in the day, essentially on a weekly basis. Then I grew to like one of my secondary characters and moved onto Rockstar support tickets instead.

I've since spent a few million changing my face around, mostly to try and make her look like me, not that it f*cking matters because I'm always wearing a fox mask like some kind of idiot.

• CaptainMarvel likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Too easy to do the appearance change glitch if you have a free second character for me to bother paying the $100k. Did change my character significantly using it last year but haven't really touched it since, just the odd bit now and then.

nido997
  • nido997

Living in the City of Dreams

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

I didn´t and I won´t change my appearance in the Game , simply because my character looks like me IRL ...

• Amy Vinewood and Khephera like this

Laker23
  • Laker23

Greatness From Small Beginnings

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

My generic character looked a little Asian apparently. So I made him fully Asian to stand out from the generic looking males I always see.

Nacho Z
  • Nacho Z

Boss

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

I made him maybe 5% better looking and gave him deeper crows feet, that's it. I think it cost me 200K though so I guess both of those ideas happened separately.

Rippir1600
  • Rippir1600

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

All this talk of character appearances makes me hope we get a better character creator in Red Dead Redemption 2 and Gta 6, cause my god the creator in this game is a train wreck.

I don't think it's actually all that bad. It's pretty detailed but it's mainly for facial. If anything I want different body types back. I mean the only way to make my character look like he hasn't lived in a dark basement for 10 years is to really darken the skin. I enjoyed the gym and the little boxing feature that went with it in San andreas. If they would even just add different body builds without a gym I'd be happy.
  • AfroKloud likes this

Wren22
  • Wren22

Bedlamite

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:37 PM Edited by Wren22, 17 May 2017 - 10:44 PM.

My character looked like a hag after the PS3 to PS4 transfer, and she needed a little "work".

lYP7XC.jpg

• HKM87, the J is for Julia, Snu and 1 other like this

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

I don't think it's actually all that bad. It's pretty detailed but it's mainly for facial. If anything I want different body types back. I mean the only way to make my character look like he hasn't lived in a dark basement for 10 years is to really darken the skin. I enjoyed the gym and the little boxing feature that went with it in San andreas. If they would even just add different body builds without a gym I'd be happy.

In older games from an older generation yes, but by the standards of today not so much. You have barely any control over and cannot perfectly make a character the way you want them to look. Picking between grand parents and parents is such a horrible system and that whole system is basically making you choose between presets. Other games have done much better and gave you more control.

• Yinepi likes this

Khephera
  • Khephera

The Neter against the Neteru

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:28 PM Edited by Khephera_87_GER, 18 May 2017 - 12:34 AM.

I didn´t and I won´t change my appearance in the Game , simply because my character looks like me IRL ...

Yeah, pls don't change your char, he looks great!

Spoiler

OT: I've changed my char a few times. Changed the brow to get rid of the crackhead looking eyes on certain lighting conditions. :D I also gave her stronger cheekbones and gave her more suntan because her skin color was too pale.

• Amy Vinewood, nido997 and Professional Amateur like this

Rippir1600
  • Rippir1600

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:47 PM

In older games from an older generation yes, but by the standards of today not so much. You have barely any control over and cannot perfectly make a character the way you want them to look. Picking between grand parents and parents is such a horrible system and that whole system is basically making you choose between presets. Other games have done much better and gave you more control.

While I understand where you're coming from I just disagree, to me what's missing is various body types, the detailing for facial is enough to suite me, I started online gaming on "City of Heroes" which is a game with so much customization that its ridiculous so I can definitely understand your frustration when it comes to the lack of detailing but bare in mind that saints row went that route of you can customize practically everything and the game is deplorable after you beat the story, its a bland boring game. So personally I think I'd rather keep the atmosphere of where its currently at then possibly trade off for that, but again, this is just my opinion. 

CaptainMarvel
  • CaptainMarvel

MSpaintophiliac

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

I used to do the glitch to reset my appearance for free back in the day, essentially on a weekly basis. Then I grew to like one of my secondary characters and moved onto Rockstar support tickets instead.
I've since spent a few million changing my face around, mostly to try and make her look like me, not that it f*cking matters because I'm always wearing a fox mask like some kind of idiot.

I wish you meant in real life, like I accidentally misread your post originally.

Because that'd be awesome.

Rippir1600
  • Rippir1600

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:18 AM Edited by Rippir1600, 18 May 2017 - 12:18 AM.

I face sort of the same struggle with my character and his tattoos in the game, there's just not many revealing clothing to show them off and i think unless rockstar changed it or fixed it, you cant even see someone's tattoos they're just blurry or like a ink blob unless you go to the start up menu to see the players in the session. Curious to know whether that got fixed or not.

Smooth Longsack
  • Smooth Longsack

real long

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Do you lose outfits when changing appearance?

Rippir1600
  • Rippir1600

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:29 AM

Do you lose outfits when changing appearance?

I don't think so. My character remained in the same outfit as when I started it and I could even change it at the end.
  • Smooth Longsack likes this

Zader
  • Zader

cocksucker

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

I wish you meant in real life, like I accidentally misread your post originally.

Maybe I do.

Wanna find out?

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:57 AM Edited by Ghoffman9, 18 May 2017 - 01:04 AM.

While I understand where you're coming from I just disagree, to me what's missing is various body types, the detailing for facial is enough to suite me, I started online gaming on "City of Heroes" which is a game with so much customization that its ridiculous so I can definitely understand your frustration when it comes to the lack of detailing but bare in mind that saints row went that route of you can customize practically everything and the game is deplorable after you beat the story, its a bland boring game. So personally I think I'd rather keep the atmosphere of where its currently at then possibly trade off for that, but again, this is just my opinion. 

I highly doubt the customization had anything to do with the bad story, as games are worked on by multiple teams working in tandem who coordinate with each other which ultimately culminates with the end product. What really happened with Saints Row is that with each new installment it focused less and less on story and instead focused more and more onto over the top action. Should be obvious considering the wacky stuff you can do, like beating your enemies to death with a giant purple dildo.

I instead blame Rockstar's crummy creator on their inexperience, multiplayer stuff is still very new to them. Gta 5 is only the second game in the entire series to have official multiplayer support so they still got a lot to learn. This inexperience has really shown throughout the past three years. On launch day hardly anyone could even log on, then shortly after that people's characters were getting deleted entirely or things being dramatically altered such as even their gender being switched without warning. Then there were the exploits such as the duplication of vehicles and money exploits. It took them well over a year to release the heists despite them being promised as part of the original package upon online's launch, and these are just a few incidents. 

As for customization this is especially true, as customization did not start becoming a bigger staple until recently. For most of the games in the series the most you could customize is what clothes the protagonist was wearing and their hairstyle, and that was pretty much it. In Gta 4 they expanded slightly by letting you choose among a small list of preset faces. So suffice to say they are basically noobs when it comes to player customization.

Other game developers have really stepped up and give you more options and Rockstar needs to do the same. If Red Dead Redemption 2 or Gta 6 is like this, they will have fallen behind the times. All they simply need is to give you more control on how you make your face. Being able to choose each individual feature you want, what eyes you want, nose, lips, ears, and so on. Other games developers have been doing this kind of customization for years.

I am not saying you should be able to sculpt the face like you can in games like Fallout 4 but being limited to choosing between face 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 is rather archaic by today's standards.

You should be able to make your own custom face made up by all the individual features you have chosen.

Rippir1600
  • Rippir1600

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:43 AM

I highly doubt the customization had anything to do with the bad story, as games are worked on by multiple teams working in tandem who coordinate with each other which ultimately culminates with the end product. What really happened with Saints Row is that with each new installment it focused less and less on story and instead focused more and more onto over the top action. Should be obvious considering the wacky stuff you can do, like beating your enemies to death with a giant purple dildo.

I instead blame Rockstar's crummy creator on their inexperience, multiplayer stuff is still very new to them. Gta 5 is only the second game in the entire series to have official multiplayer support so they still got a lot to learn. This inexperience has really shown throughout the past three years. On launch day hardly anyone could even log on, then shortly after that people's characters were getting deleted entirely or things being dramatically altered such as even their gender being switched without warning. Then there were the exploits such as the duplication of vehicles and money exploits. It took them well over a year to release the heists despite them being promised as part of the original package upon online's launch, and these are just a few incidents. 

As for customization this is especially true, as customization did not start becoming a bigger staple until recently. For most of the games in the series the most you could customize is what clothes the protagonist was wearing and their hairstyle, and that was pretty much it. In Gta 4 they expanded slightly by letting you choose among a small list of preset faces. So suffice to say they are basically noobs when it comes to player customization.

Other game developers have really stepped up and give you more options and Rockstar needs to do the same. If Red Dead Redemption 2 or Gta 6 is like this, they will have fallen behind the times. All they simply need is to give you more control on how you make your face. Being able to choose each individual feature you want, what eyes you want, nose, lips, ears, and so on. Other games developers have been doing this kind of customization for years.

I am not saying you should be able to sculpt the face like you can in games like Fallout 4 but being limited to choosing between face 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 is rather archaic by today's standards.

You should be able to make your own custom face made up by all the individual features you have chosen.

I do agree with you on the limited archaic faces to choose from and you mentioned facial scultping, I'm not sure how long ago you last played around with it but I did yesterday and I can with 100% certainty tell you that there is face scultping, you can just go with the presets and choose to look like either mom or dad more and skin complexion but it also goes more in depth and I say that because again i literally touched up on this yesterday when I was playing around with it contouring my characters face and sculpting him into what I wanted him to be.

It goes as far with the scultping to give you a pretty decent sized grid to where you can place the dot in something like 20 squares which all sculpt your face and adjust it to a degree, you can add moles, freckles, how weathered your skin looks, whether your aging, etc.

Again I do agree with you that at first glance it does come off as archaic, IF YOU DON'T PLAY AROUND WITH IT IN DEPTH though. Which I did.

I really don't think it's as limited as you're remembering it being.

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:00 AM

Maybe I do.

Wanna find out?

I wanna see the fox mask too

R3CON
  • R3CON

Cesar Vialpando

• Van Society
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:10 AM Edited by R3CON, 18 May 2017 - 02:25 AM.

My original character looks the same as the day I transferred. Never changing him.

My second character, however, went under the knife twice. Once shortly after creation to do slight modifications and about two/three days ago, I changed him again but this time extensively. The second character is only 3+ months old but I appreciate the ability to continuously evolve the appearance.

Spoiler
  • alkaline_, -LN- and Yinepi like this

livejoker
  • livejoker

October 1st

• Van Society
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:32 AM Edited by livejoker, 18 May 2017 - 02:34 AM.

I tried it once to make my character older. Apparently it is impossible at this point.

I don't think you're allowed to play as a pile of dust. :p

I did check it out when the feature was introduced. The whole ordeal isn't new, to be honest. Back on old-gen you'd make a new character, level him up to get that "Do you want to change your ugly mug" message, unplug your net, reconnect and you'd have that option now for your first character. Same principal except now R* makes you pay 100K which is a bit too steep just to change the chin and remove a mole. It should be paid on what you change instead of paying a steady rate and going as little or as crazy as you want.

So I'm pretty sure my snapshots are cheating cause this was old-gen using that trick I explained. As for doing it legit? Not worth it. At this point I got posters of my face on my apartment walls, may as well stick with it.

Spoiler

• R3CON, -LN-, Yinepi and 1 other like this

nido997
  • nido997

Living in the City of Dreams

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:18 AM Edited by nido997, 18 May 2017 - 03:22 AM.

Yeah, pls don't change your char, he looks great!

Spoiler

OT: I've changed my char a few times. Changed the brow to get rid of the crackhead looking eyes on certain lighting conditions. :D I also gave her stronger cheekbones and gave her more suntan because her skin color was too pale.

oh that´s so sweet from you , Khephera ! :) well I tried to make him look like me and I succeeded to a certain extent , although his facial expression is more "badboy´ish" than mine ... I´m a nice guy :p but I´m having his beard right now , at least :D

she looks really good too BTW ;) she´s badass too ;) she´s you IRL ;)

• Khephera likes this

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

As somebody who has spent an embarrassingly long time tinkering with character customization systems in the past, I actually really like GTAO's facegen scheme with no full granular control of 1000 sliders in order to achieve "Perfection." I like the authenticity of having an imperfect, regular looking human being who resembles their ancestors, as we all do.

But yeah, I don't see any reason why the option to go full plastic surgeon shouldn't be there for folks who want that, and I hope to see it in future R* online games even if I probably won't use it myself.

HKM87
  • HKM87

HotRod

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:36 AM Edited by HKM87, 18 May 2017 - 04:37 AM.

Edited? More like changed. Did it for my female character

Went from this

Spoiler

To this

Spoiler

I'm very happy with it

• --V--, SosaMann and RomeoAlpha like this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

Yeah the creator isn't that bad. There does need to be more parent options and height sliders for the eyes and mouth, that would go f*ckin' far.

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:46 AM

No, I'll never change my appearance; I remember it took me about three times to get it right when I first created my character.  However, I did use the feature to go back and take screenshots of each slider that I originally used.

The only thing I'll do every now and then is change the hair style/colour and lipstick; everything else shall remain the same.

Spoiler
  • alkaline_, Khephera, Yinepi and 3 others like this

Professional Amateur
  • Professional Amateur

Rustled Jimmies

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:59 AM

I suppose I'm fairly happy with my character after 200k worth of changes. It was strangely difficult to decide on whether or not to entirely change the face I've seen for 3 years.

For some reason though, one of my friends refuses to see the Sterling Archer in my character and instead thinks that the character is a long lost cousin of Adolf Hitler. 

Not the look I was going for, but I guess it works.

Spoiler
  • V4S, alkaline_ and Khephera like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users