Does suspension effect handling?

17 replies to this topic
StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

I like my cars to look the part, but want them to function correctly even more.

Eg suspension on an insurgent. If I want it to have the down-low look, does this mean it will be slightly less able to handle as well when Off-road?
  • Nossirag likes this

tommyguns
  • tommyguns

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:40 PM Edited by tommyguns, 17 May 2017 - 12:55 PM.

Yes suspension makes a difference but you will notice the effect more on some vehicles than others.

On some cars the difference can be barely noticeable, on others the difference in the handling is like the difference between night and day, especially in cornering, and you'll find some vehicles are much less prone to flipping with suspension lowered.

Insurgent....now I only got mine recently, and I didn't do much off road driving before I took it into LSC, so I can't say for certain how lowered suspension effects it off road.

Experiment with it, if it seems to detract from the off road performance you can always change it back
  • StormerBoy and Nossirag like this

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Yes you f*cking can

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

I'm not sure if I can post links to rival forums here but there's a great thread at the NoDo forums discussing what mods effect different vehicles. Apparently different neon configurations actually change the weight distribution for example, and mods that change the hit box effect the handling. Cars like the Brioso that spin out easily over bumps are more controllable with higher suspension because of the extra travel, but like @tommyguns said it really depends on the vehicle and how it is to start with (maybe the Insurgent has ample suspension travel so decreasing it wouldn't be noticeable at all)

• StormerBoy, Forza Harrd, Incorgnito and 1 other like this

coelacanth72
  • coelacanth72

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:31 PM Edited by coelacanth72, 17 May 2017 - 07:34 PM.

Generally u improve traction at the expense of ground clearance. Traction is almost universally preferable to ground clearance, even off road, you'll go faster and spin out less, even when trying to climb chiliad. For cars that don't like bumps I have better luck changing wheel types than using lesser suspension upgrades. I size up when the car wants to bottom out (sports on the saber) or down if the wheels want to clip into curbs (offroads on the dod, muscle on the comet). The wheels thing is my own personal theory, can't back that up with evidence, and there are more in depth discussions elsewhere if you're interested. Long story short, I max out the suspension every time unless it's specifically for hopping medians and fording rivers, a sand king in my case.
  • StormerBoy likes this

Lord Darantuin
  • Lord Darantuin

Boogieman

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

It definately does and finding the best setup takes trial and error. Same goes for all car mods. What people often fail to realize is, having everything maxed out or going with the most expensive option does not always guarantee the most optimal end results.

• StormerBoy likes this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:46 PM Edited by Mach1bud, 17 May 2017 - 10:47 PM.

I'm not sure if I can post links to rival forums here but there's a great thread at the NoDo forums discussing what mods effect different vehicles.

No such thing as a rival forum bud. Feel free to post links from other forums especially when they are relevant to the topic.
  • N R G, Kushology, malcolm_tucker and 1 other like this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:50 PM Edited by Kushology, 17 May 2017 - 10:52 PM.

Mamba it's noticeable.

With stock suspension it slides around corners with ease(just how I like it), but with max it has a hard time.

Jist is, with no suspension upgrades, there's more body roll where max..there's obviously less and with off-roaders, there's less ground clearance. All my trucks have no upgrades, minus my Calvacade since it's a "show truck", doesn't have BP tires either so I can stance it.

I'm not sure if I can post links to rival forums here but there's a great thread at the NoDo forums discussing what mods effect different vehicles.

No such thing as a rival forum bud. Feel free to post links from other forums especially when they are relevant to the topic.

There's other forums? TIL.
  • StormerBoy likes this

N R G
  • N R G

Press Command-Shift-W for a surprise

• Members
  • Isle-of-Man

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:04 AM

I found this interesting document on the nodo forums, cudos to who created it: https://docs.google....sUOqAbbzAI/edit

• StormerBoy and Pedinhuh like this

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Yes you f*cking can

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Cool  :^: I post in some places that are really funny about it for some reason

Thread in question (the spreadsheet is in there too): http://nodo.freeforu...tup-quirks-tips(I think it's viewable without signing up?)

It's important to note that a lot of what's said is theory and people are disagreeing with each other about the accuracy and whether the placebo effect is a factor

• StormerBoy likes this

coelacanth72
  • coelacanth72

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Interesting data in those links, especially the treatment of wheel selection. Never the less fully lowering the suspension will always lower center of mass which will always allow the car to pull more g in a turn. It might not feel as nice, it might be harder to drive, but if you practice it WILL go faster. Kinda like race setups irl, they aren't pleasant to drive, but that's not the point. The wheel debate rages on, all we know for sure is offroads on "tires can clip" vehicles makes them go faster over bumps, but I've always had pretty good luck taming difficult suspension setups with wheel choice, which I speculate is only due to size. YMMV
  • StormerBoy and IamCourtney like this

ikt
  • ikt

_

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

Lowering suspension doesn't physically lower the car, it just makes it look lower. If you take a car that can have lots of lowering you can even see that the hitbox doesn't match up visually any more.

adam10603
  • adam10603

Player Hater

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:44 PM Edited by adam10603, 12 June 2017 - 09:45 PM.

Generally speaking, lowering the suspension will make the car a little bit more stable in turns, even introduce a touch of understeer in some cases, and it will make turning in a little bit less responsive. A higher suspension setting would do the opposite, making the turn-in a little bit more responsive, possibly get rid of a little bit of understeer, but the car might not be as stable throughout a corner.

The effects vary from car to car, but as a general rule of thumb, these things are true.

If you want definitive proof, try out a Brioso on the stock suspension setting vs. the lowest one. Although that car is sort of broken and the handling is just a mess, but the effects of suspension height are very exaggerated on that car, it's very easy to notice.

Btw just a quick a "hi" to everyone, this is my first time posting on GTA Forums. If you read Chilli's document above, you might even recognize my name. I work closely with him and other people in NoDo on all sorts of physics related testing and documentation. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

• N R G and Kushology like this

N R G
  • N R G

Press Command-Shift-W for a surprise

• Members
  • Isle-of-Man

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Generally speaking, lowering the suspension will make the car a little bit more stable in turns, even introduce a touch of understeer in some cases, and it will make turning in a little bit less responsive. A higher suspension setting would do the opposite, making the turn-in a little bit more responsive, possibly get rid of a little bit of understeer, but the car might not be as stable throughout a corner.

The effects vary from car to car, but as a general rule of thumb, these things are true.

If you want definitive proof, try out a Brioso on the stock suspension setting vs. the lowest one. Although that car is sort of broken and the handling is just a mess, but the effects of suspension height are very exaggerated on that car, it's very easy to notice.

Btw just a quick a "hi" to everyone, this is my first time posting on GTA Forums. If you read Chilli's document above, you might even recognize my name. I work closely with him and other people in NoDo on all sorts of physics related testing and documentation. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

giphy.gif

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

What exactly is point of custom tires? Purely cosmetic or?

I have them on some my racecars(with liveries) because they suit it, but can't tell the difference.

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:15 AM

I just hate how some cars will clip the wheels through the fenders if you lower them :I

adam10603
  • adam10603

Player Hater

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

Custom or bulletproof tires don't change the handling at all.

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:30 AM

Custom or bulletproof tires don't change the handling at all.

Yeah, thought so. Just a cosmetic.

botafogo4life
  • botafogo4life

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

I like my cars to look the part, but want them to function correctly even more.

Eg suspension on an insurgent. If I want it to have the down-low look, does this mean it will be slightly less able to handle as well when Off-road?

It'll be okay for the most part offroad if you go for max drop, just stay away from rocks and bumps because you're going to get launched...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users