Does suspension effect handling?

9 replies to this topic
StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

I like my cars to look the part, but want them to function correctly even more.

Eg suspension on an insurgent. If I want it to have the down-low look, does this mean it will be slightly less able to handle as well when Off-road?
  • Nossirag likes this

tommyguns
  • tommyguns

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by tommyguns, A week ago.

Yes suspension makes a difference but you will notice the effect more on some vehicles than others.

On some cars the difference can be barely noticeable, on others the difference in the handling is like the difference between night and day, especially in cornering, and you'll find some vehicles are much less prone to flipping with suspension lowered.

Insurgent....now I only got mine recently, and I didn't do much off road driving before I took it into LSC, so I can't say for certain how lowered suspension effects it off road.

Experiment with it, if it seems to detract from the off road performance you can always change it back
  • StormerBoy and Nossirag like this

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

I'm not sure if I can post links to rival forums here but there's a great thread at the NoDo forums discussing what mods effect different vehicles. Apparently different neon configurations actually change the weight distribution for example, and mods that change the hit box effect the handling. Cars like the Brioso that spin out easily over bumps are more controllable with higher suspension because of the extra travel, but like @tommyguns said it really depends on the vehicle and how it is to start with (maybe the Insurgent has ample suspension travel so decreasing it wouldn't be noticeable at all)

• StormerBoy, Forza Harrd, Incorgnito and 1 other like this

coelacanth72
  • coelacanth72

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by coelacanth72, A week ago.

Generally u improve traction at the expense of ground clearance. Traction is almost universally preferable to ground clearance, even off road, you'll go faster and spin out less, even when trying to climb chiliad. For cars that don't like bumps I have better luck changing wheel types than using lesser suspension upgrades. I size up when the car wants to bottom out (sports on the saber) or down if the wheels want to clip into curbs (offroads on the dod, muscle on the comet). The wheels thing is my own personal theory, can't back that up with evidence, and there are more in depth discussions elsewhere if you're interested. Long story short, I max out the suspension every time unless it's specifically for hopping medians and fording rivers, a sand king in my case.
  • StormerBoy likes this

Lord Darantuin
  • Lord Darantuin

Boogieman

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

It definately does and finding the best setup takes trial and error. Same goes for all car mods. What people often fail to realize is, having everything maxed out or going with the most expensive option does not always guarantee the most optimal end results.

• StormerBoy likes this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted A week ago Edited by Mach1bud, A week ago.

I'm not sure if I can post links to rival forums here but there's a great thread at the NoDo forums discussing what mods effect different vehicles.

No such thing as a rival forum bud. Feel free to post links from other forums especially when they are relevant to the topic.
  • N R G, Kushology and malcolm_tucker like this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted A week ago Edited by Kushology, A week ago.

Mamba it's noticeable.

With stock suspension it slides around corners with ease(just how I like it), but with max it has a hard time.

Jist is, with no suspension upgrades, there's more body roll where max..there's obviously less and with off-roaders, there's less ground clearance. All my trucks have no upgrades, minus my Calvacade since it's a "show truck", doesn't have BP tires either so I can stance it.

I'm not sure if I can post links to rival forums here but there's a great thread at the NoDo forums discussing what mods effect different vehicles.

No such thing as a rival forum bud. Feel free to post links from other forums especially when they are relevant to the topic.

There's other forums? TIL.
  • StormerBoy likes this

N R G
  • N R G

Team Marina Diamandis

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I found this interesting document on the nodo forums, cudos to who created it: https://docs.google....sUOqAbbzAI/edit

• StormerBoy likes this

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Cool  :^: I post in some places that are really funny about it for some reason

Thread in question (the spreadsheet is in there too): http://nodo.freeforu...tup-quirks-tips(I think it's viewable without signing up?)

It's important to note that a lot of what's said is theory and people are disagreeing with each other about the accuracy and whether the placebo effect is a factor

• StormerBoy likes this

coelacanth72
  • coelacanth72

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Interesting data in those links, especially the treatment of wheel selection. Never the less fully lowering the suspension will always lower center of mass which will always allow the car to pull more g in a turn. It might not feel as nice, it might be harder to drive, but if you practice it WILL go faster. Kinda like race setups irl, they aren't pleasant to drive, but that's not the point. The wheel debate rages on, all we know for sure is offroads on "tires can clip" vehicles makes them go faster over bumps, but I've always had pretty good luck taming difficult suspension setups with wheel choice, which I speculate is only due to size. YMMV
  • StormerBoy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users