Quantcast

» «
Photo

Most Popular Grand Theft Auto Game?

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick One (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Which One Of Them Was More Popular

1. GTA 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. GTA 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. GTA 3 (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

4. GTA Vice City (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

5. GTA San Andreas (23 votes [38.33%])

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

6. GTA Liberty City Stories (0 votes [0.00%])

7. GTA Vice City Stories (0 votes [0.00%])

8. GTA IV (7 votes [11.67%])

Percentage of vote: 11.67%

9. GTA TLAD (0 votes [0.00%])

10. GTA TBOGT (0 votes [0.00%])

11. GTA V (22 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

12. GTA Online (6 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
NikoB.IV
  • NikoB.IV

No Racism

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

title says it.

i vote san andreas because it introduced most of the world to the gta series.

that was my opinion but you guys say yours

• jaljax likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:24 AM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 17 May 2017 - 11:34 AM.

The most popular was V, it even broke tons of world records and stuff.

Edit: Looking at sales:

I/London 1960s: 1 million+

II: Couldn't find anything.

III: 17.5 million

Vice City: 20 million

San Andreas: 27.5 million

Advance: 100.000+

Liberty City Stories: 8 million

Vice City Stories: 4.5 million

IV: 25 million+

The Lost and Damned: 1 million+

TBoGT/Episodes from Liberty City: 160.000+

Chinatown Wars: 200.000

V/Online: 75 million+

• Roger Cheeto, theGTAking101, Mixercio and 2 others like this

Mixercio
  • Mixercio

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:24 AM Edited by Mixercio, 19 May 2017 - 01:44 PM.

I've been playing GTA games since I was little and as much as I like the 3D universe games, it's hard to argue against GTA V/GTA Online. 

As both GTA V and GTA Online have introduced by far the biggest number of people to the franchise. 

Just take a look at the sales and reviews, GTA V/GTA Online holds the highest amount of sales and positive reviews by quite a margin.

Not to mention that both games have also vastly increased the popularity of gtaforums itself, just go take a look at the amount of topics and replies in each category.

Both GTA V and GTA Online have been the most popular games on the forums for quite some time now and I highly doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

• DimitriFaustin likes this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

The most popular was V, it even broke tons of world records and stuff.

Edit: Looking at sales:

I/London 1960s: 1 million+

II: Couldn't find anything.

III: 17.5 million

Vice City: 20 million

San Andreas: 27.5 million

Advance: 100.000+

Liberty City Stories: 8 million

Vice City Stories: 4.5 million

IV: 25 million+

The Lost and Damned: 1 million+

TBoGT/Episodes from Liberty City: 160.000+

Chinatown Wars: 200.000

V/Online: 75 million+

From what I remember from reading "Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto" by David Kushner, the original GTA sold 2.3 million copies, London '69 sold 750,000 copies,

London '61 didn't make any money because it's a free online download, and GTA 2 sold a little over 3 million copies. A promotional ad for GTA III I recall said that the GTA series

sold just about 5 million copies prior to III. Assuming, of course, that those are credible sources.

While GTA 2's 3 million copies sold is no small feat considering the public reception of video games back then, GTA III was when the GTA series really started to make waves

throughout the video game industry and media. Judging solely by sales though, GTA V/Online is by far the most popular GTA and nothing so far seems to be slowing it down.

Maybe it's because it capitalized on the social media trends of the time. If only every GTA game had the same level of hype and publicity as V and Online.

• Mixercio and DOUGL4S1 like this

GeeMeek
  • GeeMeek

Player Hater

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

It most be GTA San Andreas. SA:MP did his thing and still does. Also the storyline is great and should be a movie.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

San Andreas is the most beloved and respected even if V is the best seller. 

• Kevert, GTA-Biker and NikoB.IV like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

Boy You Make Me Make Bad Decisions

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

Well here in Mexico it was SA, but now it's V.
  • Jeansowaty and Richie Makyura like this

Richie Makyura
  • Richie Makyura

Most Wanted Criminal :v

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

Well here in Mexico it was SA, but now it's V.

People calls San Andreas 2 to GTA V (Palmface)

Its the Truth you commentary :panic:

• Jeansowaty and Femme Fatale like this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

In Poland it's gotta be V followed by SA. No one cares about IV or III sadly :(

• Richie Makyura likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:10 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 20 May 2017 - 04:11 PM.

Back in 2008 all kids wanted to play GTA IV, but no one had a computer good enough to run it, sad!

And now all they play is GTA V, wtf.

also

It most be GTA San Andreas. (...) Also the storyline is great and should be a movie.

No

• Richie Makyura likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

I think GTA SA is overall the most popular.While GTA 5/Online is played and talked about more in the last few years,the fact that many people are still playing SA and still talking about it after over a decade is quite impressive.

• Kevert, SmokesWithCigs and DimitriFaustin like this

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

San Andreas, V will be the most famous till VI comes out.

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

San Andreas although i think that Vice City really is the real reason of why everyone wanted to get San Andreas though (another reason is that its Gta, you can do anything in the game world lol)

Yes it is kind of confusing , but what i am trying to say is that Vice City is the real reason everyone was excited for a next installment (San Andreas) because they added a lot more features in the game then their predecessor (Gta 3)

That being...  buying safehouse's , property , change clothes etc etc.. 

I think everyone knew R*  was making something big after Vice city was released because of all the features they added in that game then their predecessor as i stated before. 

• SmokesWithCigs, NikoB.IV and TakeshiSantos like this

TakeshiSantos
  • TakeshiSantos

O Partner, Where Art Thou?

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:26 AM Edited by TakeshiSantos, 26 May 2017 - 12:27 AM.

San Andreas although i think that Vice City really is the real reason of why everyone wanted to get San Andreas though (another reason is that its Gta, you can do anything in the game world lol)

Yes it is kind of confusing , but what i am trying to say is that Vice City is the real reason everyone was excited for a next installment (San Andreas) because they added a lot more features in the game then their predecessor (Gta 3)

That being...  buying safehouse's , property , change clothes etc etc.. 

I think everyone knew R*  was making something big after Vice city was released because of all the features they added in that game then their predecessor as i stated before. 

I can relate to that. Vice City is the first game in the series with a variety of weapons, great story and memorable characters; the gameplay stuff is impressive and they still use it as a base.

• jaljax likes this

mzt
  • mzt

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

V definitely sold the best, & with the explosion of YouTube it had to. I doubt VI will be as popular. I cannot foresee the video game channels on YouTube having as much steam or enthusiasm about another GTA when it comes out. It will probably perform in sales somewhere 75-80% of the way between IV and V.

For player enthusiasm, it's got to be San Andreas.

Shakermaker
  • Shakermaker

Black Hole Sun

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:35 PM Edited by Shakermaker, 26 May 2017 - 04:43 PM.

GTA V, then GTA SA.

IV was very popular back in 2008-10 (in 2011 the GTA V hype started), but not as much as GTA SA. IV disappointed some fans and I remember that many people didn't have a qualified computer to play it, so GTA SA was still very popular, even with GTA IV in the stores.

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Best Soundtrack : San Andreas by a landslide

However how can you top GTA:O? 

San Andreas, man what a time.  I used to know my way around that city like my hometown.  If we are just going by offline games then I still think SA edges GTA V imo, but I've had so much fun with the online mode that it has to get my vote. 

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

It would have to GTA V/Online. Most people IRL or in gaming I encountered don't know much about the older games in the series these days.

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 5 days ago

GTA Online seems most popular currently.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 5 days ago

I can't stand GTAO and what it's done, but there's no doubt it's incredibly popular which itself is worrying for the series' future.

• Kevert and Payne Killer like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Journey_95, 4 days ago.

GTA SA no doubt. I mean its definitely not my favourite but you cant deny how popular it is.  Then its GTA V and Online.

The fanbase sadly prefers more over the top "fun" instead of a good story and characters. IV is really not well liked among the general GTA community.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 3 days ago

GTA SA no doubt. I mean its definitely not my favourite but you cant deny how popular it is.  Then its GTA V and Online.

The fanbase sadly prefers more over the top "fun" instead of a good story and characters. IV is really not well liked among the general GTA community.

It was popular.

People moved to V and Online.

Wiseguy94
  • Wiseguy94

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

GTA IV is still obviously the best because of the great story and characters, well done setting and atmosphere.

And third its V, it has a lot of flaws (sh*t antagonists, dumbed down physics etc.)  but the world Rockstar created is filled with detail and its still a lot of fun. After LC, LS is certainly the best open world city in gaming. The story while messy was also entertaining.

Well, IV was boring, had boring characters, a basic plot (honestly, people are still trying to make out that it had any sort of story) As for the setting. I ws very pretty, but nothing but more and more city got old very quickly.

V Has the two best antagonists around. Mike and Trevor were complicated characters who weren't just cookie cutter bad guys like basic model Niko was. As for the physics? Who wants realistic driving in a gta game? f*ck that. Remember the days of your car accidentally flipping over in the middle of nowhere and you knew it was a long run back to civilisation because it was just about to go on fire? V solved that by allowing us control in the air. A vast gaming improvement.

For me?

V

SA

III

IV

Vice City

Agree with all of that except for the Vice City part. I'd gladly play VC any day over IV despite it being badly dated and featuring some cringeworthy voice work. The setting, vibe, weaponry and soundtrack feel like a playable 80s action movie. Which is a great idea for a game in the 2010s, actually....

Wiseguy94
  • Wiseguy94

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago Edited by ~Tiger~, 2 days ago.

GTA III is better looking than Vice City and San Andreas. Let me tell you a little story. When I first got GTA VC (I was way too young but that's how it went.) and put it in my PS2, I noticed that the graphics were crappy on the very first day. At eight years old I could tell the graphics were a step down. It doesn't have the smoothness of III's graphics and everything is blockier and chunkier. San Andreas is arguably even worse because it's even more blocky and choppy. As the worlds got bigger, the graphics got more and more ugly. III was a couple of years ahead of its time for 2001. All three look old now but that was last decade. Technically, Vice City didn't improve on much of anything over III. The cars handle the same and the combat is pretty much identical. SA improved on the driving and the combat and still has the best hand to hand system of any of the games.

If you want my list of technical appreciation, it goes:

1. V
2. IV
3. III (better graphics than below and revolutionary gameplay for the time)
4. SA (better physics)
5. VC (visually a step down from III with the same physics but I still love it)
6. LCS (a hollow imitation of III with the blocky, grainy ugliess of SA's engine instead of III's)

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago Edited by ~Tiger~, 2 days ago.

Vice city is actually a reskinned gta3 or built from the same game engine .vice city has improved on the colors and lighting effects i.e. sun rays sunsets shades shadows neons weather, wind etc gta San Andreas has better character models and all kinds of effects I like all 3games in the trilogy just under stand that 3is the foundation the house was built on vie city is the framework and San Andreas is the completed model. Also I don't get the hate for liberty city stories.

• Edward Nashton likes this

Wiseguy94
  • Wiseguy94

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago Edited by ~Tiger~, 2 days ago. no need to quote the entire conversation

I went and looked at III, VC and SA side by side a few minutes ago just to refresh once again, and once again III still has the best-looking graphics both in art style and polish. They were clearly going for a retro-neon theme with VC. Well, that gave it some of the cool vibe but the cars are chunkier, the character models are even blurrier than III and the water is...awkward. It looks like glass. III has a murky ocean that looks like an ocean.

SA has better character models at the cost of everything else being oddly dark (as in dark lighting), blocky and ugly on the eyes. SA has aged the worst to me. It's visually an eyesore. III doesn't do that to me.

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

GTA III is better looking than Vice City and San Andreas......... It doesn't have the smoothness of III's graphics and everything is blockier and chunkier. San Andreas is arguably even worse because it's even more blocky and choppy.

Erm... I don't quite remember it that way. 

Spoiler

But hey, that's your opinion, man. Agree to disagree.

• B Dawg, Journey_95, GTA-Biker and 1 other like this

Jammsbro
  • Jammsbro

Pogo 4 life

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 2 days ago

GTA IV is still obviously the best because of the great story and characters, well done setting and atmosphere.

And third its V, it has a lot of flaws (sh*t antagonists, dumbed down physics etc.)  but the world Rockstar created is filled with detail and its still a lot of fun. After LC, LS is certainly the best open world city in gaming. The story while messy was also entertaining.

Well, IV was boring, had boring characters, a basic plot (honestly, people are still trying to make out that it had any sort of story) As for the setting. I ws very pretty, but nothing but more and more city got old very quickly.

V Has the two best antagonists around. Mike and Trevor were complicated characters who weren't just cookie cutter bad guys like basic model Niko was. As for the physics? Who wants realistic driving in a gta game? f*ck that. Remember the days of your car accidentally flipping over in the middle of nowhere and you knew it was a long run back to civilisation because it was just about to go on fire? V solved that by allowing us control in the air. A vast gaming improvement.

For me?

V

SA

III

IV

Vice City

Agree with all of that except for the Vice City part. I'd gladly play VC any day over IV despite it being badly dated and featuring some cringeworthy voice work. The setting, vibe, weaponry and soundtrack feel like a playable 80s action movie. Which is a great idea for a game in the 2010s, actually....

I went to VC after SA and we all know that going backwards doesn't work :)

• B Dawg likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

GTA III is better looking than Vice City and San Andreas......... It doesn't have the smoothness of III's graphics and everything is blockier and chunkier. San Andreas is arguably even worse because it's even more blocky and choppy.

Erm... I don't quite remember it that way. 

Spoiler

But hey, that's your opinion, man. Agree to disagree.

I like playing gta 3 on my ps4 but yeah they are very blocky looking they almost look like goldeneye 64 characters.

• Edward Nashton likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

Over the top fun with outsell repetitive Ness anymtime. Rockstar had vice city and San Andreas then they took a step back with 4and stripped features. Just because the optd for a darker fritter story doesn't mean they had to sacrifice the fun, that where gta IV failed. Along those lines I think the story lingered longer than it should . It should've been 4or five missions shorter either that or or the game could've had more missions that wasn't go here shoot these guys. For example the game could've used more missions like "out of the closet" or I'll take her or bull in a China shop orflat line.
  • Son of Zeus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users