Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Rockstar Take Some Ideas From Different Games?

49 replies to this topic
VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

I think they should try to get NBA2ks My Park controls into their game for Street hoop games.

• jaljax likes this

the consigliere
  • the consigliere

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

I think they should some sort of witness system like mafia 3 where you have to be mindful of who might have seen you commit a crime and take care of any witnesses to add a bit more realism and challenge.

• jaljax and VictorVince1239 like this

Mayochiki
  • Mayochiki

︻デ═一

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

Youre kidding right? Rockstar broke the gaming mold when it introduced GTA 3. Literally every game since then has tried desperately to be the next GTA. This game has influenced any game whether sandboxed or non linear. This franchise had provided ideas to even non related genres, why do you think NBA2k has storymode now? GR Wildlands is just GTA retold from an Tom Clancys view.

What makes this game successful is by NOT borrowing from what we already seen in other games, and this what keeps the other games boring as GTA pretty much covers anything and everything one hopes to find in a videogame.

They need to borrow from their other GTA titles and add more of those features, like basketball, pool, surfing, club dancing, fishing, driving school...etc

You're kidding, right? Rockstar isn't the only company who brought something new to the gaming scene. What makes games successful is learning of what others do and try to come up with a new twist.

They definetly need to take a look at other titles AND their own to see what should be added to GTA Next. Closing to themselves would be simply stupid.

• Mister Pink, Zello and jaljax like this

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

I think they should some sort of witness system like mafia 3 where you have to be mindful of who might have seen you commit a crime and take care of any witnesses to add a bit more realism and challenge.

Agreed, albeit I think there should be both loud and stealth missions or rather ability to choose how you want to build your character.

• jaljax likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

Well they already do. The wanted radius in GTA IV for example is very similar to the one used in Scarface: The World Is Yours.

Personally I think it's imperative to take other ideas and improve on them not just for R*, but other developers too.

I was thinking Driver: Parallel Lines, even the driving mechanics from the game but you could be right. 

• Algonquin Assassin and jaljax like this

the consigliere
  • the consigliere

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

Agreed, albeit I think there should be both loud and stealth missions or rather ability to choose how you want to build your character.

​Yeah exactly, I love the loud missions but I think there should also be a lot of stealth missions, disposing of bodies, evidence having to cover your tracks. I think there should be more consequences or developments from how you go about your missions such as building up respect, reputation, fear but also if you go too far you get heat from the police and rival gangs so there's the added challenge of choosing the best balance and playing it the way you want.

• jaljax likes this

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

Well they already do. The wanted radius in GTA IV for example is very similar to the one used in Scarface: The World Is Yours.

Personally I think it's imperative to take other ideas and improve on them not just for R*, but other developers too.

And Just cause 3's version of heat level with 5 stars is propably inspired by GTAV too.

• jaljax likes this

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Never played JC3 but how exactly?

• jaljax likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Only from good games though, I don't want to see typical Ubisoft nonsense in GTA games

​Yeah exactly, I love the loud missions but I think there should also be a lot of stealth missions, disposing of bodies, evidence having to cover your tracks. I think there should be more consequences or developments from how you go about your missions such as building up respect, reputation, fear but also if you go too far you get heat from the police and rival gangs so there's the added challenge of choosing the best balance and playing it the way you want.

I don't see why, this isn't a stealth game. I mean some would be fine but there is no need to have the whole choose your adventure thing in GTA. Its always half assed (see Mafia 3)

• jaljax likes this

the consigliere
  • the consigliere

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

I don't want it to become a stealth game but some is needed i think for realism, running around like a one man army with 10 different machine guns in the holster for every mission takes me out of the game a bit. I just want there to be challenge to playing the game and some thought required, not just mowing through waves of enemies every mission.

Don't get me wrong I like that too I just think GTA SP isn't very replayable and I hope the next GTA brings a lot of new opportunities and ideas. 

• ivarblaauw and jaljax like this

JackHowitzer
  • JackHowitzer

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:22 PM Edited by JackHowitzer, 24 July 2017 - 12:53 AM.

I've always loved Scarface: The World Is Yours' drug-dealing/empire-building, smuggling and money laundering game mechanics which have never been topped since imo. That game was so beyond it's time it's ridiculous - it had police search zones (cones), upgradeable guns and even GPS in 2006!  It expanded on some of GTA trilogy's best ideas and took them to a whole 'nother level. I would love Rockstar to re-invent their crime mechanics and take a bit of inspiration from that game - especially if they ever have another go at empire building.

First of all - one of the many things that impressed me early on is that you could have lengthy unique conversations with every single NPC in the game - that was amazing. You also had a permanent smack-talking button that filled up a rage bar that gave you temporary rage-fuelled profanity-laced regenerating health boost during combat  way before special abilities in GTA5.

They expanded on GTA:VCs idea of buying property to use as drug fronts having them be required to perform drug shipment/distribution runs in each territory. Each territory had a store house stronghold which you have to capture from rival gangs to store and distribute to your fronts from in different parts of the city. As your empire grows and you need larger volumes of cocaine from larger suppliers to supply the more affluent areas you're eventually flying down to the Caribbean Islands to negotiate wholesale 30kg drug deals which you have to smuggle back to your store houses in speedboats battling DEA/Coastguard and rival smuggling gangs. Building a large gang all over the city is necessary to protect your storehouses and fronts from rival gangs during smuggling/distribution runs.

Money laundering was fantastic and is something GTA really should look at. All cash earned is dirty cash (unsaved) until you launder it at a corrupt banks who take commission which rises as you level up. You launder dirty cash at these banks using a quick-time negotiation mini-game to try and beat them down for the lowest percentage rate you can while they try to extort as much from you as they can . But if you fly to the Caribbean you can get much lower 1-3% money laundering rates. I used to do that all the time with like 40m+ dollar of dirty cash deposits during the end-game but there was no quick save and the islands were so damn dangerous that it was absolutely exhilarating trying to get to the banks without being murdered and robbed by local pirates, and militia. If your boat got tanked by pirates before you got there you'd be eaten by sharks for being to cheap to launder money in America!

Your ability to earn and gain privileged access to better more lucrative drug dealing contacts / deals is constrained by gang and police heat that you attract on the street which you have to pay down with bribes. If your cop and gang heat gets too high they will come for you but you have the option of attempting to intimidate cops and rival gangs to avoid hostilities but if you fail them the outcome is worse. The more heat you attract the harder it is to smuggle and distribute drugs to your fronts. If your henchmen die and one of your fronts is trashed and robbed before you can salvage it during distribution you loose the revenue from it during that drug run and consequently have to pay to renovate it and hire more security.

The more money you earn the bigger your reputation, - the bigger your reputation the better the contacts you unlock but also the harder it is to pay off corrupt cops and rival gangs but you do unlock further perks in the form of unique molls (gals) who grant you gameplay perks like extra health/regeneration, etc. at each reputation milestone but no hot coffee unfortunately. You earn a fortune but spending money has never been so much fun or felt so rewarding... unlike GTAV there's so much genuinely amazing stuff to buy in that game I don't think it will ever be topped. More property than even San Andreas - all of it linked to drug dealing activity. Also like San Andreas there's an rare import/export vehicle list that you can purchase exotic cars, boats and planes from and have these special vehicles delivered to you on request by a henchmen.

Rather than finding collectables in Scarface you buy collectables instead as you do IRL which makes so much more sense. You can buy tons of unique collectables from furnishing to antiquities like Incan relics to decorate your mansions with. When you start making megabucks the range of property and business investments available are incredible from law firms (cheaper bribes), to Military/Defense contractors (military vehicles, weapons), financial investors (cheaper investment prices), interior decorators (new mansion interiors), etc. all give you lots of cool unique gameplay perks and items and feed into/enhance your reputation rather than give more useless money that you can never spend as with GTAV. Additionally, for example the record label investment unlocks more music, the fashion investment gives you a range of unique personalised tailored suits to wear.

GTA TLAD even borrowed the arms dealer mechanics where instead of having to visit gun shops you have a henchmen deliver illegal weapons to your car which you won't find in gun stores. You could even use your cars as your inventory/weapons cache... which is so bloody genius I can't believe Rockstar have never thought of that... All in all plenty of interesting crime related Rockstar-inspired ideas I wouldn't mind Rockstar themselves revisiting.

• Luna Lovegood, ivarblaauw, LeBron. and 1 other like this

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

They should learn how to make car physics from Mafia II & III

• Yinepi and jaljax like this

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Howling Wolves MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Definitely look at Mafia 3 in terms of enterable houses and a lively city. In comparison to New Bordeaux, Los Santos feels dead.

Also why not use the amazing combat system of Max Payne 3 (or GR Wildlands). GTA V perfected the driving controls, on foot however... not so much.

Plus even though we love the map, I remember that most of the players expected at least multiple cities and a reason to go out of the city. GTA V did not deliver on that one. And taking 3.5 years to have a playable and fair online mode... that is way to long.

The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Professional

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

As far as online is concerned, they should definetly take some notes on stuff like "balance", for instance.

Making higher levels player harder to kill and give them better weapons is completely moronic.

• jaljax likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Youre kidding right? Rockstar broke the gaming mold when it introduced GTA 3. Literally every game since then has tried desperately to be the next GTA.

and yet, after 16  year, R* has not being able to implement simple mechanics like human shiled or throwable random object.
No, wait, they ADDED throwable random object in IV... just to remove the feature in V.
Go figure...

if they added the human shield feature you would complain that gta was trying to be saints row 3 like you guys have been saying since gta v was released :catspider:

• jaljax likes this

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

i want some stealth elements from metal gear solid...and god, this is a really hated opinion, but i would love at least a zombie cheat/mode in this game were all npc's turn into them slow moving walkers :p

• jaljax likes this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think they need to do some soul searching and figure out exactly what they want the future of GTA to be at this point, because it's starting to point in a more casual, less edgy direction. Seems to me like they're trying to dampen the crime aspects...maybe they don't want to risk a liability lawsuit?

• jaljax likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Its not like there's any shortage of ideas or creativity, but when you're a failure yourself as a developer that you can't even look in the right direction then taking ideas from someone won't make much of a difference. 

GTA is no longer the same GTA that I used to enjoy. 

• Yinepi and jaljax like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

What i would like to see and ever since they came out with Gta IV i always thought about this idea...

I think it would be a lot more realistic if they made workable gas pump's to pump up gas into your car & also i would like them to take some traffic law idea's from games that heavily inspired those option's like Mafia 1-2 & not to mention Scarface The World Is Yours with the ticket fine meter .

In Gta you never run out of gas unless you shoot the tank under the back wheel well of every vehicle that is gas basically.

And oh i almost forgot .. they should also add a charging station for electric vehicles as well.

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Yinepi, 3 weeks ago.

I think the law system of Mafia II in GTA would go a long way in making the game world more alive. Anyone play Watch Dogs 2? In that game you have an emotive wheel where you can choose different actions and your character will dance or flip people off or say something to NPCs. This I think would be another good way of adding more interaction with the game world, and at this point GTA really needs to make their world feel more alive and less like digital still life art.

They were in the right direction of feeling alive with GTA4, but with GTA5 the game world feels like a cemetery. You don't really see pedestrians doing much other than walking around screaming on their phones and attacking you for standing next to them. It feels artificial. The NPC's should be putting things in the trunk of their car, ordering food from hotdog stands and the taco trucks, swimming and scuba diving, taking photos of things other than your car, repairing roads, sitting on kerb of sidewalk, flipping other drivers other than you off, cops giving traffic tickets, other people washing their cars both at carwash and with soap and water in their driveway, gangs getting into shootouts with each other, random ambient street races at night, towing other cars... you get the idea. Other games have some of these, but GTAV has none. Which is shameful because content needed for most of these events already exist in the game, such as the bulldozer and dumper and the scuba gear and the two towtrucks; hotdogs, tacos, pens, and clipboard meshes I think are in the game files too.

Of all the things in GTA5, its the mission Scouting the Port that feels the most alive. Why are NPC's outside of that mission never at the port moving containers anyway?

• burnstern and jaljax like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users