Quantcast

» «
Photo

Hitman creators, IO Interactive up for sale. Who will buy?

35 replies to this topic
Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:44 PM Edited by Niobium, 28 May 2017 - 06:46 PM.

I wouldn't put all the blame on the SE here. Notice that their previous game - Kane & Lynch 2 was released in 2010, so that leaves them 6 years to make 6 maps the game featured.

Don't forget that game was meant to be released in December 2015, but it was pushed to March 2016 to "to expand what's available at launch." And initially the game was meant to be released in two parts. https://www.gamespot...i/1100-6430988/

Since the idea failed I guess we may assume that something didn't go exactly as planned and it wasn't fully SE decision to split the game in parts.
And there's of course this: http://www.sumo-digi...n-announcement/

whoever says that hitman suffered because it had 6 maps and had an episodic model does not understand the replay value of the game.

this was fully IO's decision to make hitman episodic. i hate SE but they are not responsible for the release model.

hitman being episodic is fine anyway. there are much worse things in the games industry than an episodic model

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Yeah the episodic model worked super well for this franchise in particular but it commercially hurt the game because people are just allergic to that sort of thing. They associate episodic gaming with something like Telltale so the general assumption was that this is a B-grade Hitman game rather than legit one of the best in the franchise.

Oh well. They're still supporting the game so I can't complain.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Glad that IOI are (once again) independet. They are their own boss now but money is needed nonetheless.

Static
  • Static

DeadStock

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:11 PM Edited by Static, 19 June 2017 - 12:27 AM.

Yeah the episodic model worked super well for this franchise in particular but it commercially hurt the game because people are just allergic to that sort of thing. They associate episodic gaming with something like Telltale so the general assumption was that this is a B-grade Hitman game rather than legit one of the best in the franchise.

Or it's because Hitman is the only episodic game that cost a full $60 whether you bought the full game at once or piece by piece. They only benefit of the episodic model for IO is the that it gave them more time to finish a game that shouldve been done a year prior. And tbh if it's not Blood Money then it is kinda B-grade Hitman game. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

Or it's because Hitman is the only episodic game what cost a full $60 whether you bought the full game at once or piece by piece. They only benefit of the episodic model for IO is the that it gave them more time to finish a game that shouldve been done a year prior. And tbh if it's not Blood Money then it is kinda B-grade Hitman game. 

That's partially true but you're ignoring how it allows them to take in feedback on what worked and what didn't. It also encourages replaying and learning each map bit by bit, something even Blood Money doesn't quite afford the same way.

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Plus being on a tighter budget meant they had to use to profits of one episode to finance the next one(s). I'm not really a fan of episodic gaming, but for a game like Hitman it worked suprisingly well. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users