Quantcast

» «
Photo

Hitman creators, IO Interactive up for sale. Who will buy?

35 replies to this topic
BLOOD
  • BLOOD

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:08 AM Edited by BLOOD, 11 May 2017 - 09:15 AM.

Square Enix is putting IO up for sale and which game publishers should buy them?

Source:https://www.vg247.co...io-interactive/

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Just after they nailed Hitman, what a shame.

Hopefully they take Hitman with them if possible.

• Mister Pink, Journey_95, Rockstar Vienna and 2 others like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:17 AM Edited by BLOOD, 11 May 2017 - 09:27 AM.

If Square Enix keeps Hitman and the other IPs then there is no point of other publishers buying them unless to support their own franchises and Projects. I am looking at Ubisoft 😂
  • Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

Just wanted to say... They nailed it with HITMAN. After the more then "meh" Absolution, Hitman 2016 was pretty amazing. Come on Take Two! Some talented people over there at IO!

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and Ivan1997GTA like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Just wanted to say... They nailed it with HITMAN. After the more then "meh" Absolution, Hitman 2016 was pretty amazing. Come on Take Two! Some talented people over there at IO!

T2 loves to own the IP along with the company. They might as well acquire Gearbox for Duke Nukem and Homeworld. And full control of Borderlands.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:51 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 May 2017 - 11:58 AM.

Yeah would love to see Take-Two or Rockstar making a Rockstar Denmark but working on IO's original titles and keep Hitman being like Hitman maybe even having IO show Rockstar a bit more about good stealth gameplay and multiple approaches in a stealth environment that could be incorporated in to GTA. 

Would love to see what Rockstar could inject in to the Kane & Lynch series if they had a chance to. I'd say it would be like some mix between Max Payne meets Kane & Lynch, dark, seedy and gritty shooter.

I would also imagine IO Interactive being honourable successors of Manhunt. I reckon they could make a Manhunt 3 that would please Rockstar original fans as well as new fans and fans of IO Interactive's work.

• Frantz Fuchs, ClaudeSpeed1911, BLOOD and 3 others like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

What? I thought Hitman was a massive success? 

This doesn't make much sense to me really but as I understand it doesn't Hitman belong to SE rather than IO? in that case they're keeping the IP.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

IO Interactive to retain hitman

https://nerds4lifebl...-retain-hitman/

Gamestar.de reported that the franchise will retain it’s position as part of IO when the studio is sold off to another publisher. Please do bear in mind that until Square Enix makes any official statement this is very much hearsay.
  • BLOOD and Actlikeyouknow like this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

Damn it, how do I cancel my bid?

• Spaghetti Cat likes this

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

If my parent gives me allowance this week ill save up with my friend and buy it
  • icecoldkilla1467, Actlikeyouknow and Leftist Bastard like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:33 PM Edited by Journey_95, 15 May 2017 - 09:34 PM.

Not sure, just want to say f*ck Square Enix. First they screw up Deus Ex (MD was great but cut in half by them and now Deus Ex is dead) and now Hitman which finally went back to its roots.

They may be worse than EA.

• Tchuck, Frantz Fuchs, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 1 other like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

Yeah would love to see Take-Two or Rockstar making a Rockstar Denmark but working on IO's original titles and keep Hitman being like Hitman maybe even having IO show Rockstar a bit more about good stealth gameplay and multiple approaches in a stealth environment that could be incorporated in to GTA. 

Would love to see what Rockstar could inject in to the Kane & Lynch series if they had a chance to. I'd say it would be like some mix between Max Payne meets Kane & Lynch, dark, seedy and gritty shooter.

I would also imagine IO Interactive being honourable successors of Manhunt. I reckon they could make a Manhunt 3 that would please Rockstar original fans as well as new fans and fans of IO Interactive's work.

Kane and Lynch are one of the most interesting characters in a game, psychopath criminals done right, unlike GTA5's Trevor. I would welcome them making a new one with better mechanics (K&L2 was almost there.)

Not sure, just want to say f*ck Square Enix. First they screw up Deus Ex (MD was great but cut in half by them and now Deus Ex is dead) and now Hitman which finally went back to its roots.

Tomb Raider is a possible canditate for their next kill. They seem to think it sold badly.

• Mister Pink and Fallcreek like this

Actlikeyouknow
  • Actlikeyouknow

One ugly motherf*cker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Tomb Raider is a possible canditate for their next kill. They seem to think it sold badly.

I still hold a grudge against those f*ckers for gutting United Front Games and running Sleeping Dogs into the ground because "It didn't meet expectations". What I mean is that the game profited, just not as much as they thought it would. Still salty over that.

• Mister Pink, Journey_95 and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

I still hold a grudge against those f*ckers for gutting United Front Games and running Sleeping Dogs into the ground because "It didn't meet expectations". What I mean is that the game profited, just not as much as they thought it would. Still salty over that.

Sleeping Dogs is a shame, it was one of the best open world games done right. But off course, good things have to be cancelled.

• Mister Pink and Actlikeyouknow like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

That may not necessarily be the case they likely pumped more marketing money into it than it was worth. Agree anyways though; SE are the worst gaming company out there right now, period. Worse than EA, Activision, Konami.

• Actlikeyouknow likes this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:10 PM Edited by toxluv, 16 May 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Love Io-Interactive, but never liked Square Enix's modus operandi.

Both the Hitman and Kane & Lynch franchises would be good among Rockstar Games' titles list, and they did an amazing job in every other publisher's game, but Max Payne (for example) was still pretty new and worked on it since its beginning. I don't see Rockstar Games taking over long-lasting and well-established series when they can't even show a couple of screens of a game they've been working 5 years on ('cause they have a lot of unreleased games they're working on), plus they (Rockstar) wouldn't feel it as theirs and end up messing it ('cause they don't know its fanbase).
  • ClaudeSpeed1911 and BLOOD like this

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

I'm actually more pissed about Deus Ex. The force Eidos to chop it in half so they can make a cashcow then cancel the sequel. Pricks.

• Journey_95 likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Sleeping Dogs is a shame, it was one of the best open world games done right. But off course, good things have to be cancelled.

Sleeping Dogs was a masterpiece. Great design of Hong Kong, great storyline, the fight system was pure gold and it was very fun to game.

Sadly we live in a world where Quantity is more important than Quality.

• Mister Pink, Journey_95, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 2 others like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

^ If you can get past the tutorials without falling asleep. Jesus Christ. I've never played a game that had it so bad.

As for the Hitman franchise, I have yet to play the new Hitman game but judging from gameplay clips it looks pretty good. However, the episodic release strategy is the dumbest sh*t I have ever heard.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

I don't understand why Square Enix would sell off the company. They've done excellently with Hitman, a real home run of a game, and was highly excited for "season 2" or whatever they decided to name it.

Hopefully a decent publisher picks them up. Anyone but Ubisoft or Activision would fit the bill, as long as they kept the core dev team and IPs.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:31 PM Edited by thatstupidbug, 22 May 2017 - 02:48 PM.

I don't understand why Square Enix would sell off the company. They've done excellently with Hitman, a real home run of a game, and was highly excited for "season 2" or whatever they decided to name it.

Hopefully a decent publisher picks them up. Anyone but Ubisoft or Activision would fit the bill, as long as they kept the core dev team and IPs.

Did hitman sell well?

this site

http://www.vgchartz....09/hitman-2016/

claim only 370.000 copies have been sold. But i don't know how accurate this site is

EDIT: my bad, those are just ps4 copies. there's also

XBOXONE

http://www.vgchartz....08/hitman-2016/

And i can't find the windows one so... 600.000 and counting

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:41 PM Edited by Tycek, 22 May 2017 - 02:49 PM.

I heard about 600 thousand copies sold, but it's still not a good result.

And everything is about the money and SE lost a lot with IO: http://www.hd.square...170511_01en.pdf

• thatstupidbug likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

^ If you can get past the tutorials without falling asleep. Jesus Christ. I've never played a game that had it so bad.

As for the Hitman franchise, I have yet to play the new Hitman game but judging from gameplay clips it looks pretty good. However, the episodic release strategy is the dumbest sh*t I have ever heard.

Maybe if SE hadn't rushed them, pretty sure that's why it had to be episodic.
  • ΣΓ likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

I assumed it was a publisher thing. Still counter productive.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

I wouldn't put all the blame on the SE here. Notice that their previous game - Kane & Lynch 2 was released in 2010, so that leaves them 6 years to make 6 maps the game featured.

Don't forget that game was meant to be released in December 2015, but it was pushed to March 2016 to "to expand what's available at launch." And initially the game was meant to be released in two parts. https://www.gamespot...i/1100-6430988/

Since the idea failed I guess we may assume that something didn't go exactly as planned and it wasn't fully SE decision to split the game in parts.

And there's of course this: http://www.sumo-digi...n-announcement/

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:14 AM

Did hitman sell well?

this site

http://www.vgchartz....09/hitman-2016/

claim only 370.000 copies have been sold. But i don't know how accurate this site is

EDIT: my bad, those are just ps4 copies. there's also

XBOXONE

http://www.vgchartz....08/hitman-2016/

And i can't find the windows one so... 600.000 and counting

Steam Spy also counts 600k on the game for PC. So, about 1.2m? Give or take a couple hundred thousand since we don't have info on how the episodes sold.

Mind you I didn't say it sold well; I meant it was a home run of a game as in it was a great game. And it had a solid foundation upon which the next game could be developed and released.

I wouldn't put all the blame on the SE here. Notice that their previous game - Kane & Lynch 2 was released in 2010, so that leaves them 6 years to make 6 maps the game featured.

They did release Hitman Absolution in 2012, though. With Square Enix going through some financial difficulties in 2013/2014, and the announcement of the game in 2015, it's fair to say development began around 2014 at the earliest. Then January 2016 they announced the episodic thing, which was likely their way of avoiding a major delay. (Mind you; you could still buy the full game at the regular price and get the episodes as they come)

If they had planned for episodic from the beginning, I think we would have ended up with a better delivery and experience.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:11 AM

The story kinda went to sh*t with Absolution. I can't say I will miss this franchise very much if it dies completely.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

@Tchuck

I somehow thought that Absolution was released before K&L2. I'm totally sorry about that and that means that IO had 4 years to make new game.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Having worked at Square Enix Japan, all I can say is that they don't really interfere with the business of the other branches, which is a shame.

For better or worse, Square Enix Japan doesn't mind delaying a game if it means it can be worked on and improved to meet a better release. 

If only those practices were also extended to the other studios!

• Mister Pink likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

Tchuck: No synergy between the Japanese parent company and the Danish subsidiary. So alot of cultural clashes. Atleast they did not shutdown the studio and make it become history.
  • Tchuck and Ivan1997GTA like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users