|As a frequent flyer I'd hate for the engines to get louder. Especially since a lot of the routes I fly are 10+ hours. I do like it when they spool the engines for take-off though so I don't mind the loudness, I just don't want the engines to be that loud at cruising speed. |
Only have been on a few flights and take off is definitely the best. The roar of the engines and surge from their thrust is amazing! However, I recall on my first flight that once we got in the air the engines made a constant roar. Movies tricked the sh*t out of me... somehow I expected it to be as quiet as a library. I haven't flown for more than 4 hours, not sure if I can handle any longer.
|QUOTE (Outcast @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 04:42)|
| have you decided what sort of aircraft you're building? |
I'm going with a P-51/P-40/Mitsu Zero/etc style WWII fighter type plane. Since it's my first time doing such a thing and working with primarily foam I am not going to do it exactly to scale or to any specific design specifications. Just base it off the planes of that era.
The below is more of a "where I'm at" with this, so unless you care about what's involved with this you can pass it up.
I've got the main fuselage pretty much shaped up. It's still a bit rough because I need to determine how I'm going to put the rest together. I think I'll create the wings, rudder, and elevators first and worry about attaching later on. Keep everything rough then work on cutting into the fuselage. I ended up scrapping my first fuselage as the shape was junk and would have been too much work to fix.
To help cut through the foam I made a hot wire cutter. Consists of a dimmer switch, transformer, and a bare wire (using guitar string) that heats up and cuts through foam like butter. It's helped a bit, but my wire keeps flexing and ruining cuts. Need to figure that out.
I started working on the canopy and decided I'd rather have that look nice and clean... so I create a plastic vacuum former
Cost me a total of $10 in parts, works wonderfully for my purposes. Working on the mold for the canopy now. As I type this I've got base of primer drying to be sanded for a smooth surface so the plastic doesn't pick up a bunch of bumps when molding.
It's amazing how much work is involved in just the basics of making your own plane. Sure, I could have been finished in a week, but I'm looking to have this one last and look decent so I am spending my time to ensure it's going to function properly and have a nice appearance. Definitely a fun way to spend my down time when I actually have it!