» «
Photo

Is grinding worth it vs Shark Cards?

218 replies to this topic
Bishie
  • Bishie

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:43 PM Edited by Bishie, 19 May 2017 - 03:47 PM.

You have to remind yourself that If everybody resorted to grinding missions, then Rockstar would very quickly adjust the rewards system to compensate, or implement some sort of subscription model. It's all about making money at the end of the day, and if purchasing the base game is your only contribution, then you are not Rockstar's target audience.

Admittedly, I'd prefer some sort of subscription model, whereby members have access to exclusive activities and content, as well as in-game discounts for cars and properties, but I'm probably in the minority on this one!

For the record, I do purchase shark cards on the odd occasion.

• gtafan26, LL Cool L and xXGriMnEviLXx like this

Deadman2112
  • Deadman2112

<i> C U, you filthy shoe thieving shoe thief!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:12 PM Edited by Deadman2112, 19 May 2017 - 04:19 PM.

I don't think that they're going to adjust the payouts if people started grinding LOL that seems a bit far-fetched especially considering the fact that they used to be a lot lower than they are now

Or another subject
It's funny to think that people will take money from a modder And admit it Without even batting an eye

Yet, they act like buying a shark card is punking out or something
That really doesn't make sense to me

There's nothing wrong with grinding If you have the time and Desire to do so
Then again there's nothing wrong with buying some Shark cards if you can afford them

I purchase Shark cards
Never on my account, but on my brother's account...
yes absolutely

And there's nothing wrong with doing so

xXGriMnEviLXx
  • xXGriMnEviLXx

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

The Shark Cards exchange rate is horrendous. The whale shark card costs $100, but you can't get the most expensive ship for that
  • rlk232 likes this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Rest in peace, Chester.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Nothing wrong with buying a shark card, in fact, I thank you for supporting the game and assuring the free DLC for the rest of us who don't pay for it.

But then again, like it has been said before, Shark Cards are one hell of a rip-off, and I don't buy then on a principle, I dislike having to use real money to access features in a game I know can be accessed for free.

But again, I thank you for supporting the game.
  • LL Cool L, Coleco, JuniorChubb and 2 others like this

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

I supported the game by buying it on ps3 and later ps4. Shark cards should fund servers, real anti cheat, regular bug fixes and improvements to the game. Updates are "free" and expensive thanks to the cards being the reason why the payouts are what they are, and a good example is like CEO crates. Gotta be in CEO office, have to sit down with long animation every time, buy crates for lots of money, than go steal the crate you just bought apparently. Bring it to warehouse have to use that laptop to sell than back to CEO office again to buy crates again. Including the fact that you can only carry 1 crate at a time to slow down your ability to do them solo. Fly buzzard to crate getting crate and flying it back to warehouse 3x. Remember when we could land buzzard on marker with the third crate and didn't automatically get teleported inside. Can't do that anymore.
  • The-Irish-Hunter likes this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Rest in peace, Chester.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

I supported the game by buying it on ps3 and later ps4. Shark cards should fund servers, real anti cheat, regular bug fixes and improvements to the game. Updates are "free" and expensive thanks to the cards being the reason why the payouts are what they are, and a good example is like CEO crates. Gotta be in CEO office, have to sit down with long animation every time, buy crates for lots of money, than go steal the crate you just bought apparently. Bring it to warehouse have to use that laptop to sell than back to CEO office again to buy crates again. Including the fact that you can only carry 1 crate at a time to slow down your ability to do them solo. Fly buzzard to crate getting crate and flying it back to warehouse 3x. Remember when we could land buzzard on marker with the third crate and didn't automatically get teleported inside. Can't do that anymore.

We do get patches, some with bug fixes, some with content, there are anti-cheat measures in place(though they suck because R* went the cheapest network infrastructure for this game(listen servers)), and the servers are still up, after 4 years, though again, their infrastructure sucks.

Update itens are expensive because of shark cards, yes, otherwise they wouldn't sell them and they couldn't sustain bringing more DLC, they would have to resort to paid DLC patches or would stop updates altogether, either way people would complain(you can never please everyone), also, there are TOO MANY cheaters going for money glitches or asking molders for money, and that happened even when the DLC itens has reasonable prices(before I'll Gotten Gains).

About the animations, well they are there for immersion, if you think they are a problem you can use first person to move faster, but this is more of a nitpick.

You buy the crates, yes, but someone else always comes and steal them before you get there, even your assistant comments this through text messages.

And about your last remark of not being able to land the buzzard and automatically warping to the warehouse...I can still do that, might be a glitch on your end or the warehouse you own.

If you still think that the grinding factor in this game is pain, well I'm sorry but that is your problem, as I learned to deal with what issues this game has and take whatever comes(otherwise this wouldn't have been the only game I play for the last 4 years).

And like I always said, you're not forced to buy none of the next DLC itens unless you really want them.
  • LL Cool L and MuralDeciphered like this

ALifeOfMisery
  • ALifeOfMisery

I see dead people...real ones....often.

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

I use "grinding" to describe doing the same job over and over, I don't use it in a derogatory way.

GTA has morphed into a vehicle collection sim for me, can't buy them without in game cash. My "grind", unless there are good bonuses, is VIP, source car, sell car, repeat.

I still really enjoy the game and the "grind".
  • malcolm_tucker likes this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

no

glitching is though

FlyingTank
  • FlyingTank

Explosion Aficionado

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

The way I see it:

If you have plenty of time to kill (off-work, out of school, responsibilities taken care of) and/or lack significant disposable income, just grind for the cash.

If you're a very busy individual without a lot of free time AND have significant disposable income, Shark Cards may be a more viable option.
  • duskpanthers likes this

RetroStyle
  • RetroStyle

Give me a Minute, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:10 AM

I like grindin personally. Buyin sharks would make me appreciate my stuff less imo. Plus I already spent hundreds on multiple systems. Between broke discs, ps3, n ps4 i spent about three hundo.

• Pedinhuh likes this

duskpanthers
  • duskpanthers

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Singapore

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:56 AM Edited by duskpanthers, 22 May 2017 - 06:58 AM.

buying shark cards allow me to fully enjoy the game without spending time grinding. But I do agree the satisfaction of buying a car dropped significantly using shark cards, but i am happier spending my time in freeroam fooling around and not strategizing every minute to earn money

• AfroKloud likes this

sudon't
  • sudon't

Non-Playable Character

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Grinding isn't fun, but at the same time, shark cards are too expensive 

You’re right, grinding isn’t fun. That’s why I quit the Cargo Warehouse stuff after filling it once. I felt like I was getting off work, going home, then starting my second job in Los Santos. Same with all the other CEO/Biker Gang stuff. It’s the same half-dozen missions, over and over. I shut all that sh*t down after about the forty-eighth time LJT called me.

OTOH, I enjoy doing the Heists with my friends, and even doing Pac Standard finales is still fun, especially since the payout is good. Contact Missions are still fun, (but please R*, make some new ones), and so are any number of other activities in the game. In short, don’t grind. Play the game. You’ll make money. I’ve been playing the game for a long time now, but that’s pretty much all I do is play the game. The only grinding I did was the Pac Standard finales, but it didn’t feel like a grind. I own everything in the game that I want to own, (and some stuff I wish I didn’t, like the Yacht and submarine), and have about $13 million in the bank. Don’t stress over money. Just play, and the money will come. And when it does, spend it judiciously. I’ve decided to let my friends try out all the new stuff when it comes out. Then I can see if I really want it. Plus, it usually gets discounted later.

I’ll tell you one thing, I’m not about to spend real money to buy fake money. 

• Xiled and Tonguegirl like this

LL Cool L
  • LL Cool L

Living Healthy

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

one thing I dont like is how you either grind non stop, buy shark cards or cheat

there are some of us that actually try to play to have fun, be creative, try out new things and not constantly worry about money

the game became so much more enjoyable when I started playing this way...constantly grinding and thinking about cash is so draining

like people who rush through missions....so dead, its like having the sexiest girl in the world and busting a nut in one second, take your time..saviour it, try new approaches to missions, try guns you dont noramlly use, give yourself a challenge, try and do a mission with only the musket

this game is an escape from the everyday same old sh*t, why bring that mentally to a world where you can do almost anything you want....

• malcolm_tucker, Opzeker, JuniorChubb and 4 others like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Sharks are like card's, they will eat your resource.now if you want to grind you will drown, only then you will sea thee shark for the card that he is.

GTASA-Pilot
  • GTASA-Pilot

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Many are complaining about the grinding for money aspect of gta online and at the same time want to buy everything that can be purchased. Earning money in gta online have never been easier since the CEO and Bikers DLC came out last year. Imagine how hard it was to earn money back when clubs, businesses and organizations didn't exist, even worse if we go further back before heists was released. I think most players back then, in 2013 and 2014, were poor and couldn't afford much without modders giving them money.

So don't complain about that you have to grind your ass off to become rich in this game because the game does not force you to do that. If you grind because you want a lot of money in your bank, that's your problem because you are being greedy and want to own 50 expensive vehicles and everything else instead of just being satisfied with owning max 3-4 vehicles and one or two houses/apartments.

There is nothing wrong with aiming to own everything and have plenty of money in the game as long as you accept the fact that nothing comes for free and that you have to be willing to put in the effort required to make that goal come true. Work hard to get what you want or just accept what you have now, it's your choice.

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

2013/2014 ah back when you could play for only 4-5 hours doing missions and have enough $ to buy the most expensive thing in the game. Missions were really good pay before Nofunstar nerfed there payouts by making them time based. I miss making $234,000 an hour playing coveted before they completely changed the mission. Now 5 hours only buys like 20% of the most expensive thing in the game
  • The-Irish-Hunter likes this

GTAForumsUser1
  • GTAForumsUser1

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

one thing I dont like is how you either grind non stop, buy shark cards or cheat

there are some of us that actually try to play to have fun, be creative, try out new things and not constantly worry about money

the game became so much more enjoyable when I started playing this way...constantly grinding and thinking about cash is so draining

like people who rush through missions....so dead, its like having the sexiest girl in the world and busting a nut in one second, take your time..saviour it, try new approaches to missions, try guns you dont noramlly use, give yourself a challenge, try and do a mission with only the musket

this game is an escape from the everyday same old sh*t, why bring that mentally to a world where you can do almost anything you want....

But if you want to own and enjoy new content you must buy it... How can you be so patient that you earn money so slowly that you may never get to enjoy new cars? Without new content what is the point of playing a 3.5 year old game?

LestersSiesta
  • LestersSiesta

Snitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

I haven't actively completed a mission in at least a year. Idle my way to millions. Just like real life...oh wait.

LL Cool L
  • LL Cool L

Living Healthy

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

But if you want to own and enjoy new content you must buy it... How can you be so patient that you earn money so slowly that you may never get to enjoy new cars? Without new content what is the point of playing a 3.5 year old game?

you missed the point buy making it an argument for or against grinding/ shark cards...

I am saying that this not your only options....by just playing the game you earn money...without even thinking about it...just play but don't sit there speeding through the same boring missions over and over again cos they pay the best...people do this all while they wait for a new dlc, it comes, they buy everything then do it again till the next....

to each is there own I guess

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Rest in peace, Chester.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

/\
That's usually how I have been playing the game lately.
Since 2x on heists I have reached 15 millions on the bank, that's enough for me so now I'm just waiting for the opportunity to do CMM with some folks and also wait for gun running.
Now I'm just driving around, doing some stunt races I like, do a VIP work when there is a jet griefer in the lobby, just for the challenge.
I also hunt bounties, do free mode events, help other folks with their motirclubs or organizations.
I haven't touched crates and I/E cars since 2x heists ended, yet I still made a extra million.
So I'm just playing the game and money is still coming naturally, only a little bit slower.

ioxwave
  • ioxwave

GetaLife CEO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:40 PM Edited by ioxwave, 23 May 2017 - 08:40 PM.

I was watching Broughy's podcast thing yesterday and they touched upon an interesting point I hadn't really thought about before;

You can only make about $200k/hr at most grinding legitimately, and you can buy $500k for £6 (UK). UK minimum wage is £7.20/hr so grinding irl and buying shark cards will earn you twice as much as grinding in-game. You need to earn $500k/hr+ before it starts to make sense.

It's a stupid dilemma that's really made me question what I'm doing, I grind a fair bit but I've also spent about £50 on shark cards. Grinding isn't fun, but at the same time, shark cards are too expensive (even if it works out 'cheaper' time-wise) and I'm currently on sick-leave with an injured back so I don't have the luxury of picking overtime hours to fund my GTA lifestyle. Personally I would much rather work for an hour than grind doing something I don't enjoy for an hour.

So what does everyone else think? Grind until you've got a headache and your fed up whilst sticking it to R* for their extortionate prices, or, don't be such a lazy prick, get out and help your employers business, help the economy grow, get some fresh air, do the normal things that humans should do, all the while pandering to R*'s sh*t and throwing all your money down the drain?

id say stick it to the man by working for them, that is the government of the united states. and pay rockstar for freeing you of their bs so they can make a gta 6 even greater about sticking it to the man... once again.

alternatively just use mods.

rlk232
  • rlk232

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:39 AM Edited by rlk232, 24 May 2017 - 05:44 AM.

I just keep my bad boy in rest mode and about we the 2x bonuses. I think I had 2x on missions for nearly 3 weeks and easily made 13-15m in that time span. Shark cards suck and also don't include any xp oddly enough.

Mattcarnes
  • Mattcarnes

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

I was watching Broughy's podcast thing yesterday and they touched upon an interesting point I hadn't really thought about before;

You can only make about $200k/hr at most grinding legitimately, and you can buy $500k for £6 (UK). UK minimum wage is £7.20/hr so grinding irl and buying shark cards will earn you twice as much as grinding in-game. You need to earn $500k/hr+ before it starts to make sense.

It's a stupid dilemma that's really made me question what I'm doing, I grind a fair bit but I've also spent about £50 on shark cards. Grinding isn't fun, but at the same time, shark cards are too expensive (even if it works out 'cheaper' time-wise) and I'm currently on sick-leave with an injured back so I don't have the luxury of picking overtime hours to fund my GTA lifestyle. Personally I would much rather work for an hour than grind doing something I don't enjoy for an hour.

So what does everyone else think? Grind until you've got a headache and your fed up whilst sticking it to R* for their extortionate prices, or, don't be such a lazy prick, get out and help your employers business, help the economy grow, get some fresh air, do the normal things that humans should do, all the while pandering to R*'s sh*t and throwing all your money down the drain?

honest as f*ck take 2 got greedy on the system you only earn decent money through CEO cars or maybe bike coke lab if you ha EA friends and no gridders but the problem with shark cars is the payout they give you isn't really worth buying them I mean if it was $5 for $1m I would buy but the most expensive card only gives 8m for $100 that's enough to buy maybe 3-4 supercars lol

If you have hours upon hours of free time to play the same jobs over and over, grinding is the way.

If you have money to burn, buy all you need.
Or just grind and buy,buy and grind,grind grind grind
<Sigh>

true point if you have a job and want to get some of the new sh*t then open your wallet but in my case I have more then enough time to CEO grind

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:03 PM Edited by Rockstar_Fanboy, 24 May 2017 - 09:03 PM.

Spoiler

Most of Gta consists of you doing the same activities over and over for the goal of attaining money to spend on things. That is the foundation of Gta Online, and there is no denying that. Its just that it gives you a good variety of options to do your grinding. Get sick of one form of grinding you move onto another form of grinding.

We will just have to agree to disagree.  You equate doing something over and over as a grind.  That is not what makes something a grind.  Would you characterize continuing to have sex as a grind (no pun intended)? 

This is funny, but I put "grind" into dictionary dot com and look what came up as definition # 13:

Digital Technology. (in a video game) to perform a monotonous task repeatedly in order to advance a character to a higher level or rank:
You have to grind for hours before you can embark on the main story mission.

This is my point and where we differ--once it becomes monotonous, I stop doing it.  That is because I play the game for fun.  Hence, I never let it become a grind for me.

There are people who keep doing it when it is monotonous simply because they have a monetary goal and they see that as the best way to get there.  I am not one of those people. 

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Yes you f*cking can

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

VulcanFanatic
  • VulcanFanatic

Long time GTA online player

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

Spoiler

Most of Gta consists of you doing the same activities over and over for the goal of attaining money to spend on things. That is the foundation of Gta Online, and there is no denying that. Its just that it gives you a good variety of options to do your grinding. Get sick of one form of grinding you move onto another form of grinding.

We will just have to agree to disagree.  You equate doing something over and over as a grind.  That is not what makes something a grind.  Would you characterize continuing to have sex as a grind (no pun intended)? 

This is funny, but I put "grind" into dictionary dot com and look what came up as definition # 13:

Digital Technology. (in a video game) to perform a monotonous task repeatedly in order to advance a character to a higher level or rank:
You have to grind for hours before you can embark on the main story mission.

This is my point and where we differ--once it becomes monotonous, I stop doing it.  That is because I play the game for fun.  Hence, I never let it become a grind for me.

There are people who keep doing it when it is monotonous simply because they have a monetary goal and they see that as the best way to get there.  I am not one of those people. 
Many people use the same strategy to succeed in games as they do in real life, they work for what they want. I know quite a few players that refuse to grind on GTA because it's " boring" or "not fun". These are the same players that have almost nothing in game and complain about about how much everything costs.coincidentally, these players also have nothing in real life either, no jobs, quit school and depend on mommy and daddy for everything.

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

Lmfao. Are people seriously getting high and mighty and looking down on people because they don't want to grind for hours to make imaginary money in a video game? Alright then. You keep telling yourself how superior you are.

As Brian Meech said in GTAIV: "Go mine salt for 50 years". I'll be playing much more interesting and fun game experiences, while you're playing Titan of a Job and sourcing vehicles for the 500th time.
  • malcolm_tucker and JuniorChubb like this

VulcanFanatic
  • VulcanFanatic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Lmfao. Are people seriously getting high and mighty and looking down on people because they don't want to grind for hours to make imaginary money in a video game? Alright then. You keep telling yourself how superior you are.

As Brian Meech said in GTAIV: "Go mine salt for 50 years". I'll be playing much more interesting and fun game experiences, while you're playing Titan of a Job and sourcing vehicles for the 500th time.

I don't really think it's so much people looking down on others and feeling superior, its looking at people's game habits as a mirror of how they are in real life. People that are bullies in real life enjoy the same thing in game, people that are lazy in real life are usually lazy in game too.

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Yes you f*cking can

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:45 PM

I don't really think it's so much people looking down on others and feeling superior, its looking at people's game habits as a mirror of how they are in real life. People that are bullies in real life enjoy the same thing in game, people that are lazy in real life are usually lazy in game too.

That's just not true at all, as is your previous post. I'm not friends with any dickheads yet 99% of my friends spend 99% of their game time shooting people in the face on COD etc. PvPers and PvEers are incompatible with each other and we both make silly presumptions about the other. People's gaming habits are an indication of how they want to spend their spare time, not how they behave in their general life (I race sims with a wheel but I don't drive irl out of choice, what is that supposed to say about me?). And it's not lazy to think that the game's economy is unfair, you just have a different opinion on what constitutes a fair effort/time:reward ratio

VulcanFanatic
  • VulcanFanatic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:42 AM Edited by VulcanFanatic, 25 May 2017 - 12:44 AM.

That's just not true at all, as is your previous post. I'm not friends with any dickheads yet 99% of my friends spend 99% of their game time shooting people in the face on COD etc. PvPers and PvEers are incompatible with each other and we both make silly presumptions about the other. People's gaming habits are an indication of how they want to spend their spare time, not how they behave in their general life (I race sims with a wheel but I don't drive irl out of choice, what is that supposed to say about me?). And it's not lazy to think that the game's economy is unfair, you just have a different opinion on what constitutes a fair effort/time:reward ratio
Well, since I don't know you like I know the people I posted about, it's hard to say exactly what your post says about you but maybe it says you would like to drive, but don't want to work enough in real life to afford the privelige and maybe you are one of the people that demands $15 an hour to flip burgers because of your effort/time reward ratio viewpoint. As I said in an earlier post, I know a lot of young people that won't grind on GTA because they say it's "boring" and "not fun" but they complain that they have no money and everything costs too much. Real life is like that too and real jobs are seldom fun and are often boring and you won't have anything in real life unless you work for it, inherit it, steal it or have it handed to you by the government. Games are supposed to be fun but a game where you can become a CEO, run businesses and have many things to buy requires you to act like a real business man and work and build your business. You don't get a successful business by doing little or nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users