Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is grinding worth it vs Shark Cards?

218 replies to this topic
The-Irish-Hunter
  • The-Irish-Hunter

Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, Hunter?

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

@ Xiled... Contact missions are free to start, host or crew dude, another thought this on another thread very recently too... But they are free man,

No, they're $200

• dieseltech20 likes this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

It's a shame you find a quirky video game option worse than someone telling an internet stranger to kill themselves.

But hey who am I to judge?

I didn't even read that part of your post to be honest, still yes, it's far worse !. So worse, my god it's bad

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Now you sound beyond stupid. Good day.
  • elfoam likes this

flexcreator
  • flexcreator

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Spoiler

The problem is that you can't really do what you want to do without first either grinding or buying shark cards to get to the stage where you are a CEO etc

There are players in GTA who want to do some BMX tricks. You don't need to grind or buy shark cards to do that. 

Like I said in other threads, there is no "must have" item in the game. It's all about your play style.

But for me making money in GTA is a game of it's own. I like to optimize the process and try things no one ever did before. As long as you keep experimenting - you are not grinding.

KWF1981
  • KWF1981

Homeboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago

@ The-Irish-Hunter... Another in the thread 'How many jobs have you completed online' also thought is was $200 bucks... He tested it too, after I corrected him, and confirmed my point. They're free man, seriously.

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Mountain Bike Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 2 weeks ago

Spoiler

The problem is that you can't really do what you want to do without first either grinding or buying shark cards to get to the stage where you are a CEO etc

There are players in GTA who want to do some BMX tricks. You don't need to grind or buy shark cards to do that. 

Like I said in other threads, there is no "must have" item in the game. It's all about your play style.

But for me making money in GTA is a game of it's own. I like to optimize the process and try things no one ever did before. As long as you keep experimenting - you are not grinding.

There is definitely to much emphasise on owning 'stuff' in GTAO just like there is IRL.

I make you right on most counts, except maybe for racing. Sports and Muscle have free competitive cars, Coupes and some other classes you can steal a competitive car but when it comes to Super Cars if you want to race competitively you do need to splash out. If you want to cover every class with a fully modded car it will cost you.

You could always host and switch off customs, but you might end up racing on your own a lot.

DoucheBagForum
  • DoucheBagForum

Protect the rule from a unbiased perspective

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by DoucheBagForum, 2 weeks ago.

never bought a shark card, made over 400 legit millions, never once felt like a grind (well, once, did 15m in 2 days when 50% ceo sell bonus was on hehe) and that's just because i can always find a way to enjoy it even if i'm dirt broke because it's just a fun game to play :)

giphy.gif

legit alright 

Possible it seems.

Seems i made about the same number, also legit...well except for 2 mil once gifted by a script kid and afterwards removed by rockstar because i requested it to be....so yea...there is that.

He earned it without mods or dupes,  legit means no cheating which means:

No

heist repeat glitch

Kuruma glitch

No cheating in solo session

etc.

200-275 million can be Legit but anything higher would've mean non legit methods was used.  

• KWF1981 likes this

TheFroggmann
  • TheFroggmann

Mystaspot's best customer.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm going to say yes. Unless Shark Cards double or triple in value, they're a rip off. GTA O has good money making mechanics. You just need to know where to invest and how to finish jobs economically. You also have to figure out that freeroam war is a complete waste of resources. 

Yes, I have bought shark cards in the past. Back then I didn't have friends in the game and only made money grinding missions and sold stolen cars. Now you have Biker businesses, crates, VIP/CEO work, and I/E. Sure they take investment but you really don't need that Nero. 

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

There is no objective answer to this question, because the answer will turn on: 1) how much free time do you have; 2) how much disposable income you have (this assumes a high demand to buy stuff).  Guy or gal with a lot of disposable income but little free time would probably favor SC.  Guy or gal with lots of time but little disposable income, "grinding."

And no OP, not asking about your real life income. 

• malcolm_tucker and JuniorChubb like this

ash-274
  • ash-274

Guru of the Gang Cars and Special items

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ash-274, 2 weeks ago.

Are you over 18? Decide how you spend your money. Don't let anyone tell you how to spend money.

Unless you're Johnny Depp

EDIT: Or MC Hammer

'''
  • '''

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ''', 2 weeks ago.

If you're not having fun. Don't do it.

Life's too short.

YOLO

Life is crazy long. If it really was too short we wouldn't waste it by posting futile comments on forums.

• gtafan26, Maibatsu545, malcolm_tucker and 2 others like this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Lord of Edges(i guess)

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 2 weeks ago

never bought a shark card, made over 400 legit millions, never once felt like a grind (well, once, did 15m in 2 days when 50% ceo sell bonus was on hehe) and that's just because i can always find a way to enjoy it even if i'm dirt broke because it's just a fun game to play :)

giphy.gif

legit alright 

Possible it seems.

Seems i made about the same number, also legit...well except for 2 mil once gifted by a script kid and afterwards removed by rockstar because i requested it to be....so yea...there is that.

He earned it without mods or dupes,  legit means no cheating which means:

No

heist repeat glitch

Kuruma glitch

No cheating in solo session

etc.

200-275 million can be Legit but anything higher would've mean non legit methods was used.  

I am myself proof that does not has to be the case at all it seems...not saying that most of that sh*t aint spend, but yea, it says 400 mil spend so there is that.

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by malcolm_tucker, 2 weeks ago.

Edit: posted earlier for some reason, full post below 

VulcanFanatic
  • VulcanFanatic

Long time GTA online player

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by VulcanFanatic, 2 weeks ago.

I've played with a lot of players on GTA since 2013. The only players that I've seen actually spend any kind of time grinding out missions or heists or CEO or biker business stuff with any kind of regularity are the 30 plus year old players that find the time between raising kids and working full-time jobs. They seem to find the time to make a lot of money on GTA, accumulate a lot of vehicles and properties and have everything they want without buying shark cards. On the other hand,a great deal of the players I know that are in their teens and 20's, most of whom do not have kids,no job and live with their parents, have nothing in the bank, very few cars and few properties. Even if they have a biker business, a car warehouse and CEO stuff, they seldom, if ever do anything with it because they say it's "boring". Yet, they are the first ones to complain that everything in a new update is too expensive, and they look for glitches to make money to pay for stuff. The word *lazy" comes to mind, but don't say it because they might get offended.
  • gtafan26, Sagrawa, scaldy78 and 6 others like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Life's too short.

YOLO

Life is crazy long. If it really was too short we wouldn't waste it by posting futile comments on forums.

Got to do something during commercial breaks and while on the crapper.
  • gtafan26 and KWF1981 like this

Family First
  • Family First

Driver

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 2 weeks ago

Life's too short.

YOLO

Yeah your life might actually be too short. Go visit a doctor cause it looks like you're spending way too much time on the crapper.

• gtafan26 likes this

Jammsbro
  • Jammsbro

Pogo 4 life

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 2 weeks ago

I f*cking hate grinding worse than anything. Especially MC and CEO stuff. It's the same five things over and over. We've all done them a thousand times by now.

At least with contact missions there is some variety and you can have fun actually playing rather than rockstars new style of play, which in volved driving long distances fifty times a session.

If they brought in new missions every month I would still be playing.
  • Xiled likes this

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I f*cking hate grinding worse than anything. Especially MC and CEO stuff. It's the same five things over and over. We've all done them a thousand times by now.

At least with contact missions there is some variety and you can have fun actually playing rather than rockstars new style of play, which in volved driving long distances fifty times a session.

If they brought in new missions every month I would still be playing.

New missions every month. You serious bro?

ash-274
  • ash-274

Guru of the Gang Cars and Special items

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I've played with a lot of players on GTA since 2013. The only players that I've seen actually spend any kind of time grinding out missions or heists or CEO or biker business stuff with any kind of regularity are the 30 plus year old players that find the time between raising kids and working full-time jobs. They seem to find the time to make a lot of money on GTA, accumulate a lot of vehicles and properties and have everything they want without buying shark cards. On the other hand,a great deal of the players I know that are in their teens and 20's, most of whom do not have kids,no job and live with their parents, have nothing in the bank, very few cars and few properties. Even if they have a biker business, a car warehouse and CEO stuff, they seldom, if ever do anything with it because they say it's "boring". Yet, they are the first ones to complain that everything in a new update is too expensive, and they look for glitches to make money to pay for stuff. The word *lazy" comes to mind, but don't say it because they might get offended.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Sure, this does NOT describe everyone in both of those age groups... but yeah., I've observed similar "consistencies"

Also, the missions/jobs can be the same, but this game still lets you do (some) things in different ways.  Ever done Trash Talk with a Rhino?  Tried Coveted with the Musket or attack the location from the sea?

• gtafan26 likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Life's too short.

YOLO

Yeah your life might actually be too short. Go visit a doctor cause it looks like you're spending way too much time on the crapper.

Are you the kid who keeps peeking in my window?
  • KWF1981 likes this

TheFroggmann
  • TheFroggmann

Mystaspot's best customer.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by TheFroggmann, 2 weeks ago.

Also, the missions/jobs can be the same, but this game still lets you do (some) things in different ways.  Ever done Trash Talk with a Rhino?  

Yep, it's fun. Especially if you take out the trucks without firing a single round (use the barrel of the gun to flip them and pin them upside down.) Then take down the boss by whacking him with the turret: 

657cl69.gif

Another fun one is to take out Lost in "Lost RIP" using nothing but a flare gun. 

Spoiler

• gtafan26, Sagrawa, ash-274 and 5 others like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

negan is awsome.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

i have been playing this game since day 1 and havent bought one shark card and i dont plan on it. i grind a lot and it can be fun. especially when you play with friends. but it can get repetitive. spending real life money to buy fake digital thinks is dumb in my opinion. now that is my opinion. if you want to spend your hard earned money on digital stuff thats your right. and i can understand why some people do it too. because they want to own all the cool new stuff. and i know not everyone can play gta online and do the same repititve missions all the time. for me grinding is worth it because all the things i have in game are things i earned from the hard work and fun i had getting the money. i dont have everything nor do i want everything. when the new update comes out i buy a new car or two customize them and buy any new weapons. and i also go to the clothes shop and buy some new clothes. at the end of the day i am happy. it makes me appreciate this stuff even more.

• KWF1981 and GTAUrbanCamping like this

malcolm_tucker
  • malcolm_tucker

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by malcolm_tucker, 2 weeks ago.

Some interesting points being made but a lot of people are confused

• I'm not asking for advice on how I should play the game
  • I should clarify when I say grinding I mean playing a mode/style you don't enjoy as much or you wouldn't be doing if not for the $/RP, I kinda derailed the thread a little by not being clearer with that. And of course your playstyle and idea of fun is a huge factor
  • I think it's interesting that a lot people (including myself) have tended to have an opinion that grinding a game for an hour is better than working for an hour and getting double the $ reward, regardless of whether the shark card prices are a rip off or not. I wasn't trying to start a debate about shark card value for money, I agree with everyone that the prices are a joke
  • It's true you don't get RP with shark cards but the RP:$ ratio is skewed way in favour of RP these days, forcing a lot of players at some point or another to decide whether do something less fun to grind $ or go without their desired item for longer, which is also less fun. Hardly anyone needs RP anywhere near as much as they need money in order to play GTA the way they want to
Spoiler

Yes you can ask, the answer is I never said I wanted everything in the game, $20-25mil would cover anything I'd ever possibly want or care about. Can I ask what sort of circle jerk I'm involved in and why have I got an ego? Of course I wouldn't be playing the game if I didn't like it, you've made a lot of presumptions about my 'mindset' based on something I said that you didn't agree with and I don't get it

Spoiler

Spoiler

I agree with everything you guys are saying, I think I've given the wrong impression about my play habits, how much sh*t I want, when I want it and how much I enjoy playing the game. I've played 7 days in total, I'm at level 119 and have just recently got everything I think I 'need' to play the game (race cars, ceo, bikers etc) so now all that's left are things I want just to look at the pixels. I bought about $6mil through shark cards.

Out of those 7 days I'd say at most 40 hours were spent grinding 2x$RP so it's not like I'm sat around sulking and having a bad time, I don't regret the time and money put in and I love the game. Playing the game how I wanted to rather than doing that bit of 2x grinding would mean I'd be about 60 hours away from where I am now and I think it was well worth doing it to save that amount of time, and I don't think that's impatient in hindsight. The point is, and the point of the thread was those numbers create a funny situation; 40 hours grinding would've earned me say 8-10mil, for someone who didn't care about RP to unlock race car parts they could've bought that GTA$ with an 8 hour shift at work if they're on UK minimum wage, and that creates a conflict in a lot of people's opinions (including myself) about shark cards and grinding in general.

• KWF1981 likes this

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

neither is really worth it, just glitch.

• idonknowhow likes this

Liquid Snake 245
  • Liquid Snake 245

The man with the same codename as you

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Just play the game as normal, whether it be heists, missions, random freeroam events, whatever.  Only spend what you have to when you have to and you'll have more money than you know what to with in no time. I've never purchased a Shark Card.  Don't let GTA Youtubers influence you either.

VulcanFanatic
  • VulcanFanatic

Long time GTA online player

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by VulcanFanatic, 2 weeks ago.

I know that GTA is just a game,but like any hobby,you may invest a lot of time in it because you enjoy it.i spend as much time as I can on the game, grinding out CEO, biker business stuff, missions and lately, biker contract missions. This past weekend I made around 4 million or so , mainly in biker contract missions, the weekend before that i made 6 million doing missions with 2x money and rp.i also grind during the week after work. I see a parallel between GTA and real life when it comes to success. Any real life businessman does not get rich , accumulate material possessions and money by doing nothing. It takes work, hard work and plenty of it to be successful. I say again, yes this is a game, but Rockstar has given us the ability to succeed in game the same way you can succeed in real life, go to work and work until you are successful.

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by CrysisAverted, 2 weeks ago.

Why would R* actively punish grinding since 2013 582228f674330f90f1c56f0500321c52.png

Spoiler
  • Mizz-Swagnificent, Maibatsu545, deadx23 and 1 other like this

Forza Harrd
  • Forza Harrd

Chef

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I buy shark cards, but a few conditions have to be met first. a.) They have to have a rebate or bonus attached. b.) They patched all the dupe glitches. c.) I'm way ahead of my bills irl and have disposable income to spend on a game. Instead of a new game I'll buy a Ruiner 2000.

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Oh crap, the podcast spawned a thread.  I think we could have talked about how people earn money a little more.  It was more of a grind vs shark card argument.  Imo, if you're making money while enjoying the game, keep grinding.  I personally would never get a job to fund an online currency.

• malcolm_tucker likes this

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

2x rp/cash for heists. Hit it up. Ive made alot today with only a few hours on heists. Few hrs on deathmatches turn up good money.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users