Quantcast

» «
Photo

What Is The Cause Of GTA IV's Poor Performance?

18 replies to this topic
The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

I've been curious as to what causes the extreme frame-rate drops in this poorly-optimized game, and I want to find out. This isn't a question of "why does my PC lag a lot while playing this game", it's a question of "which pieces of code are the cause of this poor performance". I wanted to put this in the general sub-forum for GTA IV, but since I encourage digging in the files and creating fixes, I decided to put it here. Does anyone here know about this stuff? I wish I could dig in myself, but I don't have a gaming PC as of now (I will get it eventually), and I'm somewhat of a n00b coder (as of now, I can do only relatively small changes). Once I get my gaming PC and I have bought the game, I will try to contribute as much as possible (by the way, I bought the game multiple times on different platforms, including PC, but I wasn't able to run it there, and my accounts have been deleted). Does anyone have anything to say?

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

Does anyone have anything to contribute to this? Does anyone even know which files are responsible for the optimization?

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

Anyone?

Jacobic_☢
  • Jacobic_☢

Still an Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Shadows....

(cant list more, its just because  :r*: optimized the game bad on the pc)

• Zeta87 likes this

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

Shadows....
(cant list more, its just because  :r*: optimized the game bad on the pc)

What about them? Too high-resolution? GTA V had excellent shadows (maybe even better shadows) than GTA IV but still is better optimized. There HAS to be something else going on to make this game run like a handicapped turtle, because graphics shouldn't be the case. Unfortunately, I can't find out myself until I get my gaming PC.

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:46 AM Edited by The Duke Of Nukes, 24 May 2017 - 04:47 AM.

Where can I find GTA IV's optimization code? The exe? Where? There must be a file that contains GTA IV's optimization code.

ikt
  • ikt

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:10 AM

I don't think you understand what reversing an executable is and modding GTA in general. Have you programmed before?

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

I don't think you understand what reversing an executable is and modding GTA in general. Have you programmed before?

Kind of. I've stated in my first post here that I am pretty n00bish in coding, but I had coded before, just extremely minor things (mostly insignificant bug fixes in GTA 3 like looking into the PS2 code from a disk I had laying around to add the petroleum pumps back, and some MUGEN). What I DO know is that reversing the executable is probably very hard, and it might render my save files unusable, since the change in the exe's code. I want to know where the optimization code for GTA IV resides, to know if it's even the most slightly fixable (I've seen tools that claim that they optimize GTA IV's code better, but I don't know if that's true since I'm unable to test it), and if there's any hope for fan-made optimization.

mrbison
  • mrbison

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:01 PM Edited by mrbison, 02 June 2017 - 08:05 PM.

try use this shaders 

shaders 1.0.7.0
shaders 1.0.8.0
visualSettings

Alihunter
  • Alihunter

Well, that's embrassing.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Have you tried commandline?
It fixed my gameplay pretty much when it was unmodded.

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:22 PM

I haven't received my PC yet, so I haven't played it there yet, and I can't try those things out yet, but I will eventually (I ordered it some time ago, and it is JUST being built, it's a BEAST). I'm not so sure it's the shaders that's causing the performance hits, since we have better looking and more intensive ones today, but there must be some other code that makes it run like syrup. Remember, this topic is about finding the source of the poor performance, not finding a work-around to the problem, I want to tackle it right in the source.

Alihunter
  • Alihunter

Well, that's embrassing.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:37 AM

"Source" of the poor performance?
It's been said like 1000times that its because the poor gta ivs porting to pc.

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

I meant the piece of code that causes the poor performance.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

There is no piece of code that causes poor performance, it's the code structure itself that is poor. The game was almost directly copied from the Xbox 360 build, and then adapted to PC, not much work went into it. That's why it runs poorly. It doesn't help that IV's original code is also very sloppy, because it also runs very badly on the consoles.

V fixed this, and V PC is fine because it wasn't a port from last gen, but a separate development along with next-gen.

Alihunter
  • Alihunter

Well, that's embrassing.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

I meant the piece of code that causes the poor performance.
In fact, even if it's a piece of code, can you fix it?
Honestly bro, the game is poorly ported as ive heard.
No way to fix it, however, R* made some patches for fixing.
They works.

LaBombaRomba
  • LaBombaRomba

Straya. "Fear denies faith", ⌐■_■

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:40 PM Edited by LaBombaRomba, 17 June 2017 - 10:48 PM.

It's important to know that it also runs like garbage on consoles (fps usually in the mid 20s), even less playable than the pc imo. I don't think the game always runs bad on pc, some places you'll get 60 fps, but in most you'll get 30-50, and this is pretty much unavoidable no matter your specs in my experience with:
-2 hd 5850s in crossfire (1.0.4.0)
-gtx 970 (this really showed off what I was saying, much more so than the other cards, and was on 1.0.4.0)
-he 7750 (1.0.7.0, downgrading on second installation, haven't run it yet though)
Despite all that, I don't see why some people consider it unplayable.

Oh and one more thing, 1.0.4.0 imo tends to stutter more despite having better fps generally. 1.0.7.0 also looks a heck of a lot better with the shadows but in my experience the mouse also 'feels' worse, slightly more rough/laggy feeling I guess.

Wakka387
  • Wakka387

Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think it was also the lack of LOD2 & LOD3 models

HigorSm
  • HigorSm

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think it was also the lack of LOD2 & LOD3 models

GTA IV has LOD 2/3 models for almost everything in the game, i don't think this is the cause of the bad performance in the game.

Necroheadbanger
  • Necroheadbanger

Cabbage

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 2 days ago

Well, I'm late to this, but something that kills the frames (at least my frames) is the map. Liberty City is very detailed, the buildings and textures are detailed, and there are a lot of stuff everywhere (debris, fences, boxes, thrash cans, trees, poles, ect) and pickups that glow, and also take in mind all the shadows that all that stuff produces. When a part of the map doesn't loads my frames become pretty decent, but once it loads I get back to the 15 FPS.

I once installed a mod that removed all additional stuff (boxes, debris, even doors), and I had some really great frames, but I had to uninstall it as I couldn't play minigames or buy clothes, rendering some missions (like First Date) impossible to complete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users