Quantcast

» «
Photo

What Is The Cause Of GTA IV's Poor Performance?

7 replies to this topic
The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I've been curious as to what causes the extreme frame-rate drops in this poorly-optimized game, and I want to find out. This isn't a question of "why does my PC lag a lot while playing this game", it's a question of "which pieces of code are the cause of this poor performance". I wanted to put this in the general sub-forum for GTA IV, but since I encourage digging in the files and creating fixes, I decided to put it here. Does anyone here know about this stuff? I wish I could dig in myself, but I don't have a gaming PC as of now (I will get it eventually), and I'm somewhat of a n00b coder (as of now, I can do only relatively small changes). Once I get my gaming PC and I have bought the game, I will try to contribute as much as possible (by the way, I bought the game multiple times on different platforms, including PC, but I wasn't able to run it there, and my accounts have been deleted). Does anyone have anything to say?

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Does anyone have anything to contribute to this? Does anyone even know which files are responsible for the optimization?

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Anyone?

Jacobic_☢
  • Jacobic_☢

Still an Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

Shadows....

(cant list more, its just because  :r*: optimized the game bad on the pc)

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Shadows....
(cant list more, its just because  :r*: optimized the game bad on the pc)

What about them? Too high-resolution? GTA V had excellent shadows (maybe even better shadows) than GTA IV but still is better optimized. There HAS to be something else going on to make this game run like a handicapped turtle, because graphics shouldn't be the case. Unfortunately, I can't find out myself until I get my gaming PC.

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago Edited by The Duke Of Nukes, 2 days ago.

Where can I find GTA IV's optimization code? The exe? Where? There must be a file that contains GTA IV's optimization code.

ikt
  • ikt

HAAAAAAAAANDS

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

I don't think you understand what reversing an executable is and modding GTA in general. Have you programmed before?

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

I don't think you understand what reversing an executable is and modding GTA in general. Have you programmed before?

Kind of. I've stated in my first post here that I am pretty n00bish in coding, but I had coded before, just extremely minor things (mostly insignificant bug fixes in GTA 3 like looking into the PS2 code from a disk I had laying around to add the petroleum pumps back, and some MUGEN). What I DO know is that reversing the executable is probably very hard, and it might render my save files unusable, since the change in the exe's code. I want to know where the optimization code for GTA IV resides, to know if it's even the most slightly fixable (I've seen tools that claim that they optimize GTA IV's code better, but I don't know if that's true since I'm unable to test it), and if there's any hope for fan-made optimization.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users