Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:43 PM Edited by Android, 07 December 2015 - 02:45 AM.

PS4_logo.png

Looking to spice up your PlayStation 4 console & controller? Check out Flaming Toast and Slick Wraps.

----------

Released November 2013 in North America, Europe, and Australia. Released February 2014 in Japan

Base Price - $399/€399.99/£349.99

500 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM), 8-Core AMD x86-64 Jaguar CPU, 8GB GDDR5 memory (256 MB DDR3 for background tasks)

AMD GCN Radeon Graphics

• Pavle and Queen like this

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

As long as it doesn't release with a price tag comparable to a third world country's annual GDP, I think it might just stand a chance. Sony is going to have to pull out all the stops if they want to claw back some of the ground they lost this gen.

I have to admit that I don't really pay much attention to new consoles at the start. They cost a fortune, I don't know enough about the specs to get an idea of what it could be capable of & the first lot of games aren't usually that special. Hell, I only bought a PS3 about 6 months ago.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:18 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 10 June 2013 - 08:34 PM.

Though we've actually got no confirmed data saying that the PlayStation 4 will be announced this Wednesday I suppose we might as well have a bit of a chat about what we've supposedly seen thus far from Sony's supposed leaks.

First there's the new controller, now don't get my wrong it looks okay, but it's not up to the usual standard I expect from Sony. I prefer the PlayStation 3's controller over that of the Xbox 360's, why ? Because it's lighter, more portable and in my opinion better designed for the human hand. So I'm not too thrilled at the fact that Sony's prototype looks more bulkier each time I see it, when I play a video game I don't want my hands to get tired of holding the controller before I get tired of playing the game. This happened too often with the Xbox 360 and its' predecessor the original Xbox. There can be no doubt in my mind that the controller of the PlayStation 4 should remain a Dualshock controller and not some sort of Xbox 360/Dualshock hybrid.

Not only does the Dualshock look nicer, sleeker and thinner than the the Xbox 360's controller but it also doesn't have one of my hands in a disproportionate pose to the other, I just can't do the same stuff on the Xbox 360 that I can on any of the PlayStations and that's probably down to the fact that I don't have that weird disproportional thumbstick taunting me when I play. Not to say that the Xbox 360 pad wasn't a good controller it just wasn't my preferred controller of choice and if we didn't have choices and opinions then the whole world would be so very, very boring. I'm saying this just in case anyone take what I've said above as some sort of Sony fan boy anger and it's not, it's just the fact that over the years I've become accustomed to the PlayStation's unique and consistent design and I'd prefer if it stayed that way.

Let's not go down the banana route again Sony, please ?!?!.

Now let's talk about the rumours regarding the fact the Sony's new machine will be able to stream PlayStation 3 games live. Now, I don't see this as too much of an issue though I can see how some might perceive it as Sony's way to quash the second hand games market without being roadblocked by not having their machine be backwards compatible (which is one of the area's that the Xbox 360 bested the PlayStation 3). I can't honestly see what Sony have against the second hand games market (I'm going to guess that it's something along the lines of what ever issue Capcom's currently having with it) but when I was at school one of the biggest reasons me and all of the other children owned PlayStation 2's instead of an Xbox was down to the fact that it was not only cheaper but also because we could exchange games with one another.

This is perhaps Sony's biggest flaw, if they go all out crazy on second hand games then there's no doubt in my mind that their console will suffer sales-wise because of it. They should realise that whole companies (primarily companies that invest a lot in card games like the Japanese media) thrive off of second hand sales as they make more money from it in the long run. It's true because I remember that back in primary school I'd literally save all of the pocket money that I got from doing chores and helping around the neighbourhood to buy new cards so that I could build better decks (I was really rather terribly addicted to both Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh at this point in my life) and trade off my newly bought cards for cards of equal value from other kids, thus creating an never ending profit cycle for the card companies.

Finally the pricing needs to be talked about as it's by far one of the most important things when releasing a new console. Hopefully we don't get a flashback to Sony's PlayStation 3 2007 release in which you had to be one of either, a Sultan of Arabia, Oprah or the Royal Family to actually purchase one of the stupid things. I suppose I was lucky since I saved cash from the moment it was announced to its release and that's most likely the only reason why I had a PlayStation as early as I did, and it wasn't to due with any parental involvement which something that Sony definitely doesn't want to happen if it intends to not have to wait another six years to surpass the XBOX 720 (or whatever they're going to call it) in sales.

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I won't be able to get it for a loooong time. sad.gif

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 20:18)
Let's not go down the banana route again Sony, please ?!?!.

Yeah that boomerang controller really came back to bite them in the arse. Sorry, couldn't resist. tounge2.gif

It will be interesting to see if Blu-Ray is the preferred method of media for the PS4. I would've thought memory cards would be a more future proof solution.

Potato Boggle
  • Potato Boggle

Formerly ozzman1

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Rumor has it that the PS4 will be priced at $460/€350

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (ozzman1 @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 20:29)
Rumor has it that the PS4 will be priced at $460/€350

I guess that works out to about £460 here in the UK. Rip off Britain.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'm not a fan of Sony, but I'd like to see what they have in store for us. Plus, it's the first time we get to see the next generation.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=536391

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

It's not the first time we get to see next generation. I remember seeing one around 2000 and around 2005.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've got mixed feelings...

Part of me says this will be great, but I'm not convinced. I think this has less to do with the next-gen of gaming for SONY and more to do with fixing piracy and those no good modders. I think it will be a SecureStation 4 rather than a PlayStation 4.

Some of the early reports said that SONY favored doing away with the disk drive. It may remain, but it was telling how far SONY was willing to go to curb any perceived theft. Even used games look like their in the crosshairs. Look how much bank SONY made by reselling San Andreas all over again via the PS Store. I doubt backwards compatibility for this exact reason.

Otherwise, bring on the next next-gen!

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I will definitely be buying the console. However, if the launch games are sh*tty and uninteresting, I will take my time and not rush to but one. My 80 gig PS3 has been serving me very well every since I bought it in 2007 and I have no problem enjoying the array of games that I have for it. Same with the Xbox 720. I will buy it a few days after its release if the launch titles are good.

The sh*t think about the PS4 so far is how Sony are supposedly ditching the awesome DualShock. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also heard that these consoles will not have backwards compatibility, which is also stupid.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Hungary

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

It's going to be a year or two before they start releasing games for next gen that will warrant buying a next gen console anyway. I'd also be surprised if their systems didn't have problems at first. Not spending that amount of money on that sh*t.

But i am looking forward to the reveal. Hell i might even change my mind later. Definitely not buying it close to release though.

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'll buy a PS4 a couple of months after launch because 1) I'll Still be Busy with GTA V and 2) to build up on money for a PS4

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 16:06)
It's not the first time we get to see next generation. I remember seeing one around 2000 and around 2005.

I meant to say "of the next generation"

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Why can't you use the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 thread, we don't need two threads, it's annoying!!!

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Radoonhagaydoon @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 18:59)
Why can't you use the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 thread, we don't need two threads, it's annoying!!!

That's too bad, I received permission from Seddo.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Radoonhagaydoon @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 23:59)

You're a moderator, so stop complaining and just lock the thread. sarcasm.gif

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (Capricornus @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 14:53)

No he isn't

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

It was a sarcastic joke.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 03:54)
QUOTE (Capricornus @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 14:53)

No he isn't

Looks like your sarcasm detector is horrible. Notice the smiley. dozingoff.gif

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (TheTechGame)
On February 20 at 6pm Eastern Time (11pm UK) we will stream live video of the PlayStation Meeting in New York right here.

Not sure if I should link the site or not...

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I am so exited about this. Although I have no plans on buying a ps4 until I'm well and truly done with Grand Theft Auto FIVE. By then the price would have dropped quite considerably...and hopefully a few worth while next gen games have been released as well.

Do you guys think that the difference between the ps3 and ps4 graphics would be very noticeable? I'm really not expecting it to be a huge leap forward like going from the ps2 to the ps3, or should I be?

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm hoping launch games will be optimised and use the full resources of the system. Most 2005/2006 era Xbox games looked horrible.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 09:44)
QUOTE (TheTechGame)
On February 20 at 6pm Eastern Time (11pm UK) we will stream live video of the PlayStation Meeting in New York right here.

Foley, I wouldn't link it, but give the link to people through PM's if they ask for it.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 08:56)
QUOTE (TheTechGame)

Foley, I wouldn't link it, but give the link to people through PM's if they ask for it.

Ok, ,well if anyone wants it PM me and I will give it.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Wednesday, Feb 20 2013, 06:56)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 08:56)
QUOTE (TheTechGame)

Ok, ,well if anyone wants it PM me and I will give it.

Why can't you post the link here? Sony have given permission for sites to stream the event.

They're about 19 hours from announcement... right?

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Roughly around 17-18. I'll post the link.. I didn't wanna post it here because one of the mods might of pulled it.

http://www.gamespot....cement-6403818/

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

I'll be watching the reveal on IGN, the stream in Australia starts at 9:00 and and the press conference starts at 10:00

You can find out more at this http://au.ign.com/ar...al-event-on-ign

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Feb 20 2013, 14:38)
I'll be watching the reveal on IGN, the stream in Australia starts at 9:00 and and the press conference starts at 10:00

You can find out more at this http://au.ign.com/ar...al-event-on-ign

Cheers mate. I've set an alarm so I'll be up at 8:30 to watch it live!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users