Underwater exploration was pointless/time waste

58 replies to this topic
Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

I did the submarine mission for the first time under the cover of darkness, it f*cking sucked. Crashed the damn sub into everything just getting out of the harbor.

• anthony and Yinepi like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

A long time ago I never knew myself.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

I actually liked it, it's a nice change of pace from the bland Los Santos and empty desert, I spent hours swimming around in scuba gear just looking for random stuff.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, Mr_Rager and MuralDeciphered like this

CaptainMental
  • CaptainMental

Criminal Mastermind

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

The problem is it just isn't very interesting. Maybe if they included a sunken pirate ship or underwater caves then yeah.

Then a giant sea monster comes out of the cave, and all you have is a knife to kill it with. If you do manage to kill it you unlock a clue to where the jetpack is located.
That sounds more fun than finding 30 waste barrels or submarine pieces for some old lady and not get rewarded significantly. :p
Uhm, the real reward is that you get a unique vehicle, the Asea. If you
steal it from her when the cutscene for collecting all pieces ends.

Wiseguy94
  • Wiseguy94

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

I don't get the point of all the weapon pickups since you don't lose your guns if you get killed or busted this time around. Maybe one or two of each kind of gun but not all over the place especially when you can find them above ground shark-free. Now if they had put the advanced rifle somewhere or another very rare/endgame weapon then it might be worth the hunt. 

• Payne Killer and Pink Pineapple like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:22 PM Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 22 May 2017 - 06:23 PM.

The screens they showed before the release had people going scuba diving. I think if they added some underwater combat and crime based activities then people would like it more. Picture driving a boat through the ocean playing a side mission with drug trafficing then breaking the boats carrying the drugs and diving to get them or even try to steal the boats without destroying them to make it more dynamic. They could also add some more unique weapons that are only found underwater, finding antique pistol which belonged to some pirates or maybe some swords. And with what I said before about the underwater combat, an underwater rifle and a spear would also open up more possibilities which would be very unique to underwater like firefights and hunting. They could have also made some easter eggs like a huge kraken or a megaloden shark (could also be a part of a drug trip based stranger and freaks missions based on myths to make keep the player from losing immersion).

• gunziness, Official General, Maibatsu545 and 4 others like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

The problem is it just isn't very interesting. Maybe if they included a sunken pirate ship or underwater caves then yeah.

Then a giant sea monster comes out of the cave, and all you have is a knife to kill it with. If you do manage to kill it you unlock a clue to where the jetpack is located.
That sounds more fun than finding 30 waste barrels or submarine pieces for some old lady and not get rewarded significantly. :p

How is that a reward when the Asea spawns in traffic? Well, it does on PC. Not sure about consoles.

CaptainMental
  • CaptainMental

Criminal Mastermind

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:47 AM Edited by CaptainMental, 23 May 2017 - 10:48 AM.

How is that a reward when the Asea spawns in traffic? Well, it does on PC. Not sure about consoles.
I only did that side quest on PS3 and there it doesnt spawn in traffic at all. Only way to get it in story mode legit is to collect all pieces. I know it is purchaseable in GTAO though.

Anyways, the original idea was that the Asea was the reward, hence also the very unique and cool mods
for it. Maybe Rockstar changed that in updates.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:10 PM Edited by ACM-Jan, 23 May 2017 - 01:12 PM.

yep, asea can be very cool reward for finding all submarine parts!

took this awesome selfie in last gen (i knew about passing vehicles to another protagonists long ago): 

3opwSNS.jpg

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

It isn't unique now it spawns in traffic on the PS4 and XB1 versions. Besides being rare the car itself isn't anything special and isn't worth the time to collect the pieces to get it.

When I done this I thought we'd be given....wait for it.... an actual submarine.

But the game was like "Haha here's $10 for your effort and a unique grocery getter :lol: ".
  • anthony, ClaudeSpeed1911, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

CaptainMental
  • CaptainMental

Criminal Mastermind

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

It isn't unique now it spawns in traffic on the PS4 and XB1 versions. Besides being rare the car itself isn't anything special and isn't worth the time to collect the pieces to get it.

When I done this I thought we'd be given....wait for it.... an actual submarine.

But the game was like "Haha here's $10 for your effort and a unique grocery getter :lol: ".
Well, you have the option to buy the dive shop and a submarine will always spawn there.

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

I agree 100% OP, and I said as much when R* went on and on about how amazing their underwater world was, and the fan-addicts attacked me for it. Yes, so glad they spent so much time modeling kelp instead of giving us a drug dealing system.
  • anthony, ClaudeSpeed1911 and Yinepi like this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:05 PM Edited by Raj Brunner, 24 May 2017 - 10:06 PM.

Lmao

In most games, it's

What games ?

Far cry 3-4
Skyrim
Just Cause 2-3
San Andreas
Battlefield

Going to be pretty empty

Where is that come fro..m.. ?

It's the ocean

Personnaly I don't care if the ocean is empty or whatever IRL because it's a game and I want to have things to do so whatever if it's the ocean.

Who cares about it? It's the Ocean. I bet in most OWG you most likely spend 95% of your time on land. Besides you're acting as if it's totally empty and undetailed.
What were you expecting? A secret underwater base?

Divers, unique items, mysterious plane, boat wreck which can maybe trigger quests or whatever, I was execpting much more. A (secret) underwater base sounds good.

OK, agree with the divers and the quest but the plane and ship wreaks do have a few things that has easter eggs thing that has to do with strangers and freaks.
I swear, people are always finding something small to whine about...

Something small ? The huge empty thing all around the map ? Take off the magic fanboy powder of your eyes because this is definitely not something small. I am not whining, we just stated obvious facts and also some ideas to improve the underwater gameplay by the way.
It is small, because it's the ocean. You have games out there that have rivers lakes and oceans that are bland as tofu but you don't see their fanbase bitching about it. Not fanboying, just pointing out that this is another asinine thing to complain about.

Sorry for grammar errors. Sent with an LG-K7.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

I would have liked to see Claude, Tommy, and CJ as dead bodies floating underwater

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

It is small, because it's the ocean. You have games out there that have rivers lakes and oceans that are bland as tofu but you don't see their fanbase bitching about it. Not fanboying, just pointing out that this is another asinine thing to complain about.

Sorry for grammar errors. Sent with an LG-K7.

This particular aspect was well criticized before the game was even released. They said it would be boring. They said there would probably be nothing much to do down there. They said it would take up development time and resources that could have been better utilized elsewhere. Lo and behold, all of these criticisms seem like they were valid. Calling them asinine and referring to it as "complaining" isn't really contributing to this discussion.

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

It is small, because it's the ocean. You have games out there that have rivers lakes and oceans that are bland as tofu but you don't see their fanbase bitching about it. Not fanboying, just pointing out that this is another asinine thing to complain about.Sorry for grammar errors. Sent with an LG-K7.

Calling them asinine and referring to it as "complaining" isn't really contributing to this discussion.
Well since I disagreed with the thread and supported my argument on why I feel this thread is pointless and stupid (Not to mention I didn't break any rules). I think I did contribute to this discussion.

anthony
  • anthony

Nobody cares, nobody f*cking cares.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

It is small, because it's the ocean.

What ?

You have games out there that have rivers lakes and oceans that are bland as tofu but you don't see their fanbase bitching about it. 

What games ? and what do you know about their fanbase, did you even browse these (games) forums ?

supported my argument on why I feel this thread is pointless and stupid

Your arguments are "it's the ocean so wtf did you expect" "but but there are games out there with empty ocean and nobody complaining so shut up guys"

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

and supported my argument on why I feel this thread is pointless and stupid (Not to mention I didn't break any rules).

The thread isn't about why you think it's stupid, it's about underwater exploration.
  • Official General likes this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

What ?

You have games out there that have rivers lakes and oceans that are bland as tofu but you don't see their fanbase bitching about it. 

What games ? and what do you know about their fanbase, did you even browse these (games) forums ?

Your arguments are "it's the ocean so wtf did you expect" "but but there are games out there with empty ocean and nobody complaining so shut up guys"
I already explained most of this trash to you and I'm not going to start going around in circles, because it never gets any where.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:32 AM Edited by Son of Zeus, 29 May 2017 - 10:34 AM.

What ?

I already explained most of this trash to you and I'm not going to start going around in circles, because it never gets any where.
Calm down. You love the ocean, that's fine. But stop attacking people over their opinions.

It didn't add much to the game, just like the pointless mountains. People spend more time on land. They should've made a small town instead or added some interesting stuff in the countryside.

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:44 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 29 May 2017 - 10:46 AM.

i wish they put more time into the land and made the ocean a big empty blob with nothing to do in it. i hate having more things to and detail at every turn, i wish they just copy/pasted an entire new city and countryside into the game that would also have to stretch out the story to suffice. that would've ruled

it's not like the ocean is a beautiful, unsettling and frankly awesome (not in the epic xD meme way) location anything, it's not like exploration is cool or anything. i like familiarity

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

I wish people would stop being such try hards at sarcasm and actually just post their opinions without being spammy cliche ridden smart asses hypocritically mocking the views of others. Yeah, that would be great.

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:23 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 29 May 2017 - 03:30 PM.

I wish people would stop being such try hards at sarcasm and actually just post their opinions without being spammy cliche ridden smart asses hypocritically mocking the views of others. Yeah, that would be great.

scag, old buddy, if youre gonna call me out, actually quote me or bring me up by name instead of pretending you're talking about a lot of different people. grow some cajones, you are quite obviously talking about me specifically here, unless there are a bunch of spooky ghosts in this thread telling you the same thing i am

please, try and debunk my argument here. i get that you might not understand what im saying, but if its a little too complex i can always pm you what it means in very specific detail. im sure you can infer my position, though, its not rocket science, even if im being a bit of a smart ass. meanwhile, since youre acting like this is such a horrific and prevalent issue in the community, please:

A. tell me how exactly im being a hypocrite
B. tell me how the post is cliched and spammy so i can refrain and perhaps improve on my disgusting behaviour
C. tell me how im tryharding a post i made in like three minutes

D. tell me why you tried to frame your post like this is such a huge problem you have with a group of unnamed individuals

also this

CjIxEHp.png

wasn't necessary, but i appreciate you notifying me of your reply. ill repeat myself if you havent read the post, but please pm me for further details pal, either if you dont want to read three paragraphs of text or if you dont want to disrupt this totally fab thread

• Scaglietti and ChickenAndBeer like this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:39 PM Edited by Raj Brunner, 29 May 2017 - 03:58 PM.

What ?

Calm down. You love the ocean, that's fine. But stop attacking people over their opinions.

Attacking people's opinions? How? By replying to the people who are commenting on my comment? I wouldn't call that "Attacking people over their opinions." I don't even care about the Ocean. Like I said, I just find this thread pointless and gives people here another mindless reason to the game . Read all quotes and comments before confronting someone.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Spoiler

...I'm gonna be on topic now and say that I agree with the OP. The map of V could've been many things especially if all of the space used to the create the mundane ocean went towards more square miles add to the actual map as well as better detail and more diversity. I'm a detail guy. So at least from my point of view it's saying something if I find the ocean to be a big waste of space. I actually love the ocean but the way they implemented it into V makes me forget that you can even go underwater. It's that boring to me. Maybe had they made it more interesting and engaging I'd be saying otherwise. But for now my opinion is all of that time and effort and space could've went towards a better map.
  • anthony likes this

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:05 PM Edited by unbid, 29 May 2017 - 04:05 PM.

Back when IV was out:

"WAAAAAA... THERE'S NO COUNTRYSIDE, TOO MANY BUILDINGS AND CONCRETE, THE OCEAN IS A USELESS WASTE OF SPACE, YADA YADA YADA..."

When V came out:

"WAAAAAA... THERE'S TOO MANY COUNTRYSIDE, THE DESERT IS A BARREN WASTELAND, THE OCEAN IS TOO BIG AND COMPLICATED, YADA YADA YADA..."

smh people.
  • Mastah, Scaglietti, Pastry and 1 other like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:23 PM Edited by Piggsy pls, 29 May 2017 - 04:26 PM.

This coming from the forum drama queen. :p

Actually, I agree there could've been more exciting things done with the ocean, there's not much reason to go down there other than to escape from the cops and collect more boring collectables. But people have this idea that the ocean took away from areas they could've developed on land, and I'm not sure this is true.

We know you were originally meant to be able to use guns underwater (logic be damned), there's unused animations for it. This would've went a long way to making it more exciting. A speargun would've been awesome.
  • Scaglietti likes this

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Back when IV was out:

"WAAAAAA... THERE'S NO COUNTRYSIDE, TOO MANY BUILDINGS AND CONCRETE, THE OCEAN IS A USELESS WASTE OF SPACE, YADA YADA YADA..."

When V came out:

"WAAAAAA... THERE'S TOO MANY COUNTRYSIDE, THE DESERT IS A BARREN WASTELAND, THE OCEAN IS TOO BIG AND COMPLICATED, YADA YADA YADA..."

smh people.

Did you consider the possibility of the complaints coming from two separate crowds?
  • Algonquin Assassin, Official General and anthony like this

Nixinator
  • Nixinator

SDMC

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:50 AM

Honestly here's all the reasons I can currently think of as too why most players don't explore the ocean:

There's no scuba gear in GTA Online (Yes, there's a rebreather, but those don't let you swim faster do they?) I looked it up, no one's made a tutorial, I figured someone would've found a glitch with the Dingy but noooo.

The lack of a light for searching underwater. When it's dark out, why can't we use our flashlight to look around?
The fact that we're defenseless in the ocean. Why can't we shoot back at those hydras and helicopters hovering above us after we were forced to bail off our boats? Or when we're capsized and the other player on the boat can auto-aim onto us while we can't do bugger all? The only defense we have is a melee for other water-born players. -_- It's never, EVER used in story mode for any purpose as far as I remember. It's useless. 

Exploring the ocean is too slow. That's right, you can get from one side of the map to the other via air in 5 minutes, but I reckon it'd take half an hour to do that on the fastest boat. Where's our James Bond underwater car? Or a underwater bus? Something that's faster than the submarines, seats more than one player and can potentially fight back against other players.

There's a UFO underwater right? I don't know, I've never been exploring, I've collected 60 pieces (30 on each gen) and I still think the oceans preeeety boring to explore, even tho that should've given you a tour of the place. I mean, my points are pretty clear, right?

• Official General likes this

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

GTA V was full of sh*tty gimmicks, this was one of them. The only part where underwater is actually used is with the nuclear waste which collecting was f*ckING BORING. Gimmick V still sucks.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Cutter De Blanc like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users