Underwater exploration was pointless/time waste

40 replies to this topic
NextGTA
  • NextGTA

Player Hater

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 2 weeks ago

what you can do underwater is extremely limited...

the amount of time/resources they wasted on making the underwater in GTA V, they could've made other cool towns or cities in GTA V.

I played the GTA V story line, and aside from the missions underwater, I did not dive/explore the ocean.

The GTA V map was big, but it was filled with nothing, outside of Los Santos. The forrest and natural landscapes were  dissapointing.

That small town up north on the map, what a useless idea. there was nothing fun to do there. instead they should've made two equally big cities. Lost Santos + another big city up north, and then forrests, mountains, deserts, jungles and oceans in between the two cities.

The GTA V map was dissapointing. Hoping GTA 6 has a better map including more than 1 big city, and plenty of detalied nature (forrests, jungles, plains, deserts, etc.)

• anthony, DeeAy, confederatestatesgta and 5 others like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

negan is awsome.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

i agree the underwater part of the map is useless for me. they should have just replaced the underwater portion with a bigger desert or countryside. and make more of the small towns.

• Maibatsu545 likes this

OmGitsaPotato
  • OmGitsaPotato

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by OmGitsaPotato, 2 weeks ago.

Personally, I think the best heist was up in Sandy Shores and the most fun thing to do is go into the ocean and go diving. Anyway, why would there be a jungle in California? There's already  desert, sea, mountains, and somewhat of a forest between Los Santos and Paleto. And to Confederate, I agree to an extent, but every GTA game has been an island, or else it would be like Battlefield where you can see stuff in the distance but it'll kill you after some time

Saganist
  • Saganist

The Cosmos Is Within Us

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree.

The ocean is cool overall especially in the more shallow area, but deep down is such a waste. Players spend 98% of their time on the surface anyway.

They should have used that ocean space to make another town, or make a huge forest. So much potential. They should have removed Mount Josiah and replace that with another town or desert space and make Fort Zancudo more distant from society instead of having a freaking road tunnel underneath it.

Also, most importantly, if they removed all that ocean space we'd have space for one more thing - interiors.

• Maibatsu545 and AzelfandQuilava like this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Trick

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

You forgot to mention collecting nuclear waste in the ocean... My god, what a borefest.
  • Maibatsu545, Payne Killer, DeeDogg_ and 2 others like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 2 weeks ago.

Agree with everything you said. I don't get it? I was excepting NPC diving, we can't use the full diving equipment wtf! in 10s you can use a trainer made by players btw, and select all that stuff! That would have been neat to encounter an crashed plane with cocaine inside, "you take or leave the stuff" (with impact in the futur) and also find some treasures; all that in random location every time you start the game, that would have been a challenge to find these, some kind of myth/legend.

• Saganist and Maibatsu545 like this

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Peon

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 2 weeks ago

It was nice in the mission but collecting the waste was annoying tbh.

• TheOriginalGunslinger likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

They should have had treasure maps in the game to give us a reason to explore. 

• Saganist, Maibatsu545, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

piko
  • piko

100% or nothing

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Especially useless after they removed the money-cases underwater because of 'easy money' exploits..

• Saganist, Maibatsu545 and Payne Killer like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

...there are LITERALLY tons of weapons and 15 briefcases full of large sums of cash hidden among the wreckage under water around the entire circumference of southern S.A.
  • CaptainMental and Jimmy's Dealer like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 2 weeks ago.

...there are LITERALLY tons of weapons and 15 briefcases full of large sums of cash hidden among the wreckage under water around the entire circumference of southern S.A.

Weapons: Ammunation

Money: Missions etc

"treasure maps"

• Payne Killer likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 2 weeks ago

You know, I was down there in the ocean yesterday, and it occurred to me that one of my biggest problems with being in the ocean is that you can't see a f*cking thing down there at night or if you go too deep. They spent all this time making a beautiful detailed ocean landscape that's completely obscured in darkness half of the time.

• Maibatsu545 likes this

quxxo
  • quxxo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by quxxo, 2 weeks ago.

It adds more depth to the game. It would be kind of weird for GTA V to have this open world with no barriers, but with underwater portion non existent. They just need to add more underwater activities for the next game. Maybe more easter eggs like underwater military facility? Or big sinked ship, but with some non flooded rooms? Add to that more weapons for underwater fights and you can have king of the hill multiplayer gamemode with underwater locations. That would be awesome.

• Cutter De Blanc, Meekail, Good Hombre and 1 other like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Yinepi, 2 weeks ago.

It adds more depth to the game. It would be kind of weird for GTA V to have this open world with no barriers, but with underwater portion non existent.

Not really. GTA4 had no sea floor, same for GTA VCS and they both had swimming mechanics.

They just need to add more underwater activities for the next game.

Or forget about underwater, realize that it's a waste of development resources, and focus of creating an interesting map with interesting activities above water where players tend to spend 99 percent of their time.

GTA does not need coral, and it does not yoga. It needs bigger deserts. Bigger forests. Bigger cities. More interiors. More ways for the player to interact with the game world, and ways for which the NPCs to react back. More hidden useful unique items that give reason to explore the map, and less redundant collectibles like flying rats. More silly fun items, and less serious boring stuff. Less focus on trying to "recapture" real locations, and more time creating unique locations. There is much GTA could learn from its "clones".

• anthony, Maibatsu545, A.O.D.88 and 1 other like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Wanna play with me on PS4? Add me: rph_brasil

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago Edited by Pedinhuh, A week ago.

I support the idea of them scratching underwater environment and exploration altogether so they can focus on mapping where it's really important, for the next game.

In fact, I wouldn't mind one bit if we went back to what we had in IV: basic controls that allowed us to swin around the surface of the water.

Even with all the things to pickup underwater, this still was a pointless addition that certainly took too much time, resources and money to make, because in the end, what we really want is to drive cars, fly helicopters and airplanes(though I prefer cars) and ride bikes around the vast open world, and boating/diving is just too tedious in comparison.
  • Yinepi likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 6 days ago

The problem is it just isn't very interesting. Maybe if they included a sunken pirate ship or underwater caves then yeah.
  • Payne Killer likes this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 6 days ago

The problem is it just isn't very interesting. Maybe if they included a sunken pirate ship or underwater caves then yeah.

Then a giant sea monster comes out of the cave, and all you have is a knife to kill it with. If you do manage to kill it you unlock a clue to where the jetpack is located.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 6 days ago

Then a giant sea monster comes out of the cave, and all you have is a knife to kill it with. If you do manage to kill it you unlock a clue to where the jetpack is located.
That sounds more fun than finding 30 waste barrels or submarine pieces for some old lady and not get rewarded significantly. :p
  • Maibatsu545 and Payne Killer like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

Eh... there's tanks, sunken freighters and cargo planes, a few bodies. Not looking for an argument, but i am more than satisfied with the underwater area. Actually i find it pretty impressive :/

That being said, i do agree that the time spent on that could have provided more land area. sh*t, they could have made an entire island north of Paleto with all the development time spent on the sea floor and props and weapons pick ups/barrels/aquatic life.
  • Cutter De Blanc, Good Hombre and HOONART like this

Robaldinio
  • Robaldinio

Stay DeClasse

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

The first time you explore the depths on the enhanced version you really do appreciate the superior detail compared to the original version, and it's super cool when you first discover new marine life--especially orcas and whales.

But I still agree that aside from a few interesting shipwrecks, plane wrecks and of course the UFO, there is precious little to be bothered with. The most frustrating thing for me is how any pickups you find are just not at all worth even exiting your mini-sub for. I find in general (both above and below sea-level) that you find health packs, and like handguns, in the most pointless of locations.

• Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Official General, 4 days ago.

Having an underwater section in V was fine, it added more depth and immersion with regards to map exploration, but.....the problem with it, was that there was not much interesting things to see or do down there. Yes, the marine wildlife was good, and the sea environment was nicely detailed under and over the water surface. Other than that, not much else. Had there been some kind of hunt for treasure or loot, looking bodies, or any other kind of activity/task to generate interest or excitement in being there, it would have been brilliant, but the lack of all of that did make it feel kinda pointless wasted. I aint gonna lie, I've hardly gone down underwater to explore outside of main missions, probably like 3 or 4 times, and I've been playing it since it first came out.

However, I'd still want it in the game.

Eh... there's tanks, sunken freighters and cargo planes, a few bodies. Not looking for an argument, but i am more than satisfied with the underwater area. Actually i find it pretty impressive :/

That being said, i do agree that the time spent on that could have provided more land area. sh*t, they could have made an entire island north of Paleto with all the development time spent on the sea floor and props and weapons pick ups/barrels/aquatic life.

EDIT : Bodies ? Who and where ? Did I miss something ??

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Payne Killer and Pink Pineapple like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

Infinite 8 mystery. It's in every version of the game if I'm not mistaken..
  • Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Infinite 8 mystery. It's in every version of the game if I'm not mistaken..

I'll look into it and try it out later. Currently playing through V again with mods, so will check it out. 

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

It's a bit tedious, but cool nonetheless!
  • Official General and HOONART like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 3 days ago

I remember pre-release they said you would see divers underwater looking for treasure, but I've never seen an NPC underwater.

• Maibatsu545 likes this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Raj Brunner, 2 days ago.

It's the ocean. In most games, it's going to be pretty empty. What were you expecting? A secret underwater base? I swear, people are always finding something small to whine about...

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago Edited by anthony, 2 days ago.

Lmao

In most games, it's

What games ?

Going to be pretty empty

Where is that come fro..m.. ?

It's the ocean

Personnaly I don't care if the ocean is empty or whatever IRL because it's a game and I want to have things to do so whatever if it's the ocean.

What were you expecting? A secret underwater base?

Divers, unique items, mysterious plane, boat wreck which can maybe trigger quests or whatever, I was execpting much more. A (secret) underwater base sounds good.

I swear, people are always finding something small to whine about...

Something small ? The huge empty thing all around the map ? Take off the magic fanboy powder of your eyes because this is definitely not something small. I am not whining, we just stated obvious facts and also some ideas to improve the underwater gameplay by the way.

Kajjy
  • Kajjy

You wanna do the dance, for old times sake?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

I think Rockstar were probably put into a weird position when it came to creating the under water areas. They wanted the player to have to freedom to go where ever they wanted, including underwater, and it would be kinda odd to have such a detailed surface world then have a barren underwater area or no ability to decsend past the surface of the water so they decided to go ahead and create that area. If I remember correctly they were pretty proud of the area, too, mentioning how detailed the underwater areas of the game were before release.

That being said, in my opinion they just need to find a middle ground with detail and things to do down there. With out the detail it would look bad, but there's just not much to do. By the time I had a submarine in V, I usually have no res need for the money or guns down there, and I don't really bother with the waste or sub parts finding missions. Maybe add something unique that can only be found/done at the bottom of the ocean because the cash and money can be easily acquired on the surface.
  • gunziness and Official General like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

Can't please everyone :/ Given the Southern Californian setting, i think it's fitting and allowed for at least two prominent story missions, more if you include story heist set ups. Having a vast, ominous deep sea to explore with a fair amount of aquatic life, wreckage, and mystery stuff (UFO/murder victims/Hatch) is better than not being able to swim underwater at all, even if it does still feel kind of empty.

I mean, i just can't imagine V not having the under water area it does. How boring would a SA based game be without deep sea? Think of it like FPS mode on CG: did V NEED a first person mode? Probably not. Is it done at R*'s usual high standard of quality? IMO, yes, both the deep sea, FPS mode, even the waste of space that is Mt. Chiliad provide unique dimensions and character that make V what it is. You know, jack of all trades/master of none... yada yada yada. Think back to your first playthrough of V, the first time you found a sub (before the tedious waste barrels lol), can you honestly tell me you don't remember being impressed??

Not trying to be a total fanboy here, just trying to give R* some credit where i feel it is due..

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 2 days ago

submarine was a miracle to me when i first got to know gta 5, in gta san andreas before that i constantly was dreaming of travelling underwater with vehicle which never got good solution (badly done sub mod for real vehicle and water remover for driving on sea floor)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users