• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

I know there's a video thread, etc. etc. but I'm thinking that this would actually invoke a proper conversation as opposed to just POSTING VIDEOS AND LEAVING THE THREAD TO EAT SOME OREOS. 

But anyway, who here remembers like way back in 2007 and 2008 when they used to make actual machinimas with GTA San Andreas and other things? I remember Peds was a pretty fancy one but I never liked it because you had to watch the first one to get the current one and it was a pain in the ass. Police in Gay Situations was also neat but it's a shame that nothing ever happened after the first episode, same as My Name is Tommy. Even though it was pretty much "My Name is Earl" with Vice City. There's also some lost ones too, such as a 30-minute movie that was pretty much My Super Sweet 16 but with CJ. I also remember there being one around 2005-2007 with like three Los Santos cops doing comedic things and apparently whoever made that one's channel got taken down or got rid of the videos. Pretty sad since those brought me a lot of joy ten years ago. But despite the ones I love, there's some I hate. I hated everything JakeCRD made for example. Maybe because all he did was recreate movie scenes from sh*tty trucker movies with super high-poly models that look way out of place in San Andreas? That's my guess.

So yea, those are all the Old GTA Machinimas I like and one I don't like. They don't make them like that anymore and it's just great to look back and reflect before the GTA youtube thing turned into cancer. But yea, let's discuss and share them if we may.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, ten-a-penny, Payne Killer and 4 others like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:29 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 28 April 2017 - 03:39 PM.

Not as old and defenetly not as Amateur, but I really miss him. Such a shame he isn't around to see GTA V with Mods:

('Till this day I think he predicted the Trevor-Johnny thing)

As for San Andreas-era Machinimas, I only saw some made in SA-MP from my country because I didn't understand English at the time (the original was removed because of Copyright), and there was some weird ones with Loquendo in Spanish. I'll leave them here anyways cuz why not?

• ClaudeSpeed1911, LeakyLine, ten-a-penny and 6 others like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Not as old and defenetly not as Amateur, but I really miss him. Such a shame he isn't around to see GTA V with Mods:

('Till this day I think he predicted the Trevor-Johnny thing)

As for San Andreas-era Machinimas, I only saw some made in SA-MP from my country because I didn't understand English at the time (the original was removed because of Copyright), and there was some weird ones with Loquendo in Spanish. I'll leave them here anyways cuz why not?

Yeardly Diamond was the best. RIP.

I remember watching a ton of these videos back in the day. Those were the days, man... *sigh*
  • ten-a-penny, Ivan1997GTA, spaceshape and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

I feel like Yeardly Diamond was sort of a cheater in regards to the SA machinimas. Go ahead and hang me from the rafters but keep in mind that IV had proper recording & editing tools built into the game, whereas for San Andreas and Vice City you had to find workarounds to be able to film stuff and that's kinda magical looking back on it.

• spaceshape likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

I feel like Yeardly Diamond was sort of a cheater in regards to the SA machinimas. Go ahead and hang me from the rafters but keep in mind that IV had proper recording & editing tools built into the game, whereas for San Andreas and Vice City you had to find workarounds to be able to film stuff and that's kinda magical looking back on it.

I wouldn't say a cheater. As time goes, new tools are created to make Machinima creation easier, he was just on the correct time. Sure, most things made in GTA IV with the Simple Native Trainer and the Video Editor are better than most old Machinimas, but Yeardley still put tons of effort into his videos. Making Niko sing in-sync with Never Gonna Give You Up is a good example of that.

• spaceshape likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

I wouldn't say a cheater. As time goes, new tools are created to make Machinima creation easier, he was just on the correct time. Sure, most things made in GTA IV with the Simple Native Trainer and the Video Editor are better than most old Machinimas, but Yeardley still put tons of effort into his videos. Making Niko sing in-sync with Never Gonna Give You Up is a good example of that.

I'm not saying he put less effort into the content of the videos, I'm just saying that I feel like I appreciate machinimas more when the games they're recorded with don't have any proper editing/recording features. Like San Andreas & Vice City for example.

• DOUGL4S1 likes this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Yeardly Diamond R.I.P 

• Steezy. likes this

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Gutted

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

I doubt anyone watched these, but when I was 12, I used to watch this "SA:MP Cops" series on Youtube. It was dorky as f*ck, but it was fun. Some of the earlier episodes I assume are just a bunch of friends screwing around, but it does evolve over the span of it's existence. The creator even launched a new series called "Cops: Vice" set in GTA V. It's pretty neat.

• universetwisters, LevelDockSix, D9fred95 and 1 other like this

Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:00 PM Edited by Steezy., 28 April 2017 - 11:02 PM.

I remember watching a lot of GTA 4 machinimas back when it first came out. Flatliners, Silent Hell,Heavy Rain in Liberty City,The Bad Assassin,Newbie,Glitches Bloopers & Funny Stuff...I could go on.

SA had some really good ones too,none that I can remember at the moment though. Man,Machinimas were the best,they dont make em like they did back then. GTA V kinda lacks that 'feel' the other games have.

R.I.P. to Yeardly Diamond, he was the best. 😭
  • Payne Killer, LaBombaRomba, LincolnClay and 2 others like this

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Daily Globe
  • Finland

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:23 AM

Speaking of Yeardley Diamond, my favorite of all-time is definitely Heavy Rain in Liberty City. The fact that someone went and basically merged two of my favorite games was pretty astounding.

• universetwisters, LevelDockSix, DOUGL4S1 and 1 other like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:01 AM

The thing about 3D era Machinimas for me is that, as universetwisters pointed out, you need to go after the tools to make them, so not only you needed to have a rough idea of what you're doing, but also they were not that common, so we'd be more impressed with a well done job. As the HD universe rolled in with pre-build editing tools, not only many more people were able to do their Machinimas, but the ones who knew how to do it could do an excellent job with it, so much that people have made an entire movie on GTA IV (I only found it with French subs).

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

That Trashmaster movie annoyed the hell out of me, mostly just because even though it's obviously Liberty City, it still insists that it's set in New York. Even when there's f*cking LCPD cars right in the shot. Damn! At least it's got it's own IMDB page.

But yea, like you said I appreciate pre-IV Machinimas more because you actually had to figure out how to film the movie as much as you had to figure out where to put the characters, what to make them do, etc. whereas with these out-of-the-box ways of doing them in IV and V, literally anybody can do them. Not saying that's bad, but it means you have to go through twice as much sh*tty stuff to get to the really good stuff.

• jaljax likes this

TheSadisticOwl
  • TheSadisticOwl

Chrome horses with pink dollar horseshoes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

I remember plenty of old machinimas done with GTA SA, specially horror videos based around the game's myths using mods and that one X Files song. 

Here's the first video of a series that covers a lot of myths the game has with the Misterix Mod. I watched all of them back around 2010 and I enjoyed them. As they progress, a cast is somewhat created, with CJ being part of SA's MIB who go around fighting off personifications of the myths and such. While nowadays these may seem dumb, they were really entertaining back then.

• universetwisters, Leone Family, DOUGL4S1 and 1 other like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:50 AM

That Trashmaster movie annoyed the hell out of me, mostly just because even though it's obviously Liberty City, it still insists that it's set in New York. Even when there's f*cking LCPD cars right in the shot. Damn! At least it's got it's own IMDB page.

Watching a bit back it has its flaws. As you said, would be better if the creator would stick with the GTA lore.

I remember plenty of old machinimas done with GTA SA, specially horror videos based around the game's myths using mods and that one X Files song. 

-vid-

Here's the first video of a series that covers a lot of myths the game has with the Misterix Mod. I watched all of them back around 2010 and I enjoyed them. As they progress, a cast is somewhat created, with CJ being part of SA's MIB who go around fighting off personifications of the myths and such. While nowadays these may seem dumb, they were really entertaining back then.

I have sort of a trauma with these 'cause 12 year-old me watched videos like these, and eventually I was too scared to play the game. But looking back some of them were pretty fun. Untill this day, Back O' Beyond and The Panopticon gives me chills.

• TheSadisticOwl likes this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:54 AM

Chillay's SA-MP Cops. Funny as hell back in the day.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

but now you're buried rest nigga cuz i ain't worried

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:35 PM Edited by Still Madd, 01 May 2017 - 11:56 PM.

* Still Madd enters the time machine.

* Still Madd sets the era to the 2007-2013 one.

* Still Madd is now enjoying a bunch of machinimas.

• Leone Family likes this

Spadge
  • Spadge

Hoochie Coochie Man

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:42 AM Edited by Spadge, 03 May 2017 - 10:46 AM.

When I think about Machinimas i think about Yardley, RIP.

Otherwise for V and San Andreas the YTPs and parodies are great and/or seriously f*cked up currently:

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

Machinimas =/=YTPs tho

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

PEDS was up there for me; shame that Pawfect seems to be pretty much inactive now (and back then). Chillay14's COPS (as someone already posted) was another favorite. I see some of you value the 3D-era machinimas more because more effort has to be made but nonetheless if you get a stellar and/or enjoyable piece of video in the end, its a win in my book imo.

The Bad Assassin Series, UltraBenBuja's old videos, Yeardley Diamonds', JANTSUU's videos were all top notch from the IV scene. "Trashmaster" is very nice but yes, it was kinda' annoying seeing them refer to Liberty City as NYC and such. Just a lil' pet peee perhaps haha

Been fun watching FlyingKitty's and Los Santos Casts' YTPs as of late though (though you could argue its not exactly a machinima like UT mentioned).

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

I mean just because a YTP has a lot of effort put into it, that doesn't mean it's a machinima. Mostly because it's reliant on in-game footage like cutscenes and whatnot instead of original bits.

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Gutted

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

If you really want to get down and dirty with obscure machinimas, I just remembered this one from way back 2009. It's not even that good, and it's not really a machinima.. it's more along the lines of a guy improvising a scenario lol. but I do remember liking it for it's use of the Indigo Prophecy OST. Holy fak I loved that game.

• universetwisters and Payne Killer like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Yeardly Diamond R.I.P 

Out of curiosity, did anybody say how he passed? He was kind of young wasn't he?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Yeardly Diamond R.I.P 

Out of curiosity, did anybody say how he passed? He was kind of young wasn't he?

According to this post, it was from cardiac arrest and he was 28.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:30 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 06 May 2017 - 02:05 PM.

Yeardly Diamond R.I.P 

His brother posted it on his Facebook. It was a cardiac arrest.

Edit: OT:

The second Machinima Youtuber that comes to mind is JANTSUU. His 'My funniest GTA IV PC moments' series started as a Funny Moments series (Duh) and it turned into a random short skits series full of recurring characters:

Some of his most recent Machinimas with GTA V are amazing as well. But IMO, some of his newer videos with GTA V testing and stuff are pretty bad.

• Fallcreek likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users