Quantcast

» «
Photo

Peer-to-Peer or Servers?

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Peer-to-Peer or Servers? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Servers or P2P?

1. Servers (10 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. P2P (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
KertFaceMan
  • KertFaceMan

i am born in the olympics.

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by KertFaceMan, 4 weeks ago.

we all know that the current GTA:O uses p2p, which has it's fair bit of issues and is really just bad.

Peer to Peer

Pros -
Most likely never gets shut down
Cheaper for R*

Cons -
Causes connectivity issues
Depends on a "player" host, this means if his/her internet is bad then sh*t will be bad

Servers

Pros
Way better for everyone
More stable servers

Cons
Will most likely get shut down when a newer GTA releases.
Possibly requires more maintenance 

I feel like this is never talked about but would make a huge difference, what do you think? I prefer Servers.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by DOUGL4S1, 4 weeks ago.

I think the servers aren't really an issue most of the time, the issue is how GTA Online's architecture is flawed. Things like 10-minute loading screens, or if you have a connection problem you have to go back to Singleplayer, and more 10-minute loading, and then you need to go back into online and etc. It would be cool to have more control over the server we are in, for example, a slider for how many players you want to play with in a public section, so if you want to be thrown into a 30-player server for fun you could do it, or if you want your public server to just have a random low-level guy so you can make missions in peace you could. GTA IV's Multiplayer was much better in that way.

• Maibatsu545 and KertFaceMan like this

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago

I really doubt the servers would get shut down when another GTA releases. Look at GTA IV. IV's multiplayer is still running after 9 years.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

It was mine, Cactus Wine!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 4 weeks ago

I really doubt the servers would get shut down when another GTA releases. Look at GTA IV. IV's multiplayer is still running after 9 years.

Well, GTA IV only uses Games For Windows Live (Xbox Live PC equivalent) as a Master Server, everything is still handled Peer 2 Peer I guess.

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well, GTA IV only uses Games For Windows Live (Xbox Live PC equivalent) as a Master Server, everything is still handled Peer 2 Peer I guess.

Pretty sure that at least the stats use servers.

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Maibatsu545, 4 weeks ago.

Peer to Peer is garbage. Yeah I'm really glad my Pacific Standard Finale is being hosted on Joe Schmoe's potato internet. Lovely.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

It was mine, Cactus Wine!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 4 weeks ago

And to answer the OP's question, Community Servers would be the best :p

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

● ← Hole to another universe

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Servers, no question. But I would like the option to host servers privately, similar to the server rental system in BF3. P2P would work fine for invite only sessions but I don't know if that's feasible to implement.

• Mister Pink likes this

KertFaceMan
  • KertFaceMan

i am born in the olympics.

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think the servers aren't really an issue most of the time, the issue is how GTA Online's architecture is flawed. Things like 10-minute loading screens, or if you have a connection problem you have to go back to Singleplayer, and more 10-minute loading, and then you need to go back into online and etc. It would be cool to have more control over the server we are in, for example, a slider for how many players you want to play with in a public section, so if you want to be thrown into a 30-player server for fun you could do it, or if you want your public server to just have a random low-level guy so you can make missions in peace you could. GTA IV's Multiplayer was much better in that way.

I agree

xDatxJunkyx
  • xDatxJunkyx

Thug

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

No one better not be defending P2P, you must be on crack if you find P2P to be "Okay" 

. . . blech,  RDR2O better not have this issue . . . constant black screens, 

----- left 

----- left 
----- left 
----- left 

----- left 

Yeah, let's try and build up on that instead of bringing it along. :/ 

• Maibatsu545 and TheHolyNZF like this

Earleys
  • Earleys

Snitch

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted A week ago

Never thought about this but like others I agree that servers would be the best option. But it would be nice if they could also build in support for p2p (or custom servers!) in case they decide to stop hosting. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users