10 replies to this topic
WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:56 AM Edited by WildBrick142, 23 April 2017 - 01:15 AM.

z1Bk8ab.png

This is the first license plate mod for GTA V made to function as an add-on. Seven plates have been taken from iFruit files and modified to include stickers and/or normal maps, while the rest were made from scratch. All plates are lore-friendly. Kind of a shame Rockstar never included the ones featured in iFruit files, it would add some variety to customization.

Lore-friendly plates and state names/slogans aim to be satirized the way Rockstar would do it (or at least close to that because we all have a long way to reach that R* satire quality), and are not meant to offend anyone. If I accidentally release a seriously offending plate, let me know and I will correct/remove it. Naming suggestions are welcome as long as they are somewhat relevant to the state they parody and are not highly offensive.

History
 The first plate I have created has been "Vice City" (even the folder I make and store license plates in is called "vicecity" to this day) for the purpose of taking some screenshots of the Grotti Cheetah Classic that was recently converted by _CP_ at that time.

A few months later, once the Liberty City DLC rumors and wishlists started popping up if I remember correctly, I thought of making a prank, in the form of a fake Snapmatic picture, on the Next DLC Speculation thread. I have made the Liberty City plate and took green-screened screenshots. The plan was foiled as I was unable to turn the image into Snapmatic format without the game throwing up a "This image is corrupted." error. That idea has died with the plate. I was thinking of modifying the remaining iFruit plates and releasing the whole set as a mod but since tons of other people have already done that, meaning I wouldn't be bringing anything fresh to the table, I decided not to.

On August 11, 2016, it has finally happened. "It" being carcols.ymt. Decoded, readable and editable. All thanks to the OpenIV Team. As I checked the file out I noticed that the license plates were defined in great detail. Me being the usual curious self, I added on the Liberty City plate and Vice City plate I had lying around for almost a year. I was surprised to see it worked! Liberty City and Vice City plates were now independent - no more texture replacing nonsense. I quickly went ahead and converted the remaining iFruit plates, and played with some of the other options that allowed me to control their text size, placement and color. Later that day, 8 hours after the release of carcols.ymt, I have released the first version of my mod to GTA5-Mods.com; New License Plates [Add-On].

Since I am a massive fan(boy) of USA, one of the every things I admired were the license plates. How they looked nice and interesting, were varied, and did not ruin the look of the car as easily (imo), in most cases at least. The next day, I started recreating that one plate R* falsely advertised back in the day (then again, they said we'd get the text, not the actual design) and once that was done, I started my goal of doing all the states in a lore-friendly form. Starting off with North Volucrina (North Carolina), then Robada (Nevada), and lastly Alderney (New Jersey), before updating the mod with more and more plates over time.

And now we're here.

Versions/Changes/Download
 LATEST RELEASE: 12APR217 (04/12/2017)

"Remember when Vice City has celebrated its 100-year anniversary in the 90s? One has thought the limited-edition commemorative plates were lost over the years, and ones that survived had owners that kept them in poor condition, yet that wasn't the case. Some brand new plates were found, and it's your chance to get them again! And if Vice City is not your thing, there are a few Alamo plates to choose alongside a Cataldo plate for this spring."
  • Added four new plates: Alamo Classic, Alamo (Graphics), Alamo (Graphics 2), Cataldo
  • Re-did one plate: Vice City
    • Gold sticker variant is the default. Variations with SA orange sticker and higher "Vice City" logo placement are included, and have to be installed manually.
  • Updated random chance carvariation files with the 4 new plates. The chances are:
    • 2% for Alamo Classic, Alamo (Graphics) and Alamo (Graphics 2)
    • 2% for Cataldo
  • Vehicles from the base game can now spawn with the new plates in traffic! Finally!
Download from GTA5-Mods!

PREVIOUS RELEASES:
Spoiler

Installation
 I'm terrible at explaining things, so I hope this is not overly complicated.

All you have to do is add vehshare.ytd to x64e.rpf/levels/gta5/vehicles/vehicles.rpf and carcols.ymt to update.rpf/x64/data, and you're good to go! If you have either file modified, instructions for manual installation are at the end of this section.

Optionally, you can add carvariation files so that the plates naturally spawn on vehicles in traffic. The chance is random, and not all vehicles feature add-on plates. All carvariation files go into update.rpf/dlc_patch OR their DLC packs if they're not in dlc_patch.
- Go to update.rpf/dlc_patch. You will have a bunch of DLC folders.
- Go to update.rpf/dlc_patch/[dlc folder]/data. Then go to a folder with the same name of the dlc folder in the .rar archive.
- Copy carvariations.meta from the .rar archive and paste it into update.rpf/dlc_patch/[dlc folder]/data.

Some DLC's do not have a folder in dlc_patch. In that case, you will have to create one. Just create it the same way the others are done. Or just copy the DLC's and paste the carvariation file into dlc.rpf/data, whatever you choose. If you go through with the dlc_patch method, you will have o add another file in. The file is called extratitleupdatedata.meta and you put it in update.rpf/data, replacing the original file.

There's another carvariation file inside the "x64a or update-x64-data" folder. This one is called carvariations.ymt, and it goes to a different place. You can put this one to the same place where you've put carcols - update.rpf/x64/data - or you can put it in x64a.rpf/data instead.

If the game crashes, either I've done something wrong or You've done something wrong, or compatibility issues occurred. Best to let me know if the game crashes after installing this mod, so that the problem can be identified and fixed faster.

To install plates manually, you will have to add the plate code into carcols.ymt (code is included in the readme). For the plate textures, you add them to vehshare.ytd exactly as they are. Alternative plate textures have to be replaced manually regardless, all you have to do is replace the corresponding texture. No easy way for carvariations - you will have to add, or copy, all the probabilities manually, or just wait for a compatibility version or something.

Spawn Info
 Currently there is no known way to get the plates to appear in Los Santos Customs. There are trainers (Simple Trainer and Menyoo for example) out there that allow to select added on plates. Another way to get them to spawn is by circulating them in traffic, which is, unfortunately, a quite tedious step. Nothing is stopping you from replacing existing plates, though, if you don't want to go through all the trouble of adding them to traffic and/or don't like using trainers.

So if you want to go through with adding probabilities manually, or would like them to install in custom add-on mods, these are the names you will have to add into the "Plate Probability" section in carvariations.meta.

- Liberty City Plate
- Liberty City Plate 2
- Liberty City Plate 3
- Vice City Plate
- Sprunk Plate
- Patriot Plate
- Shrimps Plate
- SA Lake
- North Birds
- Alderney Plate
- Robada Plate
- Lincoln Plate
- Epsilon Plate
- Miami Plate
- Classic Miami Plate
- Classic Miami Plate 2
- Good Desert
- North Yankton Plate
- South Yankton Plate
- South Birds
- SA Firefighter
- Alamo Plate
- Alamo Plate 2
- Alamo Plate 3
- Cataldo Plate

Credits/Thanks

• Rockstar Games - for leaving the iFruit plates behind, and making the actual game in the first place.
  • OpenIV Team - for decoded carcols.ymt and their tool used for modding the game.
  • Neodymium - for MetaTool, used to get a decoded version of carvariations.ymt.
  • GTA5-Mods - for hosting the mod.
  • License Plates of The World - for databasing all the different license plates and their designs not just in the US but around the whole world.
  • Wikipedia - for detailed information on license plates and places in the United States.
  • Adobe - for Photoshop, I gotta make these plates somehow after all.
  • NormalMap Online - for the online normal map generator because I haven't a clue how to make those myself.
  • Google & its Search results (too many to list, sorry :c) - for detailed information on state names, places, license plates, and pretty much everything used to help make this mod.
  • The Community - for suggestions, and downloading the mod.
  • Carrythxd, Toghrul Rahimli, universetwisters and 4 others like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:57 AM Edited by WildBrick142, 23 April 2017 - 01:11 AM.

Tutorial/Documentation This is the tutorial for making your own add-on license plates and some sort of a documentation for the plate settings in the carcols file. It will be updated whenever new information is found or something needs to be corrected. Once again, I hope I'm not explaining this as poorly as I think I am.

Image tutorial (for easier sharing/offline use)

Spoiler

Text tutorial

Spoiler
  • Toghrul Rahimli, universetwisters and HeySlickThatsMe like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:58 AM Edited by WildBrick142, 23 April 2017 - 01:12 AM.

lt3vpeB.png

Welcome to our one-stop-shop for license plates! We hope you will find something nice for your car here! The stock is expanding every now and again so if you don't see a plate you'd like, check back some other time or feel free to request a plate for the queue! All plate designs are street-legal in the State of San Andreas and are approved by the San Andreas DMV. We are currently pending approval at six locations outside of San Andreas, including LIberty City and Vice City.

Proudly sponsored by Invetero and Lampadati Classic, providing us with their flagship Coquette and Tropos Rallye models, respectively, for plate fitting and testing purposes.

Below is our catalog of the current stock. At the moment we have no plans to sell Canadian or Mexican plates.

ImagePlate NameDescription
History
Notes
x6kzwYV.pngLiberty City"A plate famous for its appearance during the time when illegal immigrants and organized mafia were tearing up the city, leaving the cops confused as every plate said "LIBERTY CITY". Is it still a replica if it features proper registration now? It will look great for when you decide to visit LC again this year!"

The standard Liberty City plate as seen in Grand Theft Auto IV. Based on New York plate used from 2001-2010.

Originally taken from iFruit files and modified to have stickers and normals, it has since been redone and is sticker-less with the stickered version as an option.
MjIggSP.pngVice City"Commemorative plate for Vice City released to celebrate its 100-year Anniversary sometime in the 90s. Believed to have been lost forever, some collectors managed to preserve the plate and help us mass-produce it for everyone."

City silhouette taken from a 1984 Vice City postcard (as seen in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories). Doesn't seem to be based on any real-life plate.

Originally taken from iFruit files and modified to have stickers and normals, it has since been redone and features a single sticker with the two stickers version as an option
27RkyNP.pngLiberty City (Modern)"What has changed since 2008, you ask? Apart from the flood and storm in LC making us fish one of these plates out among some rusty hipster bicycles, not much."

Based on New York plate used since 2010.

Originally taken from iFruit files and modified to have stickers and normals, it has since been redone and is sticker-less with the stickered version as an option.
dojre13.pngLiberty City (Classic)"A classic version of the Liberty City plate, what else is there to say? Will look perfect on your rusty old Blista Compact."

Based on New York plate used from 1986-2001.

Tl2P4Jb.pngSprunk"We get it. You're a soda addict. And you love extreme sports. And you want to show it off more than you already do with your Sprunk Buffalo, Brioso R/A, or the Pony van you stole to have all this shipment for yourself. Have a plate."

Sprunk-liveried plate. Doesn't seem to be based on any real-life plate.

Taken from iFruit files and modified to have stickers and normals.
ANgnBf6.pngPatriot Beer"If you live near the Alamo Sea and regularly show off your patriotism by blowing things up while drinking beer AND driving a US-flag-themed monster truck that's towing a Technical with your friend at the gun, all at the same time, this is for you."

Patriot Beer-liveried plate. Doesn't seem to be based on any real-life plate.

B5f4Hv5.pngLos Santos Shrimps"This is a plate worth getting shot for! Assuming you attach it to your car and drive down Grove Street."

LS Shrimps-liveried plate. Doesn't seem to be based on any real-life plate.

5wxLAB3.pngSan Andreas Lake"The government of San Andreas is actively trying to protect the state wildlife, and to do so they get funding from pricy plates such as this one. Alamo Sea preservation may have been a flop, but we're sure Lake San Andreas will be in good hands."

As seen advertised by Rockstar during several Snapmatic contests in 2013/2014. Based on California's Lake Tahoe plate.

Made from scratch.
wtS0bvC.pngNorth Volucrina"A state established by a British prince with an obession with birds, or flying things in general. This has carried over to newer generations which not only invented the first aircraft, but were also the first to be able to take it off the ground... and then proceed to crash it."

Based on North Carolina plate used in 1981-2015. North Carolina was named after King Charles I in Latin (Carolus) - "Volucrina" is a modified version of the Latin word "volucres", meaning "birds" or "flying things", in reference to how Carolina is a modified version of the Latin word "carolus", meaning "Charles", and the fact that the first plane flight happened in this state.

Made from scratch.
cS1tNAY.pngAlderney/New Alderney"A state known for its industrial wastelands and identity crisis. The state is referred to as "Alderney" by the older residents, while the hipsters and police officers refer to it as "New Alderney". Nobody knows what the actual name is anymore, and there's always conflict between those two with each side assuming they're right and others are wrong. This is the world we live in, people!"

Based on New Jersey plate used since 1991. "Alderney" is a state in Grand Theft Auto IV that, in-game, shares license plates with Liberty City.

Made from scratch. Includes versions with/without embossment and with "Alderney"/"New Alderney" text options.
DeUMcI9.pngRobada"What do rich people do when they move here? They go to the illustrious casions in Las Venturas, and then start asking "What the hell happened?" as they sit on the sidewalks with nothing more but their clothes and their old car's license plate a few hours later."

Based on Nevada plate used since 2001. Named after "Tierra Robada", a location in GTA San Andreas. Robada means "stolen" in Spanish, and sounds very similar to Nevada, while also being a fitting name considering that this state has Las Venturas (Las Vegas). "The Aluminum State" slogan comes from the real life "The Silver State" as both are similar in terms of color - also aluminum foil and Area 51, get it?

Made from scratch.
jKiw2bd.pngLincoln"This state is well-known for two things. The president's birthplace and hackers. We doubt people wanted hackers to be officially recognized on a license plate, so the president it is!"

Based on Illinois plate used since 2001. Naming comes from Abraham Lincoln and the real-life text "Land of Lincoln". "Land of Peoria" is based on the town of Peoria which was one of the oldest settlements (and the first European settlement in the state), and Native American tribes, in Illinois (or at least that's what Google tells me) - I guess that's also the name of the president in GTA world? R* didn't make a list of GTA-world presidents - or states - so I had to improvise, as usual.

Made from scratch.
nFuwHIJ.pngEpsilon Program"Kifflom!"

Kifflom! Kifflom, Kifflom, Kifflom Kifflom!

Kifflom, Kifflom. Kifflom.
vdLK7MZ.pngMiami"Much like the necessity of drastic plate design changes, the state's relevance has also fallen since the 80s."

Based on Florida plate used since 2003. While trying to make up names, I was thinking - Miami was mentioned before GTA:Vice City was a thing. Then Miami became Vice City. So I thought to myself, why not clear this up by assuming "Miami" is the state name? I blame Rockstar.

Made from scratch.
Zid6F9p.pngMiami (Classic)"All groups of people have a small percentage. For example, some people grew up with TV shows about some cops in Vice City. While the Grotti Cheetah is more popular, there is that 1% that prefers the Stinger replica built on top of a Coquette and finds it more nostalgic. Now it's your chance to be that 1%. Fulfill your childhood dream!"

Based on Florida plate used in 1978-1986.

Made from scratch. Includes variation without a scratched month sticker.
PCGtC7m.pngMiami (Classic (2))"So what about the Cheetah, then? Yes, we've got those people covered, too."

Based on Florida plate used in 1986-1991.

Made from scratch. Includes variation without a scratched month sticker.
QTEmSh2.pngHareona"Welcome to... uh... well... a good desert I suppose? Bring a good dessert in the form of ice cream, assuming they don't evaporate by the time you get here with your shiny new plate."

Based on Arizona plate used since 1997. Name comes from Basque "harea ona" meaning "good sand", similarly to how Arizona (or at least one of the reasons) comes from Basque "haritz ona"/""aritz onak" meaning "good oak".

Made from scratch.
zI8zFQm.pngNorth Yankton"Ah, yes, "Discover the Soul". This was quite a controversial slogan considering that people literally started digging up graves in barren towns to find souls. Apart from all the snow, and the Mid-West's Biggest Beaver, that's North Yankton for you."

Based on North Dakota plates used in 1993-2015. Thanks to Rockstar, I did not need to think of any names for this state and its South equivalent. No, it does not replace the original Yankton plates.

Made from scratch.
eK8N25v.pngSouth Yankton"This is where four famous presidents have their faces carved on a mountain and printed on a license plate. That's about it."

Based on South Dakota plate used in 2007-2015. something something North Yankton.

Made from scratch.
xgzaqR9.pngSouth Volucrina"Is it a sunrise? Is it a sunset? No, it's a license plate, dummy. You put it on your car, hello? On a serious note... well... you know what? We don't have a serious note."

Based on South Carolina plate used in 2008-2016. Name is already explained in the North variant. One wonders why I haven't made and included this long ago along with the North variant. Oh well, now it is.

Made from scratch.
a1h77c3.pngSA Firefighter"To honor the heroic firefighters that risk their lives making sure places like the FIB building don't burn down to the ground, the firefighters, whether current or retired, get an option to use this plate instead. Of course, we can still sell it to you if you have nothing to do with fighting fires and prefer torching FIB buildings instead."

Based on the California Firefighter plate.

Made from scratch. Includes sticker-less version.
AoHwPJv.pngAlamo Classic"We're not sure why "plate visibility" was enough of a problem to do something about it when half the people don't know how to drive to begin with, especially in the winter when every road turns into a trucking carnage due to the one inch of snow that has fallen overnight. Comes with a feeling of a deja vu, because it resembles an old design no-one cares about."

Based on Texas plate (known as "Texas Classic") used since 2012. Name comes from The Alamo Mission which was assaulted by Mexican troops during Battle of the Alamo in San Antonio in 1836 and has become one of Texas' most famous landmarks.

Made from scratch.
2fqGmLj.pngAlamo (Graphics)"So you ask what caused visibility to be a problem? This plate should answer your question. If it hasn't, we guess someone out there has a vision problem."

Based on Texas plate used from 2009 to 2012.

Made from scratch.
ltrrWVK.pngAlamo (Graphics (2))"Just so you know, the space shuttle and the cowboy do not mean you are, or were, an astronaut, let alone a space cowboy. It does mean you have a license plate with some fancy graphics, though."

Based on Texas plate used from 1999 to 2009.

Made from scratch.
QTLJ201.pngCataldo"This state provides state-of-the-art technology to multi-billion dollar video game companies in order to keep their online services running 24/7. Not just that, they're edible, and ridiculously cheap. You'd think such tech would be more expensive than a space agency's supercomputer, yet a bag costs around five bucks. Increase the notoriety of this technological wonder even further with this shiny new plate."

Based on Idaho plate used since 1998. Named after the The Silver Valley's Old Mission State Park, which is also known as the Cataldo Mission, which is the oldest standing building in Idaho and a national historic landmark.

Made from scratch.
  • Ash_735, universetwisters, HeySlickThatsMe and 2 others like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

Reserved for when I reach the 40 images limit.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well done! I don't know what I like better, the witty descriptions for the plates or the fact that the North Yankton plate actually looks like the North Dakota one. If you're willing to take suggestions from someone who lives in the land of fancy plates like these, I'd suggest some antique plates like the one below that you can stick on cars that're X ammount of years old (30 in my state of Florida). It'd be a nice touch to see older cars spawn with them but then again, they aren't really fancy compared to the other ones.

FloridaAntique.jpg

But seriously tho, great work

• WildBrick142 likes this

Boywond
  • Boywond

Dead Cruiser

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Boywond, 4 weeks ago.

Amazing!

Spoiler

EDIT: whoops, sorry, haven't noticed it  :whistle:

• WildBrick142 likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 4 weeks ago

Even though I don't mod GTAV, I love the amount of detail and research/thinking you're putting into these additional plates AND for providing the content Rockstar were supposed to back when the damn game came out!
  • WildBrick142 and Wakka387 like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by WildBrick142, 4 weeks ago.

Well done! I don't know what I like better, the witty descriptions for the plates or the fact that the North Yankton plate actually looks like the North Dakota one. If you're willing to take suggestions from someone who lives in the land of fancy plates like these, I'd suggest some antique plates like the one below that you can stick on cars that're X ammount of years old (30 in my state of Florida). It'd be a nice touch to see older cars spawn with them but then again, they aren't really fancy compared to the other ones.

FloridaAntique.jpg

But seriously tho, great work

Thanks! At the moment I'm not considering these plates mostly because (I assume) they'd be pretty rare, especially all the way on the other coast (the other, modern, plates are already more common in the mod than they probably are IRL). Though I will keep this particular plate in mind as I'm planning something that could use it.

In other news, I've been playing a bit with the font and Liberty plates.

b5LCyBL.png

• universetwisters and Testeuros like this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Looks great. I hope to see some real US state plates in addition to the fictional GTA ones.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

Looks great. I hope to see some real US state plates in addition to the fictional GTA ones.

But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this mod?

• Jinx. likes this

Napoleone
  • Napoleone

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 3 weeks ago

Vice City is located within Florida "lore-wise".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users