This is the first license plate mod for GTA V made to function as an add-on. Seven plates have been taken from iFruit files and modified to include stickers and/or normal maps, while the rest were made from scratch. All plates are lore-friendly. Kind of a shame Rockstar never included the ones featured in iFruit files, it would add some variety to customization.
Lore-friendly plates and state names/slogans aim to be satirized the way Rockstar would do it (or at least close to that because we all have a long way to reach that R* satire quality), and are not meant to offend anyone. If I accidentally release a seriously offending plate, let me know and I will correct/remove it. Naming suggestions are welcome as long as they are somewhat relevant to the state they parody and are not highly offensive.
The first plate I have created has been "Vice City" (even the folder I make and store license plates in is called "vicecity" to this day) for the purpose of taking some screenshots of the Grotti Cheetah Classic that was recently converted by _CP_ at that time.
A few months later, once the Liberty City DLC rumors and wishlists started popping up if I remember correctly, I thought of making a prank, in the form of a fake Snapmatic picture, on the Next DLC Speculation thread. I have made the Liberty City plate and took green-screened screenshots. The plan was foiled as I was unable to turn the image into Snapmatic format without the game throwing up a "This image is corrupted." error. That idea has died with the plate. I was thinking of modifying the remaining iFruit plates and releasing the whole set as a mod but since tons of other people have already done that, meaning I wouldn't be bringing anything fresh to the table, I decided not to.
On August 11, 2016, it has finally happened. "It" being carcols.ymt. Decoded, readable and editable. All thanks to the OpenIV Team. As I checked the file out I noticed that the license plates were defined in great detail. Me being the usual curious self, I added on the Liberty City plate and Vice City plate I had lying around for almost a year. I was surprised to see it worked! Liberty City and Vice City plates were now independent - no more texture replacing nonsense. I quickly went ahead and converted the remaining iFruit plates, and played with some of the other options that allowed me to control their text size, placement and color. Later that day, 8 hours after the release of carcols.ymt, I have released the first version of my mod to GTA5-Mods.com; New License Plates [Add-On].
Since I am a massive fan(boy) of USA, one of the every things I admired were the license plates. How they looked nice and interesting, were varied, and did not ruin the look of the car as easily (imo), in most cases at least. The next day, I started recreating that one plate R* falsely advertised back in the day (then again, they said we'd get the text, not the actual design) and once that was done, I started my goal of doing all the states in a lore-friendly form. Starting off with North Volucrina (North Carolina), then Robada (Nevada), and lastly Alderney (New Jersey), before updating the mod with more and more plates over time.
And now we're here.
LATEST RELEASE: 25DEC217 (12/25/2017)
"It's that time of the year, when it is snowing to the point hell can freeze over and seeing how this is San Andreas we're in, it's probably an apocalypse. Is it not cold enough for you? Head out to Minnewa or Misquakewan. Still not cold enough? Tanadux is your friend. But then, you might as well head out to Carcer City for a quick death, or just chuck yourself down a volcano in Haiateaa. Or do you not care about weather conditions and prefer to chill out to 1980's insipred movies and music? In that case we've managed to cram in another San Andreas variation - The Retrowave. Merry Christmas!"
- Updated compatibility to GTA Online:The Doomsday Heist (v1.0.1290.1).
- Added OpenIV package for easier installation.
- Added seven new plates: Added seven new plates: Minnewa, Yankton (clean), Misquakewan, Carcer City, Tanadux, Haiateaa, SA Retrowave
- Carcer City plates included in the mod with permission from BLACKHACK09, modified to keep them consistent with other plates in the mod. www.carcer.gov and CCPD plates are optional variants.
- Updated San Andreas (Yellow) plate, it is not as bright anymore.
- The original bright color is now an optional variant.
- Rewritten the installation instructions. Hopefully they are more clear now. Thanks to futurestoryteller for feedback and suggestions.
- Updated random chance carvariation files with the seven new plates. The chances are:
- 3% for San Andreas (Retrowave) [select vehicles only]
- 1% for Yankton (clean) [20% for snowy vehicles]
- 1% for Misquakewan
- 1% for Minnewa
- 1% for Carcer City
- 1% for Tanadux
- 1% for Haiateaa
I'm terrible at explaining things, so I hope this is not overly complicated.
All you have to do is add vehshare.ytd to x64e.rpf/levels/gta5/vehicles/vehicles.rpf and carcols.ymt to update.rpf/x64/data, and you're good to go! If you have either file modified, instructions for manual installation are at the end of this section.
Optionally, you can add carvariation files so that the plates naturally spawn on vehicles in traffic. The chance is random, and not all vehicles feature add-on plates. All carvariation files go into update.rpf/dlc_patch OR their DLC packs if they're not in dlc_patch.
- Go to update.rpf/dlc_patch. You will have a bunch of DLC folders.
- Go to update.rpf/dlc_patch/[dlc folder]/data. Then go to a folder with the same name of the dlc folder in the .rar archive.
- Copy carvariations.meta from the .rar archive and paste it into update.rpf/dlc_patch/[dlc folder]/data.
Some DLC's do not have a folder in dlc_patch. In that case, you will have to create one. Just create it the same way the others are done. Or just copy the DLC's and paste the carvariation file into dlc.rpf/data, whatever you choose. If you go through with the dlc_patch method, you will have o add another file in. The file is called extratitleupdatedata.meta and you put it in update.rpf/data, replacing the original file.
There's another carvariation file inside the "x64a or update-x64-data" folder. This one is called carvariations.ymt, and it goes to a different place. You can put this one to the same place where you've put carcols - update.rpf/x64/data - or you can put it in x64a.rpf/data instead.
If the game crashes, either I've done something wrong or You've done something wrong, or compatibility issues occurred. Best to let me know if the game crashes after installing this mod, so that the problem can be identified and fixed faster.
To install plates manually, you will have to add the plate code into carcols.ymt (code is included in the readme). For the plate textures, you add them to vehshare.ytd exactly as they are. Alternative plate textures have to be replaced manually regardless, all you have to do is replace the corresponding texture. No easy way for carvariations - you will have to add, or copy, all the probabilities manually, or just wait for a compatibility version or something.
Or just use the OpenIV package.
Currently there is no known way to get the plates to appear in Los Santos Customs. There are trainers (Simple Trainer and Menyoo for example) out there that allow to select added on plates. Another way to get them to spawn is by circulating them in traffic, which is, unfortunately, a quite tedious step. Nothing is stopping you from replacing existing plates, though, if you don't want to go through all the trouble of adding them to traffic and/or don't like using trainers.
So if you want to go through with adding probabilities manually, or would like them to install in custom add-on mods, these are the names you will have to add into the "Plate Probability" section in carvariations.meta.
- Liberty City Plate
- Liberty City Plate 2
- Liberty City Plate 3
- Vice City Plate
- Sprunk Plate
- Patriot Plate
- Shrimps Plate
- SA Lake
- North Birds
- Alderney Plate
- Robada Plate
- Lincoln Plate
- Epsilon Plate
- Miami Plate
- Classic Miami Plate
- Classic Miami Plate 2
- Good Desert
- North Yankton Plate
- South Yankton Plate
- South Birds
- SA Firefighter
- Alamo Plate
- Alamo Plate 2
- Alamo Plate 3
- Cataldo Plate
- Swampland Plate
- Cascadia Plate
- SA Coquettes
- LC Crosswalk
- SA Crosswalk
- SA Arts
- Colina Plate
- Coloverdo Plate
- Jefferson Plate
- Capital Plate
- Meskousin Plate
- SA Yellow
- Anniversary Plate
- Minnewa Plate
- yankton plate 2
- Misquakewa Plate
- Carcer City Plate
- Tanadux Plate
- Haiateaa Plate
- SA Retrowave
- Rockstar Games - for leaving the iFruit plates behind, and making the actual game in the first place.
- OpenIV Team - for decoded carcols.ymt and their tool used for modding the game.
- Neodymium - for MetaTool, used to get a decoded version of carvariations.ymt.
- GTA5-Mods - for hosting the mod.
- License Plates of The World - for databasing all the different license plates and their designs not just in the US but around the whole world.
- Wikipedia - for detailed information on license plates and places in the United States.
- Adobe - for Photoshop, I gotta make these plates somehow after all.
- NormalMap Online - for the online normal map generator because I haven't a clue how to make those myself.
- Google & its Search results (too many to list, sorry :c) - for detailed information on state names, places, license plates, and pretty much everything used to help make this mod.
- The Community - for suggestions, and downloading the mod.
- _CP_ - for permission to create support for IVPack.
- Boywond & the Vanillaworks Team - for permission to create support for Vanillaworks Pack and Vanillaworks Extended.
- Cass - for permission to create support for World of Variety.
- BLACKHACK09 - for permission to include the Carcer City plates.
- futurestoryteller - for feedback and suggestions regarding the installation instructions