Photo

Total car damage and instand death after a big crash

22 replies to this topic
Colonel _Cortez
  • Colonel _Cortez

Crackhead

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:58 PM Edited by Colonel _Cortez, 18 April 2017 - 03:00 PM.

So how about a advanced car damage model?

So if you drive very fast and then crash against something, your entire car should be completely wrecked and you should die instandly like in Mafia. This would make driving much more challenging and interesting. Also cars shouldn't be able to explode or catch fire from crashes alone. Instead they just get crushed.

Its really annoying that you can drive like 300 kilometers against a wall and the only thing which results afterwards is a broken front light and some scratches on the bonnet.

• Mister Pink, anthony, (Ambient) and 1 other like this

SleezerZ
  • SleezerZ

Portuguese Outlaw

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:02 PM Edited by SleezerZ, 18 April 2017 - 03:03 PM.

That's not how gta works. Driving in an open world and therefore doing stunts/crashes is an important aspect to gta and instantly dying would make no sense. Maybe flying out of the window and then dying from the fall like in gta4.

• (Ambient), ten-a-penny and LincolnClay like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:44 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 18 April 2017 - 03:45 PM.

GTA Vice City's cars not only handle like melting butter, but they also have the same durability as melting butter. Also, there's a mod for GTA IV by Killatomate, Real Driving and Flying, it comes with an option for 300% damage, so cars get totaled after a big impact.

The thing about Mafia is that it is more of a story-driven game than GTA, so they can implement realistic things like dying in car crashes and the player having to obey traffic laws, while on GTA it would be pretty annoying sometimes. What I loved about Mafia II is that if your vehicle breaks down, you can "fix it", so you can drive around a bit more.

Also, go play BeamNG.drive and imagine that handling and damage model in GTA.

• SleezerZ likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

This would make driving much more challenging and interesting.

I mean, when asking these types of questions, you really should be asking why the system is currently designed as it is, and if GTA would be improved with such a change in design. Remember, these are video games, not simulations, so we shouldn't be blindly going for whatever is more realistic - it's why video games are as they are.

What's the gameplay of GTA? The core gameplay? What principles drive the fun of the game? How is the 30 seconds of fun approached in the series? Where is realism tossed aside to foster gameplay? How have these questions been approached in recent iterations of the series, and why?

From a game design perspective, of course. Not a singular "I want realistic car physics cus that would be kewl lol" but a literal designer's perspective of the video game and how its features interact.

In my view, the idea completely misses the mark, something which is more of a knee-jerk reaction than something that could be regarded as a proper idea.
  • ten-a-penny and DimitriFaustin like this

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Well, snipers elite is a cool game. Detailed slow-motion destruction of NPC vehicles would be kaviar.

Other than that, nah. Wouldn't be that fun after a while.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

I do agree with a stronger damage model, but don't agree with dying in the crash.

You see, GTA is set up, frustratingly, so that you can't observe the results of your mayhem when you pass out from pain, so if you set up a huge chain of explosions but die during the beginning or middle of the chain, you don't get to see the rest of the explosions.

I also crash in GTA. A lot. Sometimes by accident, other times on purpose. I crash on purpose because I like crashing cars, but if I was unable to because I'd die every single time, that would take the fun out of it.

Realism and challenge are not universal quality meters. This is why I like games like Yooka-laylee, saints row IV, and even yakuza 0 even though yakuza 0 also happens to be the most immersive game I've ever played. You have to allow for some fun in your world or else there's no point in the escape.

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and ten-a-penny like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:21 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 22 April 2017 - 11:05 PM.

I would like to see this. Driving around carefree at high speeds in GTA has little to no consequence. I often drive as fast as I can but try avoid crashes and getting my car scratched. It's a little self-imposed mini-game I play is always arriving to my destination in a clean car at the fastest time possible. It forces me to be a good driver. 

Also, if there was repercussion like mangling the car and dying if should only really be at top speeds and from big falls to avoid it happening too often. But it will also force us to drive better, it will add challenge too. Especially in Online. If 4 of you are driving in one car, you'll want a good driver, not just any driver that will bring you all to your deaths. 

And lastly, it would just be so fun, like the old Burnout 3 crash mode, driving and crashing. Just like it was fun to jump out of a moving heli when GTA IV came out to test the ragdoll physics. 

• anthony, LincolnClay and DimitriFaustin like this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:18 AM Edited by Racecarlock, 23 April 2017 - 03:20 AM.

I would like to see this. Driving around carefree at high speeds in GTA has little to no consequence. I often drive as fast as I can but try avoid crashes and getting my car scratched. It's a little self-imposed mini-game I play is always arriving to my destination in a clean car at the fastest time possible. It forces me to be a good driver. 

Also, if there was repercussion like mangling the car and dying if should only really be at top speeds and from big falls to avoid it happening too often. But it will also force us to drive better, it will add challenge too. Especially in Online. If 4 of you are driving in one car, you'll want a good driver, not just any driver that will bring you all to your deaths. 

And lastly, it would just be so fun, like the old Burnout 3 crash mode, driving and crashing. Just like it was fun to jump out of a moving heli when GTA IV came out to test the ragdoll physics. 

I agree that it would be fun, so long as it doesn't instantly result in death and you can observe any mayhem you created.

However, where I disagree is on some of the logic. Nobody should be forced to drive carefully because of realism. I only agree that this would be good because better destruction physics are more fun.

• Mister Pink, ten-a-penny and DimitriFaustin like this

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Also, go play BeamNG.drive and imagine that handling and damage model in GTA.

Mashing the mechanics and models in BNGD with GTA has always been a dream of mine. I'd love to see that level of detail and realism in all vehicles and destructible objects. I think the next GTA, being made on newer gen consoles (I would even speculate a lot of core development done on early kits of the XB Scorpio/PS Pro) will fully utilize the power available on new consoles, just how they pushed X360/PS3 to the limit with the vanilla release.

I dunno about the instadeath function though. I think it could certainly be annoying online and even in single player; perhaps just bringing some of the crash mechanics from IV (projectile launch through the windshield) and adding more (health drop from smacking your head, perhaps a damage-reducing seatbelt function activated by a d-pad button) would blend realism with playability well.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

snip

I agree that it would be fun, so long as it doesn't instantly result in death and you can observe any mayhem you created.

However, where I disagree is on some of the logic. Nobody should be forced to drive carefully because of realism. I only agree that this would be good because better destruction physics are more fun.

Yeah man, of course. Well when I mean forces you to drive carefully, I just mean that when you are pissing down a highway it's in the back of your mind that you could wrap your car around a tree going at top speed. I don't mean driving around like OAP's or anything. More like a thrill of going at high speed and knowing the potential danger. It forces you to think about the situation and at least consider it. What the player does does with that info is entirely down to the player. 

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

Mashing the mechanics and models in BNGD with GTA has always been a dream of mine. I'd love to see that level of detail and realism in all vehicles and destructible objects. I think the next GTA, being made on newer gen consoles (I would even speculate a lot of core development done on early kits of the XB Scorpio/PS Pro) will fully utilize the power available on new consoles, just how they pushed X360/PS3 to the limit with the vanilla release.

I dunno about the instadeath function though. I think it could certainly be annoying online and even in single player; perhaps just bringing some of the crash mechanics from IV (projectile launch through the windshield) and adding more (health drop from smacking your head, perhaps a damage-reducing seatbelt function activated by a d-pad button) would blend realism with playability well.

The BeamNG physics in GTA would be really cool at first but it would get very annoying at times. If you go over a bump kinda wrong you'll shred your tire, any minor impact = radiator damage, any jump = driveshaft broken, etc., not to say the difficulties the AI would have with this, as BeamNG's AI is very bad sometimes. And this would probably take tons of resources to not only calculate all the car physics, but the ragdoll, time of day, weather, weapons, prop physics, etc.

• LaBombaRomba likes this

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

snip

The BeamNG physics in GTA would be really cool at first but it would get very annoying at times. If you go over a bump kinda wrong you'll shred your tire, any minor impact = radiator damage, any jump = driveshaft broken, etc., not to say the difficulties the AI would have with this, as BeamNG's AI is very bad sometimes. And this would probably take tons of resources to not only calculate all the car physics, but the ragdoll, time of day, weather, weapons, prop physics, etc.

True. I think it would have to be more GTA than BNGD, because at its root arcade-style mechanics work better. I think with newer versions of RAGE R* could develop something similar that's more akin to GTA's reckless style.

LaBombaRomba
  • LaBombaRomba

Straya. "Fear denies faith", ⌐■_■

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:51 AM

If you go over a bump kinda wrong you'll shred your tire, any minor impact = radiator damage, any jump = driveshaft broken, etc.,

Anyone that's played Beamng will understand lol.

On-topic, I think V held your hand way too much in terms of the driving, made it nearly impossible for me to enjoy collisions, so I think a mix of that and IV would be best.

Also, they could just increase the visual damage more? That way we still get interesting crashes (providing the handling is also a bit better) and people can still drive away after a fairly big collision.

• Darth Absentis likes this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

I honestly would not mind instant dead if vehicles crash into walls against insane speeds and they are less good at offroading when comparing things with GTA 5, but beyond that, i really think that a fair share of surreal things happening in this game are amazing.

Though ridiculous compared to real life, in its own twisted way it makes sense that, for an example, if a vehicle has a roll cage and such and is used in a gta, it could take any drop and still keep going.

same for ramming people with a "super diamond" and having barely any damage :p

Sure i liked how single player had more detailed collision models in gtao

I how ever never ever liked how you could fly trough your window when ramming something, same for how easy some vehicles actually broke down.

Dwnld
  • Dwnld

Titles are useless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

Flying through windshield is so FlatOut and should not be used ever again.

That said, I agree that better visual damage modeling would be welcome but not instadeath.

Its really annoying that you can drive like 300 kilometers against a wall and the only thing which results afterwards is a broken front light and some scratches on the bonnet.

In that case GTA is not for you.

• ten-a-penny likes this

quxxo
  • quxxo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:42 PM Edited by quxxo, 01 May 2017 - 09:43 PM.

Describe what GTA is.

Dwnld
  • Dwnld

Titles are useless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

Describe what GTA is.

In addition to other things, it's an open world game where you can crash on a wall at 300 km/h and get only minor visual damage on the car and surviving the crash. I've played GTA games since day one and I don't want to see that big changes. I don't want another Mafia.

Also cars shouldn't be able to explode or catch fire from crashes alone. Instead they just get crushed.

Why? Cars can catch fires even without crashes. They rarely (if ever) explode even when burning but they can definitely catch fire. So crashes alone causing a fire isn't unrealistic if thats your point.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Great Britain
  • Great Britain

Dieu et mon droit

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

2rw9s2q.jpg

• ten-a-penny likes this

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

Liberty City Hitman

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

No way please. Some people here want to ruin GTA with manually shifting gears, instant death after a car crash, etc.

• ten-a-penny likes this

*DERGaming
  • *DERGaming

I am back

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:09 AM

GTA should be GTA and Mafia should be Mafia, although I wouldn't mind the IV crash system.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

DoomsdayFAN
  • DoomsdayFAN

ICE

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

They very badly need to fix the car/driving physics for GTA 6. It was way too easy to flip over in V and if you'd hit a little bump you'd fly 30 feet into the air. It was completely ridiculous. I want driving physics to feel relatively real, and I want to feel the car's weight. I want the car to realistically move around corners, and of course I want it cause a more realistic crash, both for the car and the passenger. 

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:55 PM Edited by mariana_dm1989, 03 May 2017 - 04:57 PM.

I liked the durability of the fully armored vehicles in gtav. It keeps the beautifully modded vehicles in good shape as its not as fun driving an ugly wreck of a vehicle, but maybe it would be nice to have extreme vehicle damage and instant death in hardcore high speed crashes
,as it would make the player feel like there is something to lose by messing up on the road. Games without some sort of consequences for wreckless play aren't really that fun for mature gamers.

Tengerecki
  • Tengerecki

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

I agree.

Car damage and driving physics should GREATLY be improved. This game is mostly about cars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users