Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Rockstar only going to be releasing GTA and RDR in the future?

15 replies to this topic
Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

At this point I think it's quite safe to say that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be delayed. If they wanted to release it this fall then they would have been giving us news and updates at this point. My guess is that we are probably looking at a spring or fall 2018 release instead. 

If that's the case then there will be a 5 year gap between RDR2 and their last major release which was GTA V in 2013. R* said in a Q&A session that they "have so many games that they want to make but the issue is always one of timing and limited bandwidth". 

The question is if we will have to wait another 5 years after RDR2 is released for their next major game. Then it has to be GTA VI because there has been a 10 year gap (!) since the last installment in the series. And like they said themselves, it's about timing. It can't go too long for a game in a franchise to be released because then players will probably lose interest. 

But the question is how can Rockstar have time to make any other games than GTA and RDR with this current release schedule that they have? I know that these are their two best selling franchises, but Rockstar has always been known to take risks and try to make something new.

I hope that they have used these 5 years to develop other games simultaneously with RDR2. But I'm not sure since it seems like all their studios and employees are working on it. 

• BurnettVice and mombo2811 like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:15 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 15 April 2017 - 03:17 PM.

They don't allocate full bandwidth to one single project, no AAA studio does this. I'm sure North is already doing something about GTA VI as well, it's a matter of having teams allocated for it. I'll only call delay in May or June, because for all we know, they could be releasing the game in December.

Also, studios like Rockstar usually make (and sometimes scrap) several projects. Look at Agent, and there have been reports a Bully 2 was in the works more than once after being scrapped years ago. I'm almost sure we'll see a new IP one of these days.
  • The7thOne, Payne Killer, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

'Jabalous' in a previous life

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

To be precise, the time difference between GTA V and RDR2 would be 4 years and not 5 provided that the latter will release on time. As for whether we will have to wait another 4 or 5 years for a new game after RDR2, it depends. R* is still expanding and has recently established an official studio in India to help in developing their mega and extremely detailed worlds, but even so, the trend might keep swinging between 3 to 5 years from a release to another and this would depend on the type of game under development. A Max Payne game wouldn't need the development time that GTA or RDR needs, not even Bully would if it is going to be resurrected. In the present, it's hard to predict how R* will function and what patterns they would follow and the reason is that it didn't happen before that 4 years passed without a new release from them, and we're currently witnessing a shift of focus to an always-expanding Online model. I'm only confident that the era of releasing a new AAA game every 2 years or so is finished and it was fun while it lasted. 

• DimitriFaustin and mombo2811 like this

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

I'm 99.5% confident that RDR2's not going to be delayed, they aren't marketing it that much because this is Rockstar. That's how they like to roll. People had to wait one year before the second GTA V trailer so that says something. I'm pretty sure Rockstar Toronto is working on the game after Red Dead Redemption 2, either a Bully sequel or a new IP. About the next GTA, North is split into 4 teams and one is working on the next GTA. I was worried that we'd have to wait a long time for the next GTA too but it doesn't look like it'll take that long. Sure we still probably have to wait til around 2021 for a release but i think we'll see an announcement in 2 or 3 years.

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

To be precise, the time difference between GTA V and RDR2 would be 4 years and not 5 provided that the latter will release on time. As for whether we will have to wait another 4 or 5 years for a new game after RDR2, it depends. R* is still expanding and has recently established an official studio in India to help in developing their mega and extremely detailed worlds, but even so, the trend might keep swinging between 3 to 5 years from a release to another and this would depend on the type of game under development. A Max Payne game wouldn't need the development time that GTA or RDR needs, not even Bully would if it is going to be resurrected. In the present, it's hard to predict how R* will function and what patterns they would follow and the reason is that it didn't happen before that 4 years passed without a new release from them, and we're currently witnessing a shift of focus to an always-expanding Online model. I'm only confident that the era of releasing a new AAA game every 2 years or so is finished and it was fun while it lasted. 

Let's say that Red Dead Online will be a success equal to that of GTA Online. Then I'm sure Rockstar and Take-Two would want to capitalize on that as much as possible. We already know that they like to focus on one game at the time. But with 4-5 years between each of their major release I don't see how they can create any other games than GTA and RDR. It remains to be seen though. You never know with Rockstar.

• mombo2811 likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Nope. They will make other games and even newer IPs.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

Probably, especially with how long it takes these days for them to release a new game

BurnettVice
  • BurnettVice

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:40 AM

That would suck if they did. Give me Max Payne 4, Manhunt 3, and...Agent!!!

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

It will be cool to get a Midnight Club with 4 or 5 cities and all types of cars but Online-only.

mombo2811
  • mombo2811

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

I think the series ended with Max Payne 3...

Efreet
  • Efreet

'Jabalous' in a previous life

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Max Payne 3 was worth doing for experimenting with Euphoria and the result has been the most satisfactory TPS for death animations and bullet hit reactions. I'm not sure how the genre can be further improved to be worth looking at again by R*, unless they find it creative to continue writing Max's bleak monologues.
  • BLOOD likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Max Payne 3 was worth doing for experimenting with Euphoria and the result has been the most satisfactory TPS for death animations and bullet hit reactions. I'm not sure how the genre can be further improved to be worth looking at again by R*, unless they find it creative to continue writing Max's bleak monologues.

Rockstar is the father of Action-Adventure, Open-World, Crime, Free-roaming, Non-Linear, and Western games genres so i think critics were expecting Max Payne 3 to be a little bit opened and not linear.

quxxo
  • quxxo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 5 days ago Edited by quxxo, 5 days ago.

No it didn't. Max Payne is a popular title. If they aren't going to continue the series, they are going to sell it to other developer (maybe Remedy?)

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

When do you ever see big developers sell IP's? It's incredibly rare. They're not really valuable either, no where enough to warrant selling it over sitting on it incase they want to use it again in the future.

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 5 days ago

No it didn't. Max Payne is a popular title. If they aren't going to continue the series, they are going to sell it to other developer (maybe Remedy?)

Max Payne 3 was a flop sales wise. Max Payne 2 as well. I love the Max Payne series but I think they are done with that.

JamesG
  • JamesG

GoodFellas

• Members
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

It will be cool to get a Midnight Club with 4 or 5 cities and all types of cars but Online-only.

giphy.gif

Some people still like single player, you know... I'd love a new Midnight Club game, and I'd love if it had a single player story as they all do. 

Maybe something like NFS I guess, where you got your single player story but it all takes place in an online world. No micro-transactions and Pay2Win sh*t like The Crew... And GTA Online. Ugh.

• theGTAking101 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users