Photo

Desktop DAC for $300?

4 replies to this topic
Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:35 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 13 April 2017 - 04:38 PM.

So I am looking for a good sound interface\DAC for my PC to use with studio monitors. I was previously looking at Scarlett stuff from Focusrite but people are complaining about the headphone ports not outputting a strong enough signal (probably lacking amps). So here are my requirements. I need a DAC that is:

- Windows 10 compatbile
- Preferably has 2 headphone outputs
- Multiple instrument\mic inputs
- TRS or XLR monitor outputs
- and S/PDIF input (modern gaming consoles have that as output for sound)

I am willing to spend a little more if it's worth it. Most of the stuff I looked at doesn't seem to be as feature packed as the Focusrite stuff (at my price level) so I'm interested in your suggestions.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

How about an AudioEngine D2?

http://audioengineus...it-Wireless-DAC

24- bit wireless DAC from a brand known for the outstanding quality of their audio hardware and incredible value for money.

Optical/USB in, Optical/Analogue out. W10 compatible. Plus the wireless. Not sure what they have in the way of headphone outputs on the transmitter side but the receivers certainly do.

I've got it's little brother, the D1, which is outstanding as a desktop DAC and headphone amp. I drive it straight off my motherboard over TOSLINK/SPDIF and output to a pair of active A2 speakers (soon to be replaced) or my K550s, the sound quality is astounding for the price. Plan is to add an N22 amp and a pair of HDP6 passive speakers for a full on audiophile grade system.

For that matter the D1 meets many of your criteria too, at less than $200

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:13 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 14 April 2017 - 04:18 AM.

I forgot to add that I'm planning to use this equipment to produce music. I'm not sure that having the wireless feature would bring any benefit to me. As high quality as their stuff might be it's a little minimalistic for studio use. I do need instrument inputs as I am planning to get a keyboard\synth at some point as well. Also, having RCA as outputs is an odd choice to me given that a lot of high-end speakers don't even have that. It's mostly TRS\XLR these days.

I see that you are going for the same brand for everything. I can't fault that but why would you use passive speakers? For $500 you can get a decent pair of active ones. In fact the Yamahas I want to get (HS8) are only slightly more expensive and they are universally praised in the producer scene (plus they have 8" woofers). They also do not come with RCA inputs. There are DACs out there that come with amps and everything. There's no need for so much gear when you can get it all packed into one device. But I'm not sure what to get yet.

Edit: I'm actually willing to spend as much as $500 if it's worth it.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

I'm going passive speakers because I'm powering them from an active desktop amplifier. All else being equal, passive speakers and external amp will produce better fidelity than active speakers with an integrated amp.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:27 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 15 April 2017 - 01:56 PM.

Edit: I think I found the right one. Reviews are pretty good and it meets all of my criteria.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users