Quantcast

» «
Photo

Back to mobile version & using arrow keys

Best Answer RogerWho, 13 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

I think it's an issue with your browser rather than anything we can do.

I don't have a problem with any other mobile site.

Like I said, even GTAF does load with mobile version by default so the browser clearly is recognized as such initially.

The user agent clearly says: "Mozilla/5.0 (Android 6.0; Mobile; rv:52.0) Gecko/52.0 Firefox/52.0"

If I'd tick the 'Request desktop version' option in FF, it would identify itself as a desktop browser. Without that, it's clearly a mobile browser.

Yea I could clear the cookies (I doubt cache has much to do with that) but that's a PITA to do it every time I'd need to switch back and forth as it clears all the logins and stuff.

Anyway, to troubleshoot this, I overrode the UA to identify as Chrome for Android and the mobile link is now there. I'm guessing it's a bug in mobile detection in your system rather than a FF bug.

I have had the same issue as well on Firefox on Android and I don't think there's any other option to do that unfortunately on Firefox and Opera.

If Opera has the same issue, then it's clearly a bug in GTAF as Opera uses the same WebKit engine as Chrome so there shouldn't be any difference in how the browsers behave on a system level.

I guess I'll just leave the UA set to Chrome to avoid incompatibilities like that.

Go to the full post

6 replies to this topic
RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

I have 2 unrelated questions.

1) I switched to full version on my phone and I'd like to switch back to the mobile version. How can I do that? Apart from clearing all the cookies. I use Firefox on Android.

2) This is more like a bug report.

Often when typing, the arrow keys don't work and neither does the Delete key. They just have no effect; the cursor doesn't move or delete the character. Typing and Backspace work though. This makes editing the typed text inconvenient.

On desktop, I use Mozilla Seamonkey browser so I thought it's because of that, but I'm noticing the same on FF on Android (when using a physical keyboard or swiping on the spacebar with GBoard).

Strangely, it doesn't happen all the time. I believe it happens mostly when replying to a thread with quoting, but not when posting a new thread or editing an existing post. I think; I haven't really looked too hard into it.

Is this a known issue?

Kthxbai

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

For the first one, at the bottom left of the page next to "Change Theme" and "Help" there should be the option for "Use Mobile Version".

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hm. I have no such link there.

But I checked Safari on an iPod Touch and the link does appear.

Perhaps the mobile version of FF isn't recognized as a mobile browser? But it does load the mobile version of GTAF by default, so I dunno. I didn't mess with the UA.

I tried checking and unchecking 'request desktop site', no change.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

I think it's an issue with your browser rather than anything we can do. If the "use mobile version" link doesn't appear then your browser is loading it as if you're in desktop mode, as the link only strictly appears on mobile devices, so that means  something in your settings needs to be ticked/unticked. I can't say for sure which as I don't use Firefox. Are you not able to log out and clear your cache? Does the same happen on any other sites with mobile versions?

As for the typing issues, the text editor on mobile is pretty awful, but until we upgrade to v4 sometime this year we're stuck with it.

Blondie
  • Blondie

So if you want it right now, then make him show you how.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

I switched to full version on my phone and I'd like to switch back to the mobile version. How can I do that? Apart from clearing all the cookies. I use Firefox on Android.

I have had the same issue as well on Firefox on Android and I don't think there's any other option to do that unfortunately on Firefox and Opera. When I change the mobile version to the full version and want to go back to the mobile version, I usually delete the web history and cookies, then I go back to GTAForums and then the website is changed to the mobile version, so everything like you did before, I guess.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:07 PM   Best Answer Edited by RogerWho, 13 April 2017 - 08:17 PM.

I think it's an issue with your browser rather than anything we can do.

I don't have a problem with any other mobile site.

Like I said, even GTAF does load with mobile version by default so the browser clearly is recognized as such initially.

The user agent clearly says: "Mozilla/5.0 (Android 6.0; Mobile; rv:52.0) Gecko/52.0 Firefox/52.0"

If I'd tick the 'Request desktop version' option in FF, it would identify itself as a desktop browser. Without that, it's clearly a mobile browser.

Yea I could clear the cookies (I doubt cache has much to do with that) but that's a PITA to do it every time I'd need to switch back and forth as it clears all the logins and stuff.

Anyway, to troubleshoot this, I overrode the UA to identify as Chrome for Android and the mobile link is now there. I'm guessing it's a bug in mobile detection in your system rather than a FF bug.

I have had the same issue as well on Firefox on Android and I don't think there's any other option to do that unfortunately on Firefox and Opera.

If Opera has the same issue, then it's clearly a bug in GTAF as Opera uses the same WebKit engine as Chrome so there shouldn't be any difference in how the browsers behave on a system level.

I guess I'll just leave the UA set to Chrome to avoid incompatibilities like that.

• Kirsty likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Good Life

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Firefox has a lot of issues on Android when browsing any Forum running IPB 3. I prefer Opera Mini (for Mobile version) and UC Browser (for Desktop version) when browsing on my phone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users