Crew Section Community Calendar

3 replies to this topic
WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

WHAT!?

• The Precinct
  • United-States
  • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:30 PM Edited by WHAT!?, 12 April 2017 - 01:46 PM.

Why hello there and welcome to here.

I just wanted to throw this out as a concept to see if anyone else would be into the feature. Quite a few free boards out there have an option for the implementation of a calendar to schedule events and even link back to topics related to those events. The advantage is that it provides an at a glance look at what is coming up with times usually synced to whatever an individual user has their timezone set to within the forum. So for something like a meetup within GTA V it eliminates a lot of the need to qualify what time of day an event is happening by providing a timezone for you. It's also good for general organization as it allows people to plan around other events.

Something like a community calendar for the crew section here could help with the organization of death matching tournaments, racing, circle jerks, whatever. Click on a day, you're shown a list of events. Click on the event, you are taken to a forum topic with more information. Like so.

I've noticed quite a few crews (obviously mine included) mainly create their own forums for tools like these. Or at least that was my main reason for going outside of GTAForums since the focus of the crew is meetups. If we were to have these kinds of feature sets here it might keep more crew activity within these boards. A further advantage to this for crews is obviously that more people are likely to see any events you have coming up since GTAF's user base is quite a bit larger than JoeBlowsFreeBoards.com It could be a great addition to our Crew Events section.

It'd also be a good idea to be able to separate events by platform. [PC][XB1][PS4] ... that way you don't have overlap for an event that isn't actually taking place on a given platform.

Yee.

• uNi, Kirsty, RedDagger and 6 others like this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

That's a great idea. :^:

• WHAT!?, Leone Family and Absar J Khan like this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

I love this idea as well. For a Moderator point of view it would be a great tool to control some actions taken. I'm still using windows notepad to remind me to follow up on this and that.

Does this feature have a setting for private view? Can the calendar be set to only allow certain members or groups to view?

• WHAT!? and Leone Family like this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

WHAT!?

• The Precinct
  • United-States
  • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I love this idea as well. For a Moderator point of view it would be a great tool to control some actions taken. I'm still using windows notepad to remind me to follow up on this and that.

Does this feature have a setting for private view? Can the calendar be set to only allow certain members or groups to view?

I mean, since this is just me spitballing something that the staff here would need to implement, I can't really say exactly how it would work. It's going to be dependent on the forum software that is used.

For my forums the calendar works by using the "Add Event" button when creating a topic. Since the topic links back to the calendar through this feature from whatever forum you have created it in, the permissions set on the topic are dictated by the part of the forum you created the topic in. So for example if you create a topic in a general section that is visible to all users, then the topic will be visible to anyone who views the calendar. However if you create a topic in a hidden forum, then that topic is only visible to members that have been granted access to that hidden forum. So something created in the mod cave should not be visible to all users.

I would imagine that forum admin tools would allow you to decide where to enable or disable the feature as well in relation to topic creation. It also seems like you should be able to create separate calendars for separate boards, but that's a bit outside the scope of what I was originally talking about here, and again, would depend on what forum software you choose to use and what options are given to you through it. My only experience is with the free proboards software which is fairly clunky to get around in. 

• Leone Family likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users