Photo

will it be a disappointment?

94 replies to this topic
Dee.
  • Dee.

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:06 PM Edited by DeeDogg_, 17 May 2017 - 12:58 AM.

I wouldn't say IV was hated, when it released though it was very divisive and got a lot of criticism for not being SA II, far more than V has, and even to this day on other forums and social media I see it has its fair share of detractors like V. Since RDR was near universally praised by gamers, hopefully that means Rockstar know what Red Dead fans want, but the success of GTA Online still has me worried.

ditto. I havent seen any real hate towards IV ever except for a few select message board but those posts were from 2008

• Piggsy pls likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

No matter how you feel about GTA V it is the way it is in large part because the previous game was so badly hated on.

Tell us why GTA IV was so different than San Andreas. Was it because people hated SA?

• Dee. likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

No matter how you feel about GTA V it is the way it is in large part because the previous game was so badly hated on.

Tell us why GTA IV was so different than San Andreas. Was it because people hated SA?

They wanted to go in a new direction and not repeat themselves but they didn't expect IV to get the backlash that it did. IV was a labor of love and a game that they wanted to make. You can see the passion and thought that went into it but much of the general public didn't see it that way. No GTA before IV received the kind of widespread hate that it got and it threw them for a loop. They saw that it wasn't over the top like SA and it was too serious or gritty or whatever else they found wrong with it so when it came time for a sequel they did a 180 with V. The RDR series doesn't have that problem. The previous game is a beloved by the general public so R will not feel like they have to go in a completely different direction. 

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

Can you show me this "insane backlash" R* received? How did it affect the games sales and reception? I dont think it left a mark. And what makes you think the grittyess or the serious storyline was a "problem" what the f*ck are you talking about? Thats what most people talk about when they praise the game.

And no, they didnt do a 180 do to those bullsh*t "problems" they did it because every GTA is different. 

• DexPac and Jason like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

JUst do a google search on GTA IV and backlash.

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

JUst do a google search on GTA IV and backlash.

Way to back yourself up.Theres backlash towards any R* or game or any other game. Whether its politically, controversial, or something that has to do with the game. All I see there is that the driving is bad and the missions are repetitive. And to that I say, to each their own. Different strokes for different folks. 

Its just the usual "ITS NOT SA 2" complaints that i brought up earlier. Its typical with sequels. GTA4 is a different game, like any GTA game. For better or worse? Idk its up to you 

• DexPac, Jason and Payne Killer like this

infectedG636
  • infectedG636

Red Dead Redemption 2 Prediction Release date: 05/08/2018

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

In response to the topic title.....I hope not lol.

DexPac
  • DexPac

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:39 PM

Yeah, GTA 4 got it's fair share of complaints, I think they all have since Vice City and that's mostly because, like DeeDogg_ said, they're always changing. People complained about the car handling in GTA IV but when V came out people complained that the car handling wasn't the same as IV's. Alotta complaints about having to eat in San Andreas turned into alotta complaints about not having to eat in IV.

With a franchise as popular as GTA, every time you take something out you're taking out something a lot of people like and they're gonna complain about it. Same goes for when something is added or just changed. The thing to remember is that typically these people are a very vocal minority complaining about very specific things, not the games as a whole and I don't think Rockstar evolves their games based on those complaints.

I don't see how Red Dead Redemption 2 can avoid this. If it evolves the way every GTA does then that probly means some things are going to be changed or removed entirely and people will complain about that. Or things will be added to the game that people don't like and they'll complain about that. Odds are these people will remain a very vocal minority though.
  • Jason, Meekail and Dee. like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:05 AM

They wanted to go in a new direction and not repeat themselves but they didn't expect IV to get the backlash that it did. IV was a labor of love and a game that they wanted to make. You can see the passion and thought that went into it but much of the general public didn't see it that way. No GTA before IV received the kind of widespread hate that it got and it threw them for a loop. They saw that it wasn't over the top like SA and it was too serious or gritty or whatever else they found wrong with it so when it came time for a sequel they did a 180 with V. The RDR series doesn't have that problem. The previous game is a beloved by the general public so R will not feel like they have to go in a completely different direction. 

Well Redemption is just as serious, dark and gritty (if not more) as GTA IV . We also have to remember too the GTA fanbase is much larger and more established than the Red Dead series is. Peoples' expectations are different. I bet for most people Redemption was their first Western game. Hell a lot of people never realised it was a sequel.

Also seeing as the Western genre is fairly niche it's unlikely R* would've felt complied to change direction even if Redemption received a mixed reaction like GTA IV unless they went for something more satirical and goofy like the ​Blazing Saddles movie.

• Payne Killer and Dee. like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

If RDR received the same reaction as IV there would be no RDR 2.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:02 AM

How do you even know that? You act like GTA IV was a universally sh*t canned game like Ride To Hell or something that had no chance of ever producing another sequel. :/

• Meekail, Zello and Payne Killer like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:07 AM

How do you even know that? You act like GTA IV was a universally sh*t canned game like Ride To Hell or something that had no chance of ever producing another sequel. :/

Because if a new franchise gets a mixed reaction there is little motivation to do another one. I know it is technically a sequel but very few people know about Red Dead Revolver. GTA was already a beloved franchise before IV came out so they tried again with a sequel.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:10 AM

To a lot of people it probably will become a disappointment "We Miss John." "This new guy is terrible" "It isn't the same as Red Dead Redemption." I'll probably enjoy the game.

• Holland_Hicks likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

Because if a new franchise gets a mixed reaction there is little motivation to do another one. I know it is technically a sequel but very few people know about Red Dead Revolver. GTA was already a beloved franchise before IV came out so they tried again with a sequel.

Watch Dogs springs to mind. Many people didn't like the first game, but they were still motivated enough to do a sequel.

Whether people loved GTA IV's new direction or not it still doesn't change the fact in R*'s eyes it was a financial and critical success. Even the beloved 3D era games still had their critics. GTA IV might be a divisive game, but there's no way to know had Redemption got the "Um..uh...oh that's actually quite cool" kind reception GTA IV got it wouldn't produce another game.

As others have said each GTA game strides to be different from the last so with that you're likely going to get a bigger range of opinions/feelings among the fanbase than the considerably smaller Red Dead one.

Sticking to the idea of this thread even if R* play it safe and stick to the formula that worked for Redemption it doesn't guarantee this game won't be a disappointment. R* have to be careful here as they don't want to play it too ​safe where barely anything's changed, but not tinker around too much where it loses its charm from Redemption.

So to me there's still an element of potential disappointment if R* assume they can just copy and paste everything that worked in 2010 and apply today. GTAO''s deadly poison has the potential to really f*ck things up if R* get it wrong by putting it in the game.

• anthony and Dee. like this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:23 AM

Watch Dogs springs to mind. Many people didn't like the first game, but they were still motivated enough to do a sequel.

Whether people loved GTA IV's new direction or not it still doesn't change the fact in R*'s eyes it was a financial and critical success. Even the beloved 3D era games still had their critics. GTA IV might be a divisive game, but there's no way to know had Redemption got the "Um..uh...oh that's actually quite cool" kind reception GTA IV got it wouldn't produce another game.

As others have said each GTA game strides to be different from the last so with that you're likely going to get a bigger range of opinions/feelings among the fanbase than the considerably smaller Red Dead one.

Sticking to the idea of this thread even if R* play it safe and stick to the formula that worked for Redemption it doesn't guarantee this game won't be a disappointment. R* have to be careful here as they don't want to play it too ​safe where barely anything's changed, but not tinker around too much where it loses its charm from Redemption.

So to me there's still an element of potential disappointment if R* assume they can just copy and paste everything that worked in 2010 and apply today. GTAO''s deadly poison has the potential to really f*ck things up if R* get it wrong by putting it in the game.

Dont  mind woggleman's blatant hate against GTA4..I mean "One of his favorite games"

He's stuck in a universe where a game with a 98 metacritic and more than 25 million copies sold with lots of fans still 8 years later is a game with "mixed reception"

• A.O.D.88 likes this

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

Why are people blatantly denying the amount of hate GTA IV got at launch? I didn't really play it that much back then and I still remember the backlash it constantly, this backlash died overtime as it mostly spawned from hype.

I used to be one of those people who disliked GTA IV for is sudden change in gameplay and style, though it grew on me overtime, now it's being praised as being one of the best open world games.
  • Algonquin Assassin and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I don't have hate against IV. It is one of my favorite games ever but I am not delusional about how it was received from the public. This forum lives in an alternate universe where IV was this universally beloved game and R changed the formula because they apparently hate the core fanbase which is far from the truth. 

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

But the GTA IV backlash mainly came from internet forums, keep in mind those people didn't even come close to representing a fraction of the people who played (and still play) GTA IV. It's the same thing with V. Looking at this forum and on certain Youtube videos you'd think it were considered a bad game, but the general public mostly considers it to be an improvement over IV.

Case in point, look at GTA Online, it's treated like the worst thing ever here, yet somehow on this same forum, it's won "Favorite GTA title" on the census two (or more?) times in a row, and it's still as popular as ever today.

Internet forums aren't really a good place to judge how the general public views a piece of entertainment.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Meekail and Payne Killer like this

anthony
  • anthony

Nobody cares, nobody f*cking cares.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:10 PM Edited by anthony, 19 May 2017 - 12:13 PM.

It won't be a disappointment unless they don't include most if not everything from RDR  (water down principal gameplay elements from previous games) and finally, if they choose the writers from GTA 5. Otherwise I think I'll be safe.

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

Why are people blatantly denying the amount of hate GTA IV got at launch? I didn't really play it that much back then and I still remember the backlash it constantly, this backlash died overtime as it mostly spawned from hype.

I used to be one of those people who disliked GTA IV for is sudden change in gameplay and style, though it grew on me overtime, now it's being praised as being one of the best open world games.

We acknowledged that. And its usual for sequels that arent a carbon copy of the prequel. It  was basically "NO PLANES! DRIVING SUCKS! YOU CANT GET FAT!!" complaints

I don't have hate against IV. It is one of my favorite games ever but I am not delusional about how it was received from the public. This forum lives in an alternate universe where IV was this universally beloved game and R changed the formula because they apparently hate the core fanbase which is far from the truth. 

Yeah only us crazy hipsers loved IV back in 2008! Those multiple 10/10s and the millions of copies are just hoaxes!!! Great detective work, woggleman

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

We acknowledged that. And its usual for sequels that arent a carbon copy of the prequel. It  was basically "NO PLANES! DRIVING SUCKS! YOU CANT GET FAT!!" complaints

Yeah only us crazy hipsers loved IV back in 2008! Those multiple 10/10s and the millions of copies are just hoaxes!!! Great detective work, woggleman

Reviewers gave it 10s and got roasted online because of it and while it sold millions of copies. The brand new SP DLC sold very poorly while people keep buying different versions of V over and over again. If IV was better received EFLC would have sold much better.

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:20 PM Edited by DeeDogg_, 19 May 2017 - 11:17 PM.

Reviewers gave it 10s and got roasted online because of it and while it sold millions of copies. The brand new SP DLC sold very poorly while people keep buying different versions of V over and over again. If IV was better received EFLC would have sold much better.

are you seriously comparing expansion pack sales to the sales of a completely revamped game on more powerful and faster populating hardware? have you gone off the deep end?

and while gta4 did receive little backlash, the reason the sales for the dlcs were low is because they were exclusive for xbox for multiple months

• A.O.D.88 likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:25 PM

If you're going to use metrics to explain why people think GTA IV sucked, you should know that it was basically an ever present in the top 5 most played games on Xbox 360 during it's entire life span. PS3 most played charts were never released, but seeing as platforms tend to mirror each other (barring exclusives, of course) you can bet PS3 was the same. It also held a healthy (modder-filled) playerbase on PC.

All those people playing must have really hated the game.

• Zello and Dee. like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

are you seriously comparing expansion pack sales to the sales of a completely revamped game on more powerful and faster populating hardware? have you gone off the deep end?

and while gta4 did receive little backlash, the reason the sales for the dlcs were low is because they were exclusive for xbox for multiple months

Console exclusives can sell well. Look at the Uncharted series, The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn did quite well. Halo does quite well for X Box exclusives and Breath of the Wild is a big seller. The point is that a lot of people chose to buy multiple versions of the same game plus pay for online money instead of buying brand new content for IV.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 PM Edited by Jason, 19 May 2017 - 11:43 PM.

Console exclusives can sell well. Look at the Uncharted series, The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn did quite well. Halo does quite well for X Box exclusives and Breath of the Wild is a big seller. The point is that a lot of people chose to buy multiple versions of the same game plus pay for online money instead of buying brand new content for IV.

None of those games listed sell GTA-like numbers. You're comparing DLC sales for a game that released on three platforms to full-game sales for a game that released on five. It's a poor comparison.

• Dee. likes this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:02 AM

Keep digging, woggle. 

• Payne Killer likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

But the GTA IV backlash mainly came from internet forums, keep in mind those people didn't even come close to representing a fraction of the people who played (and still play) GTA IV. It's the same thing with V. Looking at this forum and on certain Youtube videos you'd think it were considered a bad game, but the general public mostly considers it to be an improvement over IV.

Case in point, look at GTA Online, it's treated like the worst thing ever here, yet somehow on this same forum, it's won "Favorite GTA title" on the census two (or more?) times in a row, and it's still as popular as ever today.

Internet forums aren't really a good place to judge how the general public views a piece of entertainment.

Luckily real GTA fans know the wiser then and aren't fooled by flashy graphics and a map that's as empty as Homer Simpson's head. :p

• anthony, Piggsy pls and Payne Killer like this

A.O.D.88
  • A.O.D.88

Brian Jeremy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:54 AM Edited by A.O.D.88, 20 May 2017 - 06:57 AM.

EXACTLY! Xbox 360 got A WHOLE YEAR  of platform exclusivity and woggleman can't figure out how the sales for EFLC were so skewed with PS3 and PC being locked out for that long!!!!

It's just Rockstar and their fanboy's with their willful ignorance in doing anything they can to justify this hideous over-focus on GTA Online!!!!!!

• Payne Killer likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Luckily real GTA fans know the wiser then and aren't fooled by flashy graphics and a map that's as empty as Homer Simpson's head. :p
Actually that's unlucky for us cause we're the minority. :p
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Anybody who playes GTA and enjoys it is a real GTA fan.

• Dee. likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users