Cyberpunk 2077 vs GTA 6

12 replies to this topic
AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

For the first time in history I believe GTA has a real competitor. True Crime, Watch Dogs, Getaway, Saints Row were all child's play. CB2077 will be out in 2019-2021 which i believe is the same time frame as GTA 6. I believe this competition is good and will make Rockstar really go that extra mile for quality maybe update their gameplay a bit as well. Ofc a cyberpunk setting is something I always wanted from Rockstar, GTA: Neo Tokyo (yes i know GTA 2 was cyberpunk)  but I doubt they will leave the contemporary setting.

What do you guys think? Will CDPR challenge Rockstar for the openworld genre?

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Cyberpunk is an RPG. GTA is a third-person open world crime game. Two very different games on our hands...in The Witcher 3's case increasing the map size makes sense due to the sheer amount of side quests the game contains. Also, much of TW3's terrain (and many other fantasy RPGs) is procedurally generated or in a way that requires less care than a realistic setting. What does GTA contain? Usually side activities, random characters, and more often than not an airport - maybe some countryside too, but that's really pushing it.

The point is that they're two different games that accomplish different goals. Detail is subjective when it comes to what kind of game it is. For Cyberpunk that may change due to a modern setting but I still think this argument is slightly moot.

• Mister Pink, _Rob_, Payne Killer and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:00 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 April 2017 - 12:18 PM.

CDPR are winning fans and critics alike over with the quality of their games and many fans and game critics have praised how they managed DLC with a mix of free and sizable downloadable content. CDPR are winning in this aspect. I often liken CDPR to Rockstar a few years ago when it felt like Rockstar had a lot to prove. 

When I first played RPGs and then went back to GTA I realised how deeper RPGs are compared to GTA. GTA's can feel kind of shallow in terms of story telling and even gameplay after playing an RPG like The Witcher or Fallout and I often dreamed that Rockstar would develop their games borrowing or at least incorporating RPG elements. Rockstar did attempt to at least put some different endings in IV and toyed with decision making in IV and to a lesser extent V to mixed results. 

To answer your question. I think CDPR will challenge Rockstar in terms of reputation for content and quality but not for fanbase or genre. The good thing about CDPR, although The Witcher has experienced wider audiences I think Cyberpunk will be very successful but not too successful that it doesn't forget it's target audience and just try to please all. GTA is like an every-gamer's game now. The net of GTA allure is so wide that it's attracted a strong following of what we may call casual gamers, people that may play Online, not be bothered with story, is happy to buy Shark Cards and not play to win but pay to win. It's making it very watered down experience, jack of all trades game doing many things but not really doing one thing really really well. 

concentric-circles.png?w=361&h=361

Imagine the centre circle, the lightest more whitish colour is GTA during the 3D era, GTA catered for a more niche type of GTA player. GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas go in there. The lighter blue colour is GTA IV, then GTA V is the mid-blue colour and GTA Online is the dark blue. The circles also represent the size of the the fanbase, from the core to the outer layer.  

The centre circle represents the fans of the III-D era, when open-world crime games were in it's first wave with Rockstar leading the way. 

Personally, I think as GTA moves to the outer ring, GTA Online, and the popularity of it, the game moves away from the core fundamentals of what original fans liked of the game. The outer circles also represent popularity and size of consumer base. New fans, casual fans and fans that don't particularly care for the stories or even GTA's before the HD era but love the Online element. They're also a vocal majority in how GTA is shaped in the future. 

My point is that I think Rockstar's GTA 6 will just add another ring to this graph outside the dark-blue. Whereas CD Project RED and Cyberpunk are still somewhere between the centre-circle and lighter blue. Their appeal is to that core audience and satisfying a particular craving for that type of gaming in that genre and not the outer circles, appealing to more online oriented, casual and pay to win type fans. So in a way, CDPR and Cyberpunk wont really compete with GTA at all not just because of it's different genre and style but because I think the two companies are at different stages in their appeal to potential fan-bases. I can't imagine the Shark-Card purchasing, casual, loves online gaming, doesn't bother with campaigns or stories, outer-circle fan being drawn in by Cyberpunk's more story focused single-player experience (assuming it i those things)

• Nico, MythicalCreature, The7thOne and 4 others like this

Pastry
  • Pastry

you know i had to ring-a-ding do it to em

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:02 PM Edited by Pastry, 12 April 2017 - 02:03 PM.

Let's compare two completely different games that aren't even released yet and both have massive, passionate fanbases. What could go wrong?

• ProKiller93, The Deadite, LincolnClay and 1 other like this

KertFaceMan
  • KertFaceMan

i am born in the olympics.

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

need for speed 2017 vs assassin's creed empire
this is literally what you sound like right now.

• Sunrise Driver and The Deadite like this

AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

i see denial aint just a river in egypt..

• TheHolyNZF likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:32 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 04 May 2017 - 01:38 AM.

Let's compare two completely different games that aren't even released yet and both have massive, passionate fanbases. What could go wrong?

As the OP pointed out, these games will mostly likely be out around the same time.

Both open-word games, both by highly respected developers in the industry. Not everyone can afford brand new games every time. Often times people are made decide between two games, possibly buying one new and one second hand. These games will be competing to very similar demographics. Both of these developers will want their demographics buying new and not on the secondhand market. 

For many of us a CDPR game will be an event like a GTA because it's up there in with the best of Rockstar's work.

KertFaceMan
  • KertFaceMan

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:37 AM

i see denial aint just a river in egypt..

good pun

As the OP pointed out, these games will mostly likely be out around the same time.

Both open-word games, both by highly respected developers in the industry. Not everyone can afford brand new games every time. Often times people are made decide between two games, possibly buying one new and one second hand. These games will be competing to very similar demographics. Both of these developers will want their demographics buying new and not on the secondhand market. 

cod and battlefield are both shooters, but they're different, cyberpunk 2077 is a futuristic game that all we know is that you'll fight in some post-apocalyptic setting or a "the police are corrupt and kill everyone they see" type of game, GTA is a blow everything up and cause chaos game.

*DERGaming
  • *DERGaming

I am back

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:32 AM

Let's do The Dora The Explorer video game vs Battlefield 1 now (joking) but really two completely different types of games

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • European-Union

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:15 AM

>comparing two games that have pretty much nothing in common

"Hey, let's compare Law and Order to Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy."
  • Sunrise Driver likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:30 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 04 May 2017 - 01:50 PM.

@KetFaceMan, DerGaming, Ambient:

The point is, that some of you seem to be overlooking is that both are open-world games of a high standard competing against each other for your wallet. I don't care if they're vastly different, they're both open-world videogames competing in the same market. Most people play more than one game so telling me the differences of genre isn't going change anything. I would wager that close to 100% of people that will buy Cyberpunk would have purchased a GTA in their life because we know open-world gaming is a preference, how it's done, "blow sh*t up" as you've eloquently reduced GTA to, or RPG style, it's all open-world. When someone is out there in GameStop or somewhere and they have Cyberpunk in their left hand and GTA in their right hand and only 60 bucks in their pocket,  they're not thinking about comparing them based on similarities or not, they're thinking which game is a better investment. That's the comparison! They know there will be both large worlds to explore, interesting characters, interesting storyline and countless hours of fun. 

Despite what some of you think, Grand Theft Auto still competes with every game in the market. Yes, it dominates  we know Rockstar still wouldn't like to be releasing their game in the same week or even month as a new CDPR AAA title. Why? Because not everyone can afford to spend 120+ in a month of gaming alone. Whatever game the purchaser buys could be their game for a couple of months then buying the second game secondhand to which the developer will see no revenue from. 

Why some of you think this is a topic comparing 2 games based on similarities... .swooosh over my head, lol. :D Comparisons don't have to be made based on similarities. But if that's what you are looking for:

We're all gamers

We all have a finite amount of cash

We all are anticipating GTA Next

Many of us like open-word games

Cyberpunk is an open-world game

GTA is an open world game.

Many of us are looking forward to both games.

They're both open-world games. To say you can't compare these games based on their different genres RPG vs "blow sh*t up" is a fallacy. Because if we're talking about the outcome for the gamer, ie me and you, then you'll have to assume a player only plays games like Sleeping Dogs, Watch Dogs or more GTA-esque open-worlds. But that's untrue, because for open-world fans, we can play Skyrim, Fallout, GTA,  The Witcher and they all share the common denominator of player freedom in an open-world. As gamers we're not stuck with the choice of only playing a GTA-esque open world game.

if you only play GTA-esque games then comparing the two might seem futile. But if you are an open-world game fan, for example, you love exploration, discovering the world around you, non-linearity, then it makes sense to compare the games.  Why? Because you may or may not buy both of them. 

KertFaceMan
  • KertFaceMan

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

@KetFaceMan, DerGaming, Ambient:

The point is, that some of you seem to be overlooking is that both are open-world games of a high standard competing against each other for your wallet. I don't care if they're vastly different, they're both open-world videogames competing in the same market. Most people play more than one game so telling me the differences of genre isn't going change anything. I would wager that close to 100% of people that will buy Cyberpunk would have purchased a GTA in their life because we know open-world gaming is a preference, how it's done, "blow sh*t up" as you've eloquently reduced GTA to, or RPG style, it's all open-world. When someone is out there in GameStop or somewhere and they have Cyberpunk in their left hand and GTA in their right hand and only 60 bucks in their pocket,  they're not thinking about comparing them based on similarities or not, they're thinking which game is a better investment. That's the comparison! They know there will be both large worlds to explore, interesting characters, interesting storyline and countless hours of fun. 

Despite what some of you think, Grand Theft Auto still competes with every game in the market. Yes, it dominates  we know Rockstar still wouldn't like to be releasing their game in the same week or even month as a new CDPR AAA title. Why? Because not everyone can afford to spend 120+ in a month of gaming alone. Whatever game the purchaser buys could be their game for a couple of months then buying the second game secondhand to which the developer will see no revenue from. 

Why some of you think this is a topic comparing 2 games based on similarities... .swooosh over my head, lol. :D Comparisons don't have to be made based on similarities. But if that's what you are looking for:

We're all gamers

We all have a finite amount of cash

We all are anticipating GTA Next

Many of us like open-word games

Cyberpunk is an open-world game

GTA is an open world game.

Many of us are looking forward to both games.

They're both open-world games. To say you can't compare these games based on their different genres RPG vs "blow sh*t up" is a fallacy. Because if we're talking about the outcome for the gamer, ie me and you, then you'll have to assume a player only plays games like Sleeping Dogs, Watch Dogs or more GTA-esque open-worlds. But that's untrue, because for open-world fans, we can play Skyrim, Fallout, GTA,  The Witcher and they all share the common denominator of player freedom in an open-world. As gamers we're not stuck with the choice of only playing a GTA-esque open world game.

if you only play GTA-esque games then comparing the two might seem futile. But if you are an open-world game fan, for example, you love exploration, discovering the world around you, non-linearity, then it makes sense to compare the games.  Why? Because you may or may not buy both of them. 

actually the players who like "cyberpunk 2077" will most likely not be attracted to the style of GTA, same thing reversed. one is an RPG
the other is a fun and chaos game, this is LITERALLY comparing fallout 4 to GTA V, they do not attract the same audience, this topic should be locked by now anyways.

• Sunrise Driver and Good Hombre like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:07 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 05 May 2017 - 09:10 PM.

actually the players who like "cyberpunk 2077" will most likely not be attracted to the style of GTA,

Ok, then why is the Fallout 4 topic 300 pages long on a GTA forum? Why is the Skyrim topic nearly 300 pages long too? The Witcher 3, 75 pages long. 

What evidence are you using to support that your quoted comment?

Most gamers don't stick to one genre. Just look at anyone's previous gamerscore or game history and you'll see this. 

I own Fallout 4 and GTA. Everyone (almost everyone) in the Fallout 4 topic owns GTA V, being that it's a GTA forum. The realty is GTA/Rockstar competes with games that aren't extremely similar. It's business 101. If GTA was to be released in the same week as a Fallout this would not be ideal for Bethesda or Rockstar. That is a fact.  

But lets get back on topic: 

The op ends his post with this question: 

What do you guys think? Will CDPR challenge Rockstar for the openworld genre?

My answer is yes. CDPR will challenge Rockstar for the open-world genre. Because although they're vastly different games, their success will be measured in the gaming world by their artistic merit and by the games sales. The Witcher's open world was absolutely praised for it's open-world and it's often compared to Rockstar's open worlds because of the meticulous attention to detail, amazing side-missions and rich and fulfilling story. Rockstar has dominated the open-world genre. Remember if we're calling the open-world genre a genre, this includes RPGS and as well as games like Mafia and GTA. It's an umbrella genre.

The Witcher 3 has had huge critical success and expectations are very high for Cyberpunk. There's a huge team working on it (estimated 300 people) and it will be one of the biggest launches that year and it may release in the same year as GTA Next. Both games, in my estimation, will be going head to head for Game of The Year if released in the same year.

In 2015, Polygon (whatever you may think of them) voted The Witcher 3, Best Open-World Game of The Year, beating Assassins Creed and Fallout 4. Obviously there was no GTA out that year but seeing as the OP asks will CDPR challenge Rockstar in the Open-World genre, we can safely assume so. Those articles can sell games and influence gamer opinion. Gamesradar have done an article on top 10 open world games and guess what comes first? Not GTA any way. So there's empirical evidence that Rockstar has previously been challenged in the open-world genre and didn't come out on top. There's not much more I can do. I've provided evidence to support my argument. 

So while GTA series is my favourite series, I'm also aware that other games will challenge Rockstar in the open-world genre. Cyberpunk will be one of them. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users